Author Topic: Just scored a Vitamix on Craigslist  (Read 12471 times)

felizcortez

• Stubble
Just scored a Vitamix on Craigslist
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
I just bought a Vitamix 5200 on craigslist this morning.  It's 1.5 years old and I got it for $180.  I figure even if I don't like it, I can sell it for a profit since they seem to go for over 250 on ebay.

I look at it as though I'm basically renting the blender for free.

math-ya

• Stubble
Re: Just scored a Vitamix on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
I guess that's something. I have 2 blenders. One is about 70 years old and has one speed. The other one is newer with like 10 speeds. I got each of them for free. They both work. A blender is a blender. Sell it while others still perceive it as valuable

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Nice deal! I got mine as a refurb for ~$300… it's my favorite thing I own. I'm obsessed.

felizcortez

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
Nice deal! I got mine as a refurb for ~$300… it's my favorite thing I own. I'm obsessed.

I was thinking about going the refurb route, but after tax it becomes significantly more expensive.  The seller wanted $220 originally.  I offered $170 since it was a bit of a drive to get to where he was and he countered with $180 which I accepted.  Still a great deal.

I was also looking at the blendtec because their refurbished blenders are slighly less expensive than the vitamix.  However, craigslist came through again.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »
Picked mine up at the neighborhood yard sale last weekend. The lady had a sticker price of $20, ended up talking her down to $15. Had no idea how valuable they were just knew vitamix was the best of the best for blenders. The one I ended up getting is called the barboss, makes awesome margaritas.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
I guess that's something. I have 2 blenders. One is about 70 years old and has one speed. The other one is newer with like 10 speeds. I got each of them for free. They both work. A blender is a blender. Sell it while others still perceive it as valuable

Respectfully, that's like saying a toyota tacoma is the same as a ford f350 because they're both pickups. Holds true until you're towing a 10,000 lb trailer. ;)

Of course not everyone needs a 2-3 horsepower blender (WTF!) but if you make smoothies with ice and other tough stuff (carrots, etc..) every day, nut butters regularly, make your own flours (almond meal FTW) one of these devices can be very worth it. Especially at the price scored by the OP.

felizcortez

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
Picked mine up at the neighborhood yard sale last weekend. The lady had a sticker price of $20, ended up talking her down to $15. Had no idea how valuable they were just knew vitamix was the best of the best for blenders. The one I ended up getting is called the barboss, makes awesome margaritas.

That's a crazy deal.  I'll give you $30 for it :)  Double your money

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

Respectfully, that's like saying a toyota tacoma is the same as a ford f350 because they're both pickups. Holds true until you're towing a 10,000 lb trailer. ;)

Of course not everyone needs a 2-3 horsepower blender (WTF!) but if you make smoothies with ice and other tough stuff (carrots, etc..) every day, nut butters regularly, make your own flours (almond meal FTW) one of these devices can be very worth it. Especially at the price scored by the OP.

I agree with Big Slacker.. I used to have a Ninja and I couldn't get greens in smoothies to liquify (tiny green chunks in your smoothie) and I would also try to make cream out of cashews/water and with the Ninja it would be grainy, I'd have to strain it for the cream and it would leave a lot of waste. The Vitamix completely liquifies it. It's an incredible machine!

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:25:33 PM »

I agree with Big Slacker.. I used to have a Ninja and I couldn't get greens in smoothies to liquify (tiny green chunks in your smoothie) and I would also try to make cream out of cashews/water and with the Ninja it would be grainy, I'd have to strain it for the cream and it would leave a lot of waste. The Vitamix completely liquifies it. It's an incredible machine!

+1  The Vitamix is one badass machine

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
Wow, congrats OP and Kaplin261. Enjoy!

+1 on a blender is not a blender.

When I got a Vitamix it made me realize why they are prized. One is able to do things in that blender that are simply not possible with machines that have less power. It is one of my favorite tools in the kitchen. I love that thing.

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »

That's not what a blender is for. Nuts should go in a food processor. If your blender can't liquefy greens, your blender is worthless. I guess if you guys want this in place of a food processor and blender I can understand. But there is a lot that a processor can do that even the  best blender cannot.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
They are different tools. I have both a Cuisinart and a Vitamix.

And I would say that a high power blender is a very different tool than a lower power blender. There are things that you can do in the high powered blender that you could never do with the low power blender.

If you want great smoothies and velvety soups, a high powered blender is going to be difficult to beat.

If you don't want smoothies or if a soup with a velvety mouthfeel doesn't excite you, then a lower power blender or stick blender will likely fit the bill just fine.

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »

That's not what a blender is for. Nuts should go in a food processor. If your blender can't liquefy greens, your blender is worthless. I guess if you guys want this in place of a food processor and blender I can understand. But there is a lot that a processor can do that even the  best blender cannot.

Nuts should not go in a food processor if I'm making them into a liquid cream (think heavy cream consistency.) Food processor is for solids, blender for liquids… which is what I make in the blender. If I make nut butter, I put it in the food processor. 

felizcortez

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
After making a few things in the blender yesterday and today, I must say I'm impressed.  This thing is a beast.  My wife was initially skeptical, but she has enjoyed everything that has come out of it.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »

After making a few things in the blender yesterday and today, I must say I'm impressed.  This thing is a beast.  My wife was initially skeptical, but she has enjoyed everything that has come out of it.

Excellent. Glad to hear. After owning mine for seven years, I'm still impressed with what it is able to do.

It is definitely a beast.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 01:01:45 AM »

You could probably put most other blenders in my BlendTec and it would blend them. :P

+1 to everyone else - a quality blender is a much different beast than the $30 WalMart blenders.

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »
If my Vitamix (a gift!) broke today I would not hesitate to buy a new one tomorrow. Wait, never mind, they have incredible costumer service and would most likely replace it!!!

My kids are allergic to peanuts so we make sunflower butter in it. SOOOO incredibly cheap compared to buying it from the store. Probably one of my top ten "things" that I own.

surfhb

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
IT CHANGED MY LIFE!     

My digestion issues are no more after drinking my green smoothies daily.   Its about the the most MMM thing i can think of :)

(Kale, strawberries, mango, tangerine & banana)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:25:10 PM by surfhb »

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
Ah man I am jealous! I have been monitoring Kijiji (Canada's craiglist) for 6 plus months for a vitamix. They are very few and fair between and if they are on there people are asking too much: $400 +++

felizcortez

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
IT CHANGED MY LIFE!     

My digestion issues are no more after drinking my green smoothies daily.   Its about the the most MMM thing i can think of :)

(Kale, strawberries, mango, tangerine & banana)

I've been trying out the green smoothies for the last few days.  The wife is enjoying them too which is always a plus.

Overall have been happy with the purchase as we are plowing through some serious produce.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Greens smoothies are the gateway drug to veggie consumption for kids. :)

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
I got mine on CL too. Much older (7 years?) but $100. Talked to a vitamix demo person at Costco one day...she was doing a lovely black bean soup demo and threw in some tortilla chips and pulsed it at the end. Our old model has no pulse button and I asked how she would handle it. She answered my question and then told me that I had better figure it out, that mine would last forever and I would likely never have an excuse to buy a new one!

The week after we got ours we found one for $80. Bought it for my mom because it was such a smoking deal! Thankfully, she loves it and I haven't had to regret the purchase!

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 10:23:13 PM »
You can save a lot of money if you need gravel just by collecting rocks and then tossing them in the vitamix

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:51 AM »

You can save a lot of money if you need gravel just by collecting rocks and then tossing them in the vitamix

LOL

TammieNicosia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 05:42:42 AM »
You can score a lot of good things on Craigslist, but one clever Brooklyn woman proved that. It's a certified reconditioned Vitamix 5200 series http://www.thejuzz.com/Blender/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:16:07 AM by TammieNicosia »

Sabria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 12:31:43 AM »

doneby35

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
You should check out cleanblend. I owned a ninja and a vitamix 5200, and now a cleanblend, which is a lesser known brand, but just as good as vitamix.
Ninja doesn't even come close to vitamix and cleanblend. The difference between vitamix and cleanblend is that vitamix is $400+, cleanblend is $180 for similar performance and 5 year full warranty.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
Costco had them on sale. I passed it about three different times while the circular was running. I agree they sound great, but I just don't think I need one.

However,  I just rescued some overbaked gingerbread cookies and some old biscotti by making two batches of cookie butter. I ground the hard as rocks cookies in my food processor, but even with a new (free replacement) blade, it didn't really pulverize the cookies the way they are in commercial cookie butters. BTW, cookie butter is easy, cheap and makes great holiday gifts.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 11:16:22 AM »
A blender "changed your life"?

Seriously?

Man, I don't belong here anymore.  This keeping up with the Jonses consumerist bullshit has eaten MMM just like it has eaten every other forum in the internet.

When I start a blog with a forum, anyone who brags about some overpriced random shit they bought is getting an automatic three day ban.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
A blender "changed your life"?

Seriously?

Man, I don't belong here anymore.  This keeping up with the Jonses consumerist bullshit has eaten MMM just like it has eaten every other forum in the internet.

When I start a blog with a forum, anyone who brags about some overpriced random shit they bought is getting an automatic three day ban.

I'm sure that inactive user is totally going to see your response to their 3 year old post.. :P