Author Topic: Longest owned continuously used item in your home?  (Read 31242 times)

AJDZee

• Bristles
Re: Longest owned continuously used item in your home?
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2023, 11:31:32 AM »
I use a food scale my grandma brought over from Germany in the 40s

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2023, 08:29:29 PM »
When I was young and poor, in 1995, I got a microwave oven.  It was a "floor model", with a big scratch across the top, so I got a nice discount on it. 

Still here.  It has outlasted two dishwashers, two garbage disposals, three toaster ovens, two range tops, a regular oven, and and bread maker.

A few months ago, one of the door switches malfunctioned and had to be replaced.  Guess it's good for another 25 years now.

I have a microwave from circa 1994, which I bought at a garage sale in 1998. I know it's from 1994 because it has a sticker on it dated that year saying it was inspected for leaking radiation. I guess that was a thing back then? Anyway, it kept blowing its fuse (probably the reason it was being sold at a garage sale to begin with), so I used a higher amperage fuse and it's been working flawlessly ever since then. I don't think I've even replaced the door switch. It was our home microwave for at least a decade, and when we moved to a house with a built-in microwave, I took it to work and I use it daily in my office to warm my lunch up. I can't remember what I paid for it but I doubt it was more than $10.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2023, 08:36:39 PM »
My mother bought a set of sleek, Scandinavian style wooden wall-mounted cabinets and shelving for apartment using her first paycheck. This would have been the early 1950s. When she got married and left Germany for the US, she gave the cabinets to my grandfather, who installed them in his study. When he died, the family had them shipped to my mother in the US, where she installed them on a wall by the dining room and used them as a sideboard. When she moved to an independent living apartment, she got rid of most of her furniture but kept those cabinets and had them mounted in her living room. When she moved to an assisted living facility near me, I got rid of the rest of her furniture but kept the cabinets, which are now in my study, waiting to be mounted on the wall when I get a free minute.

For all that use and shipping, the cabinets are in remarkably good condition. I'm hoping my daughter will want them at some point.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2023, 10:06:38 AM »
When I was young and poor, in 1995, I got a microwave oven.  It was a "floor model", with a big scratch across the top, so I got a nice discount on it. 

Still here.  It has outlasted two dishwashers, two garbage disposals, three toaster ovens, two range tops, a regular oven, and and bread maker.

A few months ago, one of the door switches malfunctioned and had to be replaced.  Guess it's good for another 25 years now.

I have a microwave from circa 1994, which I bought at a garage sale in 1998. I know it's from 1994 because it has a sticker on it dated that year saying it was inspected for leaking radiation. I guess that was a thing back then? Anyway, it kept blowing its fuse (probably the reason it was being sold at a garage sale to begin with), so I used a higher amperage fuse and it's been working flawlessly ever since then. I don't think I've even replaced the door switch. It was our home microwave for at least a decade, and when we moved to a house with a built-in microwave, I took it to work and I use it daily in my office to warm my lunch up. I can't remember what I paid for it but I doubt it was more than $10.
Not all radiation is nuclear radiation (the bad stuff).  Everything from radio waves to sunlight to wifi to microwaves is radiation of one type or other.  Your microwave (as all microwaves do) uses electromagnetic radiation  to heat the food.  It's shielded to prevent that radiation from getting out, because A) escaping energy doesn't heat the food you put in the microwave, and B) that escaping radiation will try to heat other water-containing things in the vicinity, like humans, and C) it'd wreak havoc on your wifi

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:19 AM »
Can't remember if I posted this or not:

50+ year old electric lawn tractor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kP4g57Ycw
30+ year old lawn tractor: Cub Cadet 1440
20 year old Brenderup 1205S

LOTS of old things around our house. Buy quality and use it for a lifetime with a bit of maintenance from time to time.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2023, 10:48:46 AM »
I just thought of one today. I found an aluminum shovel on the side of the road in the late 90's. It had a small crack in it, but seemed to work fine so I used it for a while and then left it with my father who used it for years while I lived in warmer climates. When I moved back to AK he gave it back to me and I'm still using it this winter. I've been thinking of learning to weld aluminum. Maybe that old crack is the perfect excuse.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2023, 06:38:17 PM »

Not all radiation is nuclear radiation (the bad stuff).  Everything from radio waves to sunlight to wifi to microwaves is radiation of one type or other.  Your microwave (as all microwaves do) uses electromagnetic radiation  to heat the food.  It's shielded to prevent that radiation from getting out, because A) escaping energy doesn't heat the food you put in the microwave, and B) that escaping radiation will try to heat other water-containing things in the vicinity, like humans, and C) it'd wreak havoc on your wifi

Right, I know all that - what surprised me was that someone was worried enough about radiation leakage from the microwave to have it tested. I didn't realize this was something people were concerned about as most of us just take it for granted that microwaves are safe. Perhaps because there aren't that many reports of injuries from using microwaves.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2023, 09:23:16 PM »

Right, I know all that - what surprised me was that someone was worried enough about radiation leakage from the microwave to have it tested. I didn't realize this was something people were concerned about as most of us just take it for granted that microwaves are safe. Perhaps because there aren't that many reports of injuries from using microwaves.

Microwaves use a faraday cage to block radiation from leaking.  They're pretty fool-proof - it's effectively just a conductive metal box.  Radiation hits the box and is grounded out.  Unless there has been significant physical damage to the microwave itself (a rip in the metal box), it's hard to imagine how a faraday cage could fail.  They won't ever wear out with normal use.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2023, 05:23:06 PM »
A joke:

Q.  What do you find on tiny beaches?
A.  Micro waves. 

Microwaves use a faraday cage to block radiation from leaking.  They're pretty fool-proof - it's effectively just a conductive metal box.  Radiation hits the box and is grounded out.  Unless there has been significant physical damage to the microwave itself (a rip in the metal box), it's hard to imagine how a faraday cage could fail.  They won't ever wear out with normal use.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2023, 07:46:08 PM »
A joke:

Q.  What do you find on tiny beaches?
A.  Micro waves. 

Q. What do you take from a joke about tiny waves?
A. Microwave offense.

StPatrick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2023, 09:06:52 AM »
I get made fun of quite a bit for my 9 year old Mr. Coffee pot that cost $12.

I drink coffee everyday. My house is pretty new, so it throws people off. It's a good FIRE conversation starter and has led to some mentorship.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2023, 01:08:12 PM »
I get made fun of quite a bit for my 9 year old Mr. Coffee pot that cost $12.

I drink coffee everyday. My house is pretty new, so it throws people off. It's a good FIRE conversation starter and has led to some mentorship.

Lol! Good job, @StPatrick!

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2023, 05:47:14 PM »
My snowblower is at least 30 years old.  I have had it for 23 years and I picked it up at a yard sale for 50 bucks. Still works fine and starts on one pull every year. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2023, 05:24:01 AM »
Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless-Aluminum-Stanless cookware set, followed by 15 year old custom foam matress.

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2023, 08:14:04 AM »
I have a pair of sweatshorts that I've been using daily since I bought them in 2009! 14 years of daily use!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2023, 02:02:01 PM »
I have a pair of sweatshorts that I've been using daily since I bought them in 2009! 14 years of daily use!

How many washes?  :P

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2023, 04:16:08 AM »
We were married in 1990.  Back then we were truly Mustachioed.   I've still got her, which is a good thing.   We have a few pots that we still use today.  I've got a few hand tools from that era as well.  Our washing machine is also from 1990 and likely the best representative of how things were built back in the day.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2023, 10:32:56 PM »
A TWA airlines ice hammer.  Nothing breaks up frozen vegetables or frozen shredded cheese better than this (without breaking the bag).  It has some kind of magic technology from the 70's.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2023, 02:00:23 PM »
A TWA airlines ice hammer.  Nothing breaks up frozen vegetables or frozen shredded cheese better than this (without breaking the bag).  It has some kind of magic technology from the 70's.

I love this! Perfect!

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2023, 10:06:51 AM »
I have a ski hat (beanie) and balaclava I bought in 1991, and still haven't figured out why to replace them.

I have a Patagonia fleece jacket and North Face sleeping bag I bought in 1992.  Once, while orienting a new colleague, she said, "I'm not as young as you think I am," and after she volunteered her age, I said, "this jacket I wore here today is a few years older than you!"  I don't get to wear it as much anymore, as my daughters are always using it.

We use our Zojirushi rice cooker every week; I bought it in 1993.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »
I have a magic tea/coffee pot. It's the kind that keeps the beverage warm after you brew it and has a spout for easy pouring. I found it at a thrift shop years ago and use it constantly. I'd had it a long time before I noticed it has "US Air" stamped on the bottom. It out-survived an entire airline.