Author Topic: Moved to Taiwan  (Read 8512 times)

malacca

• Bristles
Moved to Taiwan
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
We were in Malaysia but the Chinese schools were lacking. So we headed off to Taiwan for the kids sake.

Taiwan is a decent place. Probably the most friendly people on earth. COL is not so low but you can live cheaply if you go local.

We wanted to experience Taiwan and my young kids were eager as they attend Chinese school and liked the schools here more.

Paperwork and red tape VERY thick here for some things. But schools are easy. We just picked a school we liked and they started the same day even though our visa paperwork wasn't completed.

Hardest part for me is that I can't read Chinese. Now I know what it feels like to be illiterate!

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/moved-abroad/

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
Re: Moved to Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Wow, interesting!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Cool story.  How old are you kids?

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
10 and 7.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 05:31:52 AM »
Nice! Taipei or Kaohsiung? Was surprised at what a low COL Taipei has for a capital city. I hear the schools are better there than in Malaysia. Lots of opportunities for your kids to experience incredible nature and indigenous cultures. Best wishes to all in your new location.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
What does "go local" mean in this context?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
would love to move to Taiwan, following....

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »
I have heard that Taiwan is a great place to raise children. I don't see my family moving there full time, but I have thought about spending a summer there and sending my kids to summer camp/summer school for a full immersion experience (they are learning Mandarin in school but we don't speak it at home and all their friends are English speaking). I have heard the humidity is brutal, thought.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
Well, I am all the way south in Kaosiung. We arrived at the end of August. It is hot and humid but not as bad as Taipei.

If you want a full immersion experience just plop your kids in a local school for a semester or two. There are a few schools that specialize in taking kids that do not know Chinese well (or at all!). School is free sans a few activity fees.

And the weather is better during the school year than the summer.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Taiwan is a decent place. Probably the most friendly people on earth. COL is not so low but you can live cheaply if you go local.
what's the cost of living like? am considering retirement in taiwan..

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
COL in Taiwan can be high or moderate - it all depends on how you live.

Locals have a low COL but their lifestyles are bit different.

If you are flexible enough you can leave cheaply. You can move to a smaller town and avoid imported stuff you can live pretty cheaply.

I find that Malaysia is has a much lower COL.

Taiwanese are very nice people. I can see why people end up here long term.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
One of the downsides to moving to a place like Taiwan is that you are basically illiterate!

I think Malaysia is a lot easier as almost everything is in English.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:15:08 AM »
Ptf

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Very cool!  I lived in Hsinchu (between Taipei and Taichung) for 5 years.  Taiwan is a great place.

I've got a 3.5 year old right now, and it's interesting to hear what you're saying about schools for kids who don't really know Chinese...

malacca

• Bristles
Update: Moved to Taiwan
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 07:48:53 AM »
Well, we have been here for more than six months.

This is a better place for a single person (male more than female). Somewhat OK for a couple. But pretty hard for a family.

My kids are doing great as they are fluent in Chinese and like the school.

But the overhead of everyday life here is stifling. Taiwan just hasn't figured out what the other Asian Tigers have. And anything nice is very expensive.

The people doing the best here are single males under 60. No, it is not like Thailand. But it is easy to meet someone and enjoy yourself.

I met several guys who came here on a tourist visa, got a cheap room (something less than an apartment) for $300 or less a month and travelled around. Some work as teachers - less for the money and more to meet people. For this group life is easy and not much to worry about. Taiwan is a pretty safe place (sans the roads). Taiwanese can be very friendly and helpful. English is widely spoken - especially in the big cities.

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
Spent a lot time in Tianan. Was very nice. Now I am in Suzhou, China. I liked Taiwan MUCH MUCH better. You can even sneak off to the mountains or the beach in a day trip!

Also, it is more congested in Taiwan than China so even more scooters. Spent a lot of time in Tianan at the red wolf. Also, the people are Chinese but think more freely, like Americans.

Good Luck!

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
So jealous!  I spent two years in South Taiwan before I moved back to the States and started a family.

I'd love to go back, but I don't want to give up my cushy paycheck...

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »

duncan7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
I lived in Taipei from 2006 until 2017 and loved it.

Moved (home) to Ireland in 2017 seeking a better quality of life and better education for our kids. We think we've found both. Wife is Taiwanese and I could speak a fair bit of Chinese before so that helped.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
I have been to Taiwan and love the place. Do you think it’s good investment to buy an apartment there only to live there once a month and see the price appreciation of property?

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
We are out of here! For the summer. It is 85 when we wake up. And it was 96 in Taipei.

So off to NYC for some sightseeing and then who knows.

Problems with Taiwan? If you are of Taiwanese blood or married to a Taiwanese things are fairly smooth.

But for everyone else things are hit or miss. We have been here for a year - and I am an investor in Taiwan - but they won't renew my damn visa because I didn't do certain things when I arrived (stuff we had no idea we had to do - and is contrary to our business plan). In fact, it took one month just to find out HOW to renew my visa. The government agency that issued my visa said I didn't have to do anything as my visa is valid forever. The story is way too long for this forum.

And we couldn't be part of the National Health Plan. Why? Because I travel outside the country too often. Turns out you can't travel for the first 6 months you are here or you are not eligible. So all higher level business buys like me can never get on the plan. I HAVE to travel for my business. And we as a family like to travel.

These are just two stupid government things in Taiwan - there are many more. Be warned - if you don't fit inside the often used government cookie cutter, life can be hell.

This is a great place for traveller or see-the-world-while-teaching-English travelers. The people are extremely nice, English is widely spoken and in general it is a safe place.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 10:06:40 PM »
We are out of here! For the summer. It is 85 when we wake up. And it was 96 in Taipei.

So off to NYC for some sightseeing and then who knows.

Problems with Taiwan? If you are of Taiwanese blood or married to a Taiwanese things are fairly smooth.

But for everyone else things are hit or miss. We have been here for a year - and I am an investor in Taiwan - but they won't renew my damn visa because I didn't do certain things when I arrived (stuff we had no idea we had to do - and is contrary to our business plan). In fact, it took one month just to find out HOW to renew my visa. The government agency that issued my visa said I didn't have to do anything as my visa is valid forever. The story is way too long for this forum.

And we couldn't be part of the National Health Plan. Why? Because I travel outside the country too often. Turns out you can't travel for the first 6 months you are here or you are not eligible. So all higher level business buys like me can never get on the plan. I HAVE to travel for my business. And we as a family like to travel.

These are just two stupid government things in Taiwan - there are many more. Be warned - if you don't fit inside the often used government cookie cutter, life can be hell.

This is a great place for traveller or see-the-world-while-teaching-English travelers. The people are extremely nice, English is widely spoken and in general it is a safe place.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Taiwan is a place I am open to come retirement.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »
Well, we left Taiwan.

Taiwan was a great place to visit. But it was way too hard to live there as an expat and triply hard with a family.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
Curious but where are you now Malacca? The thought of moving to Taiwan crossed my mind but definitely second thoughts after reading your experience.