Author Topic: Mustachian Life Changes made in 2015  (Read 36476 times)

SenoritaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Life Changes made in 2015
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
So I’m sitting here thinking of all the changes I have made in 2015 due to MMM.  All of which have improved my life tremendously (deeply grateful for MMM).  With that in mind, I would love to hear what changes you have made this year.

Lost 25 pounds (originally lost 30 but recently gained 5 back while on vacation )
This is a very important achievement for me, since I have struggled with my weight for many years.  My motivation behind it was 1.  I was and still am very uncomfortable in my own body.  2. What I’m I doing, striving for FIRE when I’m neglecting my health/body?  What good is all that money and freedom if I don’t take care of myself along the way?  Will I even get to enjoy it if I keep this up?  3.  This quote really motivates me, goes like this, “If you want something you have NEVER had (aka a cute little/healthy body), you got to do something you have NEVER done”.

Cut cable.  Was spending anywhere between $60-$65 per month.  Switched to Roku/Netflix.  Now I spend $0.00 (I use my brothers password for Netflix)

Cut Internet.  Now I can use up to 14GB from a hotspot from our phones.  Saving about $60-65 per month.  Now spending $0.00 extra.

Rented out 2 rooms in my house.  Increased income or at least living for free.  Incoming rent $1,300.00 per month, but my monthly payment is $750.00 PITI.  Then I pay both electric/water bill (less than $200 for both) from their incoming rent.  So I don’t technically pay for that either.  Cash flowing $350+ per month, while living for free in my own house, and while not paying for the electric/water bill either. 

Stopped driving to the store.  Will put off purchases for as long as possible.  Then when I have a nice list of things I need, I go to the store either via walking or biking (silly past me!! Driving to the store, PLEASE!)

Learned/Opened and investment account.

Moved an old 401k, to a traditional IRA (lot less fees)

Purchased an electric pressure cooker.  I have only used it once but it was awesome.  Looking forward to all that home cook’n!

Switched from traditional lady products to a cup.  Absolutely changed my life, wow!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:29:33 PM by SenoritaStache »

GoldenNeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian Life Changes made in 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Great thread idea! And congrats for turning your home into a cash machine! Also, congrats on the weight loss!

As I posted in an other thread, here are my main accomplishments:
- signed a mortgage for a real estate investment (that will also have the bonus of causing a massive tax reduction).
- applying to jobs at least a third or twice my current salary (cause before I didn't dare)
- finishing student debts in december
- opening an investment account
- moving to a place much bigger (lived in a one room place before with SO, now having a "real" home) for an affordable price, and be able to walk or bike to work from there.
And having a more mustachian philosophy with life. Standing for myself, and not being afraid of calling b*llshit when I see it and stop toxic work/friends relationships.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:44:21 PM by GoldenNeko »

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
This is an awesome thread. Congrats on your progress!

Here's my list of 2015 financial accomplishments:

- began tracking expenses in Mint in earnest
- reduced restaurant spending by 50% or more
- switched from Verizon to Cricket for mobile phones - savings of nearly $100/mo
- cut my electricity bills in half by using my windows the old fashioned way
- quit Starbucksing myself (except when using a cc reward gift card)
- made lump payments to student loans (about a third of the principal) in addition to regular monthly payments
- paid off my husband's (@#$%!) car loan in full using summer salary
- moved savings account from BOA to a mix of high interest accounts at 5%: Netspend/Brinks/Ace Elite plus Ally at 1% for immediate access
- quintupled my 401k monthly contribution and maxed our IRAs
- earned about $1300 cash in credit card churns plus over $200k miles (taking my husband on trip to Europe for less than $100/person soon!)
- earned about $1400 selling stuff in attic/garage on Craigslist, yard sale etc.
- refinanced my mortgage from 30 years at 5% to 15 years at %2.875
- Began buying most of my work clothing second-hand on Poshmark
- Started an HSA now that my employer is offering and signed up for payroll contributions that will max it next year
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:39:41 PM by Making Cents »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
Neat thread. Here's the life changes/accomplishments for 2015, for both my wife and I.

FIRE'd (both)

Got pregnant (wife)

Self-published some books (wife)

Got rid of all the stuff we owned, save two backpacks (both)

Started full time traveling the world as nomads (both)

Walked 500 miles on El Camino de Santiago (both)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:09:50 AM »
Switched from traditional lady products to a cup.
Me too, liking it so far.

-Opened an investment account
-Went for cheaper rather than closer to work when I moved (I cycle so minimal extra cost for travel), saving myself ~£200pm
-Simplified my grocery shopping and started bulk cooking
-Started evaluating frivolous spending in terms of money/time cost vs enjoyment.  Just because I can 'afford' to do something doesn't mean it's the best use of my money.
-Finally started selling stuff to declutter my home.  It's not a huge money maker, but it gets stuff out of my house and without it going straight to landfill.

It's nice to reflect on positive changes over the year :)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:39:36 AM »
Paid off my VISA
Paid off a college loan
Paid off my wife's VISA

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 07:37:32 AM »
Baby steps compared others, but significant to me:

- set biweekly TSP contribution so I max out annual limit
- began tracking all spending, investments, loans with Personal Capital
- began decluttering house and liquidating some of my hobbies/collections; made several thousand on eBay / craigslist and more importantly got back space and a little bit of peace you lose when you accumulate stuff
- got rid of cable box in guest room and home phone, got govt discount from Verizon. Together they reduced my bill by about $60/month (wife won't let me cut cable completely)
-began throwing more $ at student loan principal, should have done it long ago

Goals for 2016:

- finish off my student loan and re-fi wife's loan if it isn't eligible for forgiveness (should find out soon)
- convince wife to keep her paid off car rather than buy SUV if we have a second child (this might require divine intervention)
- get better handle on nutrition and meal planning to lose weight and save $ on food spending
- Continue eBay and CL selling to get rid of additional stuff, including the inevitable unwanted christmas gifts and decorative knick knacks people keep giving us.
- not financial, but work on spending more time out doors and relaxing to keep stress way down 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »

What I accomplished in 2015:
  • Started reading MMM and forums
  • started tracking expenses using Money Monitor
  • figured out net worth
  • Quadrupled savings compared to last year by reducing spendypants tendencies and increasing income

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Great thread idea, and good work all!

This year I:
  • Am set to contribute max $18k into 401(k) for first time
  • Am set to max $5.5k in IRA
  • Opened an after-tax brokerage account
  • Moved to an apartment with 2br vs 1br, but cut rent from $950 to $800 and new place *includes heat, internet, and washer/dryer* Savings ~$270/mo and now I have a home office / guest room!
  • Left Verizon ($65/mo), used T-mobile to pay my ETF and then promptly jumped ship to Project Fi with a Nexus 6. Now paying less than $33/mo even with international roaming
  • Kept healthy and enjoyed the hell out of life
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:31:37 AM by tarheeldan »

Bloodbuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 01:18:01 PM »
Well done all!, mine:

- Had my savings/investment epiphany thanks to MMM and similar sites - now saving 60% of income!

- New job, increased income 20%

- Moved house away from London - saving £300 a month on rent and bills

- Cut commute from 2 hours of trains to a 30 minute run down a gorgeous canal

- Now live off local fruit and vegbox and a bit of meat from the butchers

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »
^ Off topic but high five Mustachian National fans! Love the name. Welcome.

It is really cool to see what everyone has done in a year. What i find so inspiring is seeing how the little things add up and this is a great thread for that.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »
-Graduated from nursing school (no more additional loans!)
-I got a job
-Moved to a house in a cheaper part of the city
-Got married (this is going to be some sweet sweet tax savings)
-Set up a home gym and cancelled our gym memberships
-Started religiously using Mint to track expenses
-Cut our restaurant budget WAY down. From several hundred per month to less than $50 per month, usually less than $20
-Switched a lot of our staples foods to bulk purchases at Costco (rice, eggs, cheese, salsa, butter)
-Started buying wine at Grocery Outlet. Even cheaper per bottle than doing Bota Box (even with the Ibotta rebate) or the Trader Joe's Coastal. Essentially eliminated the beer and cider, which was always more spendy, since we have spendypants tastes.
-Stopped buying clothing except to replace specific worn out items

This is how we saved $30k this year, when our income will come to maybe $90k.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »
These are the posts I like to see, to the point and outlining really important changes. Full of tips at the same time and I get to see how others are doing. I don't have much to say myself unfortunately. I started investing for the first time and tracking my spending. Using Mint for a whole year (since Nov 2014) has been truly an eye opener. It's time for me to make some changes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:15:46 PM by human »

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
Love this thread! Changes I've made this year:

-started using YNAB
-opened and contributed regularly to a Roth IRA (my first investment account!)
-added an awesome part-time job
-sold or donated about 60%-70% of my belongings, including really expensive hobby items that I didn't use any more (high-maintenance musical instrument and tons of sheet music). Used money earned to pay down a loan to parents
-started spending more in line with my values (for example, cut out habitual restaurant meals and donated that money to charity instead)
-started eating much healthier (see: fewer restaurant meals above!) and lost 30 lbs so far

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »
* Rolled over old 401k to IRA
* Finally began moving cash from a stock-option success into Wealthfront
* Killed landline
* Canceled all print magazine subscriptions.
* Cut back lawn irrigation to two days a week.
* DH became so adept at bus that we are selling our larger car.
* Created and maintain monthly budget (everydollar).
* Got a Fitbit Charge and started walking and sleeping more as a result.
* Grew meaningful quantities of garlic, onions, spaghetti squash, sunchokes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, rainbow chard, tree collards, artichokes, sorrel, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos and herbs in home garden.
* Learned how to butcher and process a chicken; learned how to roast a whole chicken; learned how to turn savory vegetable scraps and chicken bones into stock.
* Learned how to make fresh pasta.
* Learned how to make fridge pickles.
* Learned how to make pizza dough from scratch.
* Learned about sourdough bread, kombucha and vinegar ferments.
* Got off Starbucks treadmill, now home roast $4/lb green beans from Costco.
* Decluttered a huge amount of stuff, sold surplus goods on eBay for extra income.
* Learned how to do several types of sprinkler repairs
* Stopped being afraid of DIY tasks (thanks for the help with the brake-light replacement, MMM DIY forum!) and collected some useful, minimalist tool sets for future projects from estate sales and Harbor Freight
* Started ordering bulk groats from Azure Standard for ultra-affordable, ultra-healthy morning oatmeal.
* Did home energy audit with Kill-a-Watt and found a handful of places where we can reduce “vampire” electrical loads, and let go of worries about other electricity draws.
* Battled trash, plastic and consumerism-at-large by following many of the Zero-Waste Home practices advocated by Bea Johnson.
     * Adopted the following “non-disposable” options: fountain pen, zippo lighter, rags, menstrual cup, part-time family cloth, handkerchiefs, safety razor.
     * Used up the last plastic trash bag and don’t buy them anymore!
     * We don’t use the garbage disposal anymore (unplugged it!) and compost the vast majority of organic materials that pass through our home. We have significantly reduced our production of both landfill trash and recyclables. We take out our green bin maybe twice a year, and our blue and black bins can go out every two or three weeks rather than every week. We will extend those intervals in the new year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:44:17 PM by jengod »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »
Wow, what an awesome post!

Jengod, what do you use for garbage bags now? Or nothing?

Goldenneko, it is so cool that you started applying to better paying jobs because of this forum/site. I love that having a handle on your finances can give such a boost in self-worth.

-This year we maxed out our 401ks and iras for the first time. It sounds like kind of a small thing on this site because everyone's doing it, but as two kids from blue collar families, it's really amazing to us that we've been able to do it.
-I too went to the lady cup which is so much better than any other option I've ever tried.
-We opened our first taxable account this year and transferred all spare dollars to it.
-I took the travelmiles course and started getting miles and rewards for my purchases.

One thing that I was able to do this year was a direct result of this site and my life changes was the most important to me. When my sister went suddenly into the hospital with a life threatening illness, I was able to drop everything and fly across the country to sit with my family in the icu, and help deal with her care and her young son. If it hadn't been for this site and forum, I would have been in no position to do that and it probably would have all gone on a credit card (and not the kind you immediately pay off at the end of the month). It's been a complete life changer.

korn_man55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
This is a nice encouraging thread.  2015 recap:
-Paid off student loan 17000
-Started prn/parttime travel nursing which has increased my salary
-Utilized my bike more
-Got all my light bulbs upstairs to LED and downstairs they are all CFL
-DIY clothesline installation with no dryer used for last 6 months
-Paid down an extra 5000 to mortgage
-Increased all my and my wife's retirement accounts
-Raised all of our meat and butchered myself (chickens, ducks, turkeys, 5 pigs, 1 beef)
-Increased size of my garden and canned/preserved more food
-Spent more time with family
-Increased net worth
-Gave more to church/charity

It's been excellent reading everyone's post on this thread.  Keep up the good work!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
Jengod, what do you use for garbage bags now? Or nothing?

-This year we maxed out our 401ks and iras for the first time. It sounds like kind of a small thing on this site because everyone's doing it, but as two kids from blue collar families, it's really amazing to us that we've been able to do it.

Rockstache, we use nothing now. In the kitchen we have a trashcan with a removable plastic insert (Simple Human stainless on the outside). We have two bathroom trashcans elsewhere in the house and those are just emptied into the plastic insert when it's time to do a trash clear-out. The key is that there is very little wet or gross stuff in the trashcan now because we compost most of that.

In other news, I think it is AMAZING that you maxed out 401ks and IRAs. That is huge. Congrats.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
Here's mine:

-  Stopped buying beverages. Tap water only, including when at work.

-  Started tracking all spending to the last penny. Previously, I simply set worthy financial goals and then met or exceeded them.

-  Stopped eating out about three months ago. No sit down restaurants, no carry out, and no fast food.

-  I've reached minimal FI. Including SS (once I'm old enough) I could fund 130% of my current spending for the rest of my expected life, without earning another dollar. I'm working OMY for inflation and extra contingency.

-  Lowered my Winter thermostat setting from 68 to 60 daytime, 55 nighttime.

-  I will max out my 401k at $24,000. On a middle 50k wage.

-  Instead of a CD, I will deposit an IRA at $6,500 in a Vanguard account.

-  Walked 3 miles home in Summer heat when my car broke down, instead of calling a cab.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
I just started reading MMM a few months ago. 

- Went from a savings rate of zero to 59% in a few months
- Refinanced house from 4.65% to 3.9% interest
- Lowered Cell Phone bill from $130 to $50
- Cut cable
- Lowered internet connection costs from $99 to $69
- Lowered car insurance from $150 a month to $99 a month
- Bought an e-conversion kit for my bike
- Started riding said bike for ALL errands within a 6 mile radius
- Joined Costco and cut grocery bills in half by shopping sales and buying in bulk
- Bought a freezer for the garage to keep my bulk meat and veggie purchases
- Stopped going to restaurants, period.
- Stopped ordering delivery/takeout
- Started making all meals at home
- Started maxing out my 401k contribution every month
- Set up a cash savings account with $2500 for emergencies
- Set up a Vanguard account that I put $2000 into every month
- Started using Personal Capital to track ALL expenses and also track net worth
- Started paying $250 extra every month toward my mortgage principal
- Got a job working from home so I have zero commute
- Started ruthlessly chasing down wasted energy in our home
- Got net worth above $300,000
- Started reading books again after years of not reading for pleasure
- Started actively looking for, and utilizing, "free days" at places like the local museums, zoos, botanic gardens, etc.
- Stopped buying books or renting movies - Netflix and the Library are my sources for these things now

Wow, that's a lot for one year.  Can't wait to see what can be accomplished in 2016!

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Great idea for a thread! Commenting to document our journey AND to keep this thread sticky for future great ideas!

In 2015, we discovered MMM, allowing us to accomplish the following:

* Paid off student loan
* Paid off car loan and sold car
* Moved to a new apt, saving $1000 a month in rent
* Started religiously budgeting and tracking expenses with Mint, and tracking savings/investment with Personal Capital
* Maxed out 401K
* Cut grocery bill in half
* Cut restaurant spending in half
* Moved from AT&T to Airvoice, reducing monthly phone from $180 to $60
* Based on those budget adjustments, we now save my husband's entire paycheck and live just on mine
* Learned about investing, then set up investment accounts and automated investing (thanks iofestavi!)
* Doubled our net worth!

All of this allowed us to set a target FIRE date of 5 years

In 2016, we hope to:

* Cut travel budget in half
* Allow me to half-FIRE (move to part-time or lower-level job)
* Continue saving at least 40% of our income
* Find at least one free form of entertainment a month
* Increase exercise levels
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:16:51 AM by NYCWife »

dmbfan4life20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »
2015 was the year of enlightenment for my wife and I.....

*Found MMM and some other FIRE type websites

*Made our first budget

*Through budget savings, increased our emergency fund and contributed more money into investment accounts.

*Saw our Networth increase!!

*started tracking all saving and spending to figure out savings rate and met goal of 40% savings

*Applied for a new job that hopefully I will start in 2016 that will increase my pay and opportunities down the road in my career

*Realized how much farther ahead my wife and I are financially then other friends/family who make more money

*Found out how great my work benefits truly are. I have a small salary but after looking into everything, my benefits are amazing and help me save lots of money.

2016 Goals

* Get grocery bill down another $100-$150 a month (We eat lots or organic meats and veggies)

*Purchase a new car for $10K or less

*Increase savings rate to 50%

*Increase Networth as much as possible

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
I just did one!

-Signed up for my company's 401(k). Even better: offers Vanguard index funds.

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
This is an awesome thread!!! You are all an inspiration!

I discovered MMM in September of this year. So far we have...
  • Identified serious lifestyle inflation
  • Increased savings rate from 10% to almost 50% (it's still early; I hope it's sustainable)
  • Got bikes and began cycling for nearby errands
  • Cut restaurant/take out spending by 75%
  • Unregistered one of our two vehicles (and maybe sell if experiment goes well!)
  • DIY'd home repairs that we would have outsourced pre-MMM
  • Decreased consumption of meat, increased consumption of pulses and fresh fruit/veg
  • Convinced both sides of my family to have a gift-free Christmas!

Goals for 2016:
  • Prioritize health and fitness!
  • Cut grocery bill by 25% ($400 to $300 a month for two people)
  • Maintain or increase savings rate of 50%
  • Increase bike use, decrease car use
  • Decrease mindless screen time, increase reading time
  • Expand garden (in size and variety of produce)
  • Cut cable TV & home phone (contract expires October 2016)
  • Lower cell phone bill (contract expires December 2016)

ThirdTimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
Wow, so many awesome accomplishments here! You guys are a truly inspirational bunch! Here are mine:

--Maxed out my 403b AND my 457b this year for the first time ever. This meant that more money was going into my retirement accounts each pay period than into my pocket!

--Just accepted a new job that's a $34k raise from my current one! It's also only 4 miles from my apartment with both great bus and bike commute options so I can stop commuting by car.

--Increased my net worth by 38% from this time last year!

--Paid off the last bit of my student loan. This means I'm now entirely debt-free other than whatever I charge on my credit card in the course of a given month.

--Cut back on my diet soda consumption. I still allow myself a 12-pack a week, but I've entirely stopped ordering them at restaurants or buying them from vending machines, 7-11, etc., and I switched to the generic store brand, so that's brought my soda costs down to ~$150/year from the $1000 or so I was spending before(!!).

ReluctantMillennial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
Love this idea.

I discovered MMM in 2015 and read every post.  Decided it would be a good lifestyle to implement.  Accomplishments so far:

-Cut way back on errands, consolidating for one trip when I'm out of everything
-Stopped "shopping" and started only buying what I need
-Started tracking everything in Personal Capital
-Replaced heating/cooling system in my house without having to finance it
-Stopped eating out unless for special occasions or on giftcards I already had
-Contributed $500/month to a Vanguard account
-Contributed 15% of my salary to my 401(k)
-Stopped buying beer and started brewing it with a couple friends
-Worked from home half the time, cutting down on commute expenses
-Replaced all house bulbs with LEDs
-Lowered thermostat to 65 (in the winter) and put on a sweatshirt

Goals for 2016:

-Pay off student loan
-Have tolerance for people in my life who do not live by MMM principles (I have found that this really irritates me)
-Increase Vanguard contributions to $1500/month
-Prepare to replace aging car when the time comes
-Break into net worth of $100k+
-Focus on health and wellness
-Turn 30 (not exactly FIRE-related but still noteworthy)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:21:31 PM by ReluctantMillennial »

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
- Got a new job that will increase my pay by 50-80% over my previous job depending on bonuses.
- Maxed out all tax deferred savings accounts for my family.
- Streamlined credit card and rewards programs to maximize personal rewards for our grocery/gas spend and my work travel. Should average about 5% return on credit card expenses.

Goals for 2016.
Save and invest >$100K between my wife and I (Combined across all accounts)
Crack the $1Million net worth barrier.
Deadlift 500lbs

cars+FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
A great, and very inspiring thread!

2015:

1.) Found out about MMM! Had an epihany about what I was doing and how much better I could be.  Went from about 20% savings to almost 50%
2.) Switched cell phone plans from AT&T to Cricket - $70/mo savings
3.) signed up for some focus groups and pay to surf/survey type activities - worth about $1000/yr
4.) maxed out 401k
5.) maxed out HSA
6.) put $40k into house and set up to pay an extra $400 mo (will turn a 30 year mortgage into 15 year payoff)
7.) set up recurring $900/mo into taxable investments and $800/mo into savings
8.) sold new car, bought older used car that gets better MPG
9.) cut eating out in half
10.) electricity witchhunt in the house, converted a lot of lights to LED

My focus for 2016 is purely mental.  Rather than being on frugal autopilot, each decision is a somewhat painful one.  I need to get to the point where not spending money is the default state, not the one I have to force myself into.

We just found out we are having a second kid so I want to see how we can optimize for having a kid the second time around.  The first kid was definitely not planned with a budget in mind.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
Good thread--giving me ideas and inspiration! Thanks everyone!

Me-- 2015
having zero REI dividend this year.
Completed the "get rid of stuff to match the number of the week" challenge
Learning delayed gratification by getting rid of Netflix and relying on inter library loan
Making my own kombucha
Got my dumpster diving route dialed in
Biked to work every day I worked.

2016--
Increase bike repair knowledge
Bring fasting into my regular eating habits
Kill the sugar habit once and for all.
Saving 80 percent of my take home pay (5 percent increase from last year)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
It's cool to see so much positive change. Looks like a TON of people have discovered Mustachianism recently and are in that awesome stage where you get to make all the massive-money-saving changes! We've kind of passed that already, so any changes we make at this point have a pretty low return.

We did maintain our 60% savings rate I believe (we do the final totals on New Years day), and passed the 150K net worth mark back in May. That's about it though.

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
Found MMM and absorbed the blog and big swathes of forum like a sponge :)

Actually found out where all my money goes.

Become agast at crazy levels of wanton spending.

Stopped buying stupid shit

Stopped going out for food so much (still a lot of improvement to go here)

Began throwing out/selling much of the crap that has been accumulated over the years. The amount of space this has given me living in the exact same apartment minus the clutter is incredible not to mention the reduced effort to store it all and the bit of money it puts in the back pocket. (About 50% done with this)

Contribute to get govt 50% match on kiwisaver

Currently applying for gainful employment over the summer break.

Still lots to do but finding MMM has been a big catalyst for all these small changes which add up

SouthNashStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »
How did you get 5% savings with Ally/Elite etc.?

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »
LOVE this thread! So many great ideas!

In the past two years I got divorced (hello, debt) and re-entered the workforce after being a SAHM (starting from scratch FTW!), then lost my awesome job a year in when the company closed with no notice. Moved across the country 5 months ago for a new job, discovered MMM, and have accomplished the following:

*Eating in 99% of the time
*Will have paid off one credit card by the end of 2015
*Rolled over two small 401(k)s into current employer's and began contributing again
*Took advantage of employer's Dependent Care FSA (max contribution) for 2016
*Started an HSA (no employer contribution, sadly)
*Started an FSA (phasing it out in favor of high-deductible insurance and HSA in 2016)
*Ditched the Keurig and bought a high-end coffee grinder/percolator on CL for CHEAP
*Sold clothes the kids have outgrown
*Sold an expensive purse I never used
*Got the kids like-new bikes on CL for Christmas for a fraction of the cost (Omaha is very bike-friendly)
*Located a new apartment closer to SO's work so he can bicycle commute; it also has a garage to store our bikes, stockpile good grocery deals, etc. AND it's located next to a neighborhood market
*Have begun researching areas to eventually buy a house in an area where bike errands will be easy, library nearby, etc. 
*Began powerlifting -- already seeing health and strength benefits
*Ditched Netflix - now just use Prime TV and digital thingy (a gift) to pull in local channels
*Ditched satellite radio in car

In 2016, plan to do the following:

*Pay off other credit card
*Start throwing massive payments at auto loan
*Pay back parents for loan (for relocation and crooked divorce attorney)
*Move to more Mustachian apartment when current lease is up
*Take work clothes to a tailor to be tweaked instead of buying new
*Buy a bike and trailer for me and begin doing errands
*Cut gas consumption in half
*Slowly and gently convince SO to forgo hedonistic purchases in favor of paying off his debt
*Publish another novel and pimp others to increase royalties (second income)
*Research investment options for when high-interest debt is paid off
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:22:38 AM by OmahaSteph »

supersaverman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »
We only discovered MMM this year (wish we found out sooner!) Changes have only been made in the past 2 months after years upon years of reckless spending..we never had any debt, no students loans, no credit card, but our spending was still crazy so we clamped down big time.

eat at home for all meals, restaurants used to be 2-3 times a week. now reserved for occasions with friends and family.

sold all our crap on craigslist and ebay

invested a huge chunk of "emergency" cash into the market leaving only about 15k for emergencies (used to be close to 6 figures)

started doing more "free" activities with the kids such as hiking, trips to library, hanging out at parks (used to always need to go "somewhere" with some activity that included $$$

sold my 4 year old paid off MDX and leased a Prius. I know some would disagree with the lease but it was only $239/mo and the gas savings pays for over half of that! Plus got back 23k from the sale of the MDX and put into index funds.

and the biggest of all, we listed our over priced luxurious house for sale. going to rent cheaply for a while and maybe get back to home ownership in a few years, hopefully in a less heated market and for a much smaller affordable house.

very life changing stuff, THANKS MMM!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:42:07 AM by supersaverman »

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
Triumphs:

Wife cuts kid's hair (and, now that she's got some practice, cuts mine).

Switched from Verizon to PagePlus on cell phone ($90 -> $30)

Been better about packing my lunch.

Submitted all my expense reports for the year. (Naturally disorganized, and had been leaving too much money on the table.)

Have bought almost nothing for New Baby, save for wipes/diapers. Third child gets the leftovers.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
The only thing I did was reduce my cell phone plan.  By calling up Verizon, I got my bill reduce while increasing my services. A crime how they play games.

In 2016, I am setting up some goals for myself so I am looking forward to the new year and doing things differently.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
Wins:
- DH will pack peanut butter  and only complain once or twice if I fail to plan ahead for work lunches. He used to go out and buy lunch every single time!
- DH has gotten more in the mindset of trying to fix stuff instead of immediately buy a replacement. He has become so much more patient in this aspect.
- Finally got to switch our cell phones to cricket. $40/mo saved.
- Maxed 401ks, Roths, and HSA's for the first time ever!
- Took 3 week backpacking trip. (Maybe not a win because now I want to quit my job and travel)
- If we stay on course we will squeak by and hit 50.1% savings rate! Not including HSA, company match, or student loan principal (About 56% if you include all that).
- Started a brokerage account! We are using it as the vehicle for what would be extra loan payments.

Losses:
- Failed to reduce our budget to live on one income. This is very stressful with DH on a contract job which abruptly stops and forces weeks off without notice.
- Entertainment and discretionary spending is super high.

Next Year:
**Really unsure. I'm so tempted to give up and just blow up my life in one way or another. Potentially move back to an apartment and give up my hobbies and lifestyle inflation. Or quitting my job. Taking time off to travel (except I have no money!). Either way DH's lucrative contract job is up in March and we really need to buckle down and reevaluate. As a result, I can't plan to do so well in the savings dept next year as a definite. I'm thinking more in terms of a soft skills type of movement towards mustachianism as my focus.

What I'd like to do:
- Save enough in Jan-May (10 years after graduation sounds like a very good motivator!) to have the brokerage account match remaining student loan balance. It will be very tough to not liquidate the account and pay them off on a random day of depression. Ideally I'd like to continue paying minimums, open a second brokerage account for savings (leave this one alone), and have a big bonus when the loans are paid off in 10 more years. We will see how this goes.
- Max 401k's, IRA's, and HSA's again
- Get expenses down to one income level for stress relief.
- Stop worrying and obsessing about money and updating mint/and spreadsheets daily.
- Gain some sanity, step back, and start working on myself and fulfilling interests. Learn to not feel guilty about spending money on something I'm interested in or is building skills. Just do it so I can grow as a person. Allow DH to feel the same.
- Start exploring new careers or jobs that offer flexibility without worrying about the money aspect. Ideally, I'd like to find a career or niche I can get into where I only work 6-9 months of the year and then have extended time off. But I have no idea what this is or how to get there!
- Kick internet addiction!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Used YNAB & Mint to track things.
Downsized from a studio apartment to a room in a shared apartment.
Took two graduate courses in spring (instead of the one I planned) to keep a scholarship and then kept the momentum going after my work contract ended in June, so I will end up finishing half the degree requirements this month.
Got a part-time job.
Found a full-time job that will start in early 2016, assuming some last details work out.

I've only maintained, rather than adding to, my net worth in 2015, but considering that I've been unemployed or underemployed half the year and have paid for two career-related international trips plus 18 graduate credits, I'm pretty happy with that.

retireasap26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
- Paid off business loan $9,400
- Paid off student loan $7,000
- Paid off car. Own vehicles outright.
- Husband fenced our house himself
- Grocery budget for 3 under $400 several months
- $6,500 in spouse's 457 plan
- Canceled Dish Network. Use Netflix.
- Cancelled gym memberships.  Bought kettlebells off EBay.
- At least 20 donation trips to Goodwill.
- Save about 40% of gross income either through actual savings or debt paydown, and tax optimize a good bit more with dependent care FSA and, unfortunately, expensive employer health insurance.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »
2015 Accomplishments:
- New job with ~25% pay increase and metro accessibility, enabling the next two points...
- Sold my car
- Set 403(b) contribution to max (will not hit max until next year; did this when I started the new job)

Goals for 2016:
- Improve technical work-related skills
- Consider side-hustling
- Work on putting quality over quantity when it comes to new purchasing needs to be more environmentally sustainable
- Get tiny balcony garden to grow more than 10 baby leaves of swiss chard (it did do OK on our herbs, but it would've been nice to get actual vegetables!)

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
I love this thread! Already have gotten a few ideas of what to do next. Struggling a bit this month and last with keeping up with frugality consistently.

But, we had a great 2015:

• Reduced spending on interest by paying off 33K in debt principal so far. Paid off 3 student loans. 
• Reduced student loan interest by refinancing 7.65% loan to 3.35% through Earnest (https://goo.gl/OjXubY)
• Got a new job that will increase pay by 17%. Got two raises and a promotion. HB got a raise.
• Lower internet bill from $60/month to $54/month
• Made homemade laundry detergent and dishwasher soap.
• Reduced spending on travel, random Amazon purchases, and eating out.  (Still needs further work!)
• Replaced ½ of bulbs with LED bulbs when on sale from Home Depot.
• Weather-proofed the house
• Implemented personal allowances & made it so all eating out comes out of allowance. This led to reduced eating out.  We eat from home much more than we ever have.
• Learned how to make pizza dough, pie dough, pizza sauce from scratch
• Got wills done and optimized life insurance

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »
Wow!   Lots of ass kicking in this thread.   It's also got to be a huge kick to MMM to see how many people amplified their lives by being smarter with the resources God gave them...    Here's my list of changes...

1.  Most importantly of all, I changed my life from my paying others to use their money to now having others pay me to use my money!   Everything below are small, yet kick-ass, victories in this vein.    We now earn far more per month on our money than we pay in interest or other damned fees.

2.  Used cash I inherited plus a steady stream of income to pay down my mortgage from $247K at year end 2014 to $109K at year end 2015.   

3. Recast my mortgage from $1100 per month to < $500 per month.

4. Redployed our after tax investments from mostly "growth" to "income+growth".   Despite the market, still grew original assets 4% and increased monthly passive income over $1,000 per month.    Add that to #3 above and our money now pays us almost $1,600 a month more than it did last December!

5. Cut expenses.   Negotiated my cable company down from $93 per month to $36 per month for broadband plus most basic local station cable.   Dropped our power bill almost 20% with LED bulbs, smarter consumption, new appliances, air conditioning tuneups.   Eliminated a car loan to drop the monthly "nut" we had to make and increase saving margin / debt pay-off ability.

6.  The thing that is the most feel good of all is my wife and I now talk about debt as "our" adversary.   Before, debt was "my" adversary because I am the financial guy and pay the bills, etc..   And spending money we didn't have was her friend.

7. I paid off all our existing cars and have tamed my expensive car habit of 25+ years.   But my gift to myself will be new wheels once I've paid off our mortgage entirely plus saved for the next wheels.   

8. Maxed my 401K for the first time in my life.   Opened a Roth account.

All was not wonderful though (if folks read this far even).   I joined a swim/tennis club that costs us $225 per month for the family to use it.   We need to F-ing move back to a smaller swim tennis neighborhood or somewhere else where we don't have to buy friends.   And I bought my daughter a used car on credit to shave $500 or so off the sales price that I have to pay back early in 2016.    Life is hard, but good and we're dealing with it.

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
Great thread! We got our sh*t together this year, around July, when our bank updated its website and it longer played nicely with Mint. So we searched around for another solution and found MMM and YNAB. EYES NOW OPEN!

This year we:
*Developed a frugal, serious and realistic budget, slashing spending in absolutely every category
*Paid off $9K cc debt
*Ditched our lease car and PAID CASH for a used Prius
*PAID CASH for our half of my step-kid's braces
*Paid off a ton of back taxes
*Got back to daily intense exercise -- at home, not a gym (and DH lost 35 pounds!)
*Religiously taking our lunches to work
*Took a camping staycation instead of something more expensive
*Developed a sense of "we're gonna be OK financially" for the first time ever.

For 2016 we're on track to:
*Pay off $40K in student and personal loans by August
*Put aside deposit money for our eventual move to another apartment
*Start maxing out DH's 401K by September
*Start investing in VTSAX by September

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Figured my shit out!
-moved from high fee mutual funds to low cost index funds
-stopped paying extra on our mortgage, investing in tax-advantaged accounts instead (50% savings rate this year)
-considering moving to a more mustachian-friendly area
-made a budget

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 04:36:42 AM »
Been on the MMM path for a number of years, but also seeking to improve!

2015:
Opened an account at Vanguard and rolled over an old 401k
Listed our "MIL apartment" on Air BnB to make some extra cash
Upped my grocery shopping game and starting making better use of our BJs membership
Nearly doubled my income from 2014 through good networking and some major hustling

2016:
Rollover two more accounts in my Vanguard IRA
Make a price book for groceries and stop relying on my memory
Expand side business #1 to make it self-sustaining
Launch side business #2

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
- convince wife to keep her paid off car rather than buy SUV if we have a second child (this might require divine intervention)
LOL! My wife has a paid off sports car she bought new before we met. It is our only car. Whenever we discuss kids she brings up buying a *new* POS (enter any SUV here). Why does everyone think one needs 60+ cubic feet of cabin space to transport a less than 1 cubic foot infant? It is so bizarre to me. And MMM has made me feel confident in saying this out loud in 2015, even though I have been thinking it as long as I can remember.  :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
Accomplished in 2015:
- Maxed out my TFSA (41,000$) - left my old ones in government bonds (I used to work as a freelance photographer with very little job stability... this made me feel better). Other half (3/4 of which was contributed in 2015) put in low-cost index funds.
- Contributed to my RRSP (just enough to lower myself to lowest tax bracket, but leaving enough left-over for when I make a higher income).
- Took a frugal and lovely vacation to Costa Rica (counting it as a win because it makes me insanely happy and the two weeks cost as much as my paycheck was for those two weeks... so not too bad).
- Re-started freelancing, depositing all this revenue into my US account (dual-citizen), so I can contribute 100% of it into my IRA.
- Convinced my friend to rent-out his empty condo here while he works overseas. Help manage the place in exchange for 10% of the monthly rent.

Goals for 2016:
- Continue to max-out my TFSA
- Contribute more into RRSP
- Open taxable account (most likely Vanguard) with what I should not contribute to RRSP (no where near high enough tax bracket for it to be worth wasting RRSP room).
- Continue the side-hustling without burning out.
- Do some traveling, of course.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »
 - After having a MMM style savings rate (30-40% minimum) for the last few years, I finally beat my nerves and opened both an IRA and a taxable account through Vanguard. It's wee and delicate still, but it's a start!
 - Over the course of the last year got a 4K/year base raise, and this year got a 4K bonus. Makes that savings rate even sweeter (when you're not a high income earner especially).
 - With that raise and switch of office locations, I can now walk the mile to work. Get the blood flowing and I don't pay for parking.
 - Lazy-weather-proofed my patio door for the winter (rolled up blankets!)
 - Not money related, but I started upping the time I'm spending on personal projects (writing) that do not turn an income, likely never will, but make me happier.
 - Am planning a vacation to Costa Rica??? Somewhere... in march, hopefully using Groupon and saving some bucks there.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
2015 Accomplishments:

-Opened i401k for myself and will likely max by April 2015 (self employed).
-Purchased second rental property.
-Bathroom and Bedroom remodel for kids (split one large bedroom into two small) and added a Trex deck to outdoor living space paid for with cash and all completely DIY.
-Sold Audi A6 4.2L and bought a Honda Pilot (not the most mustachian but saving a ton in maintenance for something I don't drive often).
-Husband maxed 401k.
-Got rid of cable, stream netflix and local antenna
-Switched from ATT to straight talk, saving $90/month
-Paid $200/month extra on main mortgage
-Saved $10k towards kids' college funds
-Started cutting my own hair.  Always cut husband's and kid's previously.

2016 Goals:
-Roll over all old 401k's into IRA's with Vanguard
-Do estate planning with a lawyer, which will likely involve setting up a trust.
-Max all tax advantaged accounts again.
-$10k into college funds
-Bump extra on mortgage payment to $300 or $400/mo
-Make weekly trips to local Library with kids (by bike)
-Make at least 50% of grocery trips by bike.
-Go from 3 days/week of work to 2 days/week of work (scheduled to start in Jan!).
-Quit work in June or July to be SAHM 
-Kitchen remodel with cash and all DIY
-Possibly remodel master bathroom with cash/DIY (which would conclude all major remodel projects, may be pushed into 2017). 

On a personal level:
- I'd like to lose the last 10-15 lbs that's been nagging me since forever.  I'm about 10 lbs below my pre-baby weight but another 10-15 would be ideal for me not to feel "fluffy"
-Completely kick the diet soda habit.  I've cut way back to about 1 per day but I really think I need to eliminate it completely as it's a slippery slope and I also think it's a bad example for my children.

thef0x

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Love this thread as it's so practically inspiring. 

2015:

-- Lived in Colombia for 4 months of the year, saving mad $$ while living a more luxurious lifestyle.
-- Backpacked over 150 miles for the cost of food, saw beautiful sights and saved mulah.
-- Increased business revs from $960 to $6,000 in 8 months. 
-- Bootstrapped the above business and only "spent" $5,000 to do so (which I have earned back).
-- Highest all-time networth.
-- Created and maxed out Roth IRA.
-- Back to Colombia again for Jan & Feb to save that money!

Ways to easily improve 2016:

-- Go out for food less in PNW, more in Colombia.
-- Spend less on drinks in general.
-- Live abroad more.
-- Use Mint.com everyday to track expenses.
-- Grow net profit to $12,000(±$500) a month.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:23:24 PM by thef0x »