Author Topic: Share your granola recipes!  (Read 2522 times)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
Share your granola recipes!
« on: October 06, 2023, 04:53:37 PM »
Anyone else make granola? It's my main snack/dessert food and I make a batch about every other week. I'm been working to reduce my intake of processed food for awhile, but I want more than fruits, veggies, and protein!

Here's my recipe that I've been doing for a few years now. Of course, all amounts are variable, but this is what works for me. It's pretty low sugar.

Please share yours!

Preheat oven to 200*

4 cups gluten free oats
1 1/4 cup walnuts ( I put them in a ziplock bag and roll them with a rolling pin to break them down)
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 or 1/4 cup of real maple syrup and raw honey (total, not separate, I combine both ingredients in one 1/3 or 1/4 measuring cup)
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons diced fresh ginger
pinch or two of salt

stir well

I find this a good amount to spread on a standard cookie sheet (with a rim, otherwise it will fall off)

bake @ 200* for 1 hour 21 minutes (this may vary for you depending on your stove and your taste)

don't stir while on the baking sheet, let it set for an hour after removing from the oven and it will clump better, but don't wait too long or it will stick to the sheet

I often eat it with a little plain yogurt, or just by itself, or with fresh fruit.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 05:38:48 PM by sonofsven »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Share your granola recipes!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 04:58:13 PM »
Quite similar although I use butter instead of the coconut oil and usually add sunflower seeds and/or cashews to the mix.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 05:23:22 PM »
Mix:
8 cups grains: I usually use a combo of rolled oats and rolled barley, but when I can get other rolled oats, I toss them in (except rolled rye, which makes everything taste like rye...)
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
1/2 cup pepitas (they've gotten expensive lately)
a few Tb flax seeds (because I'm trying to use some up)

Melt together 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup honey. Stir this into the other mixture, then spread on a baking sheet and put into a 375 degree oven. Keep an eye one it, at this temp it can burn. Stir once or twice, as the edges brown. When it's as toasted as you like it, pull out and sprinkle with a cup or so of raisins or currents. Let cool, then shovel into the big cereal container, and begin the week..

Tamyr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 12:50:08 PM »
I just made granola this morning!

In a 9x13” baking dish mix:
3 c rolled oats
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1 c sliced almonds
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Melt 1/3 c butter with 1/3 c raw honey and mix into dry ingredients.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.

When you remove it from the oven stir it again and add 2/3 raisins or chopped dried cherries (the best).

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 04:46:09 PM »
This is my ultimate gramola recipe. I give it away at Christmas and make it during the year. Only change I make is 600 grams of nuts. I use almonds, walnuts, and pecans.

https://orangette.net/2014/04/maybe-hes-right/

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 07:49:47 PM »
I'm going to try both of these recipes, thanks for sharing them.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 08:01:27 PM »
Great thread-- I love granola!

My Norwegian family also makes a delicious muesli.  It's has all the same basic ingredients, but isn't sweetened and there is no added oil or butter and you don't bake it...just mix it up and eat it.

Basic recipe:
8 cups rolled oats
3 cups heritage flakes
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup dried coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped)

(basically, 3 cups of "goodies"...I've used any and all nuts/seeds lingering in my cabinet)  You just mix it up, store it in a large container and eat it raw, often with greek yogurt and sliced fresh fruit.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 05:09:30 PM »
Great thread-- I love granola!

My Norwegian family also makes a delicious muesli.  It's has all the same basic ingredients, but isn't sweetened and there is no added oil or butter and you don't bake it...just mix it up and eat it.

Basic recipe:
8 cups rolled oats
3 cups heritage flakes
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup dried coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped)

(basically, 3 cups of "goodies"...I've used any and all nuts/seeds lingering in my cabinet)  You just mix it up, store it in a large container and eat it raw, often with greek yogurt and sliced fresh fruit.

My mom makes something like this, but she adds quinoa flakes (and often whatever other rolled grain she can find) and she adds the dried fruit upon serving, so it doesn't make everything else damp. (She actually always adds fresh fruit upon serving, too).

If you soak your mixture overnight with shredded apples, a spoonful of yogurt, and some milk, you have delicious bircher muesli AKA overnight oats.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 07:25:18 PM »
My recipe is similar to sonofsven’s. We don’t often use coconut, but we do add whatever happens to be in the cupboard, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, etc with dried fruit stirred in.  This past time I added buckwheat and it is lovely. Good nutty crunch.

I’ll note that I double the recipe and do two trays at once. If I’m going to run the oven it might as well be full.  I also use the silicon baking sheets to line the pan so that it’s easy to pick them up and dump the granola into the storage container. That was a game changer for me as transferring without spilling was just frustrating. 

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »
I've been buying store brand granola from Sam's Club and/or Costco.  I wonder:
1) How much healthier it would be home made
2) Would there be an added benefit of cost saving, or is it so cheap from Costco/Sam's Club that it would be a wash?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 02:36:06 PM »
I've been buying store brand granola from Sam's Club and/or Costco.  I wonder:
1) How much healthier it would be home made
2) Would there be an added benefit of cost saving, or is it so cheap from Costco/Sam's Club that it would be a wash?
It's going to be healthy or not based on what you put in it, my recipe is very low glucose compared to most commercial varieties. There's no preservatives in any of the ingredients I use.
I've never done a cost comparison, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't  cheaper to make at home.
Once you get the simple main ingredients you can make batch after batch. I was surprised when I bought granola on a trip out of town, both at the cost and the small amount in the bag. Plus, I liked mine better.
(I didn't bring enough from home, so I had to buy some! MPP)

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 03:26:33 PM »
These recipes aren't exactly healthy, but they are delicious. I've made both and always get asked for the recipe. Good for gifts, or when you want a treat.

Macadamia Maple Granola from Chocolate & Zucchini blog (spendy with the macadamias, includes lime zest which is a nice change)
"Stolen Granola" from bojongourmet blog. Has almonds, cashews, orange zest, and an "unconscionable amount of butter" 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »
We got burnt by pantry moth too many times to make up big batches of muesli and instead make a bowl in the morning. Standard is oats with pepita and sunflower seeds. The nuts and dried fruit depends on how we feel that day and what fresh fruit we use. I like cashews with mango, almonds and walnuts with apple, dates with pear. It gives enough variety that I don’t get sick of a particular combo. 

ETA: muesli is really common in NZ, granola is delicious but in the candy-breakfast category.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:38:52 PM by mspym »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
@mspym - we store all of our dry goods in sistema lock top hard plastic containers.  They have a silicone seal which keeps them free from pests and air/humidity etc.  I don't know if they would be helpful for you, but it has worked for us.  Hope this is helpful!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 08:50:58 PM »
@mspym - we store all of our dry goods in sistema lock top hard plastic containers.  They have a silicone seal which keeps them free from pests and air/humidity etc.  I don't know if they would be helpful for you, but it has worked for us.  Hope this is helpful!
We have them too, this was from before we realised the moth larvae were getting in via the store we brought them from. It just ended up being less risky to have 1 jar to throw out than a 2kg batch of muesli that was made up with infested ingredients. (Obv since then we changed up supplier but it left a mark)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2023, 06:57:43 AM »
@mspym, UGH.  I'm so sorry.  That is so frustrating.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 08:05:40 AM »
I prefer soft granola, which my recipe accomplishes with a low temp and long bake time.
My partner prefers "crunchier", so I've been experimenting with my recipe and time/temp
So far, 250* for 45 minutes is the sweet spot for a little more crunch but not overcooked granola that we both enjoy.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 09:40:00 AM »
I make it in the crockpot, which is great since we mostly eat it in the summer and it’s nice to avoid turning on the oven.

5 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups seeds and/or nuts, chopped as desired
3/4 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup dried fruit, chopped as desired

Add all ingredients except fruit to 4 quart crockpot. Stir, cook uncovered on high 1.5 hours stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 more hours, stirring occasionally.

I usually set a timer for every 30 minutes and give it a good stir, being sure to get the bottom and all the edges.

When crisp, dump on couple of baking sheets to cool and stir in dried fruits before storing.

This a loose, non-clumpy granola. The recipe is adapted from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. That one calls for dates, craisins, sliced almonds, and sesame seeds. We love pecans so I usually include some of those, too, and I change up the fruit based on whatever I have on hand.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 04:51:28 AM »
made this recipe this week and it is the BEST granola I have ever had.

https://minimalistbaker.com/banana-bread-granola/

Bonus points for finding a way to use up bananas on their last legs

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 08:12:31 PM »
made this recipe this week and it is the BEST granola I have ever had.

https://minimalistbaker.com/banana-bread-granola/

Bonus points for finding a way to use up bananas on their last legs

I'm going to try it, I happen to have two mushy bananas. Thanks!

I tweaked my recipe a little, taking out the diced fresh ginger and cinnamon, and increasing the vanilla to 3TB.
I kept the sweetener the same, 1/3 cup total, but it tastes sweeter, which I found a nice change, for now.
The vanilla has no sugar added.
 I also added a half teaspoon of coconut extract, and it smells dreamy in the oven.

crowinghen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2024, 01:20:01 AM »
I love this granola! it tastes like the pumpkin seed granola that they sell at costco.

https://natashaskitchen.com/pumpkin-flax-granola-recipe/

HappyCheerE

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2024, 09:14:39 AM »
Here's my favorite recipe - I don't make it often because I eat it all up! I like it very toasty/caramelized. It makes a LOT so sometimes I halve it. I got it from a garden/house remodel memoir decades ago; wish I remembered the title.

3 to 3 1/2 lbs rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup powdered milk
12 oz sliced almonds
10 oz ground hazelnuts
1 1/2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups oil (I use peanut)

Warm the honey and oil together, then stir everything together. Bake 1/2" thick on cookie sheets or trays at 300 degrees.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2024, 09:54:26 PM »
I don't have a good oven on my wood stove so I don't make granola, but I make pre-mixed batches of oatmeal that I can take with me in the car, backpacking, etc.  Just add water and eat.  I gather and dry huge amounts of greens and berries from the land here so this is a good way to get that stuff into my diet.

rolled oats
chia seeds
homemade green powder (nettles, daisy, and many other greens and flowers)
manzanita berry powder
dried huckleberries
salt
cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom/ginger/black pepper mix  (this is a tasty mix of spices)

I make batches of 12-24 servings of this in plastic jars.

If I'm at home I'll pour the mix into a bowl and add boiling water and butter.  If I'm out and about, I just add water to the jar and eat out of the jar.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 09:30:45 AM »
Bojon Gourmet's recipe for maple bourbon brown butter granola got rave reviews in my house:

https://bojongourmet.com/maple-bourbon-brown-butter-granola/

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 11:28:03 AM »
I added pumpkin seeds and pecans to my recipe and slightly increased the sweetener. I've been really trying to reduce my sugar intake.
4.5 cups gf rolled oats
1 cup non sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1.5 cups raw walnuts
1.5 cups raw pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4  cup raw honey
1 cup coconut oil, melted
3TB vanilla extract
1 ts coconut extract
A few pinches of salt
205* 1.5 hours

So, 8.5 cups of grains, seeds, and nuts and 2 cups of unsweetened coconut to 1/2 cup of sweetener; from what I've seen of other recipes that's a very low ratio.

Also, I did add a banana to my previous batch. It was good, if you like bananas!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!