Author Topic: Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today  (Read 1824 times)

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »
I invested $5300 in VTSMX -

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0085&FundIntExt=INT

It makes me nervous, but I know this is the only way to go. I hope this isn't a terrible idea.

BriarRose111

• Stubble
Re: Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
Great job!  And your post made me realize I should research which fund to put my Roth contributions in.  Right now they are one of the Target Retirement Year funds.

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »
I was using a target retirement fund as well, but I wanted to convert the total stock market fund into an admiral shares. I will have accomplished that next year. I really should have put more money into this fund last year, but its never too late.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Technically, you've got another $200 until you're maxed :)

I'm just being a jerk.  Awesome milestone and congratulations!

FIPurpose

• Pencil Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
When I was in college I was contributing to my Roth IRA, but when I got my first job out of college, I switched to all traditional accounts. So even though now my Roth looks tiny compared to my tIRA, I've had my Roth in a single fund, VTSMX, for that entire time.

Once you've seen enough ups and downs of your own money, it becomes less scary and just part of everyday life.
My journey going from partial FI to Peace Corps to the final push to full FI:
Journal

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
Technically, you've got another $200 until you're maxed :)

I'm just being a jerk.  Awesome milestone and congratulations!

Thanks for the observation :) I contributed $200 last month :p Appreciate your encouragement.

When I was in college I was contributing to my Roth IRA, but when I got my first job out of college, I switched to all traditional accounts. So even though now my Roth looks tiny compared to my tIRA, I've had my Roth in a single fund, VTSMX, for that entire time.

Once you've seen enough ups and downs of your own money, it becomes less scary and just part of everyday life.

I see. I just need to learn to be less scared I guess. I mean, its not like I have a choice regarding this anyway, I will have to invest to grow wealth. I just hope it pays off at some point.