Author Topic: I pee in backyard to save water. Wife hates me for it.  (Read 24174 times)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Re: I pee in backyard to save water. Wife hates me for it.
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm intrigued!   Let's pause the social and moral debate and consider the botanical value of the act in question to the unquestionable beneficiaries... the plants!  From a website on (very) organic gardening...

"Our urine contains significant levels of nitrogen, as well as phosphorous and potassium. The relative ratios are typically around 11 parts nitrogen to 1 part phosphorus to 2.5 parts potassium."

This should mean that a direct, er... "application" would yield a similar benefit to plants as 11-1-3 fertilizer.   That's decent nitrogen for the greening of plants though only at temperatures below roughly 90 degrees F to avoid burning foliage, especially on areas the OP previously... er, "applied".    Now, back to the social aspects... Or maybe just on with the nightly show?!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:16 AM »
I just finished reading the humanure handbook, mentioned earlier in this thread (free online available). It mentions that people who use medicin, have urine that contains medicin that shouldn't end up in nature. Also, if a person has a decease, that will be in the urine. It will make your garden more unhealthy for humans. Better to properly compost your urine in a composting bin/heap, which will heat up to temperatures where the right thermofile bacteria will break down decease particles and medicin particles. For details, read the book.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
I just finished reading the humanure handbook, mentioned earlier in this thread (free online available). It mentions that people who use medicin, have urine that contains medicin that shouldn't end up in nature. Also, if a person has a decease, that will be in the urine. It will make your garden more unhealthy for humans. Better to properly compost your urine in a composting bin/heap, which will heat up to temperatures where the right thermofile bacteria will break down decease particles and medicin particles. For details, read the book.

Depends who is eating the food.  If I pee medicine on my plants and eat the plants I’m recycling medicine!

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »

Depends who is eating the food.  If I pee medicine on my plants and eat the plants I’m recycling medicine!

Waste not, want not. Seems very Mustachian to me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »

Traditionally, a medicine man would eat amanita muscaria and absorb the dangerous toxins, then pee out the medicinal psychoactive hallucinogen for others to enjoy.  So, there's precedent of a kind.

Waste not, want not. Seems very Mustachian to me.

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
Surely very odd that wife’s has issue with that?

I do it cause it’s primal lol.....plus it’s a man thing

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
By my math each toilet flush costs me $0.015. I’m happy to pay it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
By my math each toilet flush costs me $0.015. I’m happy to pay it.

Mine costs more like $0.04 in water and $0.03 in sewer fees per flush at the base rate, plus the $0.10 of nutrients in the pee going to waste.

However, in the summer we might hit the higher tier of water cost, so marginal reductions in water usage are bigger savings. In the winter they measure household usage (figuring nobody is watering the garden) to calculate sewer fees for the upcoming year.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »

Mine costs more like $0.04 in water and $0.03 in sewer fees per flush at the base rate, plus the $0.10 of nutrients in the pee going to waste.

$40 per 1,000 gallons for water, and $30 per 1,000 for sewer?  That seems exceptionally high.  Typical rates in our area are more like $4 per thousand for water.  Depending on type of sewer system, sewer could be $2 to $15 per thousand.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »
Couple of weeks ago, DH and I were looking at a house in the retirement community where we own rentals. We were interested in this one and our Realtor had previewed it for us. We knew the house was empty and the owner lived out of state. We pulled into the driveway, and as we often do, went around the back of the house to look for clues to the overall structural well-being of the house first. There was unopened mail and two packages addressed to the owner on the back patio, so we really were convinced the house was empty. DH mentioned that he needed to take a wizz. I told him to water some plants, as they looked thirsty, so he did. We continued our exterior inspection, and were intrigued enough to take the next step, which was to officially arrange a viewing with our Realtor. On a whim, I went to the front door and looked in a window. OMG, there was someone sitting at a computer desk, with their back to the window. OMG! We were very blatant about our visual inspection! We can't believe the person inside had no idea we were there.

We found out later that it was a guest of the owner, but we were too spooked to view the house and it's now pending, so we're obviously not going to be the next owners. Moral of the story: Be careful where you pee.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Couple of weeks ago, DH and I were looking at a house in the retirement community where we own rentals. We were interested in this one and our Realtor had previewed it for us. We knew the house was empty and the owner lived out of state. We pulled into the driveway, and as we often do, went around the back of the house to look for clues to the overall structural well-being of the house first. There was unopened mail and two packages addressed to the owner on the back patio, so we really were convinced the house was empty. DH mentioned that he needed to take a wizz. I told him to water some plants, as they looked thirsty, so he did. We continued our exterior inspection, and were intrigued enough to take the next step, which was to officially arrange a viewing with our Realtor. On a whim, I went to the front door and looked in a window. OMG, there was someone sitting at a computer desk, with their back to the window. OMG! We were very blatant about our visual inspection! We can't believe the person inside had no idea we were there.

We found out later that it was a guest of the owner, but we were too spooked to view the house and it's now pending, so we're obviously not going to be the next owners. Moral of the story: Be careful where you pee.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

$40 per 1,000 gallons for water, and $30 per 1,000 for sewer?  That seems exceptionally high.  Typical rates in our area are more like $4 per thousand for water.  Depending on type of sewer system, sewer could be $2 to $15 per thousand.

Was curious after reading this, so just checked our last water bill. We paid:

-flat rate of $16.83/month for our water connection

-water utilization of 5K gallons @ $9.84/1K = $49.20

-wastewater of 5K gallons @ $7.99/1K = $39.95

Total bill for 1 month for a family of 3 was $105.98

Seems totally crazy to me that we pay so much for water. In comparison, our electric bill was $41. Gas bill was $31. Water was, by far, our biggest expense last month, aside from taxes, of course.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2020, 06:47:38 PM »

Seems totally crazy to me that we pay so much for water. In comparison, our electric bill was $41. Gas bill was $31. Water was, by far, our biggest expense last month, aside from taxes, of course.

Whoa, that's a painful water number.  Our monthly cost is about $25.  But I'm jealous of your electricity and gas bills!

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »

Whoa, that's a painful water number.  Our monthly cost is about $25.  But I'm jealous of your electricity and gas bills!

Managed to convince my family to not turn on the central AC until we got several days in a row of 95F+ temps, during the first week of July. My guess is the electric bill for this month is, unfortunately, going to be about 4X what we paid for June. I'm working on convincing my family that we should only use the AC until the end of August, and then go back to fans. So far, though, I'm the only one in my family who is enthusiastic about this idea, though. :(

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »

Managed to convince my family to not turn on the central AC until we got several days in a row of 95F+ temps, during the first week of July. My guess is the electric bill for this month is, unfortunately, going to be about 4X what we paid for June. I'm working on convincing my family that we should only use the AC until the end of August, and then go back to fans. So far, though, I'm the only one in my family who is enthusiastic about this idea, though. :(
I would definitely not be enthused by this plan. How about moving somewhere where it doesn’t get so hot? ;-)

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:17 PM »

I would definitely not be enthused by this plan. How about moving somewhere where it doesn’t get so hot? ;-)

Pretty sure my wife would be in favor of that idea. She hates the heat. Someday, maybe, we'll become nomadic, again. I liked moving with the seasons. For now, though, we're mostly happy where we are. If it's still really hot in September, we'll keep the AC on. Electricity here is dirt cheap. Just don't want to run it any longer than we need to. No sense heating up the planet any more than absolutely necessary.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2020, 12:25:51 AM »

Pretty sure you can still buy the house out from under the current pending buyer using the rule of marked territory.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »

Pretty sure you can still buy the house out from under the current pending buyer using the rule of marked territory.

The problem with using the ‘market territory’ laws is that the fellow who had been sitting at the computer desk could very easily have made his own claim.  Then it becomes a drawn out battle over various legal streams. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2020, 07:24:49 AM »

The problem with using the ‘market territory’ laws is that the fellow who had been sitting at the computer desk could very easily have made his own claim.  Then it becomes a drawn out battle over various legal streams.

If you're depending on 'marked territory' rules I suspect that urine for a shock.  :P

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2020, 08:26:34 AM »

If you're depending on 'marked territory' rules I suspect that urine for a shock.  :P

Perhaps the guest was aware of you but just wanted to go with the flow and not be disturbed.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »

As i understand it the humans switched to flags a few centuries ago and no longer recognizes scent based marking. I suspect no one dare tell the dragons though...

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
I pee in the backyard to be more efficient at work. Let me explain.

I've worked from home for many years. My mother-in-law is a chatterbox and whenever I emerge from my office to use the bathroom during her visits, she thinks that's her license to start a filibuster. I learned years ago that since my office is in the back of the house - we have a huge, private backyard - it's easier to take a leak outside. My office is this converted bonus room with a sink that the previous owner might have used as a bar.

So it works out.

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »
I pee in the backyard to be more efficient at work. Let me explain.

I've worked from home for many years. My mother-in-law is a chatterbox and whenever I emerge from my office to use the bathroom during her visits, she thinks that's her license to start a filibuster. I learned years ago that since my office is in the back of the house - we have a huge, private backyard - it's easier to take a leak outside. My office is this converted bonus room with a sink that the previous owner might have used as a bar.

So it works out.

I understand the draw to go outside, but there's also a solution for when the weather turns cold.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
I suggest taking it up a notch. Urine is an excellent fertilizer. In swedish gardening literature I have seen the term "golden water" used, you take 1 part urine and 9 parts water. Might not work for you if saving water is the main goal, but you can collect some rainwater to dilute your very own golden sprinkles of pee.

Then grow your own veggies, serve it to friends and familiiy and then tell them afterwards that you have cared for them and fertilized with your very own pee.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2020, 06:37:28 AM »
Hopefully the OP's wife doesn't still hate him for this, when it's turned out to have a surprising number of benefits!

But if so, @habaneroNorway brings up a great point with rainwater, that's another option for toilet flushing to save water. There's simple DIY plumbed directly (e.g. http://www.phoenixsailingcharters.com/rainwater.htm), or the ol' fashioned bucket approach (fill toilet tank with rainwater).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:39:23 AM by Roots&Wings »

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2020, 06:45:23 AM »
Urine is rich in nitrogen. Has this been pointed out?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2020, 11:38:08 PM »
Hopefully the OP's wife doesn't still hate him for this, when it's turned out to have a surprising number of benefits!

But if so, @habaneroNorway brings up a great point with rainwater, that's another option for toilet flushing to save water. There's simple DIY plumbed directly (e.g. http://www.phoenixsailingcharters.com/rainwater.htm), or the ol' fashioned bucket approach (fill toilet tank with rainwater).

I pipe my gutters directly to my urinal and only pee when it rains

Urine is rich in nitrogen. Has this been pointed out?

Many times

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2020, 03:08:40 PM »

You are such a well-trained dragon! I'll bet your wife loves you for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2020, 02:20:49 AM »

She's always complaining our plants don't get enough nitrogen!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2020, 06:38:44 AM »

She's always complaining our plants don't get enough nitrogen!

Plumb the urinal to the plants and the toilet to the rainwater, and you're all set!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
Surely very odd that wife’s has issue with that?

I do it cause it’s primal lol.....plus it’s a man thing

I suspect the OP's wife worries about appearances which is certainly her prerogative. She and the OP will need to work it out or OP become more discrete and secretive. Maybe her ideal fantasy man would never do such a thing. I have several relatives of the feminine variety who would react exactly the same to this topic.

We live out in the country on a big patch of ground. We pee all around the property day or night but not down by the road. DW would in a pinch but prefers indoor plumbing.

Funny side story: We have a family dog who is discrete about her business. Disappears into the trees and reappears when she is done.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
I remember reading a story many years ago about a man who was living alone in a very isolated northern area (Siberia?) for an extended period of time.  He was having trouble with wolves.  He knew that wolves marked territory with urine, so he saved up a large pot of the stuff and dumped it in a couple corners of his property to no effect.  But then he realized that the urine needed to both be fresh and to fully encircle his property . . . so he started walking around the area every day to mark things off with pee.

And after that it worked!  The wolves left his area alone.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »
We pee all around the property day or night but not down by the road.
But then he realized that the urine needed to both be fresh and to fully encircle his property . . . so he started walking around the area every day to mark things off with pee.

Fantastic tips! Maybe this is what needs to happen to keep the critters from pilfering my fruit trees.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

@Shane,  $105 for water and sewer is really high... For comparison, Atlanta water-only for 2 months is $40 for 3 people at our house (we have septic).      Are you sure there's no slow leaks (turning off water at the house entry main, checking for leaks to the street if the meter still turns, etc.)?   At that rate, is adding a well and septic an option for your home lot?   Roughly $7-10K for septic plus $3-5K for a well.    Pay back in 10 years or so (even with a septic tank service along the way which is usually $350 or so if scheduled (ie, don't wait till the $hitter is full like cousin Eddy ;-).   

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2020, 11:49:49 AM »

@Shane,  $105 for water and sewer is really high... For comparison, Atlanta water-only for 2 months is $40 for 3 people at our house (we have septic).      Are you sure there's no slow leaks (turning off water at the house entry main, checking for leaks to the street if the meter still turns, etc.)?   At that rate, is adding a well and septic an option for your home lot?   Roughly $7-10K for septic plus $3-5K for a well.    Pay back in 10 years or so (even with a septic tank service along the way which is usually $350 or so if scheduled (ie, don't wait till the $hitter is full like cousin Eddy ;-).

My last water bill was just over $90 (for one month), but only $25 of that was for actual water usage. The rest of the bill is water and wastewater base rates, stormwater fee, street maintenance fee, sidewalk maintenance fee, transit operations fee, urban forestry fee, police public service fee, and fire public service fee. I don't know why they don't include most of that in property taxes, but I suspect this method is more politically feasible. It seems ridiculous to me.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »

@Money Badger Pretty sure there are no leaks. Water company billed us for 5K gallons for a household of 3 for a month. 5000 gallons/30 days = 166 gallons/day.  A neighbor couple told us they generally use 4K - 6K gallons per month, for just the two of them. So, I don't think 5K gallons for three people is out of line. This month's bill is for 6K gallons, and it's $123.81. It's been pretty dry, recently, so we've been watering all of our indoor and outdoor plants everyday. That may have driven up our usage this month. Living in the city, there's really no way around paying water and drain fees. Water company knows that, and their prices reflect their monopoly power. No way we could make a well or septic. Lot's way too small, and the house takes up almost the entire lot, except for a tiny back patio. There's no soil on our lot. It's all covered by concrete or stone. I'm sure it wouldn't be legal to make our own well or septic system, anyway.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »
If it’s an older city there may have been tons of deferred maintenance on the supply lines and sewer that now has to be addressed and funded.  Thats actually the only reason I can think of since there is usually regulation of utility profit margins

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
If it’s an older city there may have been tons of deferred maintenance on the supply lines and sewer that now has to be addressed and funded.  Thats actually the only reason I can think of since there is usually regulation of utility profit margins

You are correct. There are some big EPA mandated infrastructure projects that our city has to complete in order to comply with the Clean Water Act. Basically, we're paying now for decades of deferred maintenance.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
I remember reading a story many years ago about a man who was living alone in a very isolated northern area (Siberia?) for an extended period of time.  He was having trouble with wolves.  He knew that wolves marked territory with urine, so he saved up a large pot of the stuff and dumped it in a couple corners of his property to no effect.  But then he realized that the urine needed to both be fresh and to fully encircle his property . . . so he started walking around the area every day to mark things off with pee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Cry_Wolf_(film)

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »
im gonna go all out here....is a pit latrine in the back yard completely off the cards? lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_latrine

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »

This is exactly the case for us.  The sewer part of our bill used to be the same as the water usage part.  And then they found a bunch of work that needed to be done on the sewers and that part is now double what it used to be.

As far as peeing outside, that doesn't work well for me as a female.  But potty training 3 boys has meant lots of outdoor peeing.  My one son refused to pee in the toilet for the longest time, but he loved to go out and pee on the tree. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
im gonna go all out here....is a pit latrine in the back yard completely off the cards? lol

Imagine you want to contribute to wikipedia and you decide "you know what?  The pit latrine article needs an illustration"

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2020, 03:48:39 AM »

Imagine you want to contribute to wikipedia and you decide "you know what?  The pit latrine article needs an illustration"

awfull..real 'toilet humour'

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »

Given the apparent hardness of the marble-like pellets being dispensed in the illustration, I worry about the fiber intake of the illustator.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
Has anyone ever used a pit latrine when it has been below freezing for an extended period of time? I stayed at a fire lookout during the winter with a couple of friends and we were all impressed by the tall, skinny tower of frozen poop that was growing up from the bottom of the hole.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »
Has anyone ever used a pit latrine when it has been below freezing for an extended period of time? I stayed at a fire lookout during the winter with a couple of friends and we were all impressed by the tall, skinny tower of frozen poop that was growing up from the bottom of the hole.

The infamous Poopsicle... They can become an issue if it's cold enough for long enough. Though they are easier to fix than a frozen septic line at sixty below zero. At those temps it's worth having a piece of foam insulation with a hole as a seat instead of the traditional porcelain seat...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2020, 02:59:41 PM »

Having trouble imagining this.  An illustration would help.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

Having trouble imagining this.  An illustration would help.

?

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »
Following on from this Deeply intellectual topic, I think it’s the done thing to throw lime into the pit latrine or petrol and burn .....I hate to admit that I studied a module on effluent in 96

Septic tank freezing? Add salt every 3 days during cold....or antifreeze....have I gone too far?....lol

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »
Following on from this Deeply intellectual topic, I think it’s the done thing to throw lime into the pit latrine or petrol and burn .....I hate to admit that I studied a module on effluent in 96

Septic tank freezing? Add salt every 3 days during cold....or antifreeze....have I gone too far?....lol

All of the above is entire antimustachian.  Build your latrine on hot springs or geothermal to save resources.