Author Topic: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.  (Read 61343 times)

moof

• Bristles
Re: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
It can also decelerate at a gut wrenching pace.

We all (mostly) suffer from recency bias during this last bull.

Being at 20X and having a bad market crash take you to 15X while you save 75% of your income will be an interesting feeling to say the least.
Just keep telling yourself you are buying low, you are buying low, you are buying low...

Roothy

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
Yes, it feels bad when you put in monthly contributions only to have them "disappear" the next day.... month after month.  That has happened to me a handful of times over my investing life, which started in 2005.  On the other hand, tax loss harvesting REALLY, REALLY helps with the psychology of it.  Or it did for me, anyway. 

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Yes, it feels bad when you put in monthly contributions only to have them "disappear" the next day.... month after month.  That has happened to me a handful of times over my investing life, which started in 2005.  On the other hand, tax loss harvesting REALLY, REALLY helps with the psychology of it.  Or it did for me, anyway.
I'm from the Netherlands and we don't have tax loss harvesting unfortunately. We do however have this rule where we pay 1% in taxes annually on any net worth above 25€k. So devaluation in stocks lead to a lower tax bill...

When the  inevitable downturn comes we will get a support topic going to keep us on track!

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »
At $60k/year and only looking a 401k/IRA

Feb-17 = 17 days
Sept-17 = 21.7 days
Oct-17 = 22.05 days
Dec-17 = 23.03 days

There should be a lot of changes in the next year; baby #2, SL paid off, new job (fingers crossed), DH company continue to grow, etc.  Some of these might not be so great for this number in the short term (baby #2, SL pay off) but we will see.  Hopefully, this number starts speeding up (increased contributions & compounding interest) because 0.5 days per month = an unacceptable  amount of work left for me.

At $60k/year and only looking a 401k/IRA.  Edited below to look at end of month instead of beginning of month.

Jan-17 = 17 days
Aug-17 = 21.7 days
Sept-17 = 22.05 days
Nov-17 = 23.03 days
Dec-17 = 23.71 days
15-Jan-18 = 24.54 days

I got the job and it came with a 30+% raise!  I won't be able to contribute to 401k for the 1st 30 days and will be on maternity leave shortly after that so this will probably not grow to much for the 1st half of 2018 but then I hope to see it pick up some pretty good steam!!

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
I wanted to check in on people and see how y'all are adjusting your spending rates when you do these calculations? I'm thinking of going back and charting my freedom days since 2007, but my spending has grown since then. Mostly inflation, grrrrr. But still it means i need to code each month with spending rates. Do y'all use one value for the year? or just back project current spending rates?

“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.”
― Robert Jordan, "New Spring"

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
I wanted to check in on people and see how y'all are adjusting your spending rates when you do these calculations? I'm thinking of going back and charting my freedom days since 2007, but my spending has grown since then. Mostly inflation, grrrrr. But still it means i need to code each month with spending rates. Do y'all use one value for the year? or just back project current spending rates?

Inflation is built into the 4% rule...  And lifestyle inflation is (used to be) facepunch worthy around here.  As such, you % complete towards FIRE number is your days free.

I'm doing it as a straight % of net worth goal times 365.

FIRE number of 1,000,000.  You have 250,000 = 25% 
25% times 365 = 91 days
91 days = April 1st

Thats the easy math that nets the same result.  (If you are using the 4% rule)
"The mathematical formula for the number of motorcycles you need is   x+1, where x is the number of motorcycles you currently have."

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
To build off your example.

Someone spending 40,000
Stash 250,000
FIRE number 1,000,000

So today they are 25% funded. But they can't retire. Let's say they work 10 more years before pulling the trigger. Let's assume 2% inflation /year so 20% total for 10 years (simple math). That means, without any lifestyle creep, this person needs to replace 48,000 of spending, not 40,000. And thus their stash target has grown to 1,200,000 also. If they have hit their 1,000,000 target, they are not 100% funded, but only 83%.

Basically, however many "freedom days" you've bought now, they loose purchasing power with inflation just like anything else. You're investments, will out pass it, but you still need to take into account the time order difference.
“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.”

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »

Someone spending 40,000
Stash 250,000
FIRE number 1,000,000

So today they are 25% funded. But they can't retire. Let's say they work 10 more years before pulling the trigger. Let's assume 2% inflation /year so 20% total for 10 years (simple math). That means, without any lifestyle creep, this person needs to replace 48,000 of spending, not 40,000. And thus their stash target has grown to 1,200,000 also. If they have hit their 1,000,000 target, they are not 100% funded, but only 83%.

Basically, however many "freedom days" you've bought now, they loose purchasing power with inflation just like anything else. You're investments, will out pass it, but you still need to take into account the time order difference.

I'm pretty sure the consensus on here is that you re-evaluate your fire number at least annually, based on your spending.  Also, most find that they spend less in retirement.  Since its extremely rare for inflation to beat out investment returns, its generally safe to say your investments will grow more, naturally from returns, than they lose to inflation.

Beyond that, If someone determines a fire number today and blindly follows it ten years down the road without ever re-analyzing...  I think they have bigger problems.

When you adjust your FIRE number, yes you might lose some days but those are days you gained 'for free' as your investments grew over the year, but I don't think crystal ball-ing inflation numbers is going to help.  And when you adjust your fire number, if its as small as 2% then we are talking about 7.3 days.  Once things start getting exponential, it'll make even less difference.

tl:dr  - If you adjust your fire number (for example, due to inflation), you adjust your 'days purchased' and 'cost of days' numbers as well.
"The mathematical formula for the number of motorcycles you need is   x+1, where x is the number of motorcycles you currently have."

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
My glorious cubicle calendar......in three years, only one person has asked me what it meant.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/msg1860531/#msg1860531

(I can't figure out how to link the picture here as it's sitting on a different computer)
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

18 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

CCCA

• Bristles
  • born before the 80's
    • Our projects
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:37 PM »
My glorious cubicle calendar......in three years, only one person has asked me what it meant.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/msg1860531/#msg1860531

(I can't figure out how to link the picture here as it's sitting on a different computer)

awesome!  here's the link if you want to put it in your post:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/?action=dlattach;attach=43208;image

by the way, I really like how you color coded when you achieved those dates.  It's great to see.
Check out some of our projects.

and the Financial Freedom Calculator.

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »
I like the color coding as well.

It's interesting to track the point where investment returns start being larger than what you are contributing to the stash.

CCCA

• Bristles
  • born before the 80's
    • Our projects
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Arebelspy had suggested I add a calendar view to the freedomcalculator and your picture inspired me to do it.
Here's the updated version.
http://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/#calendarupdate

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »

Being at 20X and having a bad market crash take you to 15X while you save 75% of your income will be an interesting feeling to say the least.

It must be scary to see your net worth dropping like a brick while still saving and trying to increase it. Because I've only been investing for the past 4 years there have only been a few minor dips in my portfolio but nothing major.

I'm old enough to have lived (and invested) through the dot-com crash in 2000 and the 2008 recession.  Yes it is gut wrenching but in the past it has always bounced back.  Hopefully, future crashes will also follow this pattern.

You are a small percentage of the forum I would guess.

I wonder how it would feel for someone who has only invested through a bull run to experience 2008 all over again, didn't stocks take ~4.5 years to return to pre crash valuations? That's a long time to wait for newer investors (mentally, in the long run if they keep investing their portfolio value should recover faster).

I'm in the later pool, my investing career only began in 2012, so I am curious to see how I react.
I'm older, and I've seen a lot. It's all a mindset. Train yourself now that you're not going to panic and you'll appreciate the effort later. The crash of 2008 greatly accelerated my progress because i kept steadily adding $$$ to my investments all the way down. When the market recovered (and it always does), my NW zoomed. I view the next inevitable downturn as a buying opportunity.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Arebelspy had suggested I add a calendar view to the freedomcalculator and your picture inspired me to do it.

Very very cool! Thanks for doing this!

CCCA

• Bristles
  • born before the 80's
    • Our projects
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

It must be scary to see your net worth dropping like a brick while still saving and trying to increase it. Because I've only been investing for the past 4 years there have only been a few minor dips in my portfolio but nothing major.

I'm old enough to have lived (and invested) through the dot-com crash in 2000 and the 2008 recession.  Yes it is gut wrenching but in the past it has always bounced back.  Hopefully, future crashes will also follow this pattern.

You are a small percentage of the forum I would guess.

I wonder how it would feel for someone who has only invested through a bull run to experience 2008 all over again, didn't stocks take ~4.5 years to return to pre crash valuations? That's a long time to wait for newer investors (mentally, in the long run if they keep investing their portfolio value should recover faster).

I'm in the later pool, my investing career only began in 2012, so I am curious to see how I react.
I'm older, and I've seen a lot. It's all a mindset. Train yourself now that you're not going to panic and you'll appreciate the effort later. The crash of 2008 greatly accelerated my progress because i kept steadily adding $$$ to my investments all the way down. When the market recovered (and it always does), my NW zoomed. I view the next inevitable downturn as a buying opportunity.

Not as old as Dicey, but I mostly didn't look at our investments in the crash.  But we were still saving about $40k/yr in automatic workplace retirements.  At one point in 2009, I think I finally took a look at the carnage and looked around.  Lots of stocks were on sale, including AAPL, which has increased 15x in the past 9 years. 

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »

Very cool!  Did you get my PM about how to update the URL when changing the field values?
"Overcoming the inertia of status quo since tomorrow"

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
Gained 2.5 days in less than a month.  Thank you very much market gains.  Less than 1 day was from savings, the rest market gains.

I've increased my estimated living expenses to 50k to give me more flexibility.  Was 40k. So new # of days of freedom = 34.15

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
  • 2 days until Freedom!
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2018, 05:53:19 AM »
I'm up to December 4th.  Getting close!!!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  TWO days; 2 classes

Slow&Steady

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
At $60k/year and only looking a 401k/IRA

Feb-17 = 17 days
Sept-17 = 21.7 days
Oct-17 = 22.05 days
Dec-17 = 23.03 days

There should be a lot of changes in the next year; baby #2, SL paid off, new job (fingers crossed), DH company continue to grow, etc.  Some of these might not be so great for this number in the short term (baby #2, SL pay off) but we will see.  Hopefully, this number starts speeding up (increased contributions & compounding interest) because 0.5 days per month = an unacceptable  amount of work left for me.

At $60k/year and only looking a 401k/IRA.  Edited below to look at end of month instead of beginning of month.

Jan-17 = 17 days
Aug-17 = 21.7 days
Sept-17 = 22.05 days
Nov-17 = 23.03 days
Dec-17 = 23.71 days
Jan-18 = 25 days

Started the job on Monday!  I won't be able to contribute to 401k for the 1st 30 days and will be on maternity leave shortly after that so this will probably not grow to much for the 1st half of 2018 but then I hope to see it pick up some pretty good steam!

Jaayse

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
April 14 - 66.9
July 24 - 72.32
October 1 - 85.18
November 1 - 89.49
December 1 - 91.60
January 1 - 94.16
February 1 - 99.53

I'm at April 10th now!  It feels really good to have more in investments than I owe on my condo (I don't include condo equity in this calculation).
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred ($4k spend in 3 months). I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/QCXVQ647S4
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

Scandium

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »

Someone spending 40,000
Stash 250,000
FIRE number 1,000,000

The (2 year old) OP also needs to account for the fact that each "freedom day" gets more expensive as time goes on and they get closer to FIRE, as there is less time for compounding. With zero years to compound, rather than 7, each freedom day would obviously cost 25x spending, so $1,700 rather than $1k.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I really liked this thread so I went ahead and made an interactive javascript calculator that makes the same calculations.  How many "freedom days" have you saved up?  I was trying to think of a cool visual for it and came up with sort of a speedometer thingy.

http://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/

Haven't popped by this thread in a while so I just saw this, and I really like it! Thanks for making it and sharing with us. I really enjoy playing with simple straightforward no-fuss calculators like this. :)

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
  • 2 days until Freedom!
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
I'm up to December 4th.  Getting close!!!

Now I'm at December 10th!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  TWO days; 2 classes

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »
This month, we made it all the way to May 10th. Almost five whole months so far. Feeling good.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #274 on: February 04, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
My current expenses are 36000/year (high because of city living). But, assuming same expenses post-FIRE and 7% ROI, I need 1650$ per freedom-day. So far:

59 days down.
306 days to go.

68 days down.
297 days to go.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

18 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

Roothy

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
This is insane:

I just did my monthly update of my "days bought" measure and... I bought FOURTEEN DAYS in the last month.  This market run-up has been *bonkers*.  That blistering pace cannot last, of course, but man it's nice while it does. 

I'm up to Nov. 4!

And on THIS monthly update, I'm down eleven days from last month.  Easy come, easy go.  Back down to October 25.

Oh well... I started measuring this exactly one year ago, and set what I thought was a pretty aggressive goal of increasing my savings (by contributions and compounding) by 4 days a month.  Over the last 12 months, I have increased it 5 days a month on average instead.  So no complaints here!

zeli2033

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
This thread/idea is awesome.

We are only up to January 13 but exciting to keep tracking this!

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
My current expenses are 36000/year (high because of city living). But, assuming same expenses post-FIRE and 7% ROI, I need 1650$ per freedom-day. So far:

59 days down.
306 days to go.

68 days down.
297 days to go.
70 days down.
295 days to go.

Jaayse

• Stubble
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
April 14 - 66.9
July 24 - 72.32
October 1 - 85.18
November 1 - 89.49
December 1 - 91.60
January 1 - 94.16
February 1 - 99.53
March 1 - 98.25
April 1 - 99.81

A bit of a back track in March and now moving forward again.
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred ($4k spend in 3 months). I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/QCXVQ647S4
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

Roothy

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Just did my monthly update of this metric.  I had planned, optimistically, to add 4 "endowed" days per month.  Call double that planned number a "big" move, and I get the following:

updated     days endowed     days moved since prior month

4/10/18     306 days             -8   down big
3/10/18     314 days             16  up big
2/10/18     298 days             -11 down big
1/10/18     309 days             14  up big
12/10/17   295 days             8    up big
11/10/17   287 days             3    up
10/10/17   284 days             9    up big
9/10/17     275 days             6    up
8/10/17     269 days             7    up
7/10/17     262 days             3    up
6/10/17     259 days             5    up
5/10/17     254 days             7    up
4/10/17     247 days             3    up
3/10/17     244 days             6    up
2/10/17     238 days             started keeping track

In short: volatility has really gone up, but I'm still steadily heading toward my goal.  I've averaged +4.9 days per month since I started keeping track a little over a year ago.  At this pace, I'll be done in a little over a year.

diapasoun

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »
Up 5 days so far this year. Not matching some of the big earners and advanced frugalists here, but it's progress and not shabby for a newb making five figures.

MoneyMouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »
I love this!

I just ran my numbers and, if I did it right, I have 15 days so far. That's a really lovely way of seeing it and I like the idea of a calendar at work! That'd really motivate me.

Just to be sure - how is everyone else calculating the return they're earning? I'd seen the 6.5% figure earlier in this thread and am going off that so far. Assuming I have a daily cost of $50/day and have $11,600 invested right now, does my math check out?
A Dragon in a Mouse's Clothing
a journal on the journey to FI

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
I'm now into March!

Canadian Ben

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »
Most people use whatever SWR they will use during FIRE. 4% is probably the most used.

diapasoun

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
I love this!

I just ran my numbers and, if I did it right, I have 15 days so far. That's a really lovely way of seeing it and I like the idea of a calendar at work! That'd really motivate me.

Just to be sure - how is everyone else calculating the return they're earning? I'd seen the 6.5% figure earlier in this thread and am going off that so far. Assuming I have a daily cost of $50/day and have $11,600 invested right now, does my math check out?

I'm not calculating a return on my earnings. I'm just using it as motivation right now -- how many days could I fund, RIGHT NOW, if I quit my job forever, irregardless of what those assets will look like in the future? So, I'm going simple:

-Cost of a forever day (for me calculated using a 3% withdrawal because I'm more conservative than many people on this forum), which is daily cost * 33.
-Liquid assets/cost of a forever day.

Is there anyone who is figuring the return in? Based on your math, MoneyMouse, I assume you are.

MoneyMouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
I'm not calculating a return on my earnings. I'm just using it as motivation right now -- how many days could I fund, RIGHT NOW, if I quit my job forever, irregardless of what those assets will look like in the future? So, I'm going simple:

-Cost of a forever day (for me calculated using a 3% withdrawal because I'm more conservative than many people on this forum), which is daily cost * 33.
-Liquid assets/cost of a forever day.

Is there anyone who is figuring the return in? Based on your math, MoneyMouse, I assume you are.

That makes sense as another way to calculate things.

I am, yes. There's the 7% figure from the OP, and the more conservative 6.5% from Jeremy E. I'm using the 6.5%.
A Dragon in a Mouse's Clothing
a journal on the journey to FI

londonbanker

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »
I love this too.

My cost of living is set at £70k a year in today’s money. With a SWR of 3.25% ( I am risk adverse, stash has to survive 40+ years, and I have 2 toddlers).

Each day of freedom costs me about £6k... so far I am free until mid August- need another 140days worth of savings!

CCCA

• Bristles
  • born before the 80's
    • Our projects
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »
I've updated the financial freedom calculator/calendar to allow you to toggle between the two views (calendar view and gauge view) and added a button which lets you generate the URL with your parameters so you can save your values and share with others.  Thanks to @Bird In Hand for the code example that helped me with the URL part of the update.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
Bought another forever day. Now up to 23 days for freedom! I think to stay on track I need to buy 2+ days a month. That's not happening at the moment but I expect that as my savings/investments grow the growth rate will increase and I'll be able to make up for the slower start.

23/365 days - 342 days to go!

StiffUpperLip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2018, 02:13:09 AM »
We're at 18 days so just starting out, but loving this way of visualising progress. Cheated a bit in not counting childcare costs in annual spending but feels reasonable as we won't be paying that once we're free!

Joining the crew with a stealth FIRE tracker I can console myself with while at work, and none the wiser! (Going to print my calendar and stick in the front of the bullet journal I use for work as it goes everywhere with me).

beedub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
34.25 days, or Feb 3 as of today. This number will be fun to watch as it starts snowballing. Not a ton of change over the past month.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk