Author Topic: Mantaining style while being Mustchaian  (Read 7889 times)

neonlight

• Stubble
Mantaining style while being Mustchaian
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
Hi guys, a vanity thread here.

While proud of being thrift, I want to maintain style.

I don't need to drive fancy cars or dine at nouvo french restaurant. But for me having a trendy cut or a good khakis is a signature that I want to maintain. Granted it's not Prada, but rather a Michael Kors (proper) or Kanken (casual), so it's not all that expensive to start with but it might be contrary to Mustachian lifestyle when an equally functional item can be bought at half the price at Uniqlo or H&M.

I am 35 and still want to look cool and stylish, for myself and the suitors ;)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mantaining style while being Mustchaian
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
Are you asking for advice or just proclaiming that personal style is important to you, even on a budget?

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
Are you asking for advice or just proclaiming that personal style is important to you, even on a budget?

Sorry just thought maybe someone that has been through might share some wisdom.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
Neonlight, I hear you! There are plenty of ways to feel sexy on a budget. My Michael Kors  has all come from Goodwill / Salvation Army in NYC or London. The fabric, cut and drape of quality clothes can't be beat. Thrift-store shopping I find is best in capital cities where you've got a large demographic with various styles and incomes. Recently I picked up a Diane Von Furstenberg dress at a Salvation Army here in Hong Kong, think it came from Australia. Under US $10.

The garment industry is currently one of the world's greatest sources of pollution, so I'm happy to contribute as little as possible.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »
Ah! Just looking for clarification.

Fortunately, it is absolutely possible to look extremely cute and still be Mustachian. However, it takes more work and also more self-discipline than looking cute as an ordinary person. It also takes some self-acceptance, because there are infinity things to spend money on once you disappear through the wormhole of wanting to look cute. At a certain point you have to be willing to say, "This is what I look like, and this is good enough. I'm fine with what I see in the mirror" and then stop the quest for cute.

Case in point with ordinary people: a friend of mine went camping with me and my family/friend group last weekend. She looked gorgeous even during the early morning coffee. I looked at her curiously and asked..."are you wearing false eyelashes?" Yes, she said; they are semi-permanent and she got them done for a very reasonable price: only $80!

Nope nope nope.

You're gonna need to do some research and be willing to practice a lot of DIY-ing.

Hair: how can you self-color it? I asked my stylist for a tutorial and she obliged. I color my hair from a $4 box every two months, based on her instructions. Very cute.

I don't self-cut, but I did purposely research a style that requires little maintenance because it grows out nicely. Two haircuts a year. I pay quite a bit ($90 including tip) but she does a great job and always teaches me something when I go.

I make a lot of hair-care products myself, and did a lot of research on styling. I have a very nice flat iron and that's it, because it's the most versatile tool. Blow dryers are unnecessary: just wash your hair at night and let it air dry.

Clothes: Have you heard of capsule wardrobes? They are awesome. Google it. Do some research and take some time to figure out what looks good on your body. Then go to discount places like Ross and TJ Maxx, or mall clothing stores (Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic are my favorites) and haunt their clearance racks. Be very self-disciplined: no impulse buys. You're putting together uniforms. Never buy anything unless you absolutely love it. You're going to wear it hundreds of times, so it better be awesome.

And then stick to it. Set it and forget it. The bare minimum of quality pieces you need to have something different to wear to work for two weeks. Maybe buy a fun, cheap accessory every now and then to keep things fresh.

Honestly, people say you should buy high quality clothes if you're going to have this attitude (the capsule wardrobe thing) but most of my work clothes come from Ross/TJ Maxx, and I'm pretty sure their clothes are mostly made specifically for discount stores. In other words, a Calvin Klein dress from TJ Maxx is not going to be as high quality as a Calvin Klein dress from Nordstrom. I did a bunch of research and I've also noticed from my own shopping that the Ross/TJ Maxx products are of lesser quality. But I line dry my work clothes and still manage to get years of high volume wear out of them.

Oh! Also with clothes, if you have a good social network, it's super fun to do swaps. I do these a couple of times/year with my girlfriends and it's awesome.

I never bother with thrift stores because I find I can generally score new clothes for only a little more money if I only shop sales and the aforementioned Ross/TJ Maxx. But I'm in Hawaii and thrift stores out here just don't have great deals (maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance). I'm also a big Ebay-er if I want something super specific. Or I suck it up and buy a knock-off.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:04:38 AM »
Get thee to the consignment stores. Much cheaper than retail, your money stays local, and you keep stuff from ending up in a landfill. My favorite consignment store will definitely give you fashion advice and tips.

Goodwill is another favorite.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
I know people who can look stylish in rags and other people who invest a great deal of time and money in their appearance and still miss the mark.

If wearing a brand of clothing that fits you well and feels comfortable makes you pull your standard of personal grooming up to match the clothes, hold yourself tall, and approach other people with an air of self-assurance, I believe it's something worth spending money on. Spending more and more on smaller and smaller details in the hope that the next set of false eyelashes or piece of jewelry or cosmetic surgery intervention will give you the sense of style that you're looking for is an indication that the money might be spent on some therapy.

I've always been happy to remain invisible to the sort of person who likes to see their women primped and preened and painted.

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Sorry just thought maybe someone that has been through might share some wisdom.

Samples sales. Helps to live in NYC.

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
Also you can travel to Europe, pay in US dollars given the somewhat favorable exchange rate currently using a no foreign transaction fee card, and then get the VAT returned to you at the airport. If you're planning to make any big ticket purchases it might actually pay for your flight, and you get to take a vacation too!

My wife did this for her Louis Vuitton bag on one trip, and Bottega Veneta wallet a couple years later. And, before you all roll your eyes, she is super frugal about most everything, and she agonized over these purchases before pulling the trigger. They were budgeted for and she gives up a lot of things in order to afford them, even though we are high earners.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
I've always been happy to remain invisible to the sort of person who likes to see their women primped and preened and painted.

Well said ... amen.  Same here.

On another note:  Health and fitness - what's under the clothes - is the most worthwhile fashion investment of all, and it costs nothing except for time.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Ah! Just looking for clarification.

Fortunately, it is absolutely possible to look extremely cute and still be Mustachian. However, it takes more work and also more self-discipline than looking cute as an ordinary person. It also takes some self-acceptance, because there are infinity things to spend money on once you disappear through the wormhole of wanting to look cute. At a certain point you have to be willing to say, "This is what I look like, and this is good enough. I'm fine with what I see in the mirror" and then stop the quest for cute.

Case in point with ordinary people: a friend of mine went camping with me and my family/friend group last weekend. She looked gorgeous even during the early morning coffee. I looked at her curiously and asked..."are you wearing false eyelashes?" Yes, she said; they are semi-permanent and she got them done for a very reasonable price: only $80!

Nope nope nope.

You're gonna need to do some research and be willing to practice a lot of DIY-ing.

Hair: how can you self-color it? I asked my stylist for a tutorial and she obliged. I color my hair from a $4 box every two months, based on her instructions. Very cute.

I don't self-cut, but I did purposely research a style that requires little maintenance because it grows out nicely. Two haircuts a year. I pay quite a bit ($90 including tip) but she does a great job and always teaches me something when I go.

I make a lot of hair-care products myself, and did a lot of research on styling. I have a very nice flat iron and that's it, because it's the most versatile tool. Blow dryers are unnecessary: just wash your hair at night and let it air dry.

Clothes: Have you heard of capsule wardrobes? They are awesome. Google it. Do some research and take some time to figure out what looks good on your body. Then go to discount places like Ross and TJ Maxx, or mall clothing stores (Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic are my favorites) and haunt their clearance racks. Be very self-disciplined: no impulse buys. You're putting together uniforms. Never buy anything unless you absolutely love it. You're going to wear it hundreds of times, so it better be awesome.

And then stick to it. Set it and forget it. The bare minimum of quality pieces you need to have something different to wear to work for two weeks. Maybe buy a fun, cheap accessory every now and then to keep things fresh.

Honestly, people say you should buy high quality clothes if you're going to have this attitude (the capsule wardrobe thing) but most of my work clothes come from Ross/TJ Maxx, and I'm pretty sure their clothes are mostly made specifically for discount stores. In other words, a Calvin Klein dress from TJ Maxx is not going to be as high quality as a Calvin Klein dress from Nordstrom. I did a bunch of research and I've also noticed from my own shopping that the Ross/TJ Maxx products are of lesser quality. But I line dry my work clothes and still manage to get years of high volume wear out of them.

Oh! Also with clothes, if you have a good social network, it's super fun to do swaps. I do these a couple of times/year with my girlfriends and it's awesome.

I never bother with thrift stores because I find I can generally score new clothes for only a little more money if I only shop sales and the aforementioned Ross/TJ Maxx. But I'm in Hawaii and thrift stores out here just don't have great deals (maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance). I'm also a big Ebay-er if I want something super specific. Or I suck it up and buy a knock-off.

Thanks! Ross/TJ Maxx is not here in where I live yet, I try to go for Uniqlo for my work clothes, some of their wears are pretty good quality and comparable to Nordstrom.  As I age my wardrobe tends to become more capsule rather than opposite, I suspect many of us are too! I go for all-season, or even all-event style. Work allows me to wear skinny jeans and a t-shirt. Due to my mobile nature, the goal is to make my wardrobe my travel luggage lol. Maybe a big travel luggage but definitely possible, that way when I move around after FIRE, my wardrobe goes with me ;)

Do you think after adopting MMM we can still be as sexy? :)

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »

Well said ... amen.  Same here.

On another note:  Health and fitness - what's under the clothes - is the most worthwhile fashion investment of all, and it costs nothing except for time.

Yes, that's the best deal :)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »

Do you think after adopting MMM we can still be as sexy? :)

Yes! Cheapness and miserliness for their own sake are deeply unsexy, but knowing what matters to you and having confidence in your spending and lifestyle decisions, keeping yourself in good shape, and being the sort of person who wants to do their little bit to make the world they live in a better place are no less sexy than spending a fortune on clothes and preening.

FruGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Hi Neonlight,

I was a personal grooming coach and I used to tell my students that we should only be as vain as we can afford to be. I assure you that you can still look super stylish without having to spend a fortune! Being frugal doesn't mean we have to look cheap or sloppy. You can a prudent fashionista! :)

Set aside an annual budget that you think is reasonable and keep to it. Only buy timeless pieces that you absolutely love and see yourself wearing for a long time. Make sure what you buy can go with many existing items in your wardrobe. Always shop with a purpose and do not ever buy on impulse. Look at tons of pics online and get some inspiration first. I hardly buy stuff these days, but when I see something I really like and it's within my humble budget, I will buy without guilt.

To cut cost on the looks department, keep a low maintenance (yet stylish) hairdo. Go to an affordable salon for haircuts and learn to colour your own hair. Revlon ColorSilk is cheap and good. Trust me; I'm also a trained hairstylist. As for skincare and makeup (I'm also a certified makeup artist), use drugstore brands. Remember: it's the not brand but how you apply and blend the colours!

Hope the above helps. Stay frugally gorgeous! :)

FruGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Oh, if you travel, replenish your skincare, etc. at duty shops. I'm Asian and I swear by Korean skincare and makeup. Very affordable and excellent quality! Makeup really doesn't have to cost much. Nice clothes too!

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 03:03:20 AM »
Hi Neonlight,

I was a personal grooming coach and I used to tell my students that we should only be as vain as we can afford to be. I assure you that you can still look super stylish without having to spend a fortune! Being frugal doesn't mean we have to look cheap or sloppy. You can a prudent fashionista! :)

Set aside an annual budget that you think is reasonable and keep to it. Only buy timeless pieces that you absolutely love and see yourself wearing for a long time. Make sure what you buy can go with many existing items in your wardrobe. Always shop with a purpose and do not ever buy on impulse. Look at tons of pics online and get some inspiration first. I hardly buy stuff these days, but when I see something I really like and it's within my humble budget, I will buy without guilt.

To cut cost on the looks department, keep a low maintenance (yet stylish) hairdo. Go to an affordable salon for haircuts and learn to colour your own hair. Revlon ColorSilk is cheap and good. Trust me; I'm also a trained hairstylist. As for skincare and makeup (I'm also a certified makeup artist), use drugstore brands. Remember: it's the not brand but how you apply and blend the colours!

Hope the above helps. Stay frugally gorgeous! :)

As a professional, can you say that things that are pricey usually translate to better quality. For example earphones, if you don't use the top notch, you won't notice how the mediocre ones are really mediocre. Is the analogy somehow true for fashions too? I can't really tell the difference between H&M/Zara from Gucci, but i can certainly tell Cotsco/Tesco from H&M/Zara. So does people that are Gucci-kind realize the difference that we don't. It's a vanity thread, hope you don't mind me asking vain questions :)

I am Asian too, and yes Korean skincare is usually pretty pretty good :)

FruGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Your question on whether price equates with quality:

Well, a Louis Vuitton bag is definitely different from a high-street brand in terms of quality and workmanship. The same, however, does not always apply to clothes. Seriously, a Uniqlo tee is just as durable and wearable as a Ralph Lauren. The difference, if any, is so slight that nobody can tell. In this case, you're basically paying for the brand or rather, the conspicuous logo.

The focus here should be VALUE. Even if you can totally afford it, you have to make a judgement and ask yourself if a costly designer bag is worth the amount of money. Only you can answer this question because everybody has different needs and wants. What's important to you might not be to others.

I'm all for purchasing quality items that last forever, but as mentioned, high price doesn't necessarily mean better quality. I also think most people splurge on expensive stuff simply for the brand and not because they know shit about quality. Such excessive display of wealth is unnecessary and tacky (the irony of it), to say the least.

I was a marketing manager before making a total career switch 10 years ago (I'm currently working as a teacher. Took the hairstyling and make-up courses out of interest - so fun!). Back then, I wasn't financially prudent and spent a lot of money on the looks department, spending almost every single cent on clothes. Everything I wore must be well-coordinated and I felt proud to be known as the office fashion guru (*roll eyes*). Thankfully, I wised up. Ended the buying frenzy, gave away a bunch of stuff (including designer handbags that were just collecting dust) and the rest is history. Quitting my stupid job certainly helped. No more stress and unhappiness, so can't justify the 'guerrilla' shopping anymore. :) Am I still vain now? Yes, of course. LOL! BUT I look good with a lot A LOT less. When I want to buy something now, I really look at its value. I don't settle for second best; if can't find the right one at the right price, I just live without it. And I've realized that I can live without many things. :)

Not sure if this helps. Have a nice day! :)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »

I use ebay extensively for gently used high quality items for ultra-cheap.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
I have to second the comments about staying fit. Fitness and good health as we age is the #1 way to stay cute and sexy in my opinion. My DH could care less about what I'm wearing but if I'm in good shape he definitely notices. #2 in my opinion is cultivating a strong self-esteem. I've found that getting fit and strong led to #2 for me. I felt empowered and learned to accept myself for the way I am. I learned to stop thinking I needed to have blonde hair to be attractive or wear make-up to be presentable. Or to buy the latest trends.

It's the ladies in my area who have to doll themselves up excessively or spend gobs of money on Jimmy Choo shoes that have not reached #1 and #2. Once you get there it is liberating. And then you find suitors who share your same values ;) The most important of all!

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
I hear you. I'm 31, and I need to look absolutely professional and trustworthy for work.
Besides that, the day is just better if my hair is well taken care of, my makeup is where it should be, my clothes are matching and somewhat chic :)

Here's what is working for me, maybe you can take inspiration: I figured out where I could save and am very disciplined about it. Such as: I color and cut my hair at home, I do peelings and masks and manicures at home and buy brand clothing second-hand online or at a really good sale (just got a maxi dress for 10€ at a clearance sale  *yay*). I only wear real jewellery, no bling bling stuff, that I inherited or was gifted (think: a pearl necklace and pearl earrings) and that are classics. My father also has quite the talent to find very reasonably priced second hand jewellery for his daughters :-)
It makes you look much more sophisticated.
What I don't save on, is makeup. I find cheap makeup just doesn't do the job (yellow cheap concealer...), I have to apply double as much, it's bad for my skin and the colors don't look right. I have minimal makeup: concealer, powder, neutral eye shadow and mascara, but all of it is made of high quality brands and lasts me for about 6 months. I have some good lipsticks, too, that I wear on special occasions.

It's absolutely possible to look chic on a budget, if you analyze where you're spending and find ways to cut it.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
I think there are several ways to do this. I love clothes and I have been sewing for years so I make a lot of things for myself. That way I look nice and have a useful hobby. I have recently started making shirts for my husband, too. I can also use this skill to alter thrift store clothing.

I think the first step in getting good wardrobe for less money is actually to first weed out what you already have. I did the Marie Kondo method in my own closet and it was very liberating. I got rid of so many things I didn't actually like on me and when my wardrobe was whittled down to things I actually liked I found myself putting together much more interesting outfits.

Like a lot of folks around here, I shop thrift stores but I've gotten a lot more particular over the years and now I only go to stores with dressing rooms and I try on everything to make sure I like it. A $2 sweater is still a $2 waste if you never wear it. Clothing exchange parties with your friends are a fun way to get rid of things you just aren't wearing.

A couple of websites I like are thredup.com and 6pm.com. Thredup is an clothing reseller and they are particular about what they will put on their site so nothing damaged gets on there. Plus they have good pictures. They would also be a good place to resell your old clothes if you have nice stuff in good shape. Get on their email list because they have sales sometimes. 6pm is the discount site for Zappos and I have gotten lots of good deals on shoes. Personally I have a much harder time finding shoes in thrift stores. There have been some good scores over the years but not nearly as many as the other clothing scores.

Another thing I do is pick out all my outfits for the week over the weekend. I pull out each outfit and put it on a hanger with the accessories I am going to wear. A lot of people ask me how I can do this because "how are you going to know what you want to wear?" Well, I know I like to wear pants 2-3 times per week and skirts and dresses the rest of the time and I check the weather report to see if I need to consider any special conditions. Also as I mentioned above, I got rid the clothes I wasn't that crazy about so I pretty much always feel good about what I put on.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44:48 AM »
I have to second the comments about staying fit. Fitness and good health as we age is the #1 way to stay cute and sexy in my opinion. My DH could care less about what I'm wearing but if I'm in good shape he definitely notices. #2 in my opinion is cultivating a strong self-esteem. I've found that getting fit and strong led to #2 for me. I felt empowered and learned to accept myself for the way I am. I learned to stop thinking I needed to have blonde hair to be attractive or wear make-up to be presentable. Or to buy the latest trends.

It's the ladies in my area who have to doll themselves up excessively or spend gobs of money on Jimmy Choo shoes that have not reached #1 and #2. Once you get there it is liberating. And then you find suitors who share your same values ;) The most important of all!

Thirded. I'll take a strong fit body any day. Exercise, watch your diet, wear sunscreen and keep your hair and nails clean, that's about my level of effort.  Ladies at work go to such effort on their hair, makeup, nails, jewellery, accessories, while pumping their bodies full of crap. I heard the expression 'painted pigs' once, and it runs through my mind when I see these perfectly coiffed women who go to incredible effort to try and look so perfect on the surface without looking after the stuff inside. We are all gonna be wrinkly at 80, hopefully I'll still be able to run and dance!!!

Syd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 02:56:56 AM »
FruGirl gave awesome advices : only buy things that you can wear in various outfits according to clothes you already have, only buy things that last in time...

In France we have style forums with guides on how to never pay the highest prices for your clothes. Maybe you can find the same kind of guides on US websites. Basically : spot a clothe then wait for the special sales to buy it, learn to negociate, try it in store and then look if you can buy it cheaper online, learn how to get invited to private sales...

Note: style forums are loaded with people selling their clothes, and as the people here are very stylish, the clothes are too!
They're also loaded with advices on the good quality brands and products that last for years and never get out of style.

Now I'll share a personnal experience regarding shoes.
I used to buy Converse, Nike... all those "hype" sneakers that everybody has. It turns out that even the most expensive ones only last 6 months before they break somewhere, the colors fade out, etc.

I bought a pair of Common Project white sneakers for 315€. It's more than twice the price of the most expensives Nikes.
I also bought 20€ of product to clean them and nurturish the leather and 20€ of "shoes trees".
This makes 355€ or 417$ for one pair of shoes!
Too fucking expensive right?
Wrong! I have them for 4 years now, they're still the most stylish shoes I have, they still look very good after I clean them (it takes 10 minutes once a week), they fit in every outfit.
417$ / 4 years = 104$ a year and they're still going on.
In France a good looking Nike pair is worth 200$ and as I said earlier, will be out of style 6 months later due to poor quality and unwearable another 6 months later.

Buying good quality clothes and learning to take care of them really is the way to go in my opinion.

@neonlight : price doesn't always equal quality, some brands are clearly overpriced. The good way to go is brands with a good quality/price ratio, where the quality is the same as the big brands (gucci, prada...) but you don't pay for the marketing.
But yes, you feel the difference between a high quality product and an h&m shirt. You can try as much expensive clothes as you want, trying is free. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:59:09 AM by Syd »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
It's a challenge for me, but I like it! I sew and make a lot of my own clothes. I also don't mind buying second hand.

I've never been able to find those thrift stores you hear people about where you buy designer stuff for €10. I do like to buy online, I prefer our local alternative to Craigslist. For jeans, I prefer Levi's. I know exactly which fit I need to buy and they last for a long time. I recently bought a pair for €25 that was completely new. The previous owner had bought it a size too small, as 'motivation' to lose weight. This is apparantly a pretty common thing for women to do.

I generally buy shoes new, but like the previous poster I buy good quality shoes and boots and they last me for years. I take them to the cobbler's to have them repaired when they start to wear out. I am currently wearing a pair of cowboy boots that I've owned for 10 years. They had a price tag of €300, but I ended up buying them for about €50. I've had the soles fixed 3 times for about €10 each. I do polish them every now and then like you're supposed to.

I ask a friend to cut my hair, she's good at it. I pay her back by doing stuff for her. I don't dye my hair. There's nothing wrong with the colour I have naturally, I'm not going grey yet (although I'm not planning to dye when I do go grey, I can understand why people do that). 

All in all the most important thing is to have very few clothes. A lot less than most women have. I have two pairs of day-to-day shoes, a pair of sandals, two pairs of heels ( I only wear them to parties) a pair of running shoes and a pair of snow boots. I have my work Eastpak, my private Eastpak and two fancy expensive bags that I've had for years and years. I have one spring-and-autumn coat and one winter coat. I don't buy multiples of things unless I really need them - rest assured, I have several pairs of underwear, t-shirts and socks. I don't, however, have an entire drawer of lingerie or socks, but enough to last me about 2 weeks. I only buy items I truly love, which I guess is the opposite of a capsule wardrobe. I hate all this black, grey and beige that I see other people wearing. I buy only what I love and I wear them until they are completely worn out.

As for make-up: I try to wear that as little as possible. I don't wear foundation, but instead a cheap BB-cream. I try to buy natural cosmetics. Only my mascara is expensive, because my eyes burn from other brands, but I don't wear that every day. I go for a natural look.

MrsFinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
A couple of websites I like are thredup.com and 6pm.com. Thredup is an clothing reseller and they are particular about what they will put on their site so nothing damaged gets on there. Plus they have good pictures. They would also be a good place to resell your old clothes if you have nice stuff in good shape. Get on their email list because they have sales sometimes. 6pm is the discount site for Zappos and I have gotten lots of good deals on shoes. Personally I have a much harder time finding shoes in thrift stores. There have been some good scores over the years but not nearly as many as the other clothing scores.

I am a huge fan of thredup.com. I have bought and sold clothing on their site, and have found they are easy to work with on both sides. Also, it makes searching for something specific extremely easy which takes the exhaustion of thumbing through racks out of the equation.