Author Topic: Homemade kale chips  (Read 5489 times)

prosaic

• Stubble
Homemade kale chips
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
I LOVE kale chips, especially as I work on eating more whole foods (Whole 30 is an inspiration). But at $5.99 for a 2.2 ounce bag, I don't like the cost.

I got a bunch of fresh kale for $1.50 at our local cheap Russian grocery store. Removed the stems, washed the leaves, and spun the kale in a salad spinner. Then you massage in oil (I used olive, though I know people who use coconut and other oils) until the leaves wilt a big and turn a darker green. Then I added lime juice and salt, mixed, and spread out on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 160-200 for 90 minutes, flipping and redistributing until it's all crunchy.

About 2 bags worth of the retail stuff, saving at least 85% the cost. To be fair, I didn't use organic kale, but this summer I will plant a TON of it -- red kale in particular is super easy to grow (an investment of a few bucks in plants or just seeds could give me a few hundred dollars in harvest), and if I can figure out how to dry it and keep it for longer periods of time I could have a huge kale chip stash!

Some people add grated parmesan, soy sauce, or make cocoa kale chips -- I plan to experiment. My kids love them.

Solo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Homemade kale chips
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
They are wonderful. My mother made them last year at Christmas for a healthy snack (which hardly made up for all of the sweets we ate) and I was hooked. I've been making them since, and sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and a little ground red pepper to give it a little kick. At $1/lb for the kale at farmers markets, it's a great snack even for those that tend to shy away from greens. Of course growing the kale yourself is even better. :-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »
I bake mine at 375 for 12 min. They are awesome!

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
They crisp up without burning?

MafiaPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
I didn't realize you could purchase them..

I'm on a very low carb lifestyle and have made them for a year.  I too bake them 350-375 for 15-20 minutes.  Never have seen a recipe calling for lower heat for longer.  Mine haven't burned.  You could play with the heat and time :)

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
I LOVE KALE CHIPS.

My favorite is the stuff with "vegan cheese," which you make by soaking a bunch of raw cashews for 1-2 hours , then blending them with a bit of the cashew water, a squeeze of lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Massage all over the kale and bake.

I'm not even vegan. This stuff is just effin' delicious.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

Yes...but it's a very quick trip from crisp to burnt at that temp. Have to set a timer!

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
I LOVE KALE CHIPS.

My favorite is the stuff with "vegan cheese," which you make by soaking a bunch of raw cashews for 1-2 hours , then blending them with a bit of the cashew water, a squeeze of lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Massage all over the kale and bake.

I'm not even vegan. This stuff is just effin' delicious.

Thanks -- I was wondering how they made the "cheeze" -- add ground roasted red pepper and it sounds divine.

I'll try cooking at a higher temp -- save some energy!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
I got several bunches of kale from my csa last month. I turned it all into kale chips and took it to a potluck party. it was all gone when I left! everyone tried it and it was very popular :)

the curly kale works well, too. thats what I used. the 20 month old I babysit even had several bites! :)

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:33 AM »
If you like spicy stuff, kale absorbs cayenne pepper very well. Cayenne Kale chips are fantastic.

http://returntoroots.krull.ca/2012/06/cayenne-kale-chips/

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »

Every oven is a bit different. 375 will burn the crap out of them in mine, but I go a bit longer at 325 and they turn out great. Like mm1970 said, there is a fine line between crisp and burnt at that temp so you really have to watch them.