Author Topic: I converted my mom on Christmas  (Read 2110 times)

CindyBS

• Bristles
I converted my mom on Christmas
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
It took about a decade, but my mom is finally willing to not do X-mas presents for her children - we are all in our 40's.  My siblings and I stopped exchanging gift years ago.  My mom actually brought it up at Thanksgiving! 

There are 4 grandkids under 20, 2 are my kids.

My Christmas shopping has been whittled down to my kids, my niece and nephew - one gets a magazine renewal, and then I will give my parents 1 8x10 of a family photo we get taken each fall.  One of my sons has a special teacher in his life that goes above and beyond helping him with his disabilities so she will get a small gift.  My oldest is a teen and I think he would be fine if we just gave him money. 

Then my parents, siblings and I will make a donation to a charity in the each other's names. 

My kids will buy their grandparents a small gift each.

Sweet! 

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I converted my mom on Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
Well done! Cheers to a holiday season with less wasteful materialism.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
Great job!   I have got verbal agreement from my mom and sister to not do Christmas gifts for the family (all adults) this year.   

Now, I'm just worried that there will be secret gifts that they will buy and I will look ridiculous not bringing anything.

EfficientEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
That's awesome! Good work.  I've been pushing this for several years now but the grandparents always insist on having some sort of gift exchange.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
We stopped exchanging Christmas gifts some years ago, but this year I splurged on a house gift: a Charlie Brown Holiday Classics DVD (Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials on Blu-ray for $14). I know, I know, I can borrow it from the library or get it on Netflix DVD, but there's always a wait for it during the holidays, and I like to watch holiday movies when the mood strikes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
All the adults chip in to buy a gift for Grandma and Grandpa (Mom, Dad or both) and the Adults all swap names, the kids all swap names and the Godparents buy 1 gift for the God Children. Seems to work well since huge family.