Author Topic: Kitchen Sink Plumbing issue - no problem  (Read 1900 times)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
Kitchen Sink Plumbing issue - no problem
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
So yesterday morning, I decided it was time to use the tomatoes we picked during the week and makes some pasta sauce.  SO filled the sink and cleaned up the counters to get started.  When releasing the water from the sink when I was done, my wife heard a dripping sound. So I cleaned up the bottom of the sink and told her to run some water so I could see where it was leaking from.

It turns out it was leaking from the nut that tightens the drain to the drain tail pipe.  So I went out to the garage and grabbed some tools.  I got back in and moved the pliers to the nut, in order to tighten it.  When I put them up beside the drain, the pipe broke off in two. The Drain was rotted through.  Now I have never done anything like this before, so my wife calls the plumber.  She gets a quote back of $400 to do the drain on one side of  the sink plus part, because its Sunday.  So I say maybe not. 

Now to make a long story short, I took the old drain out, and learnt how it worked.  I then went down to Rona, and bought a new drain, plus a new drain for the other side.  I thought if one was rotten we may as well change both.  I also bought a piece of tail pipe, as recommended by the staff an Rona.

I went home and pieced it all together.  Total cost $22.63.  Took me about 20 minutes on the first one, and maybe 10 on the second, because I had learnt what not to do.

For a savings of $400.  That works out to one hell of an hourly rate.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Kitchen Sink Plumbing issue - no problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
Well done! yes those plumbers love those calls they really smack it to the peeps that cant do anything themselves. Now a days too you can find how to fix most anything online.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
Well done! yes those plumbers love those calls they really smack it to the peeps that cant do anything themselves. Now a days too you can find how to fix most anything online.

Literally 100% of our plumbing skills we've learned via youtube. We've now repaired multiple drains, replaced faucets, repiped under sinks, fixed leaking handles, replaced shower valve cartridges, on and on. It's amazing what you can learn online!

Well done dycker! (And good on your wife trusting you to DIY- I know I was hesitant the first few times DH wanted to try something new I was afraid he would break! Haha).

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »

Literally 100% of our plumbing skills we've learned via youtube. We've now repaired multiple drains, replaced faucets, repiped under sinks, fixed leaking handles, replaced shower valve cartridges, on and on. It's amazing what you can learn online!

Well done dycker! (And good on your wife trusting you to DIY- I know I was hesitant the first few times DH wanted to try something new I was afraid he would break! Haha).

I will use sudo trusted me haha.  She has looked under the sink about 45 times since I did the repair. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement from both of you.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »

I will use sudo trusted me haha.  She has looked under the sink about 45 times since I did the repair. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement from both of you.

There are STILL paper towels under the valves under the guest bathroom sink so I can see easily if it leaks ;) I trust him, that doesn't mean I don't check up on it to be sure!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
If you are changing old thin chromed metal sink drain parts for similar plastic pieces, there is a great tip that has eliminated most minor drips I encounter.  The "nuts" on the plastic stuff are designed to be tightened by hand.  Once you get everything correctly assembled and hand tight, start running hot water through the drain. After a few minutes the plastic will be very warm. Now have another go at hand tightening everything.  You can typically get another 1/2 turn, or more on the nuts, and no more drips at joints. 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
If you are changing old thin chromed metal sink drain parts for similar plastic pieces, there is a great tip that has eliminated most minor drips I encounter.  The "nuts" on the plastic stuff are designed to be tightened by hand.  Once you get everything correctly assembled and hand tight, start running hot water through the drain. After a few minutes the plastic will be very warm. Now have another go at hand tightening everything.  You can typically get another 1/2 turn, or more on the nuts, and no more drips at joints.

Awesome advice!! Thanks

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »

Awesome advice!! Thanks

Glad you liked it. Now, let's move on to the next level. You tried everything, and the thin plastic stuff under the sink, or tub, is still leaking. Step one, take everything apart and check the pipe for "molding flash", This is the crap leftover after they cast the piece and don't properly scrape all the thin plastic off. The stuff that squished out of the mold, and left little plastic fins on the seams. Carefully scrape the flash off with a utility knife and reassemble. This often cures the drip. Finally, if nothing works, and you still have a drip at a nut, take it apart and pack the threads on the nut with Plumber's putty. This stuff is basically plumber's Play-Dough, which is available in small quantities where you bought the other parts. Just lightly smear it inside the threads and reassemble everything. Going Gorilla on any of these joints with big pliers or wrench rarely solves anything BTW, and can break the plastic.

That's the nuclear grade trio of stop leak techniques. If that doesn't do it, don't call me, since it always worked for me. The reason a lot of this can sometimes be really frustrating is not because you suck at plumbing repairs. No, it because the companies that make most of this stuff build shit, in third world factories, where cost is nearly all that matters. It's not uncommon to find really poor quality parts, in that bag of sink drain parts you grabbed of the shelf, at the big box store. In the end everything needs to be leak free and removable for service, so glue on parts that are not meant for glue, and using caulk to make a drip stop, are not acceptable. If it won't stay drip free, save the receipt and take it back for a new one. Good luck.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
Thus far, every leak in my house has required full on replacement plus some.

Bathroom sink dripping - it's really badly corroded, time for a new one.
Bathroom sink drain then decided that it just couldn't cope with being disturbed, and dripped and needed to be replaced from the wall out.
Utility sink water line broke - new lines, and then new drain cause the old one cracked.

The bathroom tub faucet is dripping. I'm terrified to touch that one.

Old houses are fun.