Author Topic: Mobile Device Reimbursement from work  (Read 1453 times)

howlongisnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mobile Device Reimbursement from work
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
Talking with a coworker and he mentioned the mobile device reimbursement that we receive, which led me to check on my own because I hadn't noticed it the last time I'd checked my pay breakdown. Turns out I wasn't getting it because the form had never been finished when I started two years ago.

Contacted HR and they got me the paperwork again, plus (after I asked) they agreed to compensate me for the past year that I'd missed (they couldn't do 2016 because books are closed for the year). Finished getting the form signed by the necessary people today, and got my manager to approve me for data and voice compensation ($90/month) instead of just voice ($50/month), which I hadn't expected to happen.

Our monthly cell phone bill is $55/month for two lines, so work is now paying for all of that plus an extra $35/month. Wish I'd noticed it before, but glad that the impact wasn't too bad. Plus I might've ended up getting $50/month back then (different manager at the time).

Illgetthere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mobile Device Reimbursement from work
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
Nice! And good job getting some back pay! Reimbursement was a nice perk when I started my job ($110/month tax free). It more than covered me and the spouse as well.

Then they decided to cut costs and reimburse as a percentage based on job title with only executives receiving the full allotment. I still get something, but it no longer covers the full bill or even my share

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »
My firm used to do this. Complete reimbursement of your bills, up to $110/mo, but you had to submit every page of the bill. I switched to a cheaper plan which does not provide an itemized bill (Metro PCS). I was expensing way less that everyone else. Boss just thought I was cheap. He didn't realize that what I was actually doing was protecting my privacy. And I'm frugal, not cheap.

Eventually, they issued everyone Blackberries and tried to make us port our existing phone numbers. (Really. In about 2010-11. Funny, I know.) They wanted to be able to keep your contacts in case you left the company. FU, sez I. I kept my old phone and number. Left the BB in the car all day, in case the company called or messaged. Even my boss never called me on the new number. From then on, I paid my own phone bill and wrote it off on my taxes. When I hit FIRE at the end of 2012, I left with my phone number, contacts, and privacy  intact. Totally worth it.

Back to you: the fact that the books are "closed" is bullshit. This error was not your fault. They should find another way to compensate you. If not actual dollars, how about some PTO?

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
My firm used to do this. Complete reimbursement of your bills, up to $110/mo, but you had to submit every page of the bill. I switched to a cheaper plan which does not provide an itemized bill (Metro PCS). I was expensing way less that everyone else. Boss just thought I was cheap. He didn't realize that what I was actually doing was protecting my privacy. And I'm frugal, not cheap.

Eventually, they issued everyone Blackberries and tried to make us port our existing phone numbers. (Really. In about 2010-11. Funny, I know.) They wanted to be able to keep your contacts in case you left the company. FU, sez I. I kept my old phone and number. Left the BB in the car all day, in case the company called or messaged. Even my boss never called me on the new number. From then on, I paid my own phone bill and wrote it off on my taxes. When I hit FIRE at the end of 2012, I left with my phone number, contacts, and privacy  intact. Totally worth it.

Same here. First they wanted me to install their "security program" on my phone, which I was paying for.  I could have taken their phone and gotten reimbursed but then I'd have to carry 2 phones because nothing of mine was going to go on to that phone. I left before this issue was resolved. No way would I have any personal info on a phone with corporate IT access. Not worth the reimbursement.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
Amen, sister!