Author Topic: How old is your phone?  (Read 22412 times)

Merdox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How old is your phone?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
One of my proudest mustachian traits is that I hold on to stuff forever. I'm happy to boast that I remain the proud owner of an iPhone 4s I got in 2011. Still works just fine, though I replaced the battery last year (myself of course).

And while I'm bragging, my personal laptop is an ASUS I got in 2009 for around 3-400 bucks. And yes, I relish in the horrified reactions I get whenever revealing these facts to muggles. 😝

Noremak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2017, 12:17:20 PM »
3.5 year old 1st generation Moto G. Super solid phone, but I'm constantly running out of space on it. Not willing to drop cash on a new one when this one does what I need it to.

AmyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:04 AM »
2013 LG Optimus Fuel from Page Plus. I've actually had a Samsung Galaxy S4 (also Page Plus) since I got the LG, and then went back to the LG - it was far more reliable. I also have an iPod Touch 5 that I got like five years ago and that I use for Things Other People Use Their Smartphones For. I don't think I'll get rid of the LG until it stops working. And I don't think it will every really stop working.

JohnWC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
I have a Note 3 going on 4 years old. Spec wise it's on par with a mid range large screen phone of today so it's not really worth upgrading. There aren't really a lot of "must have" new features out there. I just did a factory reset on the thing which has straightened out some slowness issues I was having. I have had several problems over the years, all easily fixed:

* I drowned the phone once riding a motorcycle through a rainstorm. 24 hours of the phone sitting in a bag of rice fixed it - popped the battery back in and has been working for 2 years beyond that day
* The original battery was discharging with only 6 hrs of use. I bought a 2 pack of batteries for $25 and can swap them as needed. The back pops right off and the battery can be changed in about 10 seconds. Just try that with an iPhone.
* The original microphone started crapping out and not working - also had some charging issues, both part of the same module. I googled around, identified the bad part, and bought a replacement on amazon for $6. About 20 minutes with a small JIS screwdriver and plastic pry bar had that part swapped out and working ever since. This is a very easy phone to work on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:13:19 PM by JohnWC »

mre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:39 PM »
I've got a set of 4 cordless handsets made by Uniden, from 2011, when I bought my house.  One for each floor and one for the detached garage.  They were $50 (refurbished from Best Buy).  6 years later they still work perfectly with the original batteries.

My only complaint is that I lose reception when I am 20 feet from my mailbox (which is 300ft away from the house).  But that obviously has not motivated me to look for a longer range option.

HildaCorners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional Polymath
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
2010 vintage Optimus V, purchased Spring 2011. Still going strong, though the OS is woefully out of date.

Tech gadgets like me ... I can keep most of them going a surprisingly long time. I really like the size of this phone (smaller than an iThing SE); it fits into woman's pockets! I want to keep it going until I can replace it with another small phone.

The V is for Virgin mobile, my carrier before I switched to Ting. I actually held off on switching until Ting would support my phone.

Every so often it starts acting up, and I worry it is dying. The last time, it wouldn't take a charge ... then I checked the charger socket and pulled out a frighteningly large amount of lint! It charges fine now.

By the way, to the people who think they "won" with the newest phone ... this is Mustache Land, the winner has the oldest working phone. Lowest cost per use!

Quint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »
I guess mine is close to 3 years old.  My wife asked me a few weeks ago why I didn't get a new one and I said why would I do that if nothing is wrong with this one?  To her credit she's been using hers for nearly 2 years now with a cracked screen.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
My phone is two years old. It was a gift. My computer is a Dell laptop that's five years old. Also a gift. I also regularly use an iPod that's eleven years old. Also a gift. I hate buying things and I have a tendency to just keep repairing and using stuff forever until family and friends are so scandalized by my ancient technology that they give me stuff for free. It's kind of funny.

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
Wow I came in here to post that I proudly use an old Samsung S5, but you guys have me beat by a mile.  My tablet is an Amazon Fire I bought on Black Friday a couple years ago for $35, at least.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
Sadly, I recently had to replace my poor, old pocket computer. I have been living off other people upgrading and throwing their old phones at me for most of my life, with my record being 7 years for a second generation iphone that lasted me all through uni and beyond. One of the newer upgrades I got turned out to be a dud after half a year, and I didn't want to spend 100+ on fixing it, so I actually ended up buying a new (gasp) phone for the first time in my life a few years ago. I was looking for a used one, but a guy had won a phone in a competition and didn't need it, and was selling it for a good deal under the market value. So I figured, why not?

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Oops... I have a three year old iPhone 6. But I like to redeem myself by mentioning that I pay €7,50 per month. I don't stream video's or use a lot of data in any other way and I'm not a lengthy talker.

jordanp123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
It'll be two years old this coming September. It's a Motorola Pure Edition, which thanks to the sale to Lenovo hasn't been receiving some of the software updates that were promised so I ended up just installing a Custom rom on the thing. Replaced the battery in it, did it myself, about two months or so ago, the old one was really showing its age. 

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
I'm proud to say I tote a brand new $900 pocket computer. Luckily it's provided by work and we get a new phone every 2 years.

If I were on my own it'd be a used Nexus 6 on Project Fi cell service.

liveitupoutdoors

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
I have an old iPhone 4S that was given to me almost 3 years ago (my first cell phone!) by a friend that got a "free" upgrade.  Replaced the battery once, but now it works just fine!

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Still with an iPhone 6. Works completely fine and does everything I need it for.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
Just bought an $50 iPhone 5S since they have it on sale at Walmart. Bummer that we can not really use it with our carrier Tmobile, but works fine with making a call via wifi using Google Hangout. We can use it at home and plenty of places offering free wifi so we can make free calls outside of home, and I still have my old prepaid phone too when we can not find free wifi. Hopefully the battery in my old phone will last longer if I do not use it as often.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »
I got an LG G4 two years ago.

I was almost spared the fried-screen problem apparently too common to LG G4s, until ONE DAY before my warranty expired, which I discovered by calling them. I then took a detour from work and got it done that day and got my current LG G4, which is only a year old now, for $0. Yay.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Moto E gen 1.  Three years old.  Republic wireless.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Nokia Windows phone. I think 7 or 8 years old. Still running fine, but battery does not last more than 24 hr. I been looking for another phone in the past year, just do not want to spend the money lol

You could probably just replace the battery yourself and keep the phone even longer if you are satisfied with it. I go on ifixit.com all the time for repair instructions and get my parts off eBay or Amazon. Saves a lot of money.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »
Nokia Windows phone. I think 7 or 8 years old. Still running fine, but battery does not last more than 24 hr. I been looking for another phone in the past year, just do not want to spend the money lol

You could probably just replace the battery yourself and keep the phone even longer if you are satisfied with it. I go on ifixit.com all the time for repair instructions and get my parts off eBay or Amazon. Saves a lot of money.

I did looked into this. This phone is sealed like iPhone. It does not have a cover that I can pop open and pull out the battery.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »
I have an IPhone 5s, four years old, it's still going but it's starting to freeze occasionally and the battery doesn't last a day but I got a battery case for $10 on eBay that keeps it going for the whole day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
5 years-ish.

Galaxy S4 bought new through Sprint in 2012.

Migrated it to Ting a few years ago when I realized I was hemorrhaging money on cell service. Still going strong. Has issues with a sticky power button now and then, but it's been rock solid otherwise.

Looking at new phone specs and features (more memory, faster processor, bigger screen, more camera megapixies, other gimmicks), I don't really see anything that makes me want to upgrade. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »

I did looked into this. This phone is sealed like iPhone. It does not have a cover that I can pop open and pull out the battery.

If there was a way to put it together, then there is a way to take it apart. Trust me on this. I repair Apple products all the time and they always try to design them so you can't repair them at home. Other manufacturers do the same in the hopes that you will throw your device away when it is damaged and buy a new one. Don't fall for their consumerist sorcery!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
If there was a way to put it together, then there is a way to take it apart. Trust me on this. I repair Apple products all the time and they always try to design them so you can't repair them at home. Other manufacturers do the same in the hopes that you will throw your device away when it is damaged and buy a new one. Don't fall for their consumerist sorcery!

I am sure there is a way. I am not disputing this. But I am not sure I can do it. Some people are not good at playing with little electronics.

Wow you are hardcore for calling me falling to consumerist sorcery when I am using an 8 yr old phone...

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »

I am sure there is a way. I am not disputing this. But I am not sure I can do it. Some people are not good at playing with little electronics.

Wow you are hardcore for calling me falling to consumerist sorcery when I am using an 8 yr old phone...

I'm using an 11 yr old iPod. Why throw it away when you can repair it and keep using it? We pay so much for this stuff when we buy it so it makes great financial sense to get as much usage out of it as possible.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
My phone is about thirty years old.  It replaced the 60 year old phone we were using when they started charging more for rotary service.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »
I'm using an 11 yr old iPod. Why throw it away when you can repair it and keep using it? We pay so much for this stuff when we buy it so it makes great financial sense to get as much usage out of it as possible.

Good for you for using 11 yr old iPod, but that does not means everyone should use 11 yr old iPod. Any item (car, bike, iPod, cell phone whatever), at some point, it reach a time when it does not make sense to repair it.

IMO my 8 year old windows cell phone is one of those item. It has old OS that has not been not updated for ages. Newer cell phones bring a lot of things to the table that is useful for me, so I choose to replace it. No, I did not pay so much for this phone so for me, it does not make a great financial sense to not replace.

End of the line for this convo for me. I do not want this to turn into long discussion why I do this and you think I should not do it. I was just sharing what I did, and was not expecting any reply tbh. Too bad if you disagree. Deal with it. The thread is to share how old your phone is, so lets go back to that.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

Good for you for using 11 yr old iPod, but that does not means everyone should use 11 yr old iPod. Any item (car, bike, iPod, cell phone whatever), at some point, it reach a time when it does not make sense to repair it.

IMO my 8 year old windows cell phone is one of those item. It has old OS that has not been not updated for ages. Newer cell phones bring a lot of things to the table that is useful for me, so I choose to replace it. No, I did not pay so much for this phone so for me, it does not make a great financial sense to not replace.

End of the line for this convo for me. I do not want this to turn into long discussion why I do this and you think I should not do it. I was just sharing what I did, and was not expecting any reply tbh. Too bad if you disagree. Deal with it. The thread is to share how old your phone is, so lets go back to that.

Just trying to help. You may want to switch to decaf.

ATR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
3 years, 2 months and counting (IPhone 5s)

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II, that I have had since 2012. 

It still works relatively well, but the battery has been having issues for a while and it locks up occasionally, (DHs phone locks up a bit more frequently).  However, full disclosure, we tried to upgrade our phones last year to the Note 7s, which, you may recall was a bit of a disaster.  My DH was so disappointed, (he is a new tech gadget guy), but I actually managed to convince him to keep our old Notes until the next one is released.  So now we are both limping along waiting for the release of the Note 8, which now appears to be around the time of our vacation (again) which means that he will want to upgrade before we go, while I would rather wait, since I think that taking a brand new phone is a recipe for disaster and if I lose or destroy a phone, I would prefer it to be the old one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:03:26 PM by SunshineAZ »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Under a month. Last phone was stolen :(

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
Nexus 4 since May of 2013. Has developed some minor annoyances...randomly shuts off, power button is sometimes unresponsive, won't update apps quite often due to insufficient storage. Videos often freeze it up, and the battery doesn't make through a day anymore. Considered replacing last year but Google went upscale with the Pixels, and I had auto problems. Pleasantly surprised it's held on for another year. I might spring for a Oneplus5 this fall.

dreampreneur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic from 2009. It has updated maps in the Garmin navi app, synchronizes with memotoo (PIM data service) so I can edit my calendar and notes in Firefox. It has also stereo speakers and survives a week of normal using without being charged. It has a 3.2 mpix camera (enough for ebay). And the best apps are now abandonware i.e. free to have.
Best phone ever made.

jo552006

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
@cwadda,

Where did you find an iphone SE for $150?  I have some motorola droid thing, thas newer than my iphone 4 was but this thing is awful.  Every motorola droid I've tried sucks.  I'm just too cheap to buy a phone knowing I'm gonna drop it, maybe into water at some point.  I don't think new phones were designed to live in pockets of active individuals.

As a side note, does anybody worry over buying used phones?  I trust certified refurbished, but what if somebody installed something malicous.  Does a factory reset truly guarantee it is like new?  Should I only trust used phones from people I know?

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
I have a Samsung S8+.  Not very old, but still frugal.  My work contract for new phones is one year.  I sell my one year old phone for the same or more than what I buy a new discounted phone.

J.Milly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »
I have a 2.4 year old Iphone 6S (or regular 6 i dont remember). Either way it fell of of contract about 3 or 4 months back bringing my bill down by 34%. So happy to not have that amortized cost tacked on anymore. Of course I told me coworkers this and they said its time to buy a new phone instead of saving the extra hundreds a year.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »
IPhone 4 3g i think. I know the 3G is correct. I got it in Nov 2011 because I was on R&R and my previous cell phone had to be plugged into an outlet for any sort of power so at the airport i was looking for outlets to make my calls. Think of it as an advanced cord phone.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a used Pixel.

I have a Nexus 5X, which is a great phone, but after the Android Oreo update, its become super laggy. In addition, the camera is very slow and lower quality. I feel like I'm missing great photos of my daughter because of it.

I found a "new in box" Pixel phone for $425 locally. There are a bunch of Swappa for about the same. Just seems like a bundle to spend on "not new" phone.

I paid $249 for my nexus about 14 months ago. I could sell if for $115-$150 right now.

I'm stuck with the Pixels or the Moto X4 since I'm on Fi.

Some one talk me into or out of this purchase!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »

Squeeze more life from your Android phone.

Use Open Camera, and turn on HDR.

Tadaa!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:28:01 AM by I.P. Daley »

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a used Pixel.
Been thinking the same. My current phone is a 5 year old Droid Razr M. I should really try a custom ROM on it (since I specifically got one that I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) to see how Android 6 or 7 works on it vs. 4.4.2 because I don't really want a larger phone, but I've also been thinking of moving us to Fi (really wish they had more inexpensive options) or RW soon to save $ in the long run vs Verizon.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
My phone is from 2000.  It is not a cell phone.

Wait for it, though.  Someone will have a rotary one.

We have a 'flip phone,' $5 /mo. It is for emergencies only, away from home.
Our home phone is one of those that's tied to the wall. It's new though, the old one did not have the 'call block' button. I suspect it does things we don't even know about!

I guess it's a 'dumb phone.' I don't want a phone that's smarter than my husband I am
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:13:47 PM by TheWifeHalf »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
Been thinking the same. My current phone is a 5 year old Droid Razr M. I should really try a custom ROM on it (since I specifically got one that I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) to see how Android 6 or 7 works on it vs. 4.4.2 because I don't really want a larger phone, but I've also been thinking of moving us to Fi (really wish they had more inexpensive options) or RW soon to save $ in the long run vs Verizon.

There are way more options to save money than just GoogleFi and Republic Wireless.

On the Verizon MVNO end? Maybe give Selectel, US Mobile and Red Pocket a look.

IIRC, you can also do an NV edit and a little technical wizardry on the XT907 to enable 850/1900MHZ UMTS/3G GSM network access as well, which opens up the option for AT&T MVNOs on the device such as Puretalk USA, Consumer Cellular, Red Pocket (again) and H2O Wireless.

Talk about being wasteful... anyone who feels it necessary to replace a perfectly usable mobile just to save money on their cellphone bill is doing it wrong. You have options. Use them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:17:23 PM by I.P. Daley »

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
iphone 5, I plan to use it till it conks out. My coworker still uses a iphone 3. He tried a newer phone, didn't like it, and went back to the 3.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
On the Verizon MVNO end? Maybe give Selectel, US Mobile and Red Pocket a look.

Talk about being wasteful... anyone who feels it necessary to replace a perfectly usable mobile just to save money on their cellphone bill is doing it wrong. You have options. Use them.

Well, it's definitely getting long in the tooth likely because apps are becoming so bloated. I use very few but it lags quite a bit. Finally wiped my cache recently which helped a little but still frustrates me. Hence, why I thought maybe try a custom ROM first. Even though I unlocked it I have remained on the OEM after deleting the bloatware.

Do all these MVNOs you mention allow tethering and usage of all short codes? Years ago when I looked at MVNOs, those features were not normally offered. Couldn't find anything on Selectel's site or TOS regarding either of those 2 requirements.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Well, it's definitely getting long in the tooth likely because apps are becoming so bloated. I use very few but it lags quite a bit. Finally wiped my cache recently which helped a little but still frustrates me.

Start here:

Hence, why I thought maybe try a custom ROM first. Even though I unlocked it I have remained on the OEM after deleting the bloatware.

If you do try an alternate ROM (and you're due for it at this point), give Resurrection Remix a try - really light builds, quite stable. No official builds for the XT907 (as there aren't any from LineageOS, either), but DiamondJohn over at XDA has what looks like a pretty solid current RR/7.1.2 Nougat build. I would tweak the governor for the sake of battery charge longevity, however, as the default CPU speed is overclocked... a lot... like a 33% speed increase (2GHz, up from 1.5). Even still, use the tweaks from the first link above for added OS optimization for the sake of improving performance, as needless eyecandy chews up a lot of resources.

Do all these MVNOs you mention allow tethering and usage of all short codes? Years ago when I looked at MVNOs, those features were not normally offered. Couldn't find anything on Selectel's site or TOS regarding either of those 2 requirements.

General rule of thumb: if there's no "unlimited" 2G data on a data plan and you're paying for every megabyte you use, you can usually tether without running into problems. The trick is finding a plan that doesn't have "unlimited" data anymore or charging more than 2-5¢/MB. Fortunately, US Mobile's Custom plans will allow for tethering.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »
My Nexus 5x was replaced under warranty, so I've only had my current one for a year (it was a refurb though, not new). I usually keep my phones for 3 years, after that the battery is hosed...and I have some gadget lust. Not sure what I'll get when this one dies now that Google has eliminated Nexus handsets. I want a 4" to 5" screen, and everything is bigger than that now!

I replaced my 2 year old Nexus 5x last month with a Moto x4, which replaced a 3 year old galaxy nexus in order to switch to Fi. I'd rather have held the 5x longer, but too many other folks are having the bootloop issue.

I can report the x4 isn't a bad replacement for the 5x. Almost identical in size, but slippery and heavy due to the glass back. I'd love to get a modern chipset/OS in a galaxy nexus form factor -- that little nub at the bottom made it easy to fish out of my pockets and easy to hang on to. (I also miss slightly bulging laptop batteries like the EEE PC 901's -- battery and convenient carry handle!)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
My phone is from 2000.  It is not a cell phone.

Wait for it, though.  Someone will have a rotary one.

I doubt it.  My phone company started charging an extra 5$ a month to keep my rotary phone . . . which is when I got rid of it.

Illgetthere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
Samsung S4.  You can change the battery to a spare and expand memory in ablut a minute.

My son is using my old S4, and it is still going strong. We had to replace the charging port about 1.5 years ago and bought a new battery ($12) this year.  I would be using it except we got a free phone last black Friday when we added him, and I took it since it is bigger and I use my phone for work.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
I replaced my 2 year old Nexus 5x last month with a Moto x4, which replaced a 3 year old galaxy nexus in order to switch to Fi. I'd rather have held the 5x longer, but too many other folks are having the bootloop issue.

I can report the x4 isn't a bad replacement for the 5x. Almost identical in size, but slippery and heavy due to the glass back. I'd love to get a modern chipset/OS in a galaxy nexus form factor -- that little nub at the bottom made it easy to fish out of my pockets and easy to hang on to. (I also miss slightly bulging laptop batteries like the EEE PC 901's -- battery and convenient carry handle!)

How is the camera on the x4? All the reviews say it is a great phone except for the camera. That is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about upgrading. Curious to hear your opinion - picture quality, speed to take pictures, speed to open.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »

How is the camera on the x4? All the reviews say it is a great phone except for the camera. That is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about upgrading. Curious to hear your opinion - picture quality, speed to take pictures, speed to open.

Before you go and replace a perfectly operational and barely two year old flagship phone because of the easily remedied but annoying default software configurations... maybe give the links I gave you once already a look and try. Again...

Use Open Camera, and turn on HDR.

Tadaa!

There's nothing wrong with your camera sensor, the problem is the default Android camera app. There's loads of complaints about the stock camera app on the 5x taking forever to load and operate, and the consensus is to replace it with a third party app, with most recommending Open Camera - which is regarded as one of the best third party camera apps available on Android, and typically captures far better pictures with its default settings than the stock camera app, never mind how much better its HDR processing is over stock as well. Problem solved without spending a dime and generating further needless electronics consumption and waste!

There's also nothing wrong with your phone, Android's eyecandy is just getting bloated and out of control. Follow the instructions from FINate's link in the other thread, and you'll find your phone to be far snappier. Again, problem solved without spending a dime and generating further needless electronics consumption and waste!