Author Topic: I finally did it  (Read 3524 times)

Timmmy

• Bristles
I finally did it
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
I finally rode my bike to work today.  Took ~25 minutes to go the ~4 miles.  I sweat way too easily so I had to keep reminding myself to not peddle too hard.  Now I get to stare at my beautiful money saving machine (bike) in my office all day. 

Need to get something to keep the water from spraying up off the tires on to me and I need to get a rack to tie some stuff on to so I don't have to wear a backpack. 

patricles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I finally did it
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
Way to go!  I've been bike commuting for years and never want to go back to cars (I'll do buses in winter).  You'll find it's a much more enjoyable and invigorating commute.  And bike fenders are a must to keep yourself dry and presentable.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
Try Sierra Trading post for the panniers.  We found good, waterproof panniers there for not too much money.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
I frequently carry a large amount of stuff back and forth from home and multiple work locations so biking can't be my main commuting method but I'll try to add as many days as possible.  It was refreshing to get out in the fresh air.  Especially after this long and miserably cold winter. 

Murdoch

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
Nice work.
Look up a product called an 'ass saver'.
It's a foldable plastic insert that goes into your bike seat and extends behind you. Prevents the bulk of water flicking up of the tyre onto your ass. Thus saving it.

They are cheap and can be inserted or removed when needed. I leave one on permanently. The bike that is.

Murdoch

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:26:05 AM »
I had more problems with stuff coming up off the front tire actually but I'll check in to it.  Thanks. 

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
Congrats, the first day is truly an awesome feeling. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
congrats!  i'm loving the michigan weather the past week.  You should get some fenders to keep yourself dry.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
Congrats, my bike commute is 4.5 miles and it takes me about 28-30 minutes. I need to start biking again. Thank you for the inspiration.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!