Author Topic: Minor badassity: wearing same clothes for years and years  (Read 9272 times)

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Minor badassity: wearing same clothes for years and years
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »
This is minor, but fun: I’ve been noticing that when photos from 5 or 8 years ago pop up in my Facebook feed (I think they call them “Memories”), oftentimes the clothes I’m wearing in the photo are things I still wear. For example, in a photo with my cousins from 7 years ago, I was wearing an H&M tank top that I just wore last week on vacation in Mexico. (And the tank top probably cost $20 in the first place, so I’m thinking I’ve gotten great value out of it!)

I usually buy pretty plain, non-trendy clothes, so I think I can get away with wearing them longer and not looking terribly out of style. Anyway, I’ve gotten a kick out of those Facebook posts just for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powskier

• Bristles
Re: Minor badassity: wearing same clothes for years and years
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
I am 46 and still have and wear some clothes I got when I was 17.
Up until early 20's I still darned my socks because that's what we did growing up, I just toss them in the rag bin now( useful for the bike habit I have...)
A friend pointed out that maybe the most admirable part of this is staying the same size.......

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
That is badass, both for the frugality and for staying the same size.

I'm with you on this one.  I hate shopping and I mend stuff as much as I can.  Pants are a problem, even jeans, because they wear out on the inner thighs from the bike saddle (I bike a lot).  Once the material gets thin and starts to shred, there's not much I can do.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
Yes! I had a hilarious moment a couple weeks ago when I was with a friend. She showed me her facebook memory from the day, a picture of us when we were in college. I was wearing nearly the EXACT same outfit... same t shirt, same light jacket, same scarf. I think only the jeans and shoes were different? Anyway, we got a laugh out of that one.

Nice from an environmentally friendly view point too, if you aren't buying and throwing away a ton of clothes. Most textiles do not get resold even when they're donated- the vast majority ends up in landfills apparently.

Plus I get to be lazy ;)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »

Nice from an environmentally friendly view point too, if you aren't buying and throwing away a ton of clothes. Most textiles do not get resold even when they're donated- the vast majority ends up in landfills apparently.

After Katrina, one of the news shows was doing a story because so many church groups were renting a truck and driving donations down to New Orleans.  The commentator spoke to someone there who said that almost all of the clothes were sold off as "rag stock".  Very sad.  Well, I'm wearing sneakers that were my dad's years ago.  He passed away over 10 years ago so I know these are in the 15 year old range.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
I have a good amount of clothes that are 5+ years old (I'm only 26).  I still have the shirt that I wore to my job interview when I was hired almost seven years ago.  I wouldn't remember, but a coworker gave me shit for wearing it multiple times my first few weeks on the job.  Thanks, jerk; glad I don't give a crap.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
I have a good amount of clothes that are 5+ years old (I'm only 26).  I still have the shirt that I wore to my job interview when I was hired almost seven years ago.  I wouldn't remember, but a coworker gave me shit for wearing it multiple times my first few weeks on the job.  Thanks, jerk; glad I don't give a crap.

Ughhhhh I've gotten this at work. I'm a friggin nurse. Scrubs are literally meant to be bled on/pooped on/etc. Why the hell would I bother owning a ton of them? I'll own as many as I need to not have to do laundry all the time, no more. Not to mention, it's kinda crazy expensive for ones that fit well and hold up to abuse for a while.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
Good for you!  I keep wearing my "vintage" clothes, too, as long as they don't get ragged.  Some friends commented just this week on how flattering my dress was...I'd purchased it in 1998. :D 

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
I just retired a pair of work trousers last week.
They were about 8 years old and multiple seams were beyond fixable.
Considering the abuse it suffered, it is amazing it last this long relative to my normal dress jeans rarely more than 4 years of normal use (I usually have 3 that I rotate).
In work clothes, you really get mileage for your money!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:27:22 PM by GilbertB »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »
All my flannel shirts if they didn't get torn are ten years old plus. My jeans same thing.  Last week at the gym a guy said wow thats an old T-shirt because not of the condition but what was on it. Over 20 years old. Have long Underwear easily 20 years old still like new.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
I’ve been thinking about this too. I still wear a bunch of clothes from circ 1991-1995. We lived in a different place, and I can remember getting them there 22-26 years ago!

I have newer stuff too, but lots of that is about 20 years old too.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
Most of my pants are in the 6-8 year old range.  Bought 'em new at Old Navy, for like $22/pair. I have t-shirts that I've had for a LONG time, including one from freshman year in college (1991). But t-shirts often get relegated to workout clothes after a year or two, because of the nasty pit stains they get (I sweat a lot and deodorant embeds in the fabric).

That being said, I had a $50 gift card from last Christmas for Banana Republic. Wife was bitching about how I was dressing for a holiday party, so I figured I'd go use the gift card to get something new.  Well hell, every item in the store was 40% off, plus an additional 20% off your total purchase. Walked out with some really nice stuff for $80.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »
Most of my pants are in the 6-8 year old range.  Bought 'em new at Old Navy, for like $22/pair. I have t-shirts that I've had for a LONG time, including one from freshman year in college (1991). But t-shirts often get relegated to workout clothes after a year or two, because of the nasty pit stains they get (I sweat a lot and deodorant embeds in the fabric).

That being said, I had a $50 gift card from last Christmas for Banana Republic. Wife was bitching about how I was dressing for a holiday party, so I figured I'd go use the gift card to get something new.  Well hell, every item in the store was 40% off, plus an additional 20% off your total purchase. Walked out with some really nice stuff for $80.

Old Navy pants have been my most recent rage. They fit great, were cheap. Turned to overly-elastic mush in like 2 months. #neveragain.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
Staff at the local bike shop say "hey nice vintage jacket." Bought it there 15 years ago. January sale, 50% off (only time I go there). Winter bike jackets do not wear out.
It's slightly embarrassing having new stuff all the time, I find.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
I've noticed that with my old travel photos! I have certain pieces that are just PERFECT for travel - comfortable, classy, light, quick drying, impossible to wrinkle, and they fold up (or squish) super tiny. I have one shirt (which I'm coincidentally wearing to work today) that's been to literally 22 countries so far, with no end in sight.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
I've noticed that with my old travel photos! I have certain pieces that are just PERFECT for travel - comfortable, classy, light, quick drying, impossible to wrinkle, and they fold up (or squish) super tiny. I have one shirt (which I'm coincidentally wearing to work today) that's been to literally 22 countries so far, with no end in sight.

Oh yes. I have some highly international underwear, haha.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
Badass!
Frankly I don't understand replacing clothes for any reason other than being worn out. My kids and I wear out our clothes. DW has some fashion sense and rotates hers through the thrift store to a small extent. I don't understand it, but it makes her happy, and I do understand that :)

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Watch out, my wife has just discovered how comfortable that pile of 15 year old shirts I have are; they same shirts she had been complaining about me keeping and then tried to turn into a quilt. Now she is threatening to buy more shirts so I can break them in for the next 15 years.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
I have a stack of t-shirts from high school that I still wear, so those are at least 17 years old.  The ones from college are at least 13.  My husband still wears his shirts from OCS 13 years ago too.  I don't get rid of clothes until they shred!   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Watch out, my wife has just discovered how comfortable that pile of 15 year old shirts I have are; they same shirts she had been complaining about me keeping and then tried to turn into a quilt. Now she is threatening to buy more shirts so I can break them in for the next 15 years.

Hahahaha. 100% how I get my pajama tops =P Currently wearing: old tshirt of husbands. Old sweatshirt of... ??? no idea, I've had it for like 20 years. Old sweatpants of ???? they were left at my house last christmas and no one seemed to know whose they were.

Pre-broken in clothes are the best. I've never understood people who hate used clothes. That just means someone dealt with the itchy/scratchy part for you already!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
I still regularly wear clothing from university.  It's not like clothes have a best before date.  :P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
I still have a dress from when I was 10. I'm 24 now. I barely ever use it, but it still fits perfectly and looks really classy.

I'm almost two feet taller than when I was 10.  Did you not hit puberty, or were you a monster sized 10 year old?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
I still have a dress from when I was 10. I'm 24 now. I barely ever use it, but it still fits perfectly and looks really classy.

I'm almost two feet taller than when I was 10.  Did you not hit puberty, or were you a monster sized 10 year old?

-Dresses are more forgiving for height than many garments, especially if short sleeved.
-A lot of girls grow very tall very young, and then stop early. At least, me and several female classmates all did. Seems to be somewhat of a pattern for tall women, from what I've seen?

If so, Hirondelle, I'm sorry if you shared in similar Stork Years as I did =P

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
I've never been a 'clothes' person.  I like a new jacket or pair of shoes on occasion, but otherwise just have no interest in shopping for or buying clothes in general.

Always function over form when it comes to clothes.

Anyway, I write this wearing the same shirt today in the office that also graces my company badge from 9 years ago.

A few co-workers have noticed over the years.  Always funny when it comes up.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
De-cluttered the closet in early 2017, re-thought my wardrobe based on my current lifestyle, made a plan and picked up new things throughout the year. Now I'm loving my clothes again.
I hate washed out tops, stretched out of shape clothing and anything that doesn't fit well, but I got into a rut with "bag lady look" tendencies and it was not pretty and it certainly wasn't really me. Actually I was surprised to see how many holy and stained tops I had in my closet - how the hell did that happen? I do like fashion, no matter my age and I do like change - that's just me.

I happily splurged on some pretty dresses this year and spend some time looking for well fitting shorts and tops. I am glad I did and I'm fairly certain that I can get away with not buying any clothing at all in 2018 if I want to. Other than some hiking boots (must have for a trip) and perhaps a new bag - which is only a want - since unfortunately all my bags seems to live forever and I feel guilty for wanting a new one - for a change:)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Pre-broken in clothes are the best. I've never understood people who hate used clothes. That just means someone dealt with the itchy/scratchy part for you already!

I'm so glad someone else feels this way. I explain my thrift store habit by saying that I prefer clothes, especially jeans, to have been worn in for me. Three of my children are the same; the fourth child doesn't get it at all and thinks we're all beyond revolting.

I have a wardrobe full of vintage clothing. Last week I went to a work night out wearing a skirt that my ex-husband accused me of buying in order to conceal assets and intending to return for a refund after our divorce was finalised; it's been almost 12 years since I got my Decree Absolute. Ex-husband, in the meantime, is still wearing sweaters I knitted for him before our first child was born, and she's 26.

ToolateforER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
I'm sitting here, working from home in the sweatshirt I stole from my roommate when I was 23. I'm in my late 40's now.

The only thing that keeps me from wearing more of my clothes for years and years is changes in size/weight. Hoping to take a few pounds off and then stay there for awhile...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »
The only thing that keeps me from wearing more of my clothes for years and years is changes in size/weight.

This has been one of my primary motivations to regularly work out.  I've worn the same waist of pants since grade 9.

ToolateforER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
Congrats, GuitarSTV! Wish I could say the same, but I've been all over the map multiple times. I've mostly maintained a reasonable exercise habit in my life, so that's not really my issue. Stress eating is my issue, which I'm working on now. And ramping up strength training to help build muscle and combat my middle-aged metabolism. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
Old Navy pants have been my most recent rage. They fit great, were cheap. Turned to overly-elastic mush in like 2 months. #neveragain.

Their quality went to hell several years ago.  When I was in grad school (2003-4) I bought four colors of the same long-sleeved T from them, and they were great.  Sleeves were long enough (always a problem for me with women's clothes) and they held their shape and wore really well.  Around 2010 or so, I went in and bought a couple long-sleeve shirts from them and they had shorter sleeves, the fabric just bagged out around the elbows, etc. and I could tell they would never hold up (if I could even stand wearing them, which I didn't).

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »

Their quality went to hell several years ago.  When I was in grad school (2003-4) I bought four colors of the same long-sleeved T from them, and they were great.  Sleeves were long enough (always a problem for me with women's clothes) and they held their shape and wore really well.  Around 2010 or so, I went in and bought a couple long-sleeve shirts from them and they had shorter sleeves, the fabric just bagged out around the elbows, etc. and I could tell they would never hold up (if I could even stand wearing them, which I didn't).

Sometimes, it's just plain difficult to tell how something will wear.  Since it's always such a crap shoot, I get dead-set on paying as little as possible if I'm buying something new.  That way, if it turns out to be a dud, I don't feel so bad.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »

I have a wardrobe full of vintage clothing. Last week I went to a work night out wearing a skirt that my ex-husband accused me of buying in order to conceal assets and intending to return for a refund after our divorce was finalised; it's been almost 12 years since I got my Decree Absolute.

Your skirt is solid gold? :o

I have lots of old stuff. I buy what I like and then I wear it until it's worn out. I mend clothes when necessary.

I'm not sure what the oldest item is that I have, but I have a nice, tailored wool winter coat that I've had for at least 10 years. It was quite expensive back then (about €250) but it has definitely proven it's value. I have a pair of boots that I'm sure is that old as well, but sadly this will be their last winter. I've worn them so much they've become too wide, they're probably a size bigger now than when I bought them. My Eastpak backpack is about 15 years old, I already had it in high school. My clothes just don't seem to wear out ever. I buy a few new things every year, but the only items that really wear out relatively frequently are underwear and hosiery.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
I still wear a bunch of clothes that I acquired in college which was almost 30 years ago. Being able to fit in these clothes is part of my motivation to stay in shape.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
My mostworn piece of clothing is a fleece vest that is about 25 years old. I have a bunch of other vests that I have for years. Recently I ditched a pair of hiking trousers, sewn by MIL for 10 years ago or so. DH made me a new one from the same pattern. I am wearing the same winter coat for the 5th of 6th winter now. My goretex raincoat is also quite old now and still good for many years to go. I have some quality underware that kept well for 10 years.
But I did recently go trough my clothes and threw away a lot of clothes that I hadn't worn for years.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »

I have a wardrobe full of vintage clothing. Last week I went to a work night out wearing a skirt that my ex-husband accused me of buying in order to conceal assets and intending to return for a refund after our divorce was finalised; it's been almost 12 years since I got my Decree Absolute.

Your skirt is solid gold? :o

No, but my XH became very paranoid when he saw his meal ticket for life disappearing.

(It is a lovely skirt. I wore it to my XH's father's funeral a couple of years ago. He didn't show any sign of remembering the fuss he'd made when I bought it.)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
After I had my first child I did have to (weep) get rid of some old and perfectly broken-in jeans, that my new hips could no longer fit into. And put to the back of the closet some dresses only a tiny frame could fit into. But otherwise I still have a lot of clothes I regularly wear from before kids (14+ years ago). I get rid of things when they wear out or get stained, but it still makes me sad. I recently got rid of a skirt I've had since HS...  I think I must have gotten the majority of my underwear at the same time (VS, cotton panties 5 for 25 deal), because almost all of them are self-destructing, with thinness and holes. I don't really enjoy shopping for clothes.

One thing that is good, is that my oldest daughter can now shop in my closet for dresses. There have been a few occasions where she needed a new dress, and I didn't need to buy a new one because she found one she liked.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:33:40 AM by partgypsy »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2017, 12:31:02 AM »
I've got clothes that I wear older than many of the people on this forum.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »
For those of you who have a piece of clothing with a lovely pattern, but that is getting worn through, you might want to look into redesign.

For example:
Something like this is relatively easy to make:
http://www.pictaram.life/post/1654724590745781719_4468271634

I will try to make one as soon as we have a good piece of neutral cloth to go with the pattern of an old t-shirt.

I also have a blouse with a really nice pattern, but it is simply too small. I also want to change that blouse into something that fits, maybe a top. So I can keep wearing the pattern.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
I'm still wearing Quicksilver and Redsand shirts I bought in high school (1999), not to mention I still wear some of my Dad's hand me down flannels and vintage Lacoste shirts and sweaters that are probably late 70's and early 80's...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
One thing I do, is save pieces of clothing that have rips or holes, and make doll clothes and bedding. My youngest has a collection of Barbie type dolls and polly pockets. Many of them have custom "beds" (aka futons) bedding (blankets, pillows), and sleeping bags.   

JLE1990

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
I just wanted to comment on Old Navy, has anyone tried their clothes recently? I absolutely love old navy! Everything is medium-good quality and doesn't look ridiculous(Apparently deep V-necks is a thing for guys...why?). I bought a new pair of jeans there(gym gains) almost 2 years ago and they still look great! I have a ton of shirts and underwear from there as well.

As far as the mending, does anyone have suggestions on a type of sewing kit for newbies? I've gotten some clothes from those monthly boxes for a couple months to upgrade my fashion sense and they actually are starting to wear out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
I just wanted to comment on Old Navy, has anyone tried their clothes recently? I absolutely love old navy! Everything is medium-good quality and doesn't look ridiculous(Apparently deep V-necks is a thing for guys...why?). I bought a new pair of jeans there(gym gains) almost 2 years ago and they still look great! I have a ton of shirts and underwear from there as well.

As far as the mending, does anyone have suggestions on a type of sewing kit for newbies? I've gotten some clothes from those monthly boxes for a couple months to upgrade my fashion sense and they actually are starting to wear out.

Maybe it's a gendered thing? Because those pants I got that disintegrated in a month or two were bought less than a year ago. So maybe their women's durability sucks more than men's or something?

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
I have at least a couple dress shirts that are 35+ years old. Still some of my favorites and they were even KMart ones!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

I'm with you on this one.  I hate shopping and I mend stuff as much as I can.  Pants are a problem, even jeans, because they wear out on the inner thighs from the bike saddle (I bike a lot).  Once the material gets thin and starts to shred, there's not much I can do.
My favorite jeans are like this, and I keep googling, in vain, for a method to patch them.  I figure for now, people at work aren't going to notice???

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
Badass!
Frankly I don't understand replacing clothes for any reason other than being worn out. My kids and I wear out our clothes. DW has some fashion sense and rotates hers through the thrift store to a small extent. I don't understand it, but it makes her happy, and I do understand that :)
I have boys.

I get hand me downs.

But my boys are 6 years apart, and we were "one and done", so we don't necessarily have clothing to pass between kids.

A friend just offered me size 7 hand me downs from her son.  My little guy is 5, on the small side.  I said "yes!  I'm happy to store for a year or two."  She said "thanks!  The two charities I called wanted NEW or only SLIGHTLY USED". 

I mean, what a waste!  Maybe I'm a bad parent, but my 11 yo so loves his comfy clothing that he wears t shirts with holes (and will dig them out of the rag bin), and has ripped 2 pairs of gym shorts (that he still wears).  A lot of his shorts are stained, still wears them.  Just in the last 2 months, my favorite two pairs of his shorts (woven, nicer shorts) split in the butt.  Then I looked at the tag...they were size 7.  Well, duh.

I darned a sock this morning.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
I have a dress (I only own one) that I bought...9 years ago?  Maybe 10?

If you look at my FB memories from every single Christmas party (except the themes one, and the 2 years after having baby #2), you'll see it.  (Took 2.5 years till it fit again).  You'll also see the same shoes.  Which I don't like.  They hurt my feet.

This year was the year I decided to replace the shoes to go with that black dress.

But I waited.
Because I hate shopping.
And there was only going to be 1 party (my company didn't have one this year).
And then the big ass fire started.

The Friday night before the Saturday party, I finally relented.  Went to Sears.  Who shops at Sears?  People who hate to shop, because I know the choices will be limited.  As expected, there were only about 5 pairs of shoes that would work with a black dress, and only 2 in my size.  Neither were awesome in fit, so I picked one.  And the party was cancelled at 10 am the next day (due to the fire).

Yes, I am totally returning them.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
I have a dress (I only own one) that I bought...9 years ago?  Maybe 10?

If you look at my FB memories from every single Christmas party (except the themes one, and the 2 years after having baby #2), you'll see it.  (Took 2.5 years till it fit again).  You'll also see the same shoes.  Which I don't like.  They hurt my feet.

That's awesome! I have a black dress that's 8 years old and has been to almost every Christmas party during that time, and almost certainly every opera. I actually didn't even buy it for that, I bought it to dance tango in. It turned out to be perfect for both ballroom dance, opera, and formal parties, so yay!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »

My favorite jeans are like this, and I keep googling, in vain, for a method to patch them.  I figure for now, people at work aren't going to notice???

Inner thigh holes are almost impossible to patch. You can sew them back together (using iron on interfacing and lots of straight stitches, like you'd mend a hole) but generally the fabric is too thin and worn out for that. The only other option is to iron on a very large patch of fabric on the inside of the leg and then mend it, but it's hard to attach that fabric securely and very often it also irritates the skin.

I'm at home and feeling ill right now, so I'm wearing an old, warm red fleece sweater. It's actually a children's size sweater (but a fairly large one) that used to belong to my little brother when he was about 11 and I took it after he grew out of it. Little brother is 23 now... I'm also still wearing his old jeans jacket from that period. I was a very frugal 16 year old, rescuing all my little brother's old clothes.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »

Maybe it's a gendered thing? Because those pants I got that disintegrated in a month or two were bought less than a year ago. So maybe their women's durability sucks more than men's or something?

Last year for Christmas, my husband received two ON workout shirts that he has really liked. My SIL wanted a new one, so Guy and I figured we would just buy the same ones he has but in women's (SIL is very tiny - mens small would be a dress on her). When I picked up the shirt and held it up, Guy could see my face through it. Same brand, same design as the mens version, but he could see me through both layers. The mens version was completely opaque. UGH!

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
I have a couple of dresses that are at least 20 years old. I try to keep clothing as long as I can. I've even got these two old Eddie Bauer sweatshirts that literally have big holes in them, but I still wear them as "comfort clothes" around the house or when I'm getting my hair colored at home.

I try to buy things that are well made so that they will last.

Shoes are my biggest problem. I am in love with Skechers GoWalks, but they keep changing the style, and the ones I bought two years ago are wearing out in the back (I think it's called the shank?). There are only certain Skechers I find comfy, and now I don't want to wear "regular" shoes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!