Author Topic: Just gave myself a haircut and I am loving it  (Read 7934 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Just gave myself a haircut and I am loving it
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »
Well, well. You get the point. Spent $30 on a Wahl clipper and cut my own hair. Couldn't be happier. No more waiting at the Barber's. After 3 cuts, it is practically free. Here's to more saving.

PS: It came out terrible. I don't care. It is hair. It'll grow back. And yes practice begets perfection.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just gave myself a haircut and I am loving it
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
Obligatory Dilbert:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1992-05-21

http://dilbert.com/strip/1992-05-22

I "cut" my own hair every day! Which is to say I shave it all off (what's left of it).

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Obligatory Dilbert:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1992-05-21

I "cut" my own hair every day! Which is to say I shave it all off (what's left of it).

Haha. Dilbert never lets anyone down.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
Dang, I was hoping a Flowbee would be part of this story...

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
Nice! I've been cutting my own hair (and my son and daughter's hair) for years. DH cuts his own hair as well. So much money - and more importantly TIME - saved!

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
I would goto the barber every other saturday and say use the #2 clipper.  The biggest issue was waiting.  At some point I realized I could do it myself and have been for years.  Huge time and money saver.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
Good for you!

I have extremely difficult to manage curly hair (the curls are not even on both sides of my head, for one), so I have never considered cutting it myself.  My haircuts are just under $50 with tip, which I consider very reasonable for the skill required.  I save by only having it cut every 2 years.  I just got it cut this weekend and had them take off about 16" when pulled straight.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
Good stuff! Practice does make perfect. It's so nice not to drive as then wait :-) Plus you can touch up weekly and keep things looking nice and neat

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
Family of 6 and the DW cuts everyones hair and has for years except twice a year she gets hers cleaned up a bit. Her and my daughter color their own hair. Cant even imaging how much I have saved over the years. Same Clippers as well to best of my knowledge. Great way to save $ thats for sure.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
Wow, I have the same clipper! Works nice for the generic buzz. (Which is all I do)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Still cutting my own (female--short bob) with crea clip and Wahl clippers. Still working out very well.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
I haven't had a haircut since October 2015.  Man bun for the office!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »

this may apply.  I'm not sure.

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
I haven't paid for a haircut since 1990, I did the math once about $10,000 saved. Clippers rock!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
Long straight hair here. Been cutting it myself forever. In my case its easy - grow it long, chop it off at shoulder length, and donate to Locks for Love to make wigs for cancer patients. Only fancy thing I do that takes a bit of skill is long layered bangs.

Just FYI (in case it is important to you)- most of the wigs that Locks for Love makes don't go to cancer patients; the vast majority go to people with alopecia.  (Cancer often causes short term hair loss, and Locks for Love makes wigs for those with long term or permanent hair loss only; though some go to cancer patients, depending on if they meet the criteria.)

There are other organizations that focus more on cancer patients.

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
Been cutting my own for 2 years and my son's for 1 year.  The time saved and convenience is the big plus.  The dollars saved is just gravy.  The big breakthrough for me was that my youngest daughter let me cut her hair this last weekend. I must admit, I was a little nervous.  May not get a repeat customer on that one!

LittleTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »
We just started as a family cutting and coloring a few months ago. Never would have believed we would be doing this a few years ago. We bought a Wahl clipper set and a creaclip. There are so many good YouTube videos to watch! Also I realize that I now really pay attention to men's haircuts on the subway. I do DH & DS's hair and DH gives me and DD a cut and color. DH is still nervous when he does my hair and I have to remind him that I'm not going to complain no matter what and we can always go get it cut professionally if it comes out bad. We used to pay $115 for me monthly, $60 and $30 quarterly for DH and the kids.

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
Husband's been buzz cutting his hair for as long as I've known him - looks fabulous. We just tried cutting my long hair using the ponytail method (yay layers!), it worked out pretty well! I'd highly recommend it, with the time to make appointment, go to salon, wait for stylist, etc., doing at home is so much easier.

Tonyahu

• Stubble
  • Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
I would love to do this. I can easily clip the sides and back but I love extra length on top.

I suppose it's better to learn now at 25 so I can get the skills early....

DISCLAIMER: Grandmother is a hair stylist, only once in my life have I ever paid for a haircut.

Notasoccermom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Amazon sells these hair clip devices with levels in them for $5.88. Used it on my 7 year olds hair (I was too chicken to do my own LOL) it came out great.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 12:33:17 AM »
I cut DH's hair at home and I have no particular skills. We own clippers and scissors that we've had forever. About every six months or so he goes to a barber. In between, I just keep trimming whatever's growing.  Works fine and he always looks presentable.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:55 AM »
Hard with usenames to know genders and not read through all the posts, ...

any women cut their own hair?  I'm very tempted but at the mo at an awkward, growing out layers just above shoulder phase.

any tips?

Vicky

rg422

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
I've been cutting mine with the help of my wife for the past 3 years. I used to go to a barber shop, however got tired of waiting. One day, I walked into a barber shop, saw about 10 guys waiting and said screw it. Drove to Rite-Aid and purchased a set a Wahl hair cutting kit for $29.99 and went home to give it a try. With the help of my wife, we were able to achieve a decent cut. A few more times and results were perfect!! I usually cut the top with a #5 clip and fade the both sides with a #1 clip; the wife then fades the back part. Probably the best buy in terms of ROI.

-Richard

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
Finally did my first cut!  Wahl clippers just paid for themselves.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
Vicky, I'm female and I cut my own. I just chopped off 6-8" recently, love it. I don't bother with any tools besides scissors. Just chop chop, done. I imagine it helps that my hair is big and a touch wavy (forgiving). I've received lots of compliments.

My kid wanted to go to a pro. I told him he can spend his money to go to a pro, or I will use the clippers on him for free. He chooses the latter :)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
any women cut their own hair?  I'm very tempted but at the mo at an awkward, growing out layers just above shoulder phase.

I just use scissors too, shoulder length bob, takes under 5 mins to cut. My technique is to cut hair while it's wet, part down middle, and then trim back to front on each side, final check for evenness, and voila done!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »
I have tried cutting my hair - I think it looks fine.  DW, however, has made a rule that I am not allowed to cut it by myself anymore.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
It took me 5-6 tries to get the cut to come out perfectly (it turns out I look funny with a brush cut), but I can do a decent self haircut in 15 minutes now . . . so it's not just a money saver, it's a huge time saver as well.

I would love to do this. I can easily clip the sides and back but I love extra length on top.

I suppose it's better to learn now at 25 so I can get the skills early....

DISCLAIMER: Grandmother is a hair stylist, only once in my life have I ever paid for a haircut.

That's what the different guards are for.  I do #2 on the sides and back, and go from a #4 (at the back) to a #6 (in the middle) to a #8 (at the very front) on top and it comes out great.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
I haven't paid for a haircut since 1990, I did the math once about $10,000 saved. Clippers rock!

Cool, that's +/- the time I started cutting my own as well.  25+ years of free haircuts, and I'm pretty good at it by now.  Never bothered to calculate the cost savings, but I don't doubt it's many thousands.

I've also been cutting my boys' hair.  We've had them done at places like Great Clips once or twice, and I've had to re-do their botched work each time.

Recently I bought a 4oz bottle of Wahl clipper oil on Amazon -- I figure that should last me until I'm bald.  I was about to buy it for ~$6 when I noticed the exact same bottle was also sold in the 'Pet Supplies' section for $3.  w00t.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:16:44 AM by Bird In Hand »

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
I'm a woman that cuts my own hair with the ponytail method; my hair is pretty long (bra strap length). 

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 04:06:51 AM »
I'd find it difficult to cut my own hair beyond trimming the front to keep it clear of my eyes, but around six years ago I took my husband up on a half-joking offer to cut my hair and I haven't been to a salon since. My hair is very straight and I wear it in a simple wash-and-leave style. My husband buzz-cuts his own hair and our adult son's, and while one of our girls is a proper hair person and spends a fortune on salons and home colouring and styling products the other is also happy to have her hair cut and clippered at home.

Nobody has ever told me to my face that my hair looks dreadful, or slipped a salon business card into my hand.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »

any tips?

Vicky

I cut my own hair, but it's not easy.  I have a few videos I've bookmarked on youtube and I watch them every time I get ready to cut to refresh.  It takes me like 45 min, and I cut dry so the bathroom is a disaster afterwards.  I have long wavy hair with layers so I have some margin of error but it never looks as good as a salon cut.  I try to go to a professional once a year or so and then keep it up myself in the meantime.  It's worth the savings but I wouldn't recommend if you are a perfectionist.

Here's my go-to tutorial:

http://youtu.be/IlevrcsvbkI

I also recommend buying decent shears, which make a huge difference.  I also have thinning shears which I use every other cut to get the bulk out.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »

any tips?

Vicky

I'm a female with long hair, and I wouldn't dare cut it myself - can't reach the back to make sure it's even.  The assistance of a SO or friend is invaluable.  My BF cut my hair for me for the first time recently, and I have no desire to go back (assuming he stays willing to do it!)  Disclaimer: My hair is very curly, so pretty forgiving of minor unevenness, and we went with straight across the bottom.  If I was still going for layers, I couldn't have asked him to do it.