Author Topic: HOW I PAID OFF MY $115,000 3O YEAR MORTGAGE IN 23 MONTHS !!!!!  (Read 29219 times)

doug111

• Stubble
HOW I PAID OFF MY $115,000 3O YEAR MORTGAGE IN 23 MONTHS !!!!!
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
It was a multitude of things !!!! I sold massive stuff sitting around my house on OFFERUP which is like craigslist.
I sold massive credit card points from credit card churning for about $30,000 of the $115,000.
I returned massive pop bottles to the store for a nickel a piece.
I always check every vending machine coin slot as I walk by it.
I never buy coffee out and I always know who as all the free coffee out there.
I am always buying car parts for my carlot and the big name dealers have free coffee where I buy the parts.
The credit unions have free coffee. The banks have free coffee, the tire stores have free coffee.
I do intermittent fasting so I save by eating no breakfast.
I eat dandelion salad from dandelions in my backyard which are actually extremely healthy for you.
I drive a 1992 Geo Metro that I get about 68 MPG from it because I shut the engine off and coast a on of miles for free and I pump the tires up to 50 pounds of air and duct tape the grill shut.
My wife gives me all of her change after she purchase stuff at the store.
I always tuen off lights when not in use.
I take a shower as fast as I can to limit the natural gas being used.
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!
BASICALLY EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS TO KICK THE BANKSTERS OUT OF YOUR LIFE !!!!! LOL !!!!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:45:23 AM by doug111 »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: HOW I PAID OFF MY $115,000 3O YEAR MORTGAGE IN 23 MONTHS !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »

This one is just moving money from her to you.  Do you keep separate finances?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »
It was a multitude of things !!!! I sold massive stuff sitting around my house on OFFERUP which is like craigslist.
I sold massive credit card points from credit card churning for about $30,000 of the $115,000.
I am always buying car parts for my carlot and the big name dealers have free coffee where I buy the parts.
The credit unions have free coffee. The banks have free coffee, the tire stores have free coffee.
I eat dandelion salad from dandelions in my backyard which are actually extremely healthy for you.
I drive a 1992 Geo Metro that I get about 68 MPG from it because I shut the engine off and coast a on of miles for free and I pump the tires up to 50 pounds of air and duct tape the grill shut.
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!
BASICALLY EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS TO KICK THE BANKSTERS OUT OF YOUR LIFE !!!!! LOL !!!!!

Hmm... you sound a lot like another poster who was around here last year...
Congrats on paying off your mortgage so quickly.
That said several of the thing things you mentioned will have little or no practical impact to finances.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:51:03 AM »
This would be a great snark post if it was funny.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!

Wow, this sounds like a miserable existence. I would gladly keep a mortgage to avoid most items on your list.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
You left out harvesting neighborhood cats and dogs for tasty, high-protein snacks.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:12:48 AM »
You left out harvesting neighborhood cats and dogs for tasty, high-protein snacks.

And for their fertilizer too!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
So you skip breakfast and live on dandelion salads paired with free coffee, which is like...2 calories?

I eat more while asleep (the occasional fly-zipping-into-my-mouth thing...it happens to everyone I think)

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »

Yes we keep everything separate, she's a spender and I'm a saver. But for every 1 dollar she spends I try to save 10. lol

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »

Yes we keep everything separate, she's a spender and I'm a saver. But for every 1 dollar she spends I try to save 10. lol

That's very interesting; do you make substantially more than your spouse? Logic dictates that if you're saving $10 for every dollar she spends you've got to be in the top 5% of earners if she is earning nothing more than the federal minimum wage.  If that's the case, why are you bothering with all the other points on your list?  Tax deferment ought to be at the top of your list, and FI shouldn't be remotely difficult to achieve given your impressively low spending habits.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!

That said several of the thing things you mentioned will have little or no practical impact to finances.
I am always a magnet for learning new angles, please explain what you mean by "That said several of the thing things you mentioned will have little or no practical impact to finances" I'm thinking that it will be nice to be 100% debt free minus usual recurring expenses such as utilities and food. It should reduce some stress I hope. Thanks for the input though I really appreciate it.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »

How massive are the pop bottles? It seems you could be more efficient if you traded in smaller pop bottles for the same $0.05. After all, I don't think you can fit many of these in your '92 Geo.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!

Wow, this sounds like a miserable existence. I would gladly keep a mortgage to avoid most items on your list.
No no no its not a miserable existence. lol  These are all tiny sacrifices to me and it felt like a video game the whole time. The fun game part is to see where you can squeeze extra money from. The misery would be paying a monthly mortgage and having to work that many extra hours to feed the banisters. They get really hungry lol.  I look it as a frugal play, because spending money on interest is considered a loss in the end.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!

Hey by the way thanks for the congrats !!!!! That was really nice of you.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »
Did you think that it was funny ? lol

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
You bust me up !!!!! lol

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
So you skip breakfast and live on dandelion salads paired with free coffee, which is like...2 calories?

I eat more while asleep (the occasional fly-zipping-into-my-mouth thing...it happens to everyone I think)
But I still eat a normal dinner with my wife lol.  I would die if I only ate 2 calories a day lol.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
How did you MS 30l worth of points? That's like close to 3million in spending.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »

And for their fertilizer too!
I actually did pickup up my neighbors pop cans and beer bottles for returns lol. Surely I looked like a scrounge but I didn't care. I always say that when you quit caring about how other people look at you is when you really start to get ahead.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not.  If not, congrats you are far more hardcore than me.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
I am always a magnet for learning new angles, please explain what you mean by "That said several of the thing things you mentioned will have little or no practical impact to finances" I'm thinking that it will be nice to be 100% debt free minus usual recurring expenses such as utilities and food. It should reduce some stress I hope. Thanks for the input though I really appreciate it.

Well, there are a few things.  Skipping breakfast likely has a negative effect on your savings rate because ultimately your caloric intake doesn't change and breakfast tends to be the cheapest of all the meals to eat. As another mentioned, keeping your wife's change doesn't generate value, it just shifts it from one person to another (e.g. it's zero sum). Selling things you no longer need provides cash now, but these are (presumably) things that you previously purchased. The true savings comes from not buying things you don't need in the first place. Eating dandelion greens with little caloric value pales when compared to gardening higher-value foods (high value both in terms of purchase price and caloric content)
Besides that, there's the time cost for doing things like checking vending machines for spare change and returning 'massive' amounts of bottles for refunds. The time spent is unlikely to result in a reasonable hourly rate.
Finally I should note that many of us do not want the "banksters' out of our lives, particularly with today's rates. Inflation hedge, better return on investment, more cash on hand etc. are important factors that paying off a mortgage may actually hurt rather than help.  To each their own.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!

It really does - incredibly similar, but I can't find it...

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
This sounds a lot like the guy who searches cushions at Starbucks for loose change ... or something like that.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
What is going on here?  He saved money by doing things differently from the rest of the masses and paid off his mortgage!  Where is the love?

Good job doug111.  It's a major milestone and I can imagine a big relief. 

*Shifting finances from one to another?  who cares -- he got his hands on it and forced it into savings. 
*Returning bottles?  Yeah, he's saving the earth and getting a little reward for it!  This weekend I picked up bottles and threw them in the trash and got zero. 
*Turning off lights and fast showers?  Yeah, that's badass!
*Checking vending machine coin slots?  Good!  I started picking up pennies because it's MONEY!

I suspect the negativity is because you posted the title in all caps and you sound a bit like a spammer. 
The coffee thing...sounds like you might have a coffee addiction and the duct tape over the grill?  Never heard of that and I have to say, that's the part that I think you're going a bit overboard. 

Come on people!   Be more supportive! 

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 03:34:16 PM »
lol !!! I have a bottle route where there is a lot of marinas by my house and I pickup massive and I mean massive beer bottles just from that and I can fit about $50 to $60 into my geo each time. Amazing little car !!!

How massive are the pop bottles? It seems you could be more efficient if you traded in smaller pop bottles for the same $0.05. After all, I don't think you can fit many of these in your '92 Geo.

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
you know me i'm still a line dryin fool

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »

That's very interesting; do you make substantially more than your spouse? Logic dictates that if you're saving $10 for every dollar she spends you've got to be in the top 5% of earners if she is earning nothing more than the federal minimum wage.  If that's the case, why are you bothering with all the other points on your list?  Tax deferment ought to be at the top of your list, and FI shouldn't be remotely difficult to achieve given your impressively low spending habits.
I actually retired 7 years ago already back in my late 30's. I bother with all of the other frugal things because my grandfather used to drill into my head every little bit helps and he was the greatest influence in my financial life and he learned all of that from the great depression. Ive also been a landlord for about 23 years and I also help my son run a carlot.  I haven't needed to work since I retired, but money happens to be my hobby. Always has been and always will be. I give my wife an allowance because she's always stayed at home with the kids and has never really worked outside the house but she's giving me her change back from stores now. I have many more houses to pay off, but I am knocking them out one at a time. Im all done leveraging in real estate. Now I'm focusing on going 100% debt free and then I will buy more houses in the future with my freed up debt free rent collected.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
How did you MS 30l worth of points? That's like close to 3million in spending.
Easy, I did about $15k and my wife did about $15k so $30k is easy when your married.  Remember this is over 23 months or almost 2 years. So thats an easy $7500 a year per person. I sold a ton of SPG points and CHASE points and lots and lots of airline points. I dont waste time on the point per dollar spend stuff, I chase massive sign up bonuses. But they are really starting to tighten those up now with the CHASE 5/24 rule. Which is a bummer. Oh well it was great while it lasted.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not.  If not, congrats you are far more hardcore than me.
Nope no trolling here, lol. I am the real deal. Call me sometime and I can tell your more. Maybe we can teach each other a few money ideas.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »

Well, there are a few things.  Skipping breakfast likely has a negative effect on your savings rate because ultimately your caloric intake doesn't change and breakfast tends to be the cheapest of all the meals to eat. As another mentioned, keeping your wife's change doesn't generate value, it just shifts it from one person to another (e.g. it's zero sum). Selling things you no longer need provides cash now, but these are (presumably) things that you previously purchased. The true savings comes from not buying things you don't need in the first place. Eating dandelion greens with little caloric value pales when compared to gardening higher-value foods (high value both in terms of purchase price and caloric content)
Besides that, there's the time cost for doing things like checking vending machines for spare change and returning 'massive' amounts of bottles for refunds. The time spent is unlikely to result in a reasonable hourly rate.
Finally I should note that many of us do not want the "banksters' out of our lives, particularly with today's rates. Inflation hedge, better return on investment, more cash on hand etc. are important factors that paying off a mortgage may actually hurt rather than help.  To each their own.
Its all about how you look at it. I believe now more than ever that the only good rental property is a paid off one. Ive been down the leveraging road and when you have a house payment for example of 1200 a month and you rent the house out for 1400 a month I really dont care to deal with a renter for a measly 200 a month profit and that profit can be eaten up in a split second when the furnace fails or the roof needs to be replaced. The only person making money in that equation is the bank because they are charging interest. I just dont care to play that game anymore. Leverage is really only good if your in an appreciating market and your going to sell that rental for a pile of cash. Im into buy and hold and never sell rentals. But hey if you prefer leverage then do it. But its just not for me anymore. It feels better to my stress levels to de-leverage. Its worth the piece of mind to me. Thanks for your input though.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
This sounds a lot like the guy who searches cushions at Starbucks for loose change ... or something like that.
Sounds dangerous, might find needles in those seats. lol

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »
What is going on here?  He saved money by doing things differently from the rest of the masses and paid off his mortgage!  Where is the love?

Good job doug111.  It's a major milestone and I can imagine a big relief. 

*Shifting finances from one to another?  who cares -- he got his hands on it and forced it into savings. 
*Returning bottles?  Yeah, he's saving the earth and getting a little reward for it!  This weekend I picked up bottles and threw them in the trash and got zero. 
*Turning off lights and fast showers?  Yeah, that's badass!
*Checking vending machine coin slots?  Good!  I started picking up pennies because it's MONEY!

I suspect the negativity is because you posted the title in all caps and you sound a bit like a spammer. 
The coffee thing...sounds like you might have a coffee addiction and the duct tape over the grill?  Never heard of that and I have to say, that's the part that I think you're going a bit overboard. 

Come on people!   Be more supportive!
Hey I gotta say, I love your reply the most !!!! My headline was in all caps BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO EXPRESS THAT I AM SO FRICKING DAMN HAPPY THAT I WILL BE DEBT FREE ON MY HOUSE !!!!!!  Thanks so much for sticking up for me your a hell of a decent person. By the way I laugh at all of these people acting like I'm doing such horrible sacrifices to get my house paid off. I used to dig ditches for a living and that was work. All of these things that I'm telling to everyone is sissy work or no work at all. If these people think that what I have done is hard to do and too many scarifies well them I feel sorry for them because they will always most likely be in debt. I wasn't trying to brag about getting debt free, I am trying to inspire people to do the same thing. So everyone please dont think that I'm trying to brag. The only thing that I'm bragging about is the HUGE HAPPY SMILE ON MY FACE !!!! By the way duct taping the grill helps with wind resistance and I noticed that my car never burns any oil so no need to pop the hood constantly and it probably never burns any oil because I coast 50% of the time with the engine completely off. lol
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:02:19 PM by doug111 »

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
What is going on here? 

For me it was mostly that he started another very similar thread at the same time: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/2-more-weeks-to-paying-off-my-house-!!!!!-down-to-$3-543-76-!!!!!/

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
What is going on here? 

For me it was mostly that he started another very similar thread at the same time: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/2-more-weeks-to-paying-off-my-house-!!!!!-down-to-$3-543-76-!!!!!/
I guess that paying off your house warrants 2 celebrational posts lol. Lighten up.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
ETC. ETC. ETC. !!!!!!
JUST PAID OFF ANOTHER $1,403.65 a few minutes ago !!!!!!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:31 PM »
Blog URL in 3...2...1....

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »

no....I don't know what the scam is, but I got a PM asking me to call him directly. 

Don't worry...I have zero desire to cross over into the real world.  Dude needs to learn boundaries. 

And if so many people hadn't copied my message, I would have deleted it so I never have to look at it again!  Darn you Quoters!!!!  [shakes fist]

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »

Gratz on the payoff.

Stop operating your vehicle in a reckless manner that endangers others, please.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »

Gratz on the payoff.

I drove a semi truck for 12 years and over a million miles of city driving in heavy Portland Oregon traffic. Im sure that I can handle clicking off the key which I've done for over 12 years now and no accidents in my Geo Metro nor my semi truck.  Never clicked the key off in my semi truck, I wasn't paying for the gas. lol . Following distance is key. Thanks for the Gratz on the payoff though !!!!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »

Gratz on the payoff.

I drove a semi truck for 12 years and over a million miles of city driving in heavy Portland Oregon traffic. Im sure that I can handle clicking off the key which I've done for over 12 years now and no accidents in my Geo Metro nor my semi truck.  Never clicked the key off in my semi truck, I wasn't paying for the gas. lol . Following distance is key. Thanks for the Gratz on the payoff though !!!!!

A lack of negative outcomes is not proof of safety.

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 06:26:32 AM »

I thought it was super funny!  So much detail about free coffee.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »

HaHa !!!! I do know where all the free coffee is. I actually read one of MMMs posts before and so does he. A true Mustachian should always know where the free stuff is because in the game of money it all boils down to 2 things and thats income and outgo.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »
Congratulations Doug! Thoughts on starting a journal? I like the way you roll

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »

5 grand a month in free coffee and loose change, apparently.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »

Gratz on the payoff.

Survivor bias at its finest.  Nobody posting here is already dead from their goofy driving habits, so it must be risk free.  Shutting off your power assist brakes is not safe, especially when inside a tin can like an old Metro.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2016, 05:38:09 PM »

5 grand a month in free coffee and loose change, apparently.
These were all additions to my rentals paying on it and everything else that I make from my carlot also. But a huge majority came from credit card churning and just selling old junk that I used to accumulate over the years just sitting collecting dust in my garage. I have paid it off from every little bit helps great depression thinking that my grandfather instilled in me.

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »

no....I don't know what the scam is, but I got a PM asking me to call him directly. 

Don't worry...I have zero desire to cross over into the real world.  Dude needs to learn boundaries. 

And if so many people hadn't copied my message, I would have deleted it so I never have to look at it again!  Darn you Quoters!!!!  [shakes fist]
HUH ? What were you talking about ?

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »

Gratz on the payoff.

Survivor bias at its finest.  Nobody posting here is already dead from their goofy driving habits, so it must be risk free.  Shutting off your power assist brakes is not safe, especially when inside a tin can like an old Metro.
Not unsafe, the power assist breaks do little for a Metro due to the weight of the car. No biggy. Massive following distance is key.  But hey to each to their own.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
]
Not unsafe, the power assist breaks do little for a Metro due to the weight of the car. No biggy. Massive following distance is key.  But hey to each to their own.

Following distance only helps for the car that's in front of you.  It doesn't help when an object unexpectedly moves into your path, like a car swerving into your lane or a kid dashing into the street.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
]

Following distance only helps for the car that's in front of you.  It doesn't help when an object unexpectedly moves into your path, like a car swerving into your lane or a kid dashing into the street.

It also doesn't help the people behind you, who are already on edge for having to avoid the giant ladder sticking out the back of your 1992 Geo Metro.

I love this thread.