Author Topic: Hoping for Badassness with parking ticket  (Read 1505 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Hoping for Badassness with parking ticket
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Looking for anecdotes, guidance, what to expect.

I got a parking ticket for "expired registration".  It's only $15.  But maybe I can get out of it.

The license plate on the car at the time of the ticket was the plate from the previous owner. I recently transferred the title to my name, and paid for registration, and even got a new plate, but I hadn't  put the new plate on yet.

My main question is whether the parking ***hats can / will be able to type in the old plate number into their big brother database and discover that "aha, yavol, the title vas recently transferred to a slackmax smith at so and so address. Yah, ve will send him the bill, life is good with big brother to help us, no?"   

The ticket says "n/a" for VIN number. Maybe they took down the VIN anyway, don't know.

From searching the net, it seems 9 out of 10 cases like this don't get any relief, but there are one or two cases where a parking authority has waived the ticket if you produce proof that the car was actually registered, just had the wrong plate.

Anyone ever get a ticket like this waived?

Thanks,

Slackmax

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:24:53 AM by slackmax »

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hoping for Badassness with parking ticket
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
I have had several parking tickets that were total bullshit, and in several cases have appealed them.  Successfully.  I believe that the moral arc of the universe is long, but that if you write a firm, polite, fact-based letter you have excellent chances of justice. 

Of course you have to consider the value of your time.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
I'm more surprised that the previous owner let you drive around with his old plates. For every auto transaction I've been a party of, both buying and selling, the plates came off the minute the title was signed over.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Looking for anecdotes, guidance, what to expect.

The license plate on the car at the time of the ticket was the plate from the previous owner. I recently transferred the title to my name, and paid for registration, and even got a new plate, but I hadn't  put the new plate on yet.

So let me get this strait.  You are complaining about a $15 ticket that you got because of your own fault.  Why are you trying to get out of it.  Play the ticket and put the new plates on your car.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
I have had several parking tickets that were total bullshit, and in several cases have appealed
them.  Successfully.  I believe that the moral arc of the universe is long, but that if you write
a firm, polite, fact-based letter you have excellent chances of justice. 

Of course you have to consider the value of your time.

Update:  I called the Parking Authority office, and they said "come on down" and they would
"see what they could do", after I explained the situation.

Fearing a setup, I went anyway, thinking well, the worst it could be would be a $15 ticket.  Once I
got there, the tone was not as nice.  They wanted to fry me a bit before excusing the ticket,
 but excused it was ! I thanked the guy. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
You should have paid the ticket. You screwed up, you pay the consequences. Simple as that.