Author Topic: I fixed the shit out of this!  (Read 5807 times)

starguru

• Pencil Stache
I fixed the shit out of this!
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Dryer kept running when the door was opened.  Wife wanted to replace the washer and dryer because they "are old" and we will be selling the house next year.

Quick interweb search leads to "door switch".  Quick YouTube search for a how-to leads to a video that works for my dryer.  $7 on amazon and two days of waiting for the new switch and it's done, easy as advertised.

Pic looks badass though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I fixed the shit out of this!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
Nice! It's amazing how conditioned we can be to just throw stuff out when it breaks instead of trying to fix it.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Its always weird to see how much / how little electronics are involved when you take the cover off an appliance

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »
Inspiring! If there's one takeaway from this whole topic it's "first step: google it"

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:42 AM »
I fix my own computers and electronics without any special training thanks to YouTube and search engines. It's amazing how much free information is out there. Congrats on your badass repair job!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
Nice! I've replaced a couple of dryer belts before, definitely beats dropping coin on a new one!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
Excellent fix! And yes it does look badass.

I think this needs to be one of those long threads like "What did you do today to save money?" :)

Bf and I fixed the car this morning (ok, mostly him). He called me from the road last night to let me know it was making a grinding sound (and what route he was taking...way to freak a girl out). He'd pulled off to look for obvious culprits but saw nothing, and no mechanical symptoms (brakes worked, wasn't pulling in a direction, etc.) After a quick googling I found that it might be a bent backplate/splashguard behind the rotors or a rock stuck in the same (though more serious issues requiring shop visit for us apartment-dwellers were also on our radar). We couldn't see anything last night by flashlight, but he took the wheel off this morning and we found the pebble! Maybe a quarter inch little bugger making ALL the racket. Bonus: I learned how to change a tire.

No big thing, but we all know there are those who'd head straight to the shop with any "weird noise" situation...

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
The door on my parent's dryer wouldn't latch, so Dad just stuck a large magnet in a nylon (to protect from scratches) and uses it to hold the door closed during the cycle.  Lots of easy fixes out there.  Good job!

LittleTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
Nice job! Looks like our dryer. Going to have to remember this post if ours breaks.
I actually think it's badass to have older units that just keep working. Our washer is so old it has a "wood grain" panel and lists replacing the fuses for trouble shooting suggestions.

Ishmael

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »
Nice work, OP! Not enough people think about fixing things anymore, especially since all products seem to be designed to have a single piece that is guaranteed to fail. Usually a plastic piece, in some critical location.

This reminded me me of the fix I had to do to our HE Kenmore front load washer - the rubber flange around the door had developed a hole, causing water to leak out all over the floor, and I went to the Sears store, where I was quoted $300+ for a new rubber flange. So I asked about fixing the existing one somehow, and the person said, no, no way to do it. I figured I have a patch kit that can fix a hole in a rubber dinghy, so why not give it a try - it wouldn't cost me anything except 20 minutes effort. I didn't expect it to last very long, but it's been 5 years now...

It's also the washer that I googled about an error code I was getting, and it wouldn't drain. Results suggested something might be caught in the drainage pump, so I followed the instructions, and sure enough there was a nail in it. Removed it, put it back together, and everything worked again.

So 2 fixes to a very overused and abused washer, both of which cost nothing. If I hadn't, I would have paid $350 for a rubber flange (that would have taken me longer to replace, too), and then bought a new washer at the cost of $1000 or so. So like OP illustrated, it pays to be a bit persistent.

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »
Kudos!! Very inspirational. I usually 'whisper' to the dishwasher -- you are encouraging same for dryer. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
Way to go ! Very impressive.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »
I always tell my husband that he's the most attractive to me when he fixes things around the house. The washer at our old house stopped draining and we researched that it was the motor. $100 and surprisingly little labor later and it was good as new. Sending big appliances to their graves before their time seems so environmentally irresponsible.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
Removed tub surround, replaced rotted drywall, installed cement board, re-installed tub surround, recaulked everything.

Hoses and valves for two leaking sinks.  One bathroom sink drain, with magnetic stopper.  Six light fixtures.  Lots and lots of spackling and painting.  An external hose faucet.

Being a landlord is "great" for learning new home repair skills.

What I did NOT fix the shit out of, and paid someone else to fix for me:  new carpet.

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
I always tell my husband that he's the most attractive to me when he fixes things around the house.

Very true! I told my boyfriend that he was super badass (and sexy ;) ) when he fixed the dishwasher. I try to be a handywoman, but I'm currently stuck at the level of replacing a faucet

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!