Author Topic: Nissan Leaf--almost paying me to drive it  (Read 116138 times)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Nissan Leaf--almost paying me to drive it
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »
It seems that the announcement of the 2016 Leaf makes the 2015 ones a problem for dealers. On a hunch I checked one near me. They are offering $14,000 off MSRP on their website. If that is before updates, that means they are offering a new Leaf S for $32,100 - $14,000 = $28,100. Then, take off the $7,500 federal rebate and the $2,000 Pennsylvania rebate, and it's $8600. Makes it tempting to put in power line to my parking pad...

32,100 - 14,000 = 18,100.

Final number is correct but I fatfingered the intermediate difference. Editing to correct.

Editing this to say that the dealership said that their ad was in error. Not a big surprise. As I said to the woman on the phone, I am pretty satisfied with my current car but I was prepared to take advantage if they had lost their minds.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:03:19 PM by ShoulderThingThatGoesUp »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
It seems that the announcement of the 2016 Leaf makes the 2015 ones a problem for dealers. On a hunch I checked one near me. They are offering $14,000 off MSRP on their website. If that is before updates, that means they are offering a new Leaf S for $32,100 - $14,000 = $28,100. Then, take off the $7,500 federal rebate and the $2,000 Pennsylvania rebate, and it's $8600. Makes it tempting to put in power line to my parking pad...

Final number is correct but I fatfingered the intermediate difference. Editing to correct.

Editing this to say that the dealership said that their ad was in error. Not a big surprise. As I said to the woman on the phone, I am pretty satisfied with my current car but I was prepared to take advantage if they had lost their minds.

"Error". Sure. But now that we have you on the phone, let me put you in a brand new Armada XL!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

"Error". Sure. But now that we have you on the phone, let me put you in a brand new Armada XL!

To my surprise she was very respectful of my saying I wasn't interested. Of course I was polite about their snafu too.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
One more question.  How does it drive in the snow?

I bought mine certified pre-owned at the end of February, in Massachusetts.  They put brand new tires on it.  The greasy snow on 30 degree days was no fun on those tires.

I have already purchased snow tires for this winter. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
To my surprise she was very respectful of my saying I wasn't interested. Of course I was polite about their snafu too.

What was the real offer supposed to be?

One more question.  How does it drive in the snow?

I bought mine certified pre-owned at the end of February, in Massachusetts.  They put brand new tires on it.  The greasy snow on 30 degree days was no fun on those tires.

I have already purchased snow tires for this winter. 

I imagine you would want snow tires. The Leaf comes with special low rolling resistance tires that improve energy efficiency. I imagine you'd want something more grippy for snow time.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
What was the real offer supposed to be?

Here is the graphic. According to the woman I talked to the lease somehow saved you $14,000 off MSRP. But she could offer me $5,000 in "Nissan Cash" or whatever along with what the government would give me. Federal rebate of $7500 plus Pennsylvania rebate of $2000 (only available through the end of the year) plus the $5000 = $14,500 which I suspect is what they were thinking.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
I looked at Nissan Leafs briefly because older models sell for so little on the used market.  I talked to a salesperson and he basically said with a 60 mile commute and no charging at work not to do it.  I would be right at the battery capacity and maybe over with heat or air conditioning.

A former co-worker had a Chevy Volt.  He would occasionally rent a spot at a nearby parking garage to charge his Volt.  Seemed silly to spend $6 to charge as he could make his typical commute on battery only with his charge at home.  He also has a gas engine as a backup which a Leaf does not.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
I succumbed to temptation yesterday and went by the local Nissan dealership in a nearby town. (Only 4 miles from where I live, I could walk there if I had to.)

I wanted to get some information on the eNV200, and yeah, maybe talk about a LEAF. The salesguy who "captured" me as I walked toward the building engaged me and was all focused on getting "my information" without really doing anything or telling me anything. We chatted for about 30 minutes and I couldn't get him to tell me anything. not about the eNV200, OR the LEAF. All he was interested in was getting me to lease a LEAF for two years.

I'm sure what happened is, it's been so long since I've bought a new car from a dealership that I'd forgotten what it was like to set foot on their property, and it was painful, very painful.

Anyway, let's just say I'm CURED of my urge to just go by the dealership. I won't buy ANY car without using the "forummm method of buying" that has been discussed in this thread.

I'm a huge EV fan, and daily I wish I owned one. But I effectively simulated what would happen if I discarded my Mustachian beliefs in search of a new EV, and it was painful!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
I looked at Nissan Leafs briefly because older models sell for so little on the used market.  I talked to a salesperson and he basically said with a 60 mile commute and no charging at work not to do it.  I would be right at the battery capacity and maybe over with heat or air conditioning.

A former co-worker had a Chevy Volt.  He would occasionally rent a spot at a nearby parking garage to charge his Volt.  Seemed silly to spend $6 to charge as he could make his typical commute on battery only with his charge at home.  He also has a gas engine as a backup which a Leaf does not.

Hmm,  a co-worker in sacramento leased a LEAF a couple of years ago.  Apparently the incentive was free parking downtown at those charging stations (he had to move it every 4 hrs or so).  the free parking fully offset his lease costs, and he drove the car for the cost of insurance and home charging / maintenance only.

I understand that the free parking deal is going away, as more people have the cars and he has to move out of the charging spot more frequently now..  but a good deal for 2 years.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »
Looks like a new promo now for Black Friday - the $5k NMAC cash is back to move the 2015's.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
It seems that the announcement of the 2016 Leaf makes the 2015 ones a problem for dealers. On a hunch I checked one near me. They are offering $14,000 off MSRP on their website. If that is before updates, that means they are offering a new Leaf S for $32,100 - $14,000 = $18,100. Then, take off the $7,500 federal rebate and the $2,000 Pennsylvania rebate, and it's $8600. Makes it tempting to put in power line to my parking pad...

Edited to correct a mistake in the intermediate number

I live in PA too and thats really cheap although I don't know if it would pay to me to have an EV.

I pay 50 cents per gallon of gas and I drive a Honda 2001 Civic EX which gets me 40 mpg.

I drive about 13k miles a year, which means out of pocket on gas I pay 175 dollars per YEAR on driving it. I doubt an EV would save me any money on this...maybe only on wear and tear since there are not as many parts as in a combustible engine

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
I pay 50 cents per gallon of gas and I drive a Honda 2001 Civic EX which gets me 40 mpg.

How do you get gas for 50 cents a gallon?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

How do you get gas for 50 cents a gallon?

One of the grocery stores near me has a gas points program for every 50 dollars you spend you get 10 points which takes 10 cents off of the price of a gallon up to a 20 gallon limit per fill.

This includes the gift cards they sell in store.

I just buy a VISA gift card for 500 USD and then use it to buy another one... then use that one to buy another and so forth. I only keep 1 card at a time instead of buying multiple cards at a time. While that would save me the hassle of going thru the payment as many times, I dont want to risk of not being able to liquidate the VISA gift cards or even worse losing them. So I only have tied up 500 dollars in that gift card which is constantly being recycled.

I got this idea once I started doing manufacture spending for Credit cards. But now even while I am not manufacture spending, I keep doing this.

Why 50 cents a gallon?

Because those VISA gift cards have a fee - from 3.95 to 4.95 dollars (so in essence for 225 points I paid 225/300*12USD / 20 gallons = 0.45 USD/gal

So when I Buy 3 gift cards for example, I have 300 points, which if I redeem 225 points it deducts from the current price of 2.25 USD a gallon with a limit of 20 gallons per fill.

Since my Honda tank only gets about 11 gallons, I use two 5 gallon gas containers to fill up the rest.

:)

Which to top it off I also got 3 free turkeys for Thanksgiving at 20 lbs each as a bonus for they holiday program :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:56:01 AM by MrSal »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
I would love to buy a leaf, but I can't make the math work out yet.

It would be a second car, which means it is an extra cost.  Even though it would save us a bunch on gas, I would still have to insure and register it and it will still have some repair costs (tires and such).  Best case scenario, if gas goes back up to $3/gallon I might save $100/month on total operating costs, but I'd have to lay out $8-10k up front to purchase the vehicle.  That's a looooong payback period.  Solar panels were a better investment.

A better alternative for us is to buy a regular old gas sipper for half of that up front cost, and then save 1/2 as much on gas, and keep the difference invested in the markets.  I just can't see locking up $10k in an asset that makes/saves $100/month but depreciates $150/month, when I can leave that $10k invested in the market and generate $100/month while preserving 100% of the up-front capital.  Just looking at the financial reasons, it doesn't make any sense.

So I'm on hold for another three years, until my oldest kid starts driving and we'll want a second vehicle for reasons unrelated to finances.  At that point it may make more sense.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
The gas rewards program at a local grocery chain is way more restrictive.  Visa/Mastercard gift cards are excluded.  10 cents discount per gallon per $100 with a maximum of $1.50 discount in a single transaction.  Any discount over $1.50 per gallon can be used the next time.  You can buy gift cards for other stores there, but as a mustachian you aren't probably going to be spending enough to make that difference on gas prices.

There is a particular chain of gas stations that the discount works at.  I wonder if this program is why this brand of station will have every pump full and the station across the street might have 1/3 of the pumps full even if the price is less.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »
The gas rewards program at a local grocery chain is way more restrictive.  Visa/Mastercard gift cards are excluded.  10 cents discount per gallon per $100 with a maximum of $1.50 discount in a single transaction.  Any discount over $1.50 per gallon can be used the next time.  You can buy gift cards for other stores there, but as a mustachian you aren't probably going to be spending enough to make that difference on gas prices.

There is a particular chain of gas stations that the discount works at.  I wonder if this program is why this brand of station will have every pump full and the station across the street might have 1/3 of the pumps full even if the price is less.

My grocery store gives 10 cents off per 50$ of spending .... no limit. You can redeem the full amount of the price per gallon if you have enough points. Max fuel per transaction is capped at 20 gallons though which is more than enough.

So in essence I am paying 8-9 dollars for 20 gallons of gas.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
If anyone is in Northern Colorado and considering a Leaf this is a pretty sweet deal:

http://insideevs.com/2015-nissan-leaf-for-10623-special-black-friday-deal/

"Thanks to $9,007 off the LEAF’s retail price through the Group-Buy, the $7,500 tax credit and the $5,000 Colorado state tax credit, the price of the 2015 LEAF could be just $10,623!"

Assuming you live in the right place, get the base trim, and qualify for the full $7,500 federal credit.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
If anyone is in Northern Colorado and considering a Leaf this is a pretty sweet deal:

http://insideevs.com/2015-nissan-leaf-for-10623-special-black-friday-deal/

"Thanks to $9,007 off the LEAF’s retail price through the Group-Buy, the $7,500 tax credit and the $5,000 Colorado state tax credit, the price of the 2015 LEAF could be just $10,623!"

Assuming you live in the right place, get the base trim, and qualify for the full $7,500 federal credit.

Super great deal - would be tempting if I had more of a tax liability; neither my federal or state taxes due will be as high as the credits. I doubt there are many clever ways to *increase* my tax liability ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:45:27 AM by kudy »

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
Super great deal - would be tempting if I had more of a tax liability; neither my federal or state taxes due will be as high as the credits. I doubt there are many clever ways to *increase* my tax liability ;)

Apparently the CO tax credit is refundable, but I'd still be missing out on a few thousand of the federal credit.

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
Just an update: earlier in this thread I pondered whether it would be worth it to buy/lease an EV. Well, I leased a Chevy Spark EV. Details are in my journal, but it is going to be cheaper for me to drive than pretty much any other option out there (including keeping my own 20 year old car and other used compact cars). My all in cost is about $2k over 3 years plus the cost of electricity (15 cents per 5 miles).

For those of you in CA, OR, and MD (the only states where the Spark EV is sold) I would seriously consider it.

earthshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »
Interesting! Which grocery store do you use?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
Just an update: earlier in this thread I pondered whether it would be worth it to buy/lease an EV. Well, I leased a Chevy Spark EV. Details are in my journal, but it is going to be cheaper for me to drive than pretty much any other option out there (including keeping my own 20 year old car and other used compact cars). My all in cost is about $2k over 3 years plus the cost of electricity (15 cents per 5 miles).

For those of you in CA, OR, and MD (the only states where the Spark EV is sold) I would seriously consider it.
I drove one here in Bama that was bought remotely and shipped from Cali by a major EV enthusiast... that was a fun car.
I drive a Volt and I feel like the cockpit feeling is much better in the Spark EV... better wheel and control interface, just overall the way it holds you really inspires confidence and enjoyment.

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »

I drove one here in Bama that was bought remotely and shipped from Cali by a major EV enthusiast... that was a fun car.
I drive a Volt and I feel like the cockpit feeling is much better in the Spark EV... better wheel and control interface, just overall the way it holds you really inspires confidence and enjoyment.

It really is a blast to drive. It's very zippy.

My wife is actually looking into getting a Chevy Bolt when they are released later this year. She drives around 100-150 miles per day for work (sales) so the range would be perfect for her. After taxes the price will be 27.5k, which is more than we were planning on spending. We'll have to think about it. The good news is that she would be able to depreciate half the cost in year one since it is a business car and her employer reimburses for miles at 50 cents.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
My wife is actually looking into getting a Chevy Bolt when they are released later this year. She drives around 100-150 miles per day for work (sales) so the range would be perfect for her. After taxes the price will be 27.5k, which is more than we were planning on spending. We'll have to think about it. The good news is that she would be able to depreciate half the cost in year one since it is a business car and her employer reimburses for miles at 50 cents.
I'm considering that too. Depends on a lot of things. Can't wait to test drive it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
The 2011 Nissan leaf SV is selling for under $7k around here.  That seems like a decent price for a five year old car with under 50k miles, if you can handle the range limitations.

Newer model leafs dropping in price with better range had really killed the resale value, and then gas dropped to $2/gallon so prices started falling again.  It's by far the cheapest electric car on the market right now.  I'll buy one eventually, as a second vehicle.

update: that happened faster than I had anticipated.  I now have a second vehicle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:28:19 PM by sol »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:29 PM »
The 2011 Nissan leaf S is selling for under $7k around here.  That seems like a decent price for a five year old car with under 50k miles, if you can handle the range limitations.

Newer model leafs dropping in price with better range had really killed the resale value, and then gas dropped to $2/gallon so prices started falling again.  It's by far the cheapest electric car on the market right now.  I'll buy one eventually, as a second vehicle.

Excellent, excellent. I'm hoping we'll see some aftermarket batteries for the LEAF someday to give even the older ones a nice range upgrade.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
OK - MMM mentions something about buying his next car on Craigslist.  (Leaf?)

The weird thing I saw on the Denver Craigslist for Leafs was that if the car has never gotten the CO state rebate, then it is eligible still for CO's rebate even if it is used?

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5480502448.html

"WE BRING OUR LEAF'S IN FROM OTHER STATES SO YOU GET THE COLORADO TAX CREDIT!!!-------- Used electric vehicles that have never been registered in Colorado are still eligible for an EV tax credit....the state will repay you 24% of the cost of the car (up to $6,000)."  This company is importing Leafs to Colorado....and selling them high!

To me, it seems like an extra smart mustachian CO resident with extra time on their hands would go to the PNW and buy a much more affordable Leaf like Sol's for $8K...and take a smaller tax credit ($2K) to make the car only $6K.

MMM, who has a legitimate reason to DRIVE to the PNW for Camp Mustache, could do so in a rented car that would accommodate a car towing trailer.  He could then haul that cheaper car back to Longmont with him for no extra costs (since the Camp Mustache would be business expenses no matter which way he goes there).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!