Author Topic: Just cut $1000/year by switching Internet/cable providers  (Read 2231 times)

prosaic

• Stubble
Just cut $1000/year by switching Internet/cable providers
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
We had Verizon 50/25 for 5 years, paying $117/month, because my husband's job required those kinds of speeds (and he worked at home). No matter how many calls we made to Verizon, they wouldn't eliminate the cable tv portion without actually *increasing* the monthly fee, so we had cable.

On Friday, we switched to RCN (we're outside of Boston). Much slower speeds (10/2, I think...not sure) for $29.99/month, plus a $49.95 installation fee. Husband no longer works at home, so no need for the old, higher dl/ul speeds.

So far, for our casual use, we see zero difference in Internet speed. When my husband called Verizon to cancel, they asked if they could do anything to keep us as a customer, and when he asked for Internet for $29.99 the CSR just paused and then read the script about how to return our equipment. :)

RCN's rate is tiered over three years (increases $10/month per year), but NO contract.

We'll save about $1000 in year 1. Not bad for about an hour of my husband's time!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Re: Just cut $1000/year by switching Internet/cable providers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Awesome job!! Congrats!

We're in the same area that you are, and once our contract is up, I am dumping them. Do you have netflix/have you noticed any difference with streaming?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »
Nice!  We just quit internet too.  We have the comcast $30 special (no RCN although we too live near Boston) with no contract.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
Never heard of that. Wonder if offered in the Midwest. I would love to find an alternative to high cable costs.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
Awesome job! A lot of people I know get caught up on the speed but if you have a decent computer running efficiently (clear cookies) you shouldn't have too much trouble.
I will say, when I use Wi-Fi for my phone, it slows my AT&T Uverse down a bit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!