Author Topic: I would ride 500 km and I would ride 500 more...  (Read 1826 times)

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
Re: I would ride 500 km and I would ride 500 more...
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Loads of great news today...

Our charity on this end has reached out to the bike shop locally that builds kids bikes for therapy and special needs kids. They are working with the bike shop to outfit this bike to match James' needs on the ride. I hope they can transform it into a "gravel bike" or touring bike.

Also exciting, a recently retired NHL player has picked up our twitter feed and asked if he can have a chat with us since he has some ideas about athletes working cross-border and doing charity work as a Canadian in the USA. I am excited about this. adding such a high-profile name to our feed is a great step. We now have a retired CFL football player and a retired NHL player. If these guys start promoting us through the major league sports networks, things could get pretty darned big. The potential here is pretty amazing!

Fingers crossed that we can get him promoting us... Or at least that we can crash at his condo in NY.
Illegitimi non carborundum

500km

Current Journal: A Being Being
Journal 1: 80 Pages
Journal 2: 109 pages

CM*TO Is a thing!! We're accepting names for the waitlist!!

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
Wow!  Your post reminded me of my own son's bicycle exploits, but then I got to the "9 years old" part !!  When my son was 19 he wanted to ride across the country.  His mother (my wife) freaked out, and I negotiated it down to a 1 week father/son bike trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was awesome, and I thought it got the whole XC thing out of his system. 2 years later he was 21 and road solo from Boston to Seattle. His bike was my 35 year old 12 speed.  His northerly route took him through Canada from Niagara Falls to the Bluewater Bridge, where customs took him over in a van (no bicycles allowed on the bridge). 

I am surprised you need a visa at all to come in as a tourist from Canada to the U.S,  but of course things are tighter now than they used to be.
Accidentally retired in 2007.

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
Wow!  Your post reminded me of my own son's bicycle exploits, but then I got to the "9 years old" part !!  When my son was 19 he wanted to ride across the country.  His mother (my wife) freaked out, and I negotiated it down to a 1 week father/son bike trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was awesome, and I thought it got the whole XC thing out of his system. 2 years later he was 21 and road solo from Boston to Seattle. His bike was my 35 year old 12 speed.  His northerly route took him through Canada from Niagara Falls to the Bluewater Bridge, where customs took him over in a van (no bicycles allowed on the bridge). 

I am surprised you need a visa at all to come in as a tourist from Canada to the U.S,  but of course things are tighter now than they used to be.

Thanks for your post! We don't need a visa to visit as tourists. its coming across representing an organization and fundraising that is the fly in the ointment.

500km

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »
Just posting to say you restored my faith in humans today and are a wonderful father.

From,

a shithole American.

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
Isn't it funny how things on the internet pop up every now and then. I just found this radio interview I'd forgotten all about from day 3 of our ride last year...

Wow I talk fast!

500km

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
I cycle 3600KM each year commuting into work. People think I am nuts.
When I get in, I have porridge, costing 5c a portion.
Its a good routine to have - I am probably more ERE than MMM.
p.s. I get this from friends a lot…

"What will you do?”
"Whatever the hell I feel like doing on any given day."