Author Topic: I bought a big ass truck today! Share how you FIREd buying big ass trucks  (Read 7672 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
I'm interested in hearing how other people who own big ass trucks have FIREd.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I bought a big ass truck today! Share how you FIREd buying big ass trucks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
I used to have a bigass truck. It pulled my big ass trailer I have lived full time in the majority of the last 5 years. It allowed me to travel the country for work making 200k+ vs the significantly smaller amount I’d make sitting in one spot. For me - it was worth it. I’m currently in the process of selling my trailer (already sold the truck) as I’m on a longer term job. When this ends, will likely be back into the truck world and probably airstream world!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
I rented one once to get some 2x12s home for some foundation work. That saved me some money that I invested in VTI.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
Why would you invest in vti and rent trucks when you could own one. You've obviously never felt how good it is to own the truck and not pay some other guy rent.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
You may have a point there. I need to haul plywood/lumber/something about twice a year. If I had a truck, I wouldn't have to rent one at all.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
You may have a point there. I need to haul plywood/lumber/something about twice a year. If I had a truck, I wouldn't have to rent one at all.

I know and if you owned it outright think of all that money you could be saving instead of renting one each year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:46:49 AM »
How else would I carry my Vitamix blender back and forth from work?  What, you want me to eat non-blended food?  To chew things like an animal??  Is that even living???

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
Well, duh, everyone knows you have to drive a big truck for SAFETY reasons. Otherwise, how would other drivers see you? And in the winter, small cars just aren’t powerful enough to get over snow drifts. You’ve also got to make sure your truck has all wheel drive because SAFETY. And apparently, according to my friend, if you’re short, you need a truck because that puts you higher up so you can see better.

Obviously, having a big truck propels you towards FIRE by preventing accidents and giant medical bills.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
I have a Smart Car I bought used for $6,000. Does that count?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
I’m looking into purchasing a 2019 Ford F450 Lariat. It’s only $124k and would be a solid investment supporting American jobs. Plus I need the extra power and room for my commute. And the extra room in the bed is good for groceries and this one time I did need to move a couch so I think that it will help me on my other to FIRE by saving on the costs of renting on an as-needed basis because you know they mark up those daily rental fees. It’s insane.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »

no that does not count see the above post about safety -  i mean you can get that with a smart car.  you'd be squashed like a sardine.  i guess with a smart car you know if you get in a wreck its basically sure fire death unless you hit one of those awful bicyclers on the roads.  Nothing gets on my nerves more than driving down a road and getting stuck behind some guy on a bicycle what year is this 1851... may as well get out my horse and buggy going this speed.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 07:33:23 AM »
I’m looking into purchasing a 2019 Ford F450 Lariat. It’s only $124k and would be a solid investment supporting American jobs. Plus I need the extra power and room for my commute. And the extra room in the bed is good for groceries and this one time I did need to move a couch so I think that it will help me on my other to FIRE by saving on the costs of renting on an as-needed basis because you know they mark up those daily rental fees. It’s insane.

Lariat psshh dont they have the Platinum addition out now. pretty sure it comes with a house elf to feed me my steak and lobster i picked up at the local steak house while we cruise the backroads.  nothing better than burning some good ole hydrocarbons while driving around aimlessly eating steak and lobster. 

you just cant rent a truck you have to own it for the true feeling of greatness.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 07:57:42 AM »
You guys are a joke. Those are not big-ass trucks.

As a sultan, I demanded to have the very best, so I got this guy: https://www.fleetowner.com/equipment/fit-sultan-mack-builds-worlds-most-expensive-truck-ever

As a bonus, I can take my home to work, and then go home (in the parking lot) to eat lunch, saving me an extra 3 hours of commuting each day.

see we need more threads like these here or we'll never know how to FIRE like a true badass in a real truck.  look at all tha money you're saving not commuting.  and bonus it can pull my boat! man so glad i started this thread so i could get some support from like minded individuals. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
What is an ass truck? My truck is 42 years old and sorta smells like ass. Does that count? No point in a truck if you can't get it dirty.

ETA: We made a suboptimal decision by paying cash for this truck instead of taking a loan and investing the $2k :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:26:23 AM by MrsWolfeRN »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
What is an ass truck?

A truck used as a commuter vehicle, rather than for daily work hauling thousands of lbs of something manly.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:40 AM »

Only if you hauled it home in the back of your truck.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
I'm waiting for the Simpsons Canyonero to come out before buying a pickup. If I can't fit 30 of my closest friends in it, whats the point?

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Canyonero

The Canyonero is said to have space for over thirty passengers as well as the driver. Its specifications are described as approximately thirty-six feet in length, weighing sixty-five tons, and wide enough to fill two highway lanes.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
Fun Fact: the new F450 can tow over 24,000lbs of compensation

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
Not overly big, but of course is the nemesis of MMM.  Wrangler offroad this past weekend.  I also pull a snowmobile trailer when I need to haul anything big and plow snow with it in the winter.  I've only recently taken up this offroad hobby and it's doing a pretty fair job of using up all this pesky money I have hanging around.

Mine is the closer one with stock fenders and dirty wheels.

https://imgur.com/W2bjkMF
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:45:24 AM by Car Jack »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
Not overly big, but of course is the nemesis of MMM.  Wrangler offroad this past weekend.  I also pull a snowmobile trailer when I need to haul anything big and plow snow with it in the winter.  I've only recently taken up this offroad hobby and it's doing a pretty fair job of using up all this pesky money I have hanging around.

Mine is the closer one with stock fenders and dirty wheels.

https://imgur.com/W2bjkMF

awesome work congratulations keep up the good work! i know it gets tough at times out there but keep on trucking!

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »
I bought a big truck and used the money I saved from not having to rent a truck to prepay my mortgage.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
I invested in a small cap truck for $1500 and sold it for $1700, what a return on investment! If I invest in a large cap truck will my returns be even better?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
I bought a big truck and used the money I saved from not having to rent a truck to prepay my mortgage.

That's the best investment.

Boarder's head is going to explode if comments are held back.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
I invested in a small cap truck for $1500 and sold it for $1700, what a return on investment! If I invest in a large cap truck will my returns be even better?

Small caps have historically performed better but who cares....sell that bitch and pay down your mortgage.  BOOM maths!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
Guys can we please take the mortgage debate elsewhere. This is about buying big ass trucks to fire earlier.  I do like this notion of buying small cap trucks though for extra profits.

I've still yet to see any reason why buying big ass trucks are bad for FIRE. When I had my little ass car and hit a bicycler I was in the hospital. Now I can plow those heathens down like rows of corn. Pelaton here I come. Get outta the way.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
Thread reads like bro-dudes talking about how they wouldn't want to date some really hot woman because she "has pointy knees".

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
Thread reads like bro-dudes talking about how they wouldn't want to date some really hot woman because she "has pointy knees".

Pointy knees puncture my leather seats during the lap naps. Come on man. Don't you ever truck?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »
Yesterday I sold a Jeep that seems huge to me, but seems tiny next to the neighbor's trucks. Does that count?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 05:57:32 AM »
I desperately want to buy a MB G63 6x6 but can't find a dealer who'll accept my down payment. Need it ASAP to make South Tampa Sissy Prissy's in their MB GL450 and 'Scalades and whatever look insecure and insignificant.
Will also be making weekend money as Uber Super Black XXXL for NFL/NHL games.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
How else would I carry my Vitamix blender back and forth from work?  What, you want me to eat non-blended food?  To chew things like an animal??  Is that even living???
You can also fit your salad spinner in there too.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
Did you get mud flaps?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 04:10:41 PM »
Did you get mud flaps?

Totally worth it. When they dumped some fill off at my place last year, they spilled some in front of the house. Without mud flaps, there was splattered dirt for about, oh, 2-3 days.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Is this the "I've been drinking and shitposting" thread or something?

Presumably, self employed contractors hauling around a construction trailer might be relevant here.

Or people who make use of their truck to save a lot of money by hauling their own stuff/doing their own work.

You’ve also got to make sure your truck has all wheel drive because SAFETY.

I'd argue more, "resale value, and general usefulness."  Most pickups are pretty light in the back with nothing back there, which means fairly limited traction on the rear wheels (even dualies) in a lot of conditions.  Tossing it in 4WD for a few dozen feet is an awful lot more convenient than trying to dig out in the snow in 2WD, though if you put weight in the back in the winter, it helps.  Old tractor tires filled with sandbags are a pretty good weight, and I plan to keep my old tractor tires around when I get them replaced for exactly that reason.

Only if you hauled it home in the back of your truck.

Escape pod!

============

If you're going to own a large truck, keeping the costs and impact on FIRE low are pretty simple.  Buy an older one (they last a long, long time if well taken care of), and don't drive it much.  I put a few thousand miles a year on my truck ('97 F350, CCLB Diesel 4x4, so pretty large truck), but it's almost always either towing a trailer, or hauling materials.  If I'm not hauling stuff, I don't take the truck (often - sometimes I'll run it if it hasn't run in a while for a morning trip into town or something).  A battery tender or solar panel helps keep the battery charged.  I fully expect this truck to last the rest of my life, and I fully intend to, at some point, tow a 5th wheel around the country once we have more time on our hands.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 05:31:32 AM »

Only if you use it as a runabout and tow it with your giant-ass RV. I saw this at Dutch Wonderland back in 2009.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
You can also fit your salad spinner in there too.

Dizzy vegetables taste better.  That's science.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:19 AM »
Serious reply.... I bill it at 15 bucks an hour. 

If I drove a Prius, it would be difficult to get vehicle dollars out of my clients.  With a truck and 4 wheel drive (for the one part of their site that 1 x per year needs it) every procurement-troll I deal with may hassle me but "understands" why I need something and will agree to it.

I'll let you ladies run the numbers on how many years before its paid off on an amortized basis. Since the Big Mustache himself is an environmentalist, note that if you roll diesel there is a path to using no fossil fuels.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »

If I drove a Prius, it would be difficult to get vehicle dollars out of my clients.  With a truck and 4 wheel drive (for the one part of their site that 1 x per year needs it) every procurement-troll I deal with may hassle me but "understands" why I need something and will agree to it.

I'll let you ladies run the numbers on how many years before its paid off on an amortized basis. Since the Big Mustache himself is an environmentalist, note that if you roll diesel there is a path to using no fossil fuels.

now is this a big ass truck or just a regular truck?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
every procurement-troll I deal with may hassle me but "understands" why I need something and will agree to it.

I bet they will pay you double if you get it lifted and hang some big truck balls off of the trailer hitch.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
Truck Nutz.

Not "Truck balls."

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »
Truck Nutz.

Not "Truck balls."

I defer to your superior knowledge of male insecurity.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »

now is this a big ass truck or just a regular truck?

Thats an interesting question. In the SF-Bay area some used to consider my old Tacoma a "Big Rig".  To get diesel, I had to get a 3/4 ton truck (F-250 or Chevy/Ram 2500), so I would assume that  applies as big assed.  (yes this has changed, a bunch of half ton trucks now have diesel options that the companies will even rate for biodiesel use)

A half ton, say F-150 or 1500,  would bill the same as an F-250.  A ranger or Tacoma, for billing purposes, gets lumped in with the Prius.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »

Only if you use it as a runabout and tow it with your giant-ass RV. I saw this at Dutch Wonderland back in 2009.

We used to stop there all the time when I was a kid! We lived in Philadelphia and my paternal grandparents were in York, so it was right on our way.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Truck Nutz.

Not "Truck balls."

I wonder if they have truck uteruses for women truckers, just so they can prove their femininity. And would they come with fallopian tubes and ovaries, or would those be an add-on?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »

We used to stop there all the time when I was a kid! We lived in Philadelphia and my paternal grandparents were in York, so it was right on our way.

It's a great place for kids. Clean, cheap, and you can camp right next door. We went there a few times when my daughter was younger.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Love the sound of swampers going down the interstate at 80 mph! After all, no real man would drive less than 80...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
Truck Nutz.

Not "Truck balls."

I wonder if they have truck uteruses for women truckers, just so they can prove their femininity. And would they come with fallopian tubes and ovaries, or would those be an add-on?

There is no sexual equality to be found in hanging genitals from my research.  There is however, truck/bike equality:

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
I assume this is some kind of troll or sarcastic post but I actually did FIRE earlier because I bought a big ass 2002 F250 for $7500. I fix and flip motorcycles for fun and profit. They usually don't run when I buy them, therefore I need a truck to pick them up. Also I haul other big stuff with it all the time. Also I have a camper that fits onto it and my wife and I have lived in it for months at a time while we explored the Western states and had an amazing time, rarely paid for a campsite. I rented the truck and camper out for Burning man twice for a total of $3500. It gets 20 mpg on the highway when empty but I never drive it empty (have an economy car for transportation).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
Truck Nutz.

Not "Truck balls."

Have you seen the Dodge logo?

Lol @ bike nuts. I do actually own a set of those because it was too awesome not to support.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
I assume this is some kind of troll or sarcastic post

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
I will, but I'm waiting until they make a model that I need to put in a physical quarter to go every 1/8th mile (quarter: one of those round shiny things worth 0.25 of a US dollar). Also it must serve me a free alcoholic drink every hour or so. And smell like cigarettes instead of new truck smell. That way I can feel like I'm in a casino, except that I'm winning because I'm in a big ass truck.