Author Topic: Mega car downsize! $60,000 less for FIRE!  (Read 1767 times)

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Mega car downsize! $60,000 less for FIRE!
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
We finally hit the last nail in a 2 month saga of becoming a 1 car family(kinda) and being debt free.

What happened...

1. My wife got a new job downtown, which started all of this. We looked at parking costs, which racked up to NEARLY $300 A MONTH. To park a car? Jesus

2. We found out the bus going downtown, not only goes past our driveway, but also stops if anyone waves it down. The cost? $35 A MONTH (After her company throws in a $50 subsidy!) It now picks her up and drops her off at our house. WOW!

3. We paid off the last $14k I owed on a toy <- not very MMM but hey... (I use it mostly for fun events)

4. We sold BOTH, my commuter car AND her car.

5. We bought a VOLT, virtually eliminating our remaining gasoline use. The gas savings alone is >$100

The net....

We basically save around $200 a month (or MORE).

We now pay less insurance because one less car
Nearly no gasoline because Volt
...and a host of other hard-to-quantify costs, like, the volt has 100,000 LESS miles than my old car (45k vs 145k), the volt won't need certain repairs like brakes, oil changes are very rare ect ect.

Not to mention we are now consumer debt free. (Which isn't a massive deal other than physiologically) We have been neglecting adding to our 320k stache in the meantime, which I feel bad about but... BACK ON TRACK NOW!

This move basically drops our FIRE # by $60,000 (200*12*25) which cut our target date by 6 to 9 months.

Most of all, I am glad it's over, shopping for the right car, private selling two cars, paying off loans ect ect ect just eats up so much time! Worth it!

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mega car downsize! $60,000 less for FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
Congrats on the Volt and reducing expenses..

I've been driving one for about 1.5 years and love. Great car.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »
So, this will be your unchanging car/commute situation for the next 25 years?

Frankly, I doubt that.  But it is fun to apply a big multiplier to a modest budget adjustment

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
So, this will be your unchanging car/commute situation for the next 25 years?

Frankly, I doubt that.  But it is fun to apply a big multiplier to a modest budget adjustment

The obvious answer is "no"

However. . .
1. The Volt deal has a 100% payback period of around 3-4 years. (got 8k for our cars, volt cost 13k, saving around $100 a month on the low end)

2. It's unlikely my Wife will return to driving to work as FIRE is "only" 3-5 years away.

3. I do consulting myself, so my driving location is variable. However the Volt gets used for a lot more than commuting obviously, as our only car.

I guess you could argue that we simply overestimated our FIRE # in the first place. However, any way you look at it, this has been a massively positive move.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Congrats on the Volt and reducing expenses..

I've been driving one for about 1.5 years and love. Great car.

I have only had it for a few weeks now and I love it so far. I have managed to make the "38 mile" range cover my 42-44 mile commute entirely most days. Even when I do burn fuel it is so negligible that it is hard to even count.

As an added benefit, my last car was 22 to 25MPG (v6 ford fusion)- so even if the Volt NEVER drove on battery power it would be in my favor.