Author Topic: Just hit the $1m mark in our investments and hubs still wants to keep working...  (Read 6250 times)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
The greedy, stubborn big lug!  It's a good thing he's so cute. 

I am SOOO ready to pull the trigger, but he wants to keep working to secure that lousy (tiny, ridiculous) pension in FOUR MORE YEARS.  ugh!

Anyway, super excited about hitting the $1m mark and coupled with my DH's military retirement, we are financially ready to retire.  We just need to get over the mental blocks and conservative thinking.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
Congrats! Maybe pull the plug yourself and entice DH to join you in all the fun things you'll be doing with your time?

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
super jelly!

yeah, I second what Liberty Stache said: can you quit and start the FIRE life now and just let him work for four more years?

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Well, for fear of sounding a bit hypocritical, I'm working a sweet gig that will last at least 2 more years.  It's fun and allowing me to invest $100k just on this income.  I also want to pay off my car that I just bought.  So, I'm working 2 more years but I want him to see the light and quit at the same time. 

I'm chipping away at the rock....  He's starting to dream.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
In light of this new info, I'd gently suggest you don't worry about it. Lots of us have a both FI, only one RE situation. It's important for each partner to retire when they are ready. Go when you want to and let him do the same. I predict he will come around in good time. RE can be a relief for some and a huge source of stressful anticipation, if not downright fear, for others.

Congrats on the two commas!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Yea, I'm not really worried about it.  He jokes about not working a single day after I retire to "show" me.  hahaha. 

It's just a running joke.  He lights up when thinking about the next million dollars, but I light up thinking about never working again. 

Dreaming is one thing, when the rubber hits the road is when you find out what you really want and I'm still a little ways out from actually doing something.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Yea, I'm not really worried about it...
It's just a running joke.
So you're not actually seeking advice? Please consider moving this to one of the many Celebrations threads.

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
Congrats!!
My DH has 4 more years of active duty to hit 20 for his retirement (same as you, if i read it correctly)

We are only about a quarter of the way there (to a mil) so congrats to you guys!! But my dh's pension should be "big" not tiny. So hopefully that'll offset our tiny stache!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Congrats!!
My DH has 4 more years of active duty to hit 20 for his retirement (same as you, if i read it correctly)

We are only about a quarter of the way there (to a mil) so congrats to you guys!! But my dh's pension should be "big" not tiny. So hopefully that'll offset our tiny stache!

oh my DH is already retired military and gets his pension.  This pension would be from 10 years civil service.  His military retirement is great.  We could live off of just that for sure. 

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Yea, I'm not really worried about it...
It's just a running joke.
So you're not actually seeking advice? Please consider moving this to one of the many Celebrations threads.

uhhh...  sure, I can move it.  Right now it's in Share Your Badassity and I didn't think that was an advice thread.  Where do you think it would fit better? 

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
I think Dicey just jelly...

Giro

• Pencil Stache
This is pretty much the only place most of us can brag about our accomplishments.  It's not like we can call up our debt-ridden friends and exclaim that we hit a million bucks from living frugally.  We all know how that goes.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This is pretty much the only place most of us can brag about our accomplishments.  It's not like we can call up our debt-ridden friends and exclaim that we hit a million bucks from living frugally.  We all know how that goes.
Not only that, they will come after you begging for money (not everyone of course, but there's always one in the family who has theirs ears wide open when they hear someone has money).

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Congrats on the first $1M.  Do you have any kids?  College ain't cheap (I have one there right now)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Congratulations on your success.  Thank you for the service and sacrifice your family invested for all of us.   Having the choice to do what you want is so satisfying.  Peace and love to you all.  Yes you can brag and boast a little with us.  Let it out.  You've earned the right.  It's not something you talk about on Facebook or all your friends even.  The wealth of people here on MMM not just in dollars, but in their understanding and helpful information is incredible.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Congratulations on your success.  Thank you for the service and sacrifice your family invested for all of us.   Having the choice to do what you want is so satisfying.  Peace and love to you all.  Yes you can brag and boast a little with us.  Let it out.  You've earned the right.  It's not something you talk about on Facebook or all your friends even.  The wealth of people here on MMM not just in dollars, but in their understanding and helpful information is incredible.

Thank you so much.  We do have an 11 year old that we need to get through college.  I think there's enough in her 529 to at least give her a decent start.  I'm not about traditional university "experiences" with the expensive room and board fees, food, etc.  She will have enough for 4 years of tuition.  If she wants to do 2 years community college or the high school transitional program where you can get the first 2 years done as a junior and senior and then do 2 years living on campus at an in-state school, that would work.  I will know more one she is a little older and I see what her strengths and weaknesses are in academics.  If she can't at least get some scholarship money, she probably needs to do community college first anyway. 

But yea, universities are not cheap.  But, there are ways to get degrees that are more affordable than a lot of folks choose to pursue. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
I think Dicey just jelly...
Hard to be jelly of anyone when you're already FIRE and living the dream ;-)*  Besides, jelly is kind of a Jones thing, which true mustachians are immune to.

What is wrong with suggesting the OP has something to celebrate? Positive reinforcement is an excellent thing.

Like this: "Ooh, Lentils, your lunch looks so yummy. You're so smart to pack your lunch every day."

See? It's nice.

*Details in my journal if you're interested. I finally did the deed and started one. Me and 14,687 other mustachians, lol!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Enjoy the milestone OP.  I empathize.

We are also chasing a pension, albeit a substantial one (that brings the health bennies).  We are definitely wearing the golden handcuffs.

We've been on the FIRE cusp for about 6 months now and are firmly entrenched in OMY...or perhaps 'UP'....Until Pension.

Giro

• Pencil Stache

We are also chasing a pension, albeit a substantial one (that brings the health bennies).  We are definitely wearing the golden handcuffs.

We've been on the FIRE cusp for about 6 months now and are firmly entrenched in OMY...or perhaps 'UP'....Until Pension.

Now that I truly can understand.  I think my hubby is starting to get on board though.  He already has a very nice pension and health benefits for life.  He goes from talking about "getting our second million" to retiring in 2 years. 

I want to scream!!!!!!!!!

Nangirl17

• Stubble
  I think my hubby is starting to get on board though.

One week - that was fast!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache

Now that I truly can understand.  I think my hubby is starting to get on board though.  He already has a very nice pension and health benefits for life.  He goes from talking about "getting our second million" to retiring in 2 years. 

I want to scream!!!!!!!!!
I'm 100% with you in your case...get out now!!  Ahh well.  Keep working him over.  Work on those influence skills!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
I think it would be really fun to work for one year after FI. You get to flex your muscles at work and see what happens. Maybe you get fired? Maybe you get promoted? It doesn't really matter, but it would be fun to test.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
I think it would be really fun to work for one year after FI. You get to flex your muscles at work and see what happens. Maybe you get fired? Maybe you get promoted? It doesn't really matter, but it would be fun to test.

It'd be more fun to take naps every day for a year.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

It'd be more fun to take naps every day for a year.

It is.