Author Topic: Made it to 100K$! - Thanks to you all  (Read 3476 times)

max9505672

• Bristles
Made it to 100K$! - Thanks to you all
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
Yeah! Finally made it, 100K$ of networth! :)

This post isn't about bragging or anything like this. It's simply, I think, a great milestone to achieve and I am very happy to have finally made it! Looking forward to write this post was actually a great motivation for me!

It's not something I discuss or share with anybody in my entourage either. It's some kind of taboo for where I come from/live to talk about money and make money. People from this community are basically the only ones that understand the lifestyle I chose (FIRE), and therefore the only ones I can share this with.

I remember a couple years ago saying to some friends how cool it would be to have a 100K$ networth by 30 years old. I also remember how those friends gave me ''the look'' when I said it haha. I finally made it by 27 3/4 y.o. and plan on being closer to 200K$ by 30 y.o. :)

Finally, I also wanted to thank the people from this community. Honestly, by far, the best online community I have ever been a part of. I've learned so much since I joined last January and that's mostly thanks to the help I got from people here. I want to dedicate (for what's it's worth), almost 35% of that achievement (and a lot more in the future) to you all!

Thanks everybody and keep on being so badass!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:21:49 PM by max9505672 »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Made if to 100K$! - Thanks to you all
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
Just wait till you see your countdown timer to FIRE keep going down, down down.

Before I found this forum, I was planning on 25 in the military for the pension... (16 years) now I've been able to cut it to 8 for full FIRE, or 4 years if I choose a 6 day a month job :D

The amount of time saved is crazy.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thanks for sharing your big celebration with us!!!!!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Congrats! What kind of income and expenses did you have to get there?

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
I started working full time in September 2016 at around 60K$/year (+ couple side gigs (around 5K$)) and save around 60% of net income (+100% of side gigs).

I've had the chance to work as an intern during university too while living with my parents at pretty much 0 expense for most of the time (was pretty frugal even before finding MMM). Began my full time working life with around 70K$ invested, but was 26 y.o.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
Damn Max! That's impressive.

Started up on the right foot, that's for sure. Planning on increasing SR, or happy with your time-frame and just banking most of the salary increases?

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
Damn Max! That's impressive.

Started up on the right foot, that's for sure. Planning on increasing SR, or happy with your time-frame and just banking most of the salary increases?
Thanks man!

I expect increase in income in the future and increased SR short term. Will probably increase expense in the future though (girlfriend, kids, home, etc.).

For now, I stack.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
You'd be suprised. Unless it's a stay at home/studen gf, it might simply go up!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
Time to join this thread!  Congrats!

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:57:13 AM »
Time to join this thread!  Congrats!
Thanks for the reference!

Though, I find it a little discouraging to compare myself to other people on this thread. My net growth rate isn't as impressive as most people here mostly because I live is a highly taxed country and province (Quebec, Canada). My take home pay is greatly lower than most Americans.

Fortunately, my FIRE networth objective should also be lower than most Americans.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
I started working full time in September 2016 at around 60K$/year (+ couple side gigs (around 5K$)) and save around 60% of net income (+100% of side gigs).

I've had the chance to work as an intern during university too while living with my parents at pretty much 0 expense for most of the time (was pretty frugal even before finding MMM). Began my full time working life with around 70K$ invested, but was 26 y.o.

Well Done!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Max remember that there are a lot of different people, including some that make more then 100k-200k. Obviously you can't compare to that. But it's more to see it yourself, and realize how fast you are going up, and start being able to plan out exactly when you'll have enough.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
Max remember that there are a lot of different people, including some that make more then 100k-200k. Obviously you can't compare to that. But it's more to see it yourself, and realize how fast you are going up, and start being able to plan out exactly when you'll have enough.
Absolutely! That's  why I don't enter of follow that 100k$ to 200k$.

I concentrate on doing the best I can in my situation. I also keep a daily updated spreadsheet of my networth, so I know exactly how my networth is growing.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
I concentrate on doing the best I can in my situation. I also keep a daily updated spreadsheet of my networth, so I know exactly how my networth is growing.

Ahh the folly of youth. Soon enough you'll grow up and graduate to weekly :) Save that extra precious time for other activities.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
Congrats!   It's the second hardest milestone.  (The first is getting back to $0 from big debt!)

At this point your money starts to make real money for you.   Woot!

It's so nice to hear someone positive about their future and that of others.

I spent some time this weekend arguing with folks who think that rich people can only be rich if they are born to rich people or exploit people.   Doesn't matter how many real-life examples of real people I showed them, it just wasn't possible.   It was maddening.

So keep up the good work, and keep with the positive energy!

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
I want to dedicate (for what's it's worth), almost 35% of that achievement (and a lot more in the future) to you all!

Awesome! Will you be sending us checks, or wiring the money? Ha ha ...

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »

Ahh the folly of youth. Soon enough you'll grow up and graduate to weekly :) Save that extra precious time for other activities.
Haha! Honestly, it takes less than 5 minutes, it’s part of my daily work routine (so 5 days/week) and I enjoy doing it.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
So keep up the good work, and keep with the positive energy!
Thanks for the encouragements:)

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
I want to dedicate (for what's it's worth), almost 35% of that achievement (and a lot more in the future) to you all!

Awesome! Will you be sending us checks, or wiring the money? Ha ha ...
Haha!

I intend to pay back by being active and giving back to this community and new members!