Author Topic: 1,000 km - Toronto to Coney Island by bike with a 10 yr old.  (Read 38220 times)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: 1,000 km - Toronto to Coney Island by bike with a 10 yr old.
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
I've confirmed with my weekend plans and will be cheering and possibly offering treats on day two somewhere between st. Catherine's and Burlington. I'm trying to get more people hyped about it between Whitby and Burlington.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2018, 05:06:03 AM »
Do you know about the Play Museum in Rochester?  It is pretty darn fantastic. http://www.museumofplay.org/  This will totally hijack your whole trip though...

We have a rest day in Rochester...
  It is not a 'restful' place for a kid.  A parent may find rest there, if you find watching your kids have a fantastic time, restful and can ignore all the squeals of delight the other children are making.  My kids demanded we go back for a second weekend in Rochester so we did.  This despite, adding the new word 'abbomit' to our family lexicon on this trip.  As in "he is going to abbomit, stop the car".  It really is a wonderful place and every kid should experience it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2018, 05:23:33 AM »
Do you know about the Play Museum in Rochester?  It is pretty darn fantastic. http://www.museumofplay.org/  This will totally hijack your whole trip though...

It is not a 'restful' place for a kid.  A parent may find rest there, if you find watching your kids have a fantastic time, restful and can ignore all the squeals of delight the other children are making.  My kids demanded we go back for a second weekend in Rochester so we did.  This despite, adding the new word 'abbomit' to our family lexicon on this trip.  As in "he is going to abbomit, stop the car".  It really is a wonderful place and every kid should experience it.

Yeah - a rest day is mostly a chance to something other than peddle. Playing is good. Abbomiting is not. The people we're staying with in Rochester are right DT, so I think we'll enjoy the town.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »
I've confirmed with my weekend plans and will be cheering and possibly offering treats on day two somewhere between st. Catherine's and Burlington. I'm trying to get more people hyped about it between Whitby and Burlington.

You get top points as an elite cheerer-on!! Thank you!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »

Yeah - a rest day is mostly a chance to something other than peddle. Playing is good. Abbomiting is not. The people we're staying with in Rochester are right DT, so I think we'll enjoy the town.
the science museum is also cool but I think the hotdog at the cafe there was the source for the abbomitting. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2018, 06:51:08 AM »
Making my token appearance at the office... media interview at 10:00 that I need to bike to. Means I leave the office in 30 minutes. TG for understanding bosses.

#TheCameraAdds10lbs #ThatOnesNotMyGoodSide #NeitherIsThatOne

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
Wishing you well on the ride. Lots of e-cheering coming from western Canada. Hope all goes great for you and James. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Wishing you well on the ride. Lots of e-cheering coming from western Canada. Hope all goes great for you and James.

Thanks PG! Here's what welooked like on the news tonight...

https://globalnews.ca/video/4392396/whitby-boy-with-autism-gears-up-for-ride-to-raise-20000-for-children-with-special-needs

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
Great promo video, Prospector, for a great cause.

I wish you and James a great ride. 
Have fun!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
Sammy just hit her weight loss goal, and has picked RideJamesRide as her donation recommendation for this segment.  I hope you see an influx of donations in the next couple of days.  (made mine 2 minutes ago.)

I hope you and James have a wonderful trip, and that all the speed bumps are fun ones.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »
I'm confused on the schedule. Was the sendoff party last night or is it tonight? The "Route" segment of the website indicates they start riding tomorrow, but the "Schedule" segment of the website says they started the main ride 7 hours ago. The tracker shows a training ride from the 8th.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm confused on the schedule. Was the sendoff party last night or is it tonight? The "Route" segment of the website indicates they start riding tomorrow, but the "Schedule" segment of the website says they started the main ride 7 hours ago. The tracker shows a training ride from the 8th.

Party was just now. Sendoff is in the morning. How can the schedule be wrong. Going now to look...

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Hope the party was fabulous. Hope tomorrow's send off goes smoothly and you hit the pavement tomorrow looking forward to an incredible two weeks!

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2018, 05:00:10 AM »
Its too early to be up on a Saturday, but here we are.

We've been the beneficiaries of $7500 in donations so far, and countless well-wishes. Last night we held our sendoff party and the local paper came out to take photos and make news. Our MPP was there as was a bunch of the scouting crowd and some of our supporters.

Now we're having cream of wheat for breakfast (James' choice) and then we're off to the Whitby pier to meet some friends and get going.

Thanks for following along thus far. I won't be posting here a whole lot while we're on the road - more likely you'll find our updates on FB and Twitter - look for #RideJamesRide on both and you'll find us pretty quick.

Ready, Steady, Go!

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2018, 05:10:16 AM »
Best of luck team #RideJamesRide

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
Seems physically risky and unfair to put a child through this.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
Since it was the kid's idea to begin with, I think it's great for a parent to get behind it, find the ways to make it less risky, and help a kid with challenges that doubtless impact their self esteem to achieve something pretty impressive.

Also, I'm side-eying your timing on this post.

#RideJamesRide

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
I agree. So incredibly amazing for a parent to get behind his child's dream to make it a reality. Instead of pooh-poohing his child's farfetched idea, he starts working on the nuts and bolts of how to make it a reality. Showing his child that the impossible can be possible. I take my hat off for this dad. And this special kid who has learned how to dream big dreams.

#RideJamesRide

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
Much less risky than dumping him in front of a TV screen all day and feeding him Cheetos.

#RideJamesRide

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
I'm way late to this party, but I'm getting choked up just thinking about James out there accomplishing his dream. Donating now. Ride, James, ride!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
So incredibly amazing for a parent to get behind his child's dream to make it a reality. Instead of pooh-poohing his child's farfetched idea, he starts working on the nuts and bolts of how to make it a reality. Showing his child that the impossible can be possible. I take my hat off for this dad. And this special kid who has learned how to dream big dreams.

+1. So fabulous. Go, James!!!!!!! Go, Dad!!!!!

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »
You just showed up in my facebook feed (via the Arkel page)!

I saw the video and thought for sure it was you guys. Came here and saw the link. Hope your first day has been wonderful!

#RideJamesRide

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
We were 3 hours too early passing Whitby to watch the send off party Friday. See you crazy early tomorrow at the lakefront park where I try to convince James to play instead of ride

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
So incredibly amazing for a parent to get behind his child's dream to make it a reality. Instead of pooh-poohing his child's farfetched idea, he starts working on the nuts and bolts of how to make it a reality. Showing his child that the impossible can be possible. I take my hat off for this dad. And this special kid who has learned how to dream big dreams.

+1. So fabulous. Go, James!!!!!!! Go, Dad!!!!!

Agree! You two and your whole support system are incredible.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
I'm writing to you tonight from an rv parked on the edge of Medina ny.

We've covered 300 km in 3 days, and now we're longhauling on the Erie Canal towpath. We spent a night in a very nice home in Mississauga overlooking the Rattray Marsh. Last night we were in a very rustic cottage in St. Catherine's.

We had a headwind all day yesterday and today. It hasn't been easy so far, but I'm told we should have tailwind soon.tomorrow we head to Rochester. We aren't fast, but we get where we're going.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »
300km in 3 days is pretty darn amazing. You guys rock!

---------------------

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
Enjoying seeing your progress on the tracker!  Sounds like you are getting some great distance in; despite the headwinds hope there's some fun, too!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »
Saw your Twiiter pics and and a Strava ride report from a NFBC member today.  Sorry I couldn't make it but glad I helped make that connection.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2018, 07:45:49 PM »
keep at it -- you are on an amazing, awe-inspiring journey!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
My wife and I spent a very enjoyable hour or 2 with James and his Dad.  Both were in good spirits and seemed to be enjoying their adventure. 

My hat is off to you Prospector.  You are doing an amazing thing for and with your son.  A memory certainly to be cherished for a lifetime. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:57:31 PM by Pizzabrewer »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
Big thumbs up!  And hey - your fundraising is just shy of $11k CAD right now.  Already surpassed last year's big goal!

@Pizzabrewer - thanks for being a supportive friend on their journey and for the update.  :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
We're in Utica. Every day has been different, and all has gone well. Our plans for tomorrow have changed.  We are now going to canajahorie rather than Fonda. This will mean a very short day tmrw, and a very long one the next day.

After that, it's a rest day in Albany and then we grind our way over a mountain  and into the Hudson river drainage.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »
...all has gone well.

WONDERFUL!!!

After that, it's a rest day in Albany and then we grind our way over a mountain  and into the Hudson river drainage.

You guys are amazing :))))   

What memories you're building together, too. For him to have this always to look back on, to fill up his body and soul...

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: August 26, 2018, 02:31:12 AM »
Awesome. Really glad to hear it's going well.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
I've been checking the twitter feed every day to see where you are.  I'm glad you both seem to be holding up well, and you manage to fit some fun in too.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Tomorrow you'll pass within 8 miles of my childhood home.  Wish I could be there to cheer you on.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: August 26, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
That is amazing! Thanks for updating this thread.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
Tomorrow you'll pass within 8 miles of my childhood home.  Wish I could be there to cheer you on.

Ooh, you didn't turn away from the river at State St.  Now you are even closer!  I'm going to have to keep tracking to see how close you will get.  If you continue far enough along the river you'll be within four miles.

I hope you have a lovely rest day tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:58:57 AM by Cherry Lane »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
I just caught up on your Twitter feed and made a donation in honor of Sailor Sam's weight loss. You and James are doing so well! What an amazing trip for both of you.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
Just found this thread - this is so COOL!

I have a college friend who lives in Michigan now.  Actually, both the husband and wife are my college buddies.  They have 3 kids.  The dad is a big cyclist, so each summer he has planned a big bike trip with one of his kids.  This year, it's his daughter's turn.

Last year he and one of his boys biked from San Francisco to Los Angeles (I live in Santa Barbara - they camped nearby, but did not have time to hook up!)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
I've been following your progress on the tracker. You guys are killing it! How are the legs holding up? How is James doing? How are you doing?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
I see you are headed through Sleepy Hollow today.  Watch out for the Headless Horseman!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »
Sorry... We weren't on the forum much while travelling. Today we reached Coney and got royal treatment by everyone here.

Next week I'll update this thread with stories, thoughts, and ideas. Watch the NYC news tonight though and you should get the idea of how this went.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
Congratulations, James and Prospector!  Looking forward to the stories.  Hope you are eating, resting, and celebrating.  🎉

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
Yay!  You made it!

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
Congrats! Take your time to have fun at the fairground and beach.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!