Author Topic: Living by the Beach for ~$750/month TOTAL  (Read 10976 times)

malacca

• Stubble
Re: Living by the Beach for ~$750/month TOTAL
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2019, 03:46:12 PM »
Well, Phillip, I have done what you are doing.

First, hats off for going out and doing the extra-ordinary. Few people do.

But there are some things in life that you have to keep in mind.

Becoming a Bum - This is what happens to expats hanging out in a foreign country. Well, you don't look or feel like a bum when you are abroad - but you will when you return. You will look and act differently and you won't even know it. People will look at you and think something is wrong with you as they expect you to be a certain way (eye twitches, language usage, etc.) It can take many years to readjust to your native land.

Savings - Although a small percentage of expats stay abroad forever, most return at some point. But if you return at a later date you will need substantial savings / assets.

Starting A Career too Late - Some industries are age oriented. Try getting into Silicon Valley at 40 years old.

Relationships - I ended up marrying quite late and now am an older dad. When I was young and abroad I never felt the pressure of parents or seeing all of my friends start families. Luckily I had a small fortune so money wasn't an issue. When you are young you meet based on how you look. Once you hit 30 things change.

I spent most of my post college life abroad. Sometimes by the beach in a hut - but I also and a serious careers and made serious dough (and banked most of it). The one day I realized I had enough $$. So I moved to on...

What I recommend is never staying out of the country for more than two years at one go (the bum thing). Come back and work for a while, bank some cash and then move on. Maybe 2 years in, two years out. And don't spend the cash you bank - that is for your (absolutely unknown) future.

Ironically, I was looking for tickets to Costa Rico earlier today. One family we know decided to be like us and travel around the world. They are on a 4 year trip around the world (two school aged kids in tow). They are in Rico now.

We just returned from two years in Malaysia and Taiwan (remember the two year rule!). It is cold here. I hadn't worn pants much less a jacket for 2 years. So I am eager to thaw out somewhere.

Phillip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
@Phillip sounds great! Spending a year or so in Saigon around your age (I did it when I was 23/24) is perfect :). I just checked my old spreadsheets and I have to crawl back as I spent $430/month on average. I thought is was closer to $400 but my spreadsheet is in euros and back then the exchange rate was more favorable for the euro (350 is $390 now but not back then...). As I said that includes a lot of gas/bike repairs and a lot of fluff like coffees and beers (I was there again this year so my price levels are up to date). My boyfriend's even cheaper than me (home cooking fitboy style, little alcohol, less coffees) and he spends around $300-350/month. If you wanna take a bit of a margin for things like traveling around a bit just assume you'll spend around $500 and you'll be good for 6 months on your $3k.

I know some places where you can get a job easily that pays around $16/hr and offers 4h workslots on the weekends. They're not the most well paid ones (I had other jobs paying $20-25) but they're always looking for people, have many locations all around and you can start immediately. As a native speaker you'll even have more options than I had :).

By the time you're headed that way just shoot me a PM and I'm happy to share you all I know.

I wanted to thank you for your help. I decided to tour around Europe with a friend I met while trekking in Peru who retired early (youngest roofing contractor in Arizona!). We met up with all of the people in Eastern Europe that we met on our travels, and then I scheduled a flight to LA to see some family before taking off for Vietnam.

But I planned on staying in Hanoi and, with a major quarantine of 10k around that area, I've decided to save it for another day.

Ended up making enough money freelancing, though, even if I'm not super fired up about my job (which is weird bc it's everything I've ever wanted). At this point I'm either gonna go to Australia or get a "real job."

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time Phillip! Makes sense you're blowing off or at least postponing going to Hanoi. Although latest numbers I've seen said 15 of the 16 cases in Vietnam have been recovered schools are still closed (up to next week for sure, reopening in  March is still unsure) so you would be able to travel but not find a job for teaching.

Australia is one wonderful place too - I did my first visit last year and am longing to go back!

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
Vietnam is tightening its visa requirements starting from July this year. Long-term tourists on tourist visas will have to do border runs (exit and then enter the country) every month. It sucks, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
Do you have a source for that? I cannot find anything about it online.

Although I'd be sad to see the 3 month visa go, I can only agree with tightening up their rules around visa runs a bit. I mean, it's basically abused by Western bums who work in the country illegally (note: have been one of them and love the lifestyle, but it's still illegal and I have yet to meet the first person staying 3+ months just for the tourism). I found it pretty illuminating to be an 'illegal' immigrant  (as in, staying legally, working illegally) and how we considered it as the most normal thing in the world to just reenter a country every 3 months (or 2, in the case of Thailand) while we get all worked up about (illegal) immigrants coming into our own countries to look for work.

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
I haven't looked for official sources but there are youtube videos about that, like this one
https://youtu.be/aHjqHiFgayQ

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time Phillip! Makes sense you're blowing off or at least postponing going to Hanoi. Although latest numbers I've seen said 15 of the 16 cases in Vietnam have been recovered schools are still closed (up to next week for sure, reopening in  March is still unsure) so you would be able to travel but not find a job for teaching.

Australia is one wonderful place too - I did my first visit last year and am longing to go back!
I just read that Italy just locked down 10 small towns due to 2 deaths from Corona virus. Not sure of the details but some parts of Europe may end up being effected by this too.

ETA glad you are enjoying your self Phillip and that its is working out.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2020, 02:16:50 AM »
I haven't looked for official sources but there are youtube videos about that, like this one
https://youtu.be/aHjqHiFgayQ

Coincidentally I just ran into a video about it this morning on facebook. Crap! One of my dreams was to still do a 3 month trip through the full country north to south.

I find it kinda annoying that the video keeps talking about 'expats' though cause these folks aren't actual expats. You can still totally get a decent work visa/student visa and stay in the country.

Also Cambodia and Phillipines don't have 90 day visas to start with so I don't really get why this guy keeps focusing on how Vietnam's new rules will just make all folks go to these countries instead?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »

I just read that Italy just locked down 10 small towns due to 2 deaths from Corona virus. Not sure of the details but some parts of Europe may end up being effected by this too.

ETA glad you are enjoying your self Phillip and that its is working out.

Yup, Corona's spreading fast in a small area of northern Italy now. And as Europe's borders are completely open things may spread through countries fast, although we also have better healthcare systems than most SE-Asian countries ofcourse.

I actually have a trip planned to Malaysia with a stop in Zurich next month and I'm getting more worried about the Zurich part getting canceled than the Malaysia part getting canceled :p. I also find it concerning that Indonesia still pretends to be Corona-free by simply not testing anyone. However, I have lots of contacts in all these countries and many just state things along the lines of 'Yeah we've got worse things to worry about than a new flu virus with a 2% death rate'. To be honest I can only agree with them. The forecast of not being able to work for several weeks is worse than a mild sickness that mostly kills the elderly to them.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »
^I agree. I'd be more afraid of some kind of quarantine lockdown situation if travelling in Asia (or maybe elsewhere) then I would of a virus. I can see how that alone could impact way more people negatively. I have a trip planned to Europe in April with a 2 month Eurail Pass plus a couple of months on either end and maybe south thru Africa. However I MAY decide to put it off until mid August to see how things pan out there.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »

Although I'd be sad to see the 3 month visa go, I can only agree with tightening up their rules around visa runs a bit. I mean, it's basically abused by Western bums who work in the country illegally (note: have been one of them and love the lifestyle, but it's still illegal and I have yet to meet the first person staying 3+ months just for the tourism). I found it pretty illuminating to be an 'illegal' immigrant  (as in, staying legally, working illegally) and how we considered it as the most normal thing in the world to just reenter a country every 3 months (or 2, in the case of Thailand) while we get all worked up about (illegal) immigrants coming into our own countries to look for work.

When you say working illegally, do you mean actually getting a Vietnamese job, or remote work for employers or customers outside Vietnam?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:32:41 AM by dougules »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2020, 10:56:28 PM »

When you say working illegally, do you mean actually getting a Vietnamese job, or remote work for employers or customers outside Vietnam?

Getting an actual job in Vietnam (usually teaching English).

You can get work visas for these jobs, but many people don't get these.

jerrylundergard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2020, 01:16:23 AM »
Great job Philip!

My first recomendation is you really try to gain fluency in Spanish. Get flashcards and get your vocab up and go hard AF to get good. Secondly, you are young and you can spend this time preparing for whatever it is you want to do when you get back to the states. Study subjects or learn skills online that will help you make $$$ when you get home.

I did something very similar to you and it worked out way better than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams, no shit! I started in 2000 in Copacabana posto 5 living on about 750 bucks a month as well sharing an apartment with a buddy of mine. Did that for almost 4 years and got fluent in portuguese and it made learning spanish simple. So when I moved to Argentina was able to pick up spanish no problem.

I funded my trips by taking university classes online so I really only came back for fall semester every year. I was able to conquer Algebra and science on my on time from the comfort of my Brasilian bungalo and that allowed me to easily complete the nursing pre-reqs that have afforded me the lifestyle I have now.

Seeing the world gives you a big advantage in life, IMO. Plus, on your deathbed, you wont have fond memories about all the boring ass days you slaved away saving for FIRE but you will think back thankfully about your adventures you had as a young lad!

Anyhow, best of luck.

BTW, I will most likely be heading to Jaco in the fall with my wife for a little vacay.

Shane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
@Phillip If you ever get the urge to head back to Europe, you might want to check out Georgia (the country) and, maybe, Albania. Both are digital nomad friendly, offering Americans 365 day stays without a visa. Friends who have been living and working remotely from Georgia for the past year and a half report that cost of living is similar to what they spent living in Chiang Mai, Thailand, so pretty cheap, and it's Europe. Other friends report a similarly inexpensive and good quality of life in Albania, where Americans can also stay for an entire year without a visa...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:30:36 AM by Shane »