Author Topic: How much do you spend on hygiene products?  (Read 11554 times)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
How much do you spend on hygiene products?
« on: July 03, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
I'm looking for a combination of responses.

1) How much do you actually spend annually
2) Ideas for the least amount you might spend

I don't know if "hygiene products" covers everything I'm thinking of but my focus is on products I use on my body that get used up like toothpaste, soap, razors.

This is where I'm at now:

Toothpaste - $2.00 (2x$1 tubes last 6 months each)
Toothbrushes - $0.00 (This feels like cheating because I get free brushes at my 6 month cleaning and insurance covers it. I guess it would otherwise be $2-4)
Floss - $3.00 (100 yards costs about $2.00 and I would estimate I use 1.5 containers)
Soap - $4.00 (bar soap, I think they last about 2 months. A bit of a guess)
Shampoo - $0.50 (don't use shampoo, occasional vinegar wash when I get too much dandruff)
Deodorant - $4.00
Razors - $3.00 (safety razor with double sided blades are 5/$1 and last about a month. Cost of the handle was about $20 but it should last as long as I don't lose it so I'm not going to include a cost)
Shaving cream - $0.00 (just use hot water)
Electric shaver - $2.50 (I'm going to count this one as being used up unlike the safety razor because I do know it will break eventually. Maybe 20 years?)

Total annual cost = $19.00.

What am I missing. What can I improve. Anybody using baking soda or other cheaper alternatives in place of soap/deodorant?

I'm well aware that any further savings would be completely insignificant in my life but that's not really the point. I'm more interested in minimalism and the challenge. Also, it's nice to know if I ever lost access to buying hygiene products I wouldn't need to change my routine that much.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: How much do you spend on hygiene products?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
We spent $197 last year on hygiene stuff, for two people. It does include tampons, which you don't seem to need, but we don't break it down that carefully, so I'm not sure how much goes to shampoo vs tampons vs anything else. We do buy the expensive fancy vegan, natural, not tested on animals products due to skin sensitivities and moral beliefs.

We could probably cut the cost a far bit if we bought cheapo products that have been force-fed to dogs or dumped into rabbits eyes. I suppose I could sew menstrual pads and wash them? But at under $100/person/year, it seems pretty inconsequential.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
1. Too effin' much!  Just for hygiene products alone, we've spent $327 (two adults) over the last 365 days.  My "hygiene" category only includes things that keep us clean and fresh-smelling, such as toilet paper, soap, Q-tips, tissues, deodorant, etc.  The "hygiene" category falls under a larger category called "personal care" that includes other things like hair care products and hair cuts, dental products, supplements, skin care products, etc.  I'm embarrassed to even tell you the total amount for that larger category.

2.  Given my answer to question 1, I'm obviously not going to be of any help to you on question 2.  But I'd like to stick around for any ideas others produce.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Razors - 5 cents per razor, each razor lasts two or three weeks  . . .  so under 1.30$ per year for DE safety razors.
Shaving Cream - 6$ per year (about two cans at 3$ per can)
Shampoo - 0.00 (just use soap)
Soap - 15$ (probably about ten bars of soap in a year at 1.50$ per bar)
Sunscreen - 40$ (four bottles of UVA/UVB spf 60, usually goes on sale at costco in the spring - and I spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun)
Toothbrushes - 0.00 (free from the dentist)
Toothpaste - 12$ (four large tubes from costco)\
Floss - ?  I have no idea on this one.  We bought a giant pack of it a couple years ago and are still working our way through it - plus the dentist gives us free floss when we go there).
Deodorant - 15$ (6 sticks of deodorant for 2.50$ each from Amazon)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
For the tampon/pad-using ladies; have you looked into menstrual cups? They're way more comfy, user friendly and better for the environment! And it's just a one-time cost of $20 or so, so you earn it back quickly as tampons are expensive.

These are such a great idea. Unfortunately, they don't work well for me. I've tried three different types and several insertion techniques but had the same leakage and discomfort every time. I do use reusable pads, though (tampons only on the heaviest days). That's yielded a HUGE savings over the years because now I only buy a few boxes of tampons per year.

I'd try to account for all my toiletries, but the expenses vary because I tend to buy only store brands or products on sale (except for a few cosmetics that don't cause my skin to go red and flaky).

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
Razors - 5 cents per razor, each razor lasts two or three weeks  . . .  so under 1.30$ per year for DE safety razors.

5 cents per razor? Where?

Sunscreen and toilet paper are two things I missed. I use sunscreen occasionally, probably not as much as I should. Between "borrowing" from others and using old bottles that someone else was getting rid of I probably haven't bought any in years, but I should still count some cost for this stuff since it's pretty expensive. Maybe half a bottle/year, so $5?

Toilet paper is a good one to think about because I have considered getting a bidet. Right now we probably pay slightly more than minimum because we buy the tube-free kind rather than whatever's on sale. I like the innovation of not using a tube as it's one of those ideas that's so simple and yet has the potential to save significant amounts of resources. I really hope the tube free design catches on, I only know of one brand who does it now. That being said, a bidet would probably be an even more environmentally friendly and frugal option. I've broken out the cost of my other items rather than using household numbers so I'll make a wild estimate on tp. Maybe 16 rolls/year at $0.50/each so $8.

Now I'm at $32.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:29:11 AM by Dabnasty »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »

5 cents per razor? Where?

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Blades-Stainless-blades/dp/B004RWZ1RE/ref=sr_1_15_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531326520&sr=8-15&keywords=safety+razor+blades

Last time I bought a couple hundred they were 5 cents a razor.  Looks like you might be paying 7 cents now.

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:19:47 AM »
20-pack of single-blade razors - about $2. One razor lasts over a month, so <$1/year.
No shaving cream or aftershave - cold water does both jobs.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
20-pack of single-blade razors - about $2. One razor lasts over a month, so <$1/year.
No shaving cream or aftershave - cold water does both jobs.

Even passing on the hot water. Damn.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
To be really Mustachian, you just need a pair of tweezers.  It's possible to pick the hairs off your face for a lifetime cost of what . . . a couple bucks?  :P

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
To be really Mustachian, you just need a pair of tweezers.  It's possible to pick the hairs off your face for a lifetime cost of what . . . a couple bucks?  :P

I'd rather use scissors and look like a caveman. But I am wondering how many hairs one has on a face now...

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »
Real men take cold showers ;).
I did turn off the gas water heater over a year ago and haven't looked back since. If I cooked greasy food, then I would probably need hot water to wash the dishes, but the non-greasy residue does come off easily with a steel sponge and cold water (no dishwashing liquid). Cold water works for the laundry as well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
I admire your gumption sir.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »
Ok, this is probably way too much info, but here goes... (These are numbers for the year)

===============================

Soap - $0 (find soap in free boxes at estate sales, get soap when we travel, bought lots (& lots) of soap for free at CVS years ago when you could easily roll over extra bucks.  Last time I paid for soap - 2008?)
Shampoo - $0 (male pattern baldness means I don't need much, have plenty from travels - will never need to buy again)
Dish Detergent - $0 (Stock up at CVS when available for free - last out of pocket was maybe 2012.  At current rate should last another 5 years)
Razors - $0 (almost never touch them, have stockpile from years ago slowly working through)
Shaving cream - $0 (almost never need it, if I use razor I use hair conditioner I get when traveling as shaving cream substitute. Otherwise see following)
Electric razor - $0 (Did buy 2 sets of replacement heads on eBay 3 years ago ($15), may last me another 10 years - don't use any conditioner when shaving.  Don't even use electricity - I use adapter in my car on way to work - when at stop lights I shave.)
Toothpaste - $0 (I have a small stockpile I am almost through, will probably cost $10 / year after it is gone - last bought around 2012)
Toothbrushes - $0 (Like others here, I get them when I visit dentist)
Sunscreen - $1 (I have a tube bought for $3 years ago I rarely use, I use golf sleeves alot to cut down on sun exposure)
Deodorant - $3 (I use medicated powder from dollar store instead as I have a desk job.  I shower at work so rarely need it.  I have a dozen sticks stockpiled that I use on days when I may get sweated around people.  Last purchase - 2010?)
Floss - $0 (I get some at dentist visits & GF got me a water pik and I use that instead)
Toilet paper - $6 (Probably less really.  Last purchase was 11 months ago buying a dozen extra large rolls at a surplus outlet for $0.39/roll, still have 6 of them.)
Hot water - Not much as I turn off the gas water heater during the week as I shower at work (gym).  My gas bill is over 80% fixed cost, very little is actual usage - maybe $6/mo.

================================

You know I read the above, and even I think it sounds crazy.    But its true.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
Real men take cold showers ;).
I did turn off the gas water heater over a year ago and haven't looked back since. If I cooked greasy food, then I would probably need hot water to wash the dishes, but the non-greasy residue does come off easily with a steel sponge and cold water (no dishwashing liquid). Cold water works for the laundry as well.

Well then.

I do take some cold showers and I wash dishes with cold unless they're real greasy but turning off the water heater is a big step. Living with someone else I'm sure this wouldn't fly. Probably wouldn't save much either as our total gas bill is usually $7-8 more than the fixed cost in the summer which accounts for the gas stove as well as the gas water heater.

Also, I've read that turning off your hot water heater can allow bacteria to grow in the tank. If you happen to turn on the "hot" water it could be contaminated. I'm not sure of the legitimacy of that claim but it might be something to look into.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
Ok, this is probably way too much info, but here goes... (These are numbers for the year)

===============================

Soap - $0 (find soap in free boxes at estate sales, get soap when we travel, bought lots (& lots) of soap for free at CVS years ago when you could easily roll over extra bucks.  Last time I paid for soap - 2008?)
Shampoo - $0 (male pattern baldness means I don't need much, have plenty from travels - will never need to buy again)
Dish Detergent - $0 (Stock up at CVS when available for free - last out of pocket was maybe 2012.  At current rate should last another 5 years)
Razors - $0 (almost never touch them, have stockpile from years ago slowly working through)
Shaving cream - $0 (almost never need it, if I use razor I use hair conditioner I get when traveling as shaving cream substitute. Otherwise see following)
Electric razor - $0 (Did buy 2 sets of replacement heads on eBay 3 years ago ($15), may last me another 10 years - don't use any conditioner when shaving.  Don't even use electricity - I use adapter in my car on way to work - when at stop lights I shave.)
Toothpaste - $0 (I have a small stockpile I am almost through, will probably cost $10 / year after it is gone - last bought around 2012)
Toothbrushes - $0 (Like others here, I get them when I visit dentist)
Sunscreen - $1 (I have a tube bought for $3 years ago I rarely use, I use golf sleeves alot to cut down on sun exposure)
Deodorant - $3 (I use medicated powder from dollar store instead as I have a desk job.  I shower at work so rarely need it.  I have a dozen sticks stockpiled that I use on days when I may get sweated around people.  Last purchase - 2010?)
Floss - $0 (I get some at dentist visits & GF got me a water pik and I use that instead)
Toilet paper - $6 (Probably less really.  Last purchase was 11 months ago buying a dozen extra large rolls at a surplus outlet for $0.39/roll, still have 6 of them.)
Hot water - Not much as I turn off the gas water heater during the week as I shower at work (gym).  My gas bill is over 80% fixed cost, very little is actual usage - maybe $6/mo.

================================

You know I read the above, and even I think it sounds crazy.    But its true.

A) Yes, it sounds crazy
B) It's also pretty impressive
C) I want to see amortized costs on that waterpik and electric razor :)

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
turning off the water heater is a big step. Living with someone else I'm sure this wouldn't fly. Probably wouldn't save much either as our total gas bill is usually $7-8 more than the fixed cost in the summer which accounts for the gas stove as well as the gas water heater.

Also, I've read that turning off your hot water heater can allow bacteria to grow in the tank. If you happen to turn on the "hot" water it could be contaminated. I'm not sure of the legitimacy of that claim but it might be something to look into.
Agreed on the fixed cost. Also agree that living with the average person, this wouldn't fly.
Don't know the details on the bacteria, but evolutionary theory would suggest that heat-resistant bacteria evolve more probably in hot water. So turning on the heat again would kill bacteria in the tank more readily if the tank was cold than if it was heated all the time.
If there is stagnant water in the cold tank and after a long period, that water was used, then yes. But of course one should run both taps to prevent that - then the tank is just part of the piping, with through flow.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:57 PM »
turning off the water heater is a big step. Living with someone else I'm sure this wouldn't fly. Probably wouldn't save much either as our total gas bill is usually $7-8 more than the fixed cost in the summer which accounts for the gas stove as well as the gas water heater.

Agreed on the fixed cost. Also agree that living with the average person, this wouldn't fly.
Don't know the details on the bacteria, but evolutionary theory would suggest that heat-resistant bacteria evolve more probably in hot water. So turning on the heat again would kill bacteria in the tank more readily if the tank was cold than if it was heated all the time.
If there is stagnant water in the cold tank and after a long period, that water was used, then yes. But of course one should run both taps to prevent that - then the tank is just part of the piping, with through flow.
No. Your understanding of evolutionary theory is wrong, and simply running water does not clear bacterial growth from tanks or pipes. If your hot tank is turned off you need to bring it to 60 C to kill whatever bacteria is in there, which if you're lucky will only be only caulobactor, not legionares orcamphylobacter.

PJS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
I don't see anyone listing moisturizer or lotion. Either there are a lot of mustachians out there with dry skin or they've found another way to keep their skin from drying out.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
I don't see anyone listing moisturizer or lotion. Either there are a lot of mustachians out there with dry skin or they've found another way to keep their skin from drying out.

Using less soap and taking cold showers may be a part of this.

Humidity probably plays a factor as well. Are you in a dry climate?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »

I can get away with minimal moisturizer in summer (hot/humid weather). Our winters are very cold and windy, however, and forced-air heat is drying. I find that store-brand dry skin lotion works well for all but face and hands. I use Simple brand moisturizer for my face, a drugstore brand that costs <US$10 per bottle and doesn't cause breakouts (most things do). Gold Bond hand cream and Vaseline are the only things that help my hands in winter.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:21:27 AM by OtherJen »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
We buy lotion maybe once a year or less. We're just both pretty oily and hardly ever need it :(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »
We buy lotion maybe once a year or less. We're just both pretty oily and hardly ever need it :(

Yep, put me into that category too.  My skin doesn't get dry naturally, even when it's very dry indoors in the winter from forced air systems.  :P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »

Yep, put me into that category too.  My skin doesn't get dry naturally, even when it's very dry indoors in the winter from forced air systems.  :P

Yes, it would be very nice not to have eczema. I hate when my hands and lips crack so badly that they bleed.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
I easily spend the most on sunscreen at about $20/month. Deodorant is probably the second mist expensive at about $7/three months.

Bar soap, razors for safety razors, and occasional lotion are cheap. Shaving soap pucks seem to last forever. I prefer to use bar shampoo + an ACV rinse, but I have to order the bar shampoo online to get the fragrance-free kind, so I often purchase whatever shampoo & conditioner is cheapest at the store. Tooth powder lasts pretty long and is more pleasant than toothpaste. I do shell out for knock-off Sonicare toothbrush heads (about 1/3 of the cost of branded ones, but still more than a regular brush). My husband or I must have bought a ton of floss some years ago because we've got at least a three year supply.

I think that might be everything.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Well, I guess I'm not going to win the prize here.  This is for myself; family charges would be significantly more.

Prices estimated per year
Toothpaste - $3
Toothbrush - $4 - replacement brush heads for Sonicare, plus some amortized cost even though it was a gift
Dental Floss - $3
Deodorant - $4
Bar Soap - $2
Hand Soap - $5 - Wouldn't be my choice, but DW buys it for the family and I do use it
Shampoo - $2 - barely use any
Shaving/grooming $5 - Shave my cheeks and neck only but rinse with IPA to extend the life of the blades, use the men's universal grooming device otherwise.  UMD has amortized cost.
Lotion - $10
Wipes/toilet paper - $10
Other - $5

Spendy, spendy.  Well, maybe not compared to normal people, but compared to people here.  Didn't include sunscreen or bug spray, since I don't consider those to be hygiene products. 

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
I don't itemize this category. I buy it all at the grocery store, so it stays under groceries. My grocery bill is quite reasonable so I don't worry about it.

I definitely don't buy expensive soaps or shampoos or what have you. I can see that becoming a big money waster if you were into it. For things like toothpaste and so on, I don't really want to "cut back" on those items, potentially at the expense of my oral health and longevity - that would probably be far more expensive in the long run, and these items are such a tiny fraction of my overall budget it's not worth the effort.

However, I do employ strategies to keep costs in this category minimal. I buy things like hand soap in bulk and refill reusable containers. Most of my cleaning products are exceptionally cheap as well - reusable/recycled spray bottles that I fill with either vinegar or an ammonia dilution, and baking soda. Has not failed to clean anything yet, and costs like $1/gallon instead of $4/bottle of most commercial cleaning sprays. I also shave with a double-edge safety razor, some small upfront cost to buy the razor and brush but I got it as a gift, and it has saved lots of money on shaving supplies since then - soap refills are like $1 and razorblades are 10 cents or so.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:25:43 PM by drachma »

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
Toothpaste - Probably about 3-4 USD a year for a family of 4.
Toothbrushes - Don't know. Three of us use electric tooth brushes so if I get the brand name ones they are really pricey and we do sometimes but we also mix up with cheap ones from China.
Floss - Very little as I admit I suck at flossing.
Soap - We use liquid soap and we get though quite a lot of it. We buy cheap brands though. I don't know the exact numbers.
Shampoo - I buy expensive shampoo due to having a very sensitive scalp so probably 30 USD or more per year. I use as little shampoo as possible and my husband buys very cheap shampoo.
Deodorant - 10 USD or so. The two adults use roughly 5-6 deodorants a year and we try to keep them at the low but not lowest end because both of us get an itch from the very cheapest brands.
Razors - Don't know my husband's costs but he uses an old fashioned saftey razor and regular razor blades which is pretty cheap and a bit of a hobby thing for him. He buys different types of blades at various times to see which ones he likes the most but they are generally cheap. Last time he bought about 100 blades for very little and they will last for a long time. I shave my armpits about 2 times a year and am otherwise natural. I use a disposable razor for those rare occasions and I can usually save them between shaves and use one a year or so. No, I don't actually look like a troll, I don't have that much body hair.
Shaving cream - My husband buys shaving soap 2-3 times a year and it doesn't cost that much but I don't know the exact cost.
My husband's razor, brush and soap bowl cost some but not more than 30 USD or so and they can be used for a long time.

I use a menstrual cup that costs about 30-40 USD to buy and it lasts a couple years. The company I have bought from says 10 but experience says that 5-6 is more likely, they lose their "bounce" by then and start slipping around that time. I have cloth pads too and about every 3 years or so I buy some disposable pads. I only use pads if I get a yeast infection during or around my period, then the cup is not that comfortable.
I use some hair products too, now when my hair is short I spend perhaps 20 USD a year on that but when it is long it is a bottle of hair spray every 3 years or so as I only use products when I am invited to a party or for a job interview or something important when my hair is long. Other days I make a bun, braid or pony tail and I let the hair slip out some or use hair clips. I have colored hair now and then I also buy some color sometimes. They cost about 10 USD per box but I usually don't do it more than 2-3 times a year. During my most frugal years this was not part of the budget.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »
Mine just go in the Grocery budget. I've gotten some good ideas here, though! Free soap from estate sales, definitely going to check that out! I have gotten lots of free toiletries from helping friends move/declutter. Asking for toiletries for gifts has worked out great, too. My cousin bought everyone the 'fancy' Sam's brand toilet paper for Christmas a few years ago, and I still remember how great it was!

+1 on the reusable menstrual pads. I made some out of scrap flannel with liners from other scrap fabrics. I give them a shot of Oxyclean spray (that was given to me) and toss them in the washer. There's a huge convenience factor, as I never run out and have to make an emergency trip to get more. I don't have to store a giant box of tampons, only a small zipper bag of cloth. (Although I do buy a small box about once a year, for travel and such.The cheapest ones I can find without playing the coupon game are at Aldi, and I recommend them.)

For those of you that are squicked out by body fluids in the washing machine, do you regularly throw away your towels when you nick yourself shaving? Toss the wash cloth you pressed to a skinned knee or wiped a snotty nose with? Probably not. So why throw away money on disposable hygiene products?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
man, I didn't think I spent a lot here...but compared to most of you I definitely do! I do tend to go for the natural stuff when it comes to hygiene, and also live in an extremely dry and windy environment, so my skin/hair need a little help to keep from drying out like crazy. Also I train/race endurance sports, so I feel like I shower all the time, way more than I would if I wasn't super active every day

- toothpaste-$9.00 a year (3 tubes baking soda toothpaste)
- mouthwash- $28 a year (4 bottles natural dentist)
- floss- free from the dentist
- electric toothbrush heads $50 a year
- shampoo+conditioner- $20 a year (Kirkland signature sulfate free...this stuff is amazing! I only wash my hair every 2 weeks, so the bottles last me a full year
- body wash/soap- $20 a year (about 10 bars of castile soap)
- face sunscreen- $60 a year (I spend a ton of time in the high altitude sun, so this is a priority, also get one for acne prone skin because my face sucks)
- body sunscreen- $60 a year (ditto to above)
- razors- $30 a year
- Eucerin medicated eczema lotion- $20 a year ( to keep all of my skin from peeling off in the winter)
- tampons...jeez, I don't know, way too much! Probably $80 a year to be honest. They are so expensive, but I hate the diva cup, and can't do pads.
- badger balm hand cream, and chapstick- $10 a year
- toilet paper- Costco- $15 a year
- Deodorant- $10 a year on 2 tubes of Schmidts
- bobby pins (yes this is something I count because I go through a ridiculous amount) $5 for a pound that lasts me a year
- hair elastics- $15 a year for 140 (yes they break a lot because my hair is super curly)

listing that all out seems like SO MUCH MONEY. It doesn't seem like a lot when I just buy one or two things a month...I don't really spend on any kind of makeup, nail stuff, or nice clothes or anything...so I guess I feel like I splurge a little on what I put on my skin/teeth, etc. I could probably optimize this a little better though!

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »
No idea, because it's lumped with groceries in the budget. But we get all our teeth stuff for free from the dentist, I don't buy makeup and have a menstrual cup, and we pretty much only buy soaps/shampoos/toilet paper/laundry detergent (in bulk) when it runs out once a year. We also don't use much lotion, sunscreen, or hair product at all--a bottle lasts us multiple years.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 07:01:46 AM »
No idea, a tenner or two every half year or so?

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
We spend more than others in this category: $213 per year

Yearly costs for 2 adults & 1 3 year old:

Spouse:

Deodorant: $17 for Degree deodorant (not anti perspirant)

Shampoo: $45 for 6 bottles of Selsun Blue (he's very particular about the shampoo & deodorant & he refuses to switch due to severe skin reactions to other brands)

Toothpaste & toothbrushes & floss: $20 for 1 electric toothbrush, specific Crest toothpaste & flossers

He uses an electric razor that he bought years ago, maybe for $10 total

Me:

Deodorant/antiperspirant: $7 for enough for 1 year

Shampoo and conditioner: $8 for 2 large bottles from Sam's club, I wash my hair every other day on average

Toothpaste, toothbrush & flossers: $5 per year

Pads: $4 per year for a box at Aldi, I have reusable pads that I bought 2 years ago with a gift card.

Soap: $6 for enough bars of soap that lasts 2 years, so maybe $3 per year

Son:

Diapers and wipes: $100 per year (yes, he's not yet potty trained, he's on the Autism spectrum so he's taking a very long time), he wears cloth diapers & training pants at home

Kids shampoo: $5 per year for 5 bottles at Dollar tree

I've asked spouse if he'd switch deodorant or shampoo or toothpaste & he refuses. My son refuses to get out of diapers (please, no judgement or protips on the potty training), so we spend more than average due to some non negotiable categories right now.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »
Does any of you know how to get rid of flakes in hair? This is my only hair problem (apart from early grey) If I don’t use head and shoulders shampoo (costs $8 to $10 for the big bottle )  even for a day the flake becomes horrible. I am trying to find a cheap and natural solution for this.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:21 AM »
Does any of you know how to get rid of flakes in hair? This is my only hair problem (apart from early grey) If I don’t use head and shoulders shampoo (costs $8 to $10 for the big bottle )  even for a day the flake becomes horrible. I am trying to find a cheap and natural solution for this.

I have not found any natural solution for this; in fact, options like washing with baking soda and conditioning with vinegar made the flaking SO much worse. I’ve made my peace with it by looking for sales (you can search for these on Flipp.com) and using coupons.

Interestingly, I’ve found that Suave avocado and olive oil shampoo (and conditioner because I have long hair) is one of the few types that doesn’t cause excessive flaking, so I alternate washes with that. It’s fairly inexpensive and has a mild scent, so even if you try it and don’t like it you’d only be out a few bucks and could use it as hand soap.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »

I buy the Wal Mart generic brand for a little under $5.  Still not exactly cheap, but better than paying $8-10 for the name brand.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »
The budget is  lumped in with grocery store purchases. I am not super frugal, so we shall see how I do. These are my best guesses...

Toothpaste - $12
Four tubes of toothpaste for enamel.

Floss - $11
Three packs of floss per year. The husband is picky about his type, but I am gonna start getting samples from the dentist.

Sonicare Replacement heads - $42
This is a major expensive but so worth it. We love our electric toothbrushes.

Shampoo/conditioner - $43
I now shampoo every other day, same with conditioner. I go through 1.5 large bottles of shampoo and 1 large bottle of conditioner per year.

Soap - $12

I go through a few bars of soap every year. My husband burns through his soap like crazy and replaces it every 1.5 months. Our soap is from gifts, hotels, and cruelty free bar soap (when we purchase it).

Razors - $16

Replacement heads for our razors probably average about $16 for the both of us.

Lotion - 22

I receive a lot of lotion as part of gifts. Its very helpful because our hands get so dry especially in the winter.

Sunscreen - $14

We go through 2 bottles a year.

Luxuries - $25

This is miscellaneous stuff that I enjoy from time to time including bubble baths, bath bombs and epsom salts.

Total - $197 for two people

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »

I have not found any natural solution for this; in fact, options like washing with baking soda and conditioning with vinegar made the flaking SO much worse. I’ve made my peace with it by looking for sales (you can search for these on Flipp.com) and using coupons.

Interestingly, I’ve found that Suave avocado and olive oil shampoo (and conditioner because I have long hair) is one of the few types that doesn’t cause excessive flaking, so I alternate washes with that. It’s fairly inexpensive and has a mild scent, so even if you try it and don’t like it you’d only be out a few bucks and could use it as hand soap.
OK I can try Suave, as you said its not expensive to try. I see a lot of coupons on Suave.
 The thing with Head and Shoulders is it just vanishes the loose flakes jus for a day. So I have to use this every day.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »

I buy the Wal Mart generic brand for a little under $5.  Still not exactly cheap, but better than paying $8-10 for the name brand.

I've tried the Target generic brand - looks almost like Head & Shoulders - but it was not effective for me, so discontinued.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 05:18:18 AM »

I've tried the Target generic brand - looks almost like Head & Shoulders - but it was not effective for me, so discontinued.

In my experience, the Wal Mart generic brand is essentially identical to head and shoulders.  Same active ingredient in the same amount.  It has worked very well for me.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
Alright. Going to try the Walmart generic as well. Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!