Author Topic: just bought a $150 electric pressure cooker last month  (Read 11446 times)

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
just bought a $150 electric pressure cooker last month
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
It has already paid itself off and we are in the black from this investment. I also bought a $9 nut-milk bag. Had a freezer full of gallon size bags of old vegetable scraps, instead of bringing  8 cups of water to a boil, then simmering (and burning gas) for 2-3 hours, then using cheesecloth and throwing it away, I pressure cook it for 5 mins and strain it through the bag - cleanup takes longer than preparation.

The other alternative before was $4-$5 store bought. Since I cook/prepare all meals for the gf and I we previously would get takeout or dine out once or twice a month and purchase some more expensive boxed/frozen stuff at Whole Foods as backup for when feeling lazy.

We eat plant based diets but even then you can find ways to pay more for convenience. The ROI on time saved alone is well worth it. We already went through a 5lb bag of split peas and nearly a 5lb of garbanzos (soups, pastas, salads, sides) combined with other things we rarely ate the same main course in the same week. Although since corn on the cob and baking potatoes are ultra cheap where I am, I can say I've been eating those almost daily (potatoes done in 15 mins! corn on the cob in 4!).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: just bought a $150 electric pressure cooker last month
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
That's awesome.

I have no idea how to cook with a pressure cooker, but I've heard amazing things.  We use our crock pot and cast iron all the time, the pressure cooker is the next item I suppose we should learn how to use.  Any tips?  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
I love my pressure cooker! I have two Kuhn Rikons in different sizes and use them all the time.

They are amazing because they cook in 1/3 the time with less energy and more flavor.

@abelspy just look for recipes online and before long you will get the hang of how long to cook things and you'll no longer need to worry about timing. One of my all time favorite pressure cooker recipes is the Carmelized Carrot Soup recipe from Modernist Cuisine. You can find it online. Another great resource is Chefsteps. They have a couple great recipes for stocks.

I love using the pressure cooker for stocks, braises, soups and anything else that typically takes a long time to cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »
I love using the pressure cooker for stocks, braises, soups and anything else that typically takes a long time to cook.

We use a crockpot for something like that.

That does raise a good question though: what sort of things do you cook in a pressure cooker (especially things that greatly benefit from the pressure cooker versus cooking it another way)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »
My wife and I bought the Cruisinart electric pressure cooker. It retails for $100, but got it at bed bath and beyond for $80 with the 20% coupon. Chicken and pork shreds very easily after cooking in the pressure cooker. My mother in law does the same recipe in a crock-pot and the chicken is a lot tougher and difficult to shred. You can put any frozen meat in it and be done is 45 minutes total. Set it to 30 minutes. It will take 15 minutes to build up the pressure and then 30 minutes to cook. Cheap and tough meats soften up and are great for stews & soups. We use some of the left over broth to cook dried beans. Then we freeze the beans in can size containers. 

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Mine is electric, love it. Here is a perfect example of how bad ass they are. This morning my gf was making some biscuits and the recipe calls for unsweetened apple sauce (as a binder, instead of egg; vegan). She wanted me to go to the store and buy a jar. Forget that, I had 4 small pink lady apples that needed to be eaten in the next couple days.

I cored them (left the skin on), cubed the, dropped 'em in a steamer basket with 1c water on the bottom, drizzled some lemon juice on top. Pressure cooked for 4 mins, xferred to a blender.. bam, enough apple juice for the recipe and as a side.

From her request to the end of this, maybe 25 mins if that had passed.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
@arebelspy the main advantage to the pressure cooker is that it raises the boiling point of water which allows for a higher temperature. The higher temperature allows for the Maillard Reaction, so you get a better flavor profile on anything that benefits from browning.

Risotto is also one of my favorite things to cook in the pressure cooker. It's done in under ten minutes. No stirring required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
I have a $70 electric pressure cooker from Costco. I have some reservations about pots/pans with nonstick coatings, but at least pressure cooking is much lower temp than frying.

I use it mainly for pulses - I make big batches of Dal, and also to prepare dried beans for refried beans, and [MOD EDIT: Spam Link Removed.] . I freeze up portions of any of these, then thaw for nice quick dinners during the week.

For Korean/Japanese (very shortgrain fairly sticky rice), pressure cooking gives a great texture, but I don't use if for long-grain (e.g. basmati) rice where you want separate fluffy rice grains instead of stickiness.

I should expand my pressure cooker repertoire beyond just dried beans/lentils and rice, but I find the pressure cooker gives the biggest time savings on these - no need to soak the beans first, and with the electric pressure cookers it's pretty much set and forget without need to watch a timer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:06:19 PM by arebelspy »

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
Pressure cookers are useful multipurpose tools.  We use ours for regular AND pressure cooking.  Oh, and water bath canning. 

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »
I should expand my pressure cooker repertoire beyond just dried beans/lentils and rice

Vegetables work great. Just a few minutes when it's under pressure. Corn on the cob has never tasted better, even better than grilled. The kernels just pop right off (by me, corn on the cob is .25c each!). With my cooker, it's just 3-4 minutes.  Potatoes are probably the longest vegetable, 12-15 if that (large baking potatoes, depending on the cooker).

What I love about this is that no matter how much food you have in there, it takes the same amount of time.. 1 potato or as many as I can fit inside, it would take mine about 15 minutes under pressure.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
I'd never even heard of Ash-e-reshteh. It sounds awesome! Thank you, Hamster.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
Just tried corn on the cob in the pressure cooker. Threw in the corn, husk and all, cooked under pressure for theee minutes. It was amazing.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:31:43 AM »
I'd never even heard of Ash-e-reshteh. It sounds awesome! Thank you, Hamster.
We love it, including the kids. We call it pasta e Fagioli: Persian Version. Bean soup with pasta.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:38:47 AM »
Just tried corn on the cob in the pressure cooker. Threw in the corn, husk and all, cooked under pressure for theee minutes. It was amazing.
I will have to try it. I was skeptical since I always thought of high heat/pressure (canning) making most veggies nasty, dark, and mushy, but with the multiple thumbs up, i will start with the corn.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
@arebelspy the main advantage to the pressure cooker is that it raises the boiling point of water which allows for a higher temperature.

I have trouble wrapping my head around this.

It seems weird to me that higher heat from the pressure makes things cook just fine.

If I double the cooking temperature on my oven things sure don't turn out fine...

:)

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 09:24:07 AM »
I've pressure cooked almost every type of common vegetable that is worth steaming traditionally and never had any real problems. The only issues I had was figuring out the cooking times the first go 'round. Mine comes with a chart but it varies and things were undercooked at first.

Tip for the corn in the pc.. I remove almost all of the husk, all but the the last layer, unlike in grilling where I would traditionally leave a few layers. Your mileage may vary depending on the cooker though.

Another tip: spinach, kale, and other greens you would traditionally steam works well. Usually have a couple bags of some kind of greens or another on hand to make salads out of, and pressure cook the rest if it looks like its going to wilt/spoil in the near future.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
I am super interested in getting one of these also.  Can someone outline the pros/cons of electric vs stovetop.  And also, perhaps some opinions on best value for money options?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
@arebelspy the main advantage to the pressure cooker is that it raises the boiling point of water which allows for a higher temperature.

It seems weird to me that higher heat from the pressure makes things cook just fine.

If I double the cooking temperature on my oven things sure don't turn out fine...

So it's higher temp, but also a closed system that is essentially a huge steam room.  Food can't dry out since the air is already saturated with evaporated high-temperature steam.  If you constantly basted in the oven, you might get similar results.

I am super interested in getting one of these also.  Can someone outline the pros/cons of electric vs stovetop.  And also, perhaps some opinions on best value for money options?

For the more ERE type crowd, stovetop is where it's at.  Less stuff to break (no electronics, yet another unitasking heating element in your kitchen -- in addition to say a toaster, coffee maker, waffle iron, etc.).  It can also be used camping over a camp stove, etc.

The downside of stovetop is that you have to monitor the pressure yourself.  It can sometimes be a pain adjusting the heat up or down to find the sweet spot where I want it (I assume on the electric versions, this is computer controlled).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:47:28 PM by dragoncar »

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »

For the more ERE type crowd, stovetop is where it's at.  Less stuff to break (no electronics, yet another unitasking heating element in your kitchen -- in addition to say a toaster, coffee maker, waffle iron, etc.).  It can also be used camping over a camp stove, etc.

The downside of stovetop is that you have to monitor the pressure yourself.  It can sometimes be a pain adjusting the heat up or down to find the sweet spot where I want it (I assume on the electric versions, this is computer controlled).

Hey thanks for the info!  I agree with the unitasking observation...and the breakage aspect.  I hadn't thought of the ability to use that bad boy on the campstove.  Nice.

I've had the Presto 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker on my price watchlist for 6 months now.  What pisses me off is that the thing hasn't gone below $85 Canadian on amazon.ca...whereas the same one in the US is the equivalent of $50 CDN on amazon.com 

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

Stovetop are louder (scarier for some), better for canning/jarring. I like my electric one because I have a gas stove, and I'm not burning any gas. Just plugged it into the AC.

It also has a timer, delay timer, in general its programmable. I feel completely safe with leaving the house while this is on. Some earlier generation electric pressure cookers weren't great at sauteeing stuff or in general burning stuff on the bottom. The newer ones have addressed these issues.

Check out hippressurecooking.com for reviews from probably the worlds leading authority on these (laura P).

edit: i'll add that the instant pot is designed by canadians if that matters :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:13:34 PM by unix_kung_fu »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

Stovetop are louder (scarier for some), better for canning/jarring. I like my electric one because I have a gas stove, and I'm not burning any gas. Just plugged it into the AC.

It also has a timer, delay timer, in general its programmable. I feel completely safe with leaving the house while this is on. Some earlier generation electric pressure cookers weren't great at sauteeing stuff or in general burning stuff on the bottom. The newer ones have addressed these issues.

Check out hippressurecooking.com for reviews from probably the worlds leading authority on these (laura P).

Just a note that the second generation pressure cookers are not loud (e.g. kuhn rikons and similar)

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
These can often be found used.  You need to do your research though.  The used ones I have found usually need new gaskets and you need to make sure they are available. Worth it though because the gaskets are inexpensive.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
I bought a pound of dried pinto beans for like $1.50 last week, this is what I did this weekend:

Thursday night:

- before bedtime, soaked all the beans for overnight

Friday:

- after work I drained/rinsed beans, pressure cooked em for 20 minutes while watching TV, completely done. Stored them in the fridge for later

Saturday:

- dumped 8 cups water and some frozen vegetable/produce scraps from a gallon freezer bag full (took 1/3rd of these scraps), pressure cooked for 5 mins, strained into nut milk bag, bam.. I know have 9 cups of veggie stock from stuff that normally was thrown away or composted!
- used some of the newly made veggie stock as liquid for to pressure cook 2 cups dry brown rice, this yielded like 4-5 cups cooked
- satued one onion chopped, 2 jalapenos seeded, 4 cloves garlic w/ some veggie stock, then dumped the previously cooked beans with liquid and refried them
- cleaned the cooker then cooked up some leftover broccoli crowns and the rest of a cauliflower head
- opened up the 12ct whole wheat tortillas.. made burritos with rice, beans, veggies, rolled them into foil and stacked them into the freezer
- soaked garbanzo beans overnight

Sunday:

Enjoyed a burrito for lunch while I used up some more veggie stock and made a garbanzo bean soup with leftover cabbage, used the rest of the kohlrabbi and other stuff from our CSA, along with celery, carrots, etc. 15 minutes later we now have enough soup to last us a week.

For dessert I pressure cooked some peaches and apples, dumped some cinnamon on those bad boys. She eats yogurt, I don't, but I imagine it tasted good with the yogurt. My gf was skeptical at first but now she doesn't feel like its a loss because she didn't buy a pint of overpriced and bad for you ice cream.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »

+ 1 for hippressurecooking.com  Great stuff there with the blog, the forums, and the quick cook time lookup tables. 

+1 for the Instant Pot.  I got mine in January and am still in love with it.  Can't believe how awesome everything that comes out of it (including yogurt since I got the model with a built-in yogurt setting) tastes and how easy it is! 

keepitsimple

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Mine was much cheaper ($50), but I do recommend one if you strive to eat on tight budget.  It makes cooking dried beans a breeze and saves so much money over canned.  Plus no BPA worries, if you're into that.  My husband uses it to prep ribs sometimes before he throw them on the grill. I don't eat meat so I can't attest to how that all plays out.  I just inherited a large pressure cooker that I will start using to can vegetable soups, bean chilis, pasta sauce, etc. when the garden starts producing.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »
Okay. My rice cooker just broke (melted!) and I'm thinking of replacing it with one of these. But I haven't found one at a thrift store or on craigslist...

You all seem to be saying that it is worth the $150 price tag? Convince me.

I'm thinking about the Instant pot with the yogurt setting (because I eat a ridiculous amount of yogurt and got out of the habit of making my own once I started working 70+ hour weeks.)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »

Yeah you have to be careful about this.  My mom cooked a lot of mushy vegetables in a pressure cooker.  I didn't like the pressure cooked mush and thought I didn't like vegetables as a result.  :(

Re monitoring - we have a story about a friend that tried to pressure cook 2 chickens and just left it in there...  Turns out that the chicken (minus bones) can squeeze out the top of the pressure cooker if there is enough pressure, and it's even more of a mess than you are imagining.

I own one, courtesy of a hand me down from mom.  I've only cooked potatoes in them, and only 1-2 times.  I should get rid of it or figure out what to cook in it.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

It's not just the heat but the physical properties of water at temperatures one cannot achieve without pressurizing the reaction vessel. Google "superheated water pressure cooker".

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

Yeah you have to be careful about this.  My mom cooked a lot of mushy vegetables in a pressure cooker.  I didn't like the pressure cooked mush and thought I didn't like vegetables as a result.  :(

Re monitoring - we have a story about a friend that tried to pressure cook 2 chickens and just left it in there...  Turns out that the chicken (minus bones) can squeeze out the top of the pressure cooker if there is enough pressure, and it's even more of a mess than you are imagining.

I own one, courtesy of a hand me down from mom.  I've only cooked potatoes in them, and only 1-2 times.  I should get rid of it or figure out what to cook in it.

Things cook much quicker in a pressure cooker, so it's likely the mushy vegetables were a result of overcooking. Vegetables cook incredibly quickly in the pressure cooker for this reason, you have to be very cognizant of cooking time.

The pressure cooker really shines in certain areas. I love making stock in the pressure cooker because the time is reduced, the flavor is retained and the clarity is improved. It's also great for any recipe that calls for moist heat, such as soups or braises. Certain flavors are very difficult to reproduce outside of the pressure cooker, such as the caramelization of carrots in this recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/caramelized-carrot-soup

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
Cross posting a new thread I started that's relevant here, especially for people wondering about getting a pressure cooker for how to use it. Here's the text from that post http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/video-my-20-minute-vegetable-stew!-six-delicious-nutritious-meals-maybe-$10:

I've been posting lately about my diet, which is the most delicious, nutritious, varied, convenient, and everything you want in food that it's ever been, though I grew up on a standard American diet. And for this community, I'll also note I'm spending less on food than ever, owing to belonging to a Community Supported Agriculture farm and getting most of my other food from a farmers market.

Today I posted a video of me making a delicious vegetable / lentil stew that I thought this forum would appreciate. With zero preparation, from starting to turning on the pressure cooker was twenty minutes, including delays from talking to the camera. I'll get at least six meals out of it and it cost at most $10 for ingredients. That was all the preparation time I needed.

Check out the video: http://joshuaspodek.com/20-minute-vegetable-stew. If you don't have a pressure cooker, I recommend one. It's amazing -- that is, if you like delicious, nutritious, convenient, cheap food. I made the video and am sharing it because for me it would be more useful than a recipe or instruction book to start with a pressure cooker.

I didn't plan the ingredients, I just threw in what I felt like that was in the fridge:

Lentils (maybe three or four cups dry)
    Zucchini
    Yellow zucchini (summer squash?)
    Kale
    Collard Greens
    Beet and beet leaves
    Garlic
    Habanero
    Thyme
    Salt
    Spices
    Nutritional yeast
    Water

I just wish I could let you guys try it over the internet. It's incredibly delicious and filling.

P.S. I got the pressure cooker in the video from Craig's List, pre-owned but unused by the previous owner for $50. I recommend it, the Cuisinart CPC-600, though I've never used another to compare it to.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:05:59 PM by JoshuaSpodek »

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
I put the instant pot on my amazon wish list last November, only I didnt realize I was logged in to my now husband's account. He bought it for me as a surprose (sounds funny to say that now, since we've completely combined finances since then. . ) I didn't have a slow cooker, so between pressure cooking and slow cooking i use it 3-5 times/week.

My favorite recipe is the pressure cooker meatballs with beef and chorizo from hip pressure cooking.

Another great recipe site is dadcooksdinner. com
Also some great grilling recipes

As ive gotten used to it, I'm much more comfortable with improv; say i forgot to start a slow cooker meal in the morning, i can just modify it for the pressure cooker.

If you are hesitant, keep an eye on the price (for the instant pots on amazon). they go on sale frequently, like on the recent prime day and for black friday.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
If you are hesitant, keep an eye on the price (for the instant pots on amazon). they go on sale frequently, like on the recent prime day and for black friday.
Yup, bought two 6-Qt. On Prime Day. Wanted an 8, but only the 6 was on sale. Was gonna pass until smart kid pointed out that two sixes was still cheaper than one eight. Loving it so far!