Author Topic: Just did the 10 000th km on my bike  (Read 2021 times)

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
Just did the 10 000th km on my bike
« on: September 14, 2015, 04:37:12 AM »

Yes it is electric, but that just means it's cheaper to run than a standard pedal bike, electricity is far cheaper than food per kilometer.

I'm using it most days to get to work now, that's a 23km each way ride, so the km's add up fast:

390 rides
10 002km
2134 amp hours = 177.5 kWh's

Add 20% for charger inefficiency and taking an average electricity price for the last 3 years and you get about R180 (about $15) spent on electricity for 10 000km riding (actually less as I charge at the office half the time...)!

The bike has been as reliable as a Swiss watch. All that's gone wrong is 3 punctures, 1 in the front and two in the back. Ironically, two of the punctures were from my anti puncture strip wearing through the tube. That said, I have pulled a bunch of glass and steel out of the tyre which didn't get through the puncture strip, so it probably stopped more than it cause. Next time though, I'll be going ghetto tubeless. Punctures always happen at the worst time!

Still getting a huge a grin every time I ride. It's faster to get home than taking the car and sitting in traffic. Also I'm healthier, fitter, and don't get that damn awful road rage unless I have to take my car for some reason. The annoying window washers and car guards leave me alone, I never have to search for parking anywhere, and don't have a hernia every time the petrol price goes up. Plus it helps me get home in a far better mood, so the wife is far happier :)

It cost me about $3000, and saves me about $0.25 per km over my car, so by my calculations I have about 2000km left to do before it pays for itself. Of course I could add in all the health benefits and try to put a value to that, but I'd be healthy either way, so I can't count that...

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Just did the 10 000th km on my bike
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
Considering the mood benefits you describe, I'd say it's definitely paid for itself already :) Congrats!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »
Congratulations.

I vaguely remember some post saying you were in Capetown. It must be a hilly ride for you. Is that why you got the electric?

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
I'd love to live in Cape Town, but I'm in Johannesburg. My route is very hilly, on my regular bike it takes me about 2.5 hours to get home from the office, the electric is 45 minutes. I'm sure I'd sleep well after the regular bike, but I have things to do in the evenings :)

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:24:28 AM »
I can sense the excitement in your post. That's fantastic. I have questions:

- what's the name of the bike? Manufacturer, model etc.
- is it possible to just pedal and not use the electric motor?
- does pedaling actually charge the battery?

Thanks. I am really considering buying one. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Very cool. I've given up tracking my bike distance but I think I'm in the vicinity of 10,000km myself over the past couple years.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!