Author Topic: How old is your phone?  (Read 22414 times)

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
Re: How old is your phone?
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
My first phone I used for 4 years. (2004 - 2008), and I still have it somewhere if I need a backup phone.
I've repaired various phones (for me and others) by replacing charging ports or something similar. With older phones and smartphones it isn't too difficult. New phones are all glued and annoying to repair.

Last year I upgraded because my old smartphone was too slow. This is my fourth phone, so on average I use my phones for 3.25 years. I expect to use my current phone for at least another 3 years and it was relatively cheap (€170).

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:33 AM »
iPhone 5S, bought used, so about 4+ years old.  Seems to be going fine, no reason to upgrade for now. 

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
I replaced my 2 year old Nexus 5x last month with a Moto x4, which replaced a 3 year old galaxy nexus in order to switch to Fi. I'd rather have held the 5x longer, but too many other folks are having the bootloop issue.

I can report the x4 isn't a bad replacement for the 5x. Almost identical in size, but slippery and heavy due to the glass back. I'd love to get a modern chipset/OS in a galaxy nexus form factor -- that little nub at the bottom made it easy to fish out of my pockets and easy to hang on to. (I also miss slightly bulging laptop batteries like the EEE PC 901's -- battery and convenient carry handle!)

How is the camera on the x4? All the reviews say it is a great phone except for the camera. That is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about upgrading. Curious to hear your opinion - picture quality, speed to take pictures, speed to open.

Before you go and replace a perfectly operational and barely two year old flagship phone because of the easily remedied but annoying default software configurations... maybe give the links I gave you once already a look and try. Again...
Some one talk me into or out of this purchase!

Squeeze more life from your Android phone.

Use Open Camera, and turn on HDR.

Tadaa!

There's nothing wrong with your camera sensor, the problem is the default Android camera app. There's loads of complaints about the stock camera app on the 5x taking forever to load and operate, and the consensus is to replace it with a third party app, with most recommending Open Camera - which is regarded as one of the best third party camera apps available on Android, and typically captures far better pictures with its default settings than the stock camera app, never mind how much better its HDR processing is over stock as well. Problem solved without spending a dime and generating further needless electronics consumption and waste!

There's also nothing wrong with your phone, Android's eyecandy is just getting bloated and out of control. Follow the instructions from FINate's link in the other thread, and you'll find your phone to be far snappier. Again, problem solved without spending a dime and generating further needless electronics consumption and waste!

Relax brosef. You'll live longer.

No need to freak out or repeat your post. I did take your advice when first offered. I turned all the animation settings off in Android. While it does help, it doesn't solve all the problems. The interface is more usable, but apps are still bloated and laggy.

I downloaded Open Camera, and I'm not impressed. I think it actually takes longer to load than the default app. Pictures snap quicker, but then they need processed before I can take another so the total picture-picture time is about the same as default. You can't fix shitty hardware with better software.

I'm still on the fence. Just curious in the different options. And I like to discuss capability of electronics - even if I'll never own them.

Also, the 5X was never a flagship. It was a mid-range below the 6P.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

No need to freak out or repeat your post. I did take your advice when first offered. I turned all the animation settings off in Android. While it does help, it doesn't solve all the problems. The interface is more usable, but apps are still bloated and laggy.

I downloaded Open Camera, and I'm not impressed. I think it actually takes longer to load than the default app. Pictures snap quicker, but then they need processed before I can take another so the total picture-picture time is about the same as default. You can't fix shitty hardware with better software.

I'm still on the fence. Just curious in the different options. And I like to discuss capability of electronics - even if I'll never own them.

I'm so very sorry, I thought you simply missed my first post and I wanted to make sure you saw it. Given your response and your previous posts, however, a couple things have become clear....

You're in the wrong community if you want someone to help you justify needlessly wasting more money, and you're trying to do everything you can to do that, including twisting the very fabric of reality to diminish what you already have to make the justification to replace easier - after all, you claim the 5x was never a flagship device and have convinced yourself that the camera sucks. (Guess what? Anything designated as a Nexus device IS a flagship phone according to Google, and the camera hardware is still some of the best available in a non-iOS-based smartphone.) If you can't be happy with a 5x and make it work, you may want to reconsider your relationship with your device, your money, and the world you live in... because nothing will be good enough for you.

I was happy to help you iron out the software kinks since you had asked for help (and the problems are software, not hardware... though I wouldn't rule out user problems at this point), but it's becoming obvious by your language and response that you don't actually appear to be after real help. Thanks for wasting my time and the finite resources of this world to satisfy your impatient hedonic technolust. I want to be wrong about this, so please prove me wrong.

Be less wasteful and selfish, brosef. The world will be better for it.

EDIT: I'm publicly apologizing for crossing a line. I should not have responded in kind to an effort of needless public shaming and antagonism by an individual with more public shaming and antagonism. I cannot undo the damage, but I can apologize for it and make a concerted effort not to do it again. The strike through text was unnecessary for my point and crossed that line from response dealing with clearly made statements to retaliation, and it betrayed my own heart and its desire to help. I am sorry for doing it, and want to publicly apologize not only to BrandNewPapa for doing it, but to the rest of the community as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:40:55 AM by I.P. Daley »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »
Samsung Galaxy S4 -  The phone is from 2013 but I got it from a friend for $50 that upgrades each year to the latest / greatest phone. It replaced my iphone 4 that went through the wash and died otherwise I would probably still have that one.

He takes super good care of his stuff and it looked like new, came with the box and all of the original items, a nice little case that had a kick stand and an extra battery.

I would like to switch to google Fi but the Samsung phone still looks like new and works perfectly fine so it is hard to plunk down $$$ for a Fi compatible phone.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »

I'm so very sorry, I thought you simply missed my first post and I wanted to make sure you saw it. Given your response and your previous posts, however, a couple things have become clear....

You're in the wrong community if you want someone to help you justify needlessly wasting more money, and you're trying to do everything you can to do that, including twisting the very fabric of reality to diminish what you already have to make the justification to replace easier - after all, you claim the 5x was never a flagship device and have convinced yourself that the camera sucks. (Guess what? Anything designated as a Nexus device IS a flagship phone according to Google, and the camera hardware is still some of the best available in a non-iOS-based smartphone.) If you can't be happy with a 5x and make it work, you may want to reconsider your relationship with your device, your money, and the world you live in... because nothing will be good enough for you.

I was happy to help you iron out the software kinks since you had asked for help (and the problems are software, not hardware... though I wouldn't rule out user problems at this point), but it's becoming obvious by your language and response that you don't actually appear to be after real help. Thanks for wasting my time and the finite resources of this world to satisfy your impatient hedonic technolust. I want to be wrong about this, so please prove me wrong.

Thanks for completely judging someone you don't know anything about.

My footprint on the world is smaller than 95+% of Americans. Virtually Everything I do in my life is optimized to reduce my impact. So far this year I have I have spent precisely zero dollars on non-essential "things" for myself.

Sorry for wanting to have a good camera to capture memories of my daughter. Clearly you've never used a 5x yourself.

Everything is best in moderation, including frugality.

Not sure why you feel the need to go on a personal attack. Maybe you should look inward to yourself and ask why you're so insecure about another person on the internet.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
My phone is two weeks and one day old.  Only issue I have with it is that when I hold down the camera button, the camera doesn't pop up fast as expected.

Road2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
Have a 16GB iPhone 5S and believe I got it in Dec 2013.  Still works well but the battery sure does drain fast.  Would like to upgrade at some point, but not really interested in buying another phone and will never lease one.  Phone prices have gotten out of hand.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
My iPhone 4 will be 7 years old in about a month.

I've run into a few problems with apps no longer supporting the os and the camera isn't nearly as good as it was out of the box. I'd like to get something with a better camera to take better quality pictures of our baby out and about but I could also always remember to pack my actual camera.
I still have this phone but now it only works as a phone in speaker mode so I think it is time to replace it.

Talk me down from getting the new iPhone!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »
Samsung S6

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »

Thanks for completely judging someone you don't know anything about.

My footprint on the world is smaller than 95+% of Americans. Virtually Everything I do in my life is optimized to reduce my impact. So far this year I have I have spent precisely zero dollars on non-essential "things" for myself.

Sorry for wanting to have a good camera to capture memories of my daughter. Clearly you've never used a 5x yourself.

Everything is best in moderation, including frugality.

Not sure why you feel the need to go on a personal attack. Maybe you should look inward to yourself and ask why you're so insecure about another person on the internet.

My boyfriend has a 5x and sometimes I feel like the camera is faster than on my 6p. I haven't done any comparisons though. I'm sure it's not as good as a new flagship phone of course.

In the mean time there could be something you can help do to speed things up specifically with the camera while you still have the 5x. Is it still slow if you boot into safe mode? Other apps could be slowing the phone down. What about if you disable HDR or pick a lower picture size? Turning off HDR is a HUGE difference in taking pictures faster on my 6p. With HDR on, the pictures take forever to snap and after a few pictures I can't even take another until those process.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
I've also been thinking of moving us to Fi (really wish they had more inexpensive options) or RW soon to save $ in the long run vs Verizon.
Actually, we qualify for the T-Mobile Unlimited 55 plan so we can use nearly all the data we want if desired for only $30/mo/line total. Haven't found anything else anywhere close to that.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
about 18 months, I average about 3-3.5 years per phone ever since the Galaxy S1.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
Just replaced an S4 with an S8. It was the cheapest option with more than 16GB on board memory. Old phone had cracked screen, weak battery, wonky USB port, and apps kept filling the memory and making it slow. If any 1 of these was the problem, I would have fixed it and kept it.

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Google Pixel 1.  About 6 months.  I replaced my Samsung Galaxy 4S after having already replaced a broken screen, broken power button, broken charger port, and getting a new battery over the years.  In the end, it was getting wicked slow and every couple months, I would have to get increasingly creative in how to delete files/apps to free up memory for software upgrades.  There was SO much bloat-ware on that thing.  Hopefully the Pixel will last me 4-5 years.  So far, it's great.