Author Topic: Living by the Beach for ~$750/month TOTAL  (Read 15290 times)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Living by the Beach for ~$750/month TOTAL
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 02:16:50 AM »
I haven't looked for official sources but there are youtube videos about that, like this one
https://youtu.be/aHjqHiFgayQ

Coincidentally I just ran into a video about it this morning on facebook. Crap! One of my dreams was to still do a 3 month trip through the full country north to south.

I find it kinda annoying that the video keeps talking about 'expats' though cause these folks aren't actual expats. You can still totally get a decent work visa/student visa and stay in the country.

Also Cambodia and Phillipines don't have 90 day visas to start with so I don't really get why this guy keeps focusing on how Vietnam's new rules will just make all folks go to these countries instead?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »
Sounds like an awesome time Phillip! Makes sense you're blowing off or at least postponing going to Hanoi. Although latest numbers I've seen said 15 of the 16 cases in Vietnam have been recovered schools are still closed (up to next week for sure, reopening in  March is still unsure) so you would be able to travel but not find a job for teaching.

Australia is one wonderful place too - I did my first visit last year and am longing to go back!
I just read that Italy just locked down 10 small towns due to 2 deaths from Corona virus. Not sure of the details but some parts of Europe may end up being effected by this too.

ETA glad you are enjoying your self Phillip and that its is working out.

Yup, Corona's spreading fast in a small area of northern Italy now. And as Europe's borders are completely open things may spread through countries fast, although we also have better healthcare systems than most SE-Asian countries ofcourse.

I actually have a trip planned to Malaysia with a stop in Zurich next month and I'm getting more worried about the Zurich part getting canceled than the Malaysia part getting canceled :p. I also find it concerning that Indonesia still pretends to be Corona-free by simply not testing anyone. However, I have lots of contacts in all these countries and many just state things along the lines of 'Yeah we've got worse things to worry about than a new flu virus with a 2% death rate'. To be honest I can only agree with them. The forecast of not being able to work for several weeks is worse than a mild sickness that mostly kills the elderly to them.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
Do you have a source for that? I cannot find anything about it online.

Although I'd be sad to see the 3 month visa go, I can only agree with tightening up their rules around visa runs a bit. I mean, it's basically abused by Western bums who work in the country illegally (note: have been one of them and love the lifestyle, but it's still illegal and I have yet to meet the first person staying 3+ months just for the tourism). I found it pretty illuminating to be an 'illegal' immigrant  (as in, staying legally, working illegally) and how we considered it as the most normal thing in the world to just reenter a country every 3 months (or 2, in the case of Thailand) while we get all worked up about (illegal) immigrants coming into our own countries to look for work.

When you say working illegally, do you mean actually getting a Vietnamese job, or remote work for employers or customers outside Vietnam?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:32:41 AM by dougules »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2020, 10:56:28 PM »
Do you have a source for that? I cannot find anything about it online.

Although I'd be sad to see the 3 month visa go, I can only agree with tightening up their rules around visa runs a bit. I mean, it's basically abused by Western bums who work in the country illegally (note: have been one of them and love the lifestyle, but it's still illegal and I have yet to meet the first person staying 3+ months just for the tourism). I found it pretty illuminating to be an 'illegal' immigrant  (as in, staying legally, working illegally) and how we considered it as the most normal thing in the world to just reenter a country every 3 months (or 2, in the case of Thailand) while we get all worked up about (illegal) immigrants coming into our own countries to look for work.

When you say working illegally, do you mean actually getting a Vietnamese job, or remote work for employers or customers outside Vietnam?

Getting an actual job in Vietnam (usually teaching English).

You can get work visas for these jobs, but many people don't get these.

jerrylundergard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 01:16:23 AM »
Great job Philip!

My first recomendation is you really try to gain fluency in Spanish. Get flashcards and get your vocab up and go hard AF to get good. Secondly, you are young and you can spend this time preparing for whatever it is you want to do when you get back to the states. Study subjects or learn skills online that will help you make $$$ when you get home.

I did something very similar to you and it worked out way better than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams, no shit! I started in 2000 in Copacabana posto 5 living on about 750 bucks a month as well sharing an apartment with a buddy of mine. Did that for almost 4 years and got fluent in portuguese and it made learning spanish simple. So when I moved to Argentina was able to pick up spanish no problem.

I funded my trips by taking university classes online so I really only came back for fall semester every year. I was able to conquer Algebra and science on my on time from the comfort of my Brasilian bungalo and that allowed me to easily complete the nursing pre-reqs that have afforded me the lifestyle I have now.

Seeing the world gives you a big advantage in life, IMO. Plus, on your deathbed, you wont have fond memories about all the boring ass days you slaved away saving for FIRE but you will think back thankfully about your adventures you had as a young lad!

Anyhow, best of luck.

BTW, I will most likely be heading to Jaco in the fall with my wife for a little vacay.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
@Phillip If you ever get the urge to head back to Europe, you might want to check out Georgia (the country) and, maybe, Albania. Both are digital nomad friendly, offering Americans 365 day stays without a visa. Friends who have been living and working remotely from Georgia for the past year and a half report that cost of living is similar to what they spent living in Chiang Mai, Thailand, so pretty cheap, and it's Europe. Other friends report a similarly inexpensive and good quality of life in Albania, where Americans can also stay for an entire year without a visa...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:30:36 AM by Shane »

24forMore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
It's a bit unbelievable that I found this thread as we are on opposite ends of the spectrum...I was thinking about Costa Rice today and I looked up Jaco a week ago.

I turned 25 last week. (25forMore) I have a fantastic job that I appreciate more than ever right now. I am a related service staff in a school district. I start a bit higher up than a teacher, and I live at home. I work 9 months a year with a 55k starting salary (could surplus through the summer). I'm living at home so I'm really saving and trying to frontload heavy for my 40+ year investing journey. I'm getting to work and contribute my entire paycheck into a Bear Market. This is all good. Currently have put 15k into the down market and more is marching in.
Also, I'm on a 60 day duolinguo streak and have been dreaming of spending the summer in Jaco living in a hostel - learning Spanish, trying out spearfishing, surfing, and some cultural dancing. It felt exhilarating just typing that last sentence. F**k me.

I maxed out my Roth for 2019 & 2020 (on March 23rd which is the current low but I wasn't timing). I am currently dollar cost averaging 4k/month into a 457(b) plan right now. I also put 5k into a brokerage account on the 23rd. All allocated in broad index funds. I feel great at the moment. I don't get the crazy awesome lifestyle you have right now, but I do get a golden opportunity at a head start towards true financial freedom.

The trade off is that you get to do your adventure year round, while I have to wait until June, July, and August. But I might get a way better head start on FIRE and my investments. You're living a life that I stop and ponder if I'm missing out on. At least we both have a plan that we're following, that makes all the difference.

But... I think I have a good grasp on what I want. I like the hope, and long term potential of my current contributions. The delayed gratification. I like the simple, long-term plan and the intensity in frontloading heavy. It's hard to say if I'd like to trade places with you. I wouldn't be mad that's for sure. Truthfully, I think I would continue on my path and build consistently each year. I do (and will continue) to envy you throughout the day. I hope you can turn your freelance gig into a 50k+ a year machine and show me up. I thought I'd share my perspective and situation, as I enjoyed reading yours. Still Jealous. F**k me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:14:18 PM by 24forMore »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!