Author Topic: Net worth increase 2022 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)  (Read 396506 times)

Gardo

• Stubble
Re: Net worth decrease 2020 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)
« Reply #1250 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
I bought a nice  tube-based amplifier for my 2009 Gibson SG. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1251 on: June 08, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »
Back to personal top. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1252 on: June 09, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »
LOL I'm at a personal top too (*waits for Property to start crashing and burning*)

This is not something I believe to be true, nor anything I would disclose IRL, so I'll share it here. Zillow has a "service" that pings you when your property values change. At the crack of dawn on Friday, I got a ping that our primary home in our HCOLA had increased in value by $260k. That's about what I'm guessing our investment accounts are down, but I'm not looking. So, according to the infallible algorithms employed by Zillow, it's a wash, as far as total net worth goes. Hahahahaha...
More fun and games.  Zillow is sill standing by the new Zestimate and our investments are down just 10%. We're sitting on a fat cash cushion, so our "actual" NW loss is less than 10%. Interestingly, Redfin's guess is 300k below Zillow's Zestimate. My answer is who knows, who cares? We're fine, even if our NW is in flux. MPP for sure.

How does it look now Dicey? Investment accounts up $260k since then too? :D

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1253 on: June 09, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
I think we can go back to the previous thread title. S&P is down 4.7% from the top and 0.7% since January 1. Only those filthy one percenters with bookoos of money in the market are still down for the year (tongue in cheek).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1254 on: June 09, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »
LOL I'm at a personal top too (*waits for Property to start crashing and burning*)

This is not something I believe to be true, nor anything I would disclose IRL, so I'll share it here. Zillow has a "service" that pings you when your property values change. At the crack of dawn on Friday, I got a ping that our primary home in our HCOLA had increased in value by $260k. That's about what I'm guessing our investment accounts are down, but I'm not looking. So, according to the infallible algorithms employed by Zillow, it's a wash, as far as total net worth goes. Hahahahaha...
More fun and games.  Zillow is sill standing by the new Zestimate and our investments are down just 10%. We're sitting on a fat cash cushion, so our "actual" NW loss is less than 10%. Interestingly, Redfin's guess is 300k below Zillow's Zestimate. My answer is who knows, who cares? We're fine, even if our NW is in flux. MPP for sure.

How does it look now Dicey? Investment accounts up $260k since then too? :D
Ha! Thanks, @Marty, you made me get off my lazy bum and look. The numbers are even weirder since then. Zillow is $289,461k higher than Redfin, and $328,838k than Realtor.com. Totally crazypants.

As to our investments, I just looked. Our online portal only shows the month-end total, unless you're not lazy and you dig a bit (not doing that). Seems December 2019 was actually higher than January 2020. As of today, we're up $4k, but we've added $14k to our Roths since then, so we're really still down $10k. Meh. 

In related news, the house three doors down from us is a piece of shit. Someone has gotten hold of it and is flipping said piece of shit. Unsurprisingly, they're doing a shitty, shitty job. Alas, the sow will surely sell to some unsuspecting soul for a shitload of money. This will no doubt cause our value estimates to increase. More crazypants shenanigans afoot.

Oh, and when they were marketing the piece of shit house, they boasted that it was next to two custom homes. Fuck them. Get off our coattails ya greedy, thieving bastards!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1255 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »
No chance to unsubscribe from Zillow?  I used to have a property where Zillow was off by like 10x.  I just didn’t even look at it because clearly the algorithm was wrong

Back to personal top. 

And... it’s gone!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1256 on: June 09, 2020, 05:44:32 PM »
Back to personal top. 

And... it’s gone!

This is a Simpsons quote right? When Homer discovers the Stockmarket?

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1257 on: June 09, 2020, 08:28:46 PM »
Back to personal top. 

And... it’s gone!

South Park, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DT7bX-B1Mg

Worth a watch or a re-watch.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1258 on: June 09, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »
Back to personal top. 

And... it’s gone!

I'm sorry, this thread is only for forum members.  Please stand aside for people who actually have money.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:02:52 PM by dragoncar »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1259 on: June 10, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
Calling the decrease already?   Haha!

This will be an interesting thread to watch this year.

Pestilence is not easily defeated.

Only those whose 'stache's' are in the very early phase will likely see an increase this year.

@marty998  The title didn’t make sense to me until I saw this. Still seems premature to change the title with how the market is reacting. I’d keep the original title and let the year play out.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1260 on: June 10, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »

Only those whose 'stache's' are in the very early phase will likely see an increase this year.

@marty998  The title didn’t make sense to me until I saw this. Still seems premature to change the title with how the market is reacting. I’d keep the original title and let the year play out.

Title volatility is at an all time high.  Hedge your position with TVIX

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1261 on: June 10, 2020, 12:49:01 PM »
Back to personal top. 

And... it’s gone!

I'm sorry, this thread is only for forum members.  Please stand aside for people who actually had have money.

FTFY

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1262 on: June 10, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

There’s still six months to go. Plenty of time for gravity to reassert herself.

CANStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1263 on: June 10, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
Was up $280K Jan 1 > Jan 1. (NW $2.075M)

Almost perfectly even from Jan 1 2020 to today, meaning we're now slipping in terms of year over year gains, but considering my wife has retired and the world almost ended, I'm pretty OK with that.

If someone could just put out the fires in the US (and maybe the president?) I think I'd be content with how the future looks.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1264 on: June 11, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »
I am still very early in the accumulation phase.
NW on 1/1 was $76k, and is currently sitting at $95k.

I was at $80k right as the market tanked and lost quite a bit during the initial drops. But I kept contributing to everything as much as I could (while slightly building up my emergency fund in case of lay-off) and am feeing alright again. Still putting a bit of cash away each check until I hit 9 months or so (am at about 6.5 now). Not sure how much cash I want on hand but I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot by not investing.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1265 on: June 12, 2020, 05:42:44 PM »

I was at $80k right as the market tanked and lost quite a bit during the initial drops. But I kept contributing to everything as much as I could (while slightly building up my emergency fund in case of lay-off) and am feeing alright again. Still putting a bit of cash away each check until I hit 9 months or so (am at about 6.5 now). Not sure how much cash I want on hand but I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot by not investing.

Woot woot, congrats! I'm right there with you. I consider myself also early on in accumulation/career phase. At the bottom in March I was at $103k NW, now I'm at $145k. Sure, a lot of that is due to the continual contributions I'm making, but I'm assuming that stocks are on sale for the next year or so. Maybe more.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1266 on: June 14, 2020, 08:07:21 PM »

Woot woot, congrats! I'm right there with you. I consider myself also early on in accumulation/career phase. At the bottom in March I was at $103k NW, now I'm at $145k. Sure, a lot of that is due to the continual contributions I'm making, but I'm assuming that stocks are on sale for the next year or so. Maybe more.
Frequent and consistent contributions are what will get us there faster than anything! You’ve got this!

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #1267 on: July 12, 2020, 05:21:53 AM »

Frequent and consistent contributions are what will get us there faster than anything! You’ve got this!

Same here- ramped up my contributions to the max, scooped up a lot of stock over the past few months, and so far it's paid off. Keep it up.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1268 on: July 24, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »
I don't think anyone is really an investor until he/she lives through a couple of economic crashes that happen every 8 to 12 years.   Reading "The Intelligent Investor" that Warren Buffett has championed for years saved our a$$ this time.   I went really defensive mostly to cash late last year as we hit all time highs and market P/E was rising as US debt skyrocketed (even worse today after COVID stimulus of course)... I was kicking myself in late January for missing a rally but the "margin of safety" was low and knew my company was having troubles so I liquidated the retirement assets preparing for drama ahead.    Dial forward and the day in Feb the market peaked, I was RIF'd along with 10%+ of the US workforce from a good long-term job...   Further, I wasn't qualified for unemployment or the extra COVID benefits from the Feds so no help there.    Sounds dire, right?

So after living off assets for 5 months, paying COBRA for 4 in the family and finishing 2 kids through college (1 graduated last month), we're UP 15% total net worth since Jan 1st!    One thing was we caught the dead-cat bounce in March and put almost all the cash to work through April.    Thank God for MMM.. no debt of any kind, living cheap off 1 income in the family and putting all our green soldiers to work when others were fearful.   And hedging with gold/silver ETFs as governments around the world will have to cause inflation to bail them out of debt burdens over time.  The MMM lifestyle works my friends!

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1269 on: July 29, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
As of June, I've had 2 negative months and 4 positive months with a net positive change in net worth so far.  July looks to be another positive month so far.  I might even get back on track to my goal for the year.  I'm currently about a month behind target for the year.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1270 on: July 29, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »
Thanks to aggressive deployment of spare cash during the dip I'm up almost 3x what I calculated I "should" be ordinarily over six months. Now the battle is finding a way not to simultaneously kick myself both for putting too much in too early and not putting enough in before the recovery. (This is why market timing is bad. You might turn a profit but it disturbs your mental calm anyway.)

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1271 on: August 02, 2020, 11:28:36 AM »
Our net worth isn't quite as high as its peak early this year, but it has recovered to surpass where it was when I FIREd a year ago. I'll take it!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1272 on: August 03, 2020, 11:20:59 PM »
We’re now net even with the peak, despite my wife going from full time to getting only occasional work. Withdrew bond funds to cover a few months’ of money, but we can reinvest most of that back soon. We’ve been overall quite fortunate through no investment skill of our own (other than not panicking, if that’s a skill...)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1273 on: August 03, 2020, 11:44:57 PM »
We’re now net even with the peak, despite my wife going from full time to getting only occasional work. Withdrew bond funds to cover a few months’ of money, but we can reinvest most of that back soon. We’ve been overall quite fortunate through no investment skill of our own (other than not panicking, if that’s a skill...)
It's a highly valuable skill indeed ;-)

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #1274 on: August 09, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »
We are up around $25K this calendar year so far, however it looks like I may suffer permanent damage to my future income via Social Security just because I was born (prematurely, damn it) in the year 1960.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1275 on: August 10, 2020, 09:46:57 PM »
We are down about 24K YTD or -4.3%.  The portfolio is mostly vtsax but we have added a lot to it this year so far.  Buy the dip ride the rip right?

Update*

As of the end of July the NW is up 18% or 103k YTD.... Buy the dip ride the rip!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:52:33 PM by FIreDrill »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1276 on: August 12, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »
I’m now up about $135k YTD.

Bit of a joke really. News headline this morning was “Stocks, unemployment, set to rise today”.

I feel like we are tiptoeing across a cliff surrounded by fog. Any moment now...

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1277 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »
Up about $170k NW from January 1.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1278 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:06 PM »

Nice.. I think we are roughly the same. If you think about this.. its $170k in 8 months for doing absolutely NOTHING!...Who does that?..:)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1279 on: August 13, 2020, 03:55:11 PM »

Nice.. I think we are roughly the same. If you think about this.. its $170k in 8 months for doing absolutely NOTHING!...Who does that?..:)

Now up about $80.5K (after a dip).  What is this weird alchemy that turns time into $$?

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1280 on: August 15, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
We are within dollars of reattaining our peak, despite a huge tax bill and significant ongoing spending on a kitchen remodel. Just makes me glad that I didn't try to time the market, even though it seemed self-evident that it was going to crash at the beginning of the crisis.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1281 on: August 17, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
One year ago I went on active duty with the military for a deployment. I'm almost home and still have a month of leave that will get paid out at the end. Looking at our net worth from a year ago it has increased about $60k. About $15k of that was tax free money going into a Roth TSP which will now grow tax free for the rest of my life. Pretty nice feeling. My military TSP account went from $11k to $41k in the last year.

I'll be able to collect a military reserve pension in about 25 years. With what I have invested now we could pretty much stop contributing and be ok by the time I hit 60.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #1282 on: August 22, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
About $15k of that was tax free money going into a Roth TSP which will now grow tax free for the rest of my life. Pretty nice feeling. My military TSP account went from $11k to $41k in the last year.

I'll be able to collect a military reserve pension in about 25 years. With what I have invested now we could pretty much stop contributing and be ok by the time I hit 60.
Well done, sir. 

That's practically Coast FI, and your other investments might only have to last until age 60.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1283 on: August 22, 2020, 04:03:56 PM »
About $15k of that was tax free money going into a Roth TSP which will now grow tax free for the rest of my life. Pretty nice feeling. My military TSP account went from $11k to $41k in the last year.

Well done, sir. 

That's practically Coast FI, and your other investments might only have to last until age 60.

For now I'll keep contributing enough to get my TSP match but the rest will go towards saving to buy a business. If that goes well selling it could be enough to last until age 60 (59 and 3 months now with reduced retirement age from this deployment). 

evanc

• Stubble
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Re: Net worth increase 2019 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)
« Reply #1284 on: August 24, 2020, 09:26:50 AM »
Update: 6 months later, officially a net worth millionaire!

731,360 invested plus paid off home valued at 318,365 per Redfin (Zillow is about 7% higher, but based on recent sales, I think the more conservative Redfin estimate is more realistic).

As of today: $1,049,725.  Sticking to the plan, keep saving and I plan to retire in 5 more years. So close and yet so far lol

So many inspiring stories. Here's mine:

16: 346,143
17: 397,687
18: 414,661
19: 600,400

And today I'm at 660~ plus 300 in home equity (not included in above figures), so 2020 is shaping up to be the year of officially becoming a net worth millionaire. If you had told me that a couple of years ago when I started this journey, I would have thought it impossible. So fortunate and thankful to have found MMM and all you mustachians. You all rock!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1285 on: August 24, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Appreciation on my investments this month was greater than my monthly expenses. That means I can safely retire, right? A 50% SWR is bound to be safe forever...

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1286 on: August 24, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »
Appreciation on my investments this month was greater than my monthly expenses. That means I can safely retire, right? A 50% SWR is bound to be safe forever...

Do it!
I had a similar thought yesterday. My appreciation covers the mortgage only, so I'd have to dumpster dive for my family. Ugh.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1287 on: August 24, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

Do it!
I had a similar thought yesterday. My appreciation covers the mortgage only, so I'd have to dumpster dive for my family. Ugh.

Not actually suggesting you quit your job but dumpster diving isn't really all that bad, honest. Picked up literally about 100lbs of groceries for free this week. Diving is one major contributor to our high-ish savings rate over the past 5 years. It is pretty incredible what gets thrown out. This year's big surprise was 20 x 18oz unopened bottles of extra virgin olive oil, not expired. Sells in the store for $5 each so I figure we are $100 closer to retiring now ignoring gains that will be made on that money saved. We routinely get boxes of not-too-ripe bananas, peppers, broccoli, and plenty of other food on the reg. We shop at the stores we dive at so they are still getting plenty of our business.

That said, I totally understand if people think it's not up to par with their eating standards. For us it feels like a triple win- reducing food waste, fun surprises that keep things interesting in the kitchen, and inching us closer to financial freedom.

But yeah definitely FIRE on more than your mortgage payment!!! :D

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1288 on: August 25, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
Not actually suggesting you quit your job but dumpster diving isn't really all that bad, honest. Picked up literally about 100lbs of groceries for free this week. Diving is one major contributor to our high-ish savings rate over the past 5 years. It is pretty incredible what gets thrown out. This year's big surprise was 20 x 18oz unopened bottles of extra virgin olive oil, not expired. Sells in the store for $5 each so I figure we are $100 closer to retiring now ignoring gains that will be made on that money saved. We routinely get boxes of not-too-ripe bananas, peppers, broccoli, and plenty of other food on the reg. We shop at the stores we dive at so they are still getting plenty of our business.

That said, I totally understand if people think it's not up to par with their eating standards. For us it feels like a triple win- reducing food waste, fun surprises that keep things interesting in the kitchen, and inching us closer to financial freedom.

Where/how exactly do you dumpster dive?  Literally in the dumpster behind the supermarket?  I'm picturing spoiled meat...it's mid-summer!

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1289 on: August 25, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
Nope, not much meat actually. There is definitely some food that is spoiled more frequently in the summer, most of what we get is pre-packaged produce and doesn't touch the other food anyway. The dumpster also has side doors so it's not like one has to climb in and get all yucky. Yep, typically the ones right out next to the store... Our favorite has something akin to a 'privacy fence' around it, haha.

In the winter sometimes we do partake in meat and discarded frozen items (often still frozen or cold). But we try to be very, very careful and selective about it. No medium rare cooking on those items for sure. The only time DH has gotten food poisoning was from ham that was bought fresh from the store and eaten just before the stated expiry. Never had problems with the free pickins. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a totally safe practice.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:47:59 AM by maisymouser »

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1290 on: August 26, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
Ok, I broke my rule and checked my accounts today. Normally I only do that every three months. It looks like I’m basically even for the year. And I even bought a BRAND NEW CAR at the end of January, paid in cash. I have great timing on financial decisions.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1291 on: August 27, 2020, 11:07:30 PM »

Do it!

Our store heavily discounts things right before they're going to get rid of them (some gets sent to a food bank, produce is discarded). We've been stocking up on non-perishable food for various disaster prep reasons (next month we're moving to a place that got side-swiped by the hurricanes from a place that routinely catches on fire). That strategy and the overall cheaper food in Texas should bring our grocery bill down. I have to say that pre-packaged food is a huge drag on our grocery budget.

Anyway, back on subject - we're +3% from beginning of the year without buying anything. We're about to give a big down-payment so will have to subtract that from the books and end up -17%. It's not technically a loss since the house appraised for higher than we're paying, and we would have enough to buy a new house elsewhere in cash if needed. Overall definitely can't complain at all and am contributing heavily to charities from the paycheck bump.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1292 on: August 28, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Do it!

Subtracting out contributions, my accounts have increased by:

401(k): 6.55%
Roth IRA: 10.58%
HSA: 6.95%

all in less than a month. Annualized, those returns are between 78.6% and 127%. That's crazy.

Is this the best month in the history of the market?

BikeLover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1293 on: August 29, 2020, 03:47:40 AM »
I'm up 20.4% since the beginning of the year. I guess that's a net decrease of -20%?

Subtracting out contributions made this year, up 12.6%.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1294 on: August 29, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
Is this the best month in the history of the market?
March 1933 was something like 11.2%. Probably other examples too.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1295 on: August 29, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
I'm up 32.5% (losing at the decrease game for 2020!!). Helps that I am at the early stages of my investing career and that I didn't blink at COVID in March/April. Continued contributing to my 401k and maxxed out my IRA. Thank you so much JL Collins for preparing me for 2020.

For actual dollar values- started out the year at 132k and am now at 176k. 100% stocks. DH not a fan of my aggressive investing strategy, it's a good thing we keep our finances separate, heh heh... He's sitting on 60k in cash and I die a little inside every time I remember that.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1296 on: August 29, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
I'm up 32.5% (losing at the decrease game for 2020!!). Helps that I am at the early stages of my investing career and that I didn't blink at COVID in March/April. Continued contributing to my 401k and maxxed out my IRA. Thank you so much JL Collins for preparing me for 2020.

For actual dollar values- started out the year at 132k and am now at 176k. 100% stocks. DH not a fan of my aggressive investing strategy, it's a good thing we keep our finances separate, heh heh... He's sitting on 60k in cash and I die a little inside every time I remember that.

He's going to end up with $40k cash. Because the moment he gets convinced "oh ok... you were right all along, I'm going to go buy stocks" is the moment the markets will tank 30% again and he'll sell out after looking at the sea of red and say "see, I told you so."

Please warn us in advance.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #1297 on: August 30, 2020, 07:18:51 AM »
This year has been a wild ride. And it ain't over, yet.

LNW since 2015 --

(I consider the blue line my 'real' number. The red is just phantom money until I convert it to the blue.)

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1298 on: August 30, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »

He's going to end up with $40k cash. Because the moment he gets convinced "oh ok... you were right all along, I'm going to go buy stocks" is the moment the markets will tank 30% again and he'll sell out after looking at the sea of red and say "see, I told you so."

Please warn us in advance.

The weird thing is, I don't think he has any plans to even try to put any of it in the stock market. When asked about why he is carrying so much cash he refers to the fact that he owns two houses (one jointly with me, the other is rented), so there are probably 2-3 major repairs in our future like replacing both roofs, potential of losing renters, water heater explosion, ... He also seriously thinks that if we get COVID we could become totally incapacitated and max out our insurance OOP and wants to be ready for that. Direct quotes: "I need 50k+ on hand in case all goes to hell". "If the market drops 30% again, sure, I'll invest a teeny bit of it." "I'm not going to throw that money into overinflated stocks right now." I've tried my best y'all... maybe in another 10 years he'll believe me when I say that's way more than we need available at any given time.

To his credit, he hasn't STOPPED investing in stocks, he just feels safer with maintaining that level of cash. I guess that's his level of risk tolerance. Drives me up a wall though.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
This year has been a wild ride. And it ain't over, yet.

LNW since 2015 --

(I consider the blue line my 'real' number. The red is just phantom money until I convert it to the blue.)

That's incredible amber! Major congrats on your progress. I love your chart.