Author Topic: Hit FI Yesterday  (Read 36497 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Hit FI Yesterday
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
Mini-celebration: the wife and I became FI yesterday. (With caveat: see below.)

Last week we purchased another rental (mentioned in the mini-Celebrations thread), and then yesterday we closed on an owner financed sale.  I almost posted this as a comment in that thread, but decided to start a new thread in this section of the forums, as it's a little more exciting than just closing on a rental based on what it does to our income.

With those two changes, our passive income from rentals covers our expenses and we're FI!

Caveat: That "FI," however, is based on our current spending (about 23k) average spending over the last two years.  I'm actually targeting eventually about double that (for a final FIRE budget of about 45k for us, two kids who do not yet exist, and tons of travel), so we're actually only halfway to our final FI/FIRE number.  But for now, we're FI based on our current levels.  That is, if we decided for some reason not to have kids (which we won't, but if), we could both quit tomorrow and live as lavishly as we have been indefinitely.

(This doesn't count some 6-odd figures I have tied up in a flip that, when reinvested into rentals will add about another 9-10k on top of that number, putting us well past FI, and probably putting us at about a 40% savings rate while neither of us having a job, if we spent the same as we do now.)

Whee.

Not bad for two teachers in their late 20s (who really F'd some things up in my early 20s for some big setbacks - I'm talking a 6-figure loss - that'll be a fun post one day - but somehow did a few things right).

Okay, thanks for letting me brag for a minute, wouldn't want to share with most friends/family due to the situations they're in.

Now onward! Another few years to get the other half of our targeted income for total FI.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:38:27 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GreenGuava

• Stubble
Re: Hit FI Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Major congratulations!

probably putting us at about a 40% savings rate while neither of us having a job, if we spent the same as we do now.

Wow. And here I was thinking I had a good savings rate while having a job...

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
Hearty congratulations, arebelspy!

Would you mind doing or pointing to a briefest history your own 'stache? I get the vaguest impression you're a titan of real estate, but was curious of the details.

(Basically I don't think I'm cut out for real estate, but was wondering if returns from that for you were significantly greater than available REIT returns and resulted in this happy news. And how much was good old fashioned savings %)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:16:26 PM by Reepekg »

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
Congratulations! It must be an amazing feeling to finally get there.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
Wow this is absolutely the best news to post in here! Congrats!

Like the others have suggested, the real estate thing is really what made all of this possible for you. Would love to hear a more in depth background of how you got started from your first rental, and made it to the spot you are at now.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
I've been waiting for this post.  It was only a matter of time!  You're a beast!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »
WTG!  Congratulations!

jamccain

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
Rock On!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »
I try and limit when and where I swear, but this seems like an appropriate time and place...

That's fuckin' awesome. Congratulations!

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
Well done! Big props!

FrugalUndercover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:59:41 PM »
Excellent news!! Congrats Arebelspy!

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »
Congratulations!!!  Every milestone should be celebrated!  Oh, happy day.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
Congrats you guys! Inspiring! Excited to read that you 2 are teachers (like I am, sometimes). It's been noted before that teachers can have mixed results w/saving effectively, but you've broken that stereotype.

Also don't mean to hijack your FI thread, but what subjects do you teach? I'm an art teacher at an international school in Beijing, and am loving it...you could definitely combine professional teaching w/travel if you ever wanted a change of scene. Salaries mean you can save and travel a lot from your overseas base.

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 12:42:14 AM »
Congrats on the amazing milestone. Thanks for inspiring us to reach for FI

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 03:39:03 AM »
Woo-hoo, brag away! Congratulations, that is inspirational.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »
That is awesome, congratulations! Being somewhat new here I don't know much of the story, but it is so inspiring regardless.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 05:03:28 AM »
Congrats!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 05:28:46 AM »
Congrats :D

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 05:56:42 AM »
Bravo!

bokonon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 06:43:24 AM »
Incredible.  Amazing!  Astounding!  You have to love this forum, the pleasure everyone gets from sharing in your accomplishment :)!  I too want details on the whole story (maybe a link if it's somewhere in the past?).

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:29 AM »
Congratulations!!!!

It will make all of those education initiatives you don't agree with easier to bear knowing you could just say "see ya" if you wanted to. 

Such great news!

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »
Big Congrats ARS!

Best,
Mr. PoP

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
Very cool :toast: 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
Well done Rebel! Are you doing anything differently now? Any purchases you've deferred to this point, for example?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
Thank everyone!  I love this community.  Y'all are so nice.  :D

@expatartist: I teach a 4/5 combo grade this year, the wife teaches High School English (mostly Juniors, AP literature, also does the yearbook).

I don't yet have a history of my 'stache.  I much more enjoy helping others and answering their questions than talking about my own.

But since several people asked, I'll do a short timeline (and maybe someday a more exhaustive post):
- Graduated college in 07, started teaching.  Wife graduated at same time, subbed for a year, started teaching in 08. (Both Teach for America Alumni, if that means anything to you.)
- Bought a condo to live in in Vegas. In 07.  Whoops?
- Made big investing mistakes in the stock market, lost 6-figures from that in 08. Whoops?
- Bought a rental in 08.  Saw both condo and rental plummet over the next few years.  Whoops?
- Had negative net worth from 2008-2010 due to these last few items.
- Hit 0 net worth in approximately June 2010 (didn't track net worth at that point, but working backwards that's the best I can figure -- first recorded net worth was 62k in April 2011).
- Bought a few more properties in 2010.  Saved lots in 2011 while looking for deals.  Bought a few more long term holds in 2012, plus did some flips and bought a note.
- Bought a few more properties in 2013.
- Hit FI 2013 based on spending levels at that time.

(Future plans: aiming for full FI in 2016 based on a higher spending level, about double 2013 level.  Planning two kids and lots of travel in FIRE - likely living around the world in different spots for 3-6 months and not even having a permanent U.S. home per say - so want a higher budget for those reasons.)

Nothing changed spending-wise from 2007 to now (~20-25k/yr).

Income-wise I started out in 2007-2008 grossing about 35k (and wife less, as she was subbing), which grew to 42k each after a few years when we got Master's Degrees.  Next year, 2013-2014 school year we get our first cost of living raises in years, so our gross base pay will about 44k each, or 88k together.  We also do lots of "extra" work (tutoring, Saturday school, summer school, prep sells, etc.) so that boosted our income (stuff we enjoyed doing, however).  We manage our own rentals for now, but basically just collect rent and call repairmen, I don't do any repair work myself.

Massive savings rates (always north of 70%) made the early "setbacks" not so bad, and helped propel us forward.  If we pushed to being quite frugal, we could probably save 80-90%, but we live pretty cushy lives.

We also enjoy travel, so we've done plenty of that along the way, including such lavish trips as (all of the below are separate trips):
- Over 2 months backpacking through Europe
- A week in Barbados
- A week in Loreto Bay, Mexico
- Many trips to Southern California to see my in-laws (at least 4x per year, approximately 20-25 trips) and Seattle to see my family (at least once or twice per year, approximately 8-10 trips)
- A week cruise out of Miami to St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten
- A week in Athens, Greece (separate from Europe backpacking trip)
- A week in NYC/CT
- 3-4 days in Boston
- Trip to WA peninsula to go to the beach/rain forest
- I also individually (without the wife) did quite a bit of traveling for a hobby (Texas several times, New Jersey, Philly, Chicago a few times, Indianapolis, etc. - probably another 11 individual weekend trips to cities in the U.S. for just myself)

Most (all?) of those were done quite frugally, with deals, special promotions, whatever. 

We also have taken advantage of being locals in Vegas, seeing various "entertainment" things such as:
- Cirque du Soleil's Beatles' Love
- Penn and Teller
- 2-3 other magic shows
- Wayne Brady
- 2-3 other comedian shows
- Phantom of the Opera
- Shark Reef
- Madam Tussauds' Wax Museum

Again, most (all?) of those were done quite frugally, with deals, special promotions, whatever.  In fact, almost every single one of those were free (and the ones we paid for were usually at least half off or more).

That's not an exhaustive list of entertainment stuff, those are just the items people would generally think of as expensive. We've done other cheap/free entertainment stuff like camping at Mt. Charleston multiple times, camping trips to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley, hiking at Red Rock, etc. etc.

(These experiences were added because I figured I might as well type them up now, to counter the "but you're living like misers at that spending level!" arguments - not that I'll see it from you guys, but when I use these crib notes to write a more thorough history of our stache it'll be helpful at that point.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:54:06 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
For your FI income, are you only counting the rental income?  Are your taxable paper accounts generating any significant interest/dividend income at this point?

One thing is for sure.  Between your pensions, rentals, and 457 plans, you guys are going to have one heck of a post age 59 1/2 income. 

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
Congratulations, what a humongous accomplishment!

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »

Thats really awesome :) -  careful thought and hard work.  Congratulations!

avonlea

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »
That's awesome!  Congratulations!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
For your FI income, are you only counting the rental income?

Yep.  Doesn't count the other stuff you mentioned, or the other money I have tied up in that flip that I mentioned, or the equity paydown that is occurring on my rentals as well.  Just cash flow, at very conservative vacancy/maintenance/etc. assumptions.

Are you doing anything differently now? Any purchases you've deferred to this point, for example?

Strippers and blow. Nope.  As you can see from my previous post (which I was typing when you made your reply), we live really cushy lives and do lots of fun entertainment stuff and travel.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Gotta love that equity paydown.  My tenants are adding around $50k to my equity every year right now.  The paydown will only increase as the loans get closer to pay-off.  Once the loans are paid off, the payments convert to income.

Like I said, you are are going to have one heck of a "traditional" retirement period income.  Who cares if Social Security is around then?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:02:40 AM by Another Reader »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »
Cool.  It's nice when the good guys win one, isn't it?

For your 2016 goal, do you have to maintain a certain pace of purchases?  Are there still bargains everywhere, or are you starting to see margins decline?  Would you have to move up to bigger condo/apartment buildings, or can you pretty much keep doing for three more years what you've been doing for the last few?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Mad props to the two of you, that's quite an accomplishment. Do you plan on putting your day jobs on the back burner in the future? If not, where do we sign up to have you teach our 4th graders? :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
Who cares if Social Security is around then?

Since we don't pay into Social Security at all, certainly not me.  :)

For your 2016 goal, do you have to maintain a certain pace of purchases?  Are there still bargains everywhere, or are you starting to see margins decline?  Would you have to move up to bigger condo/apartment buildings, or can you pretty much keep doing for three more years what you've been doing for the last few?

Good questions.  Yes, I'm planning on continuing to purchase more over the next three years (probably 2-3/year).

Definitely not seeing as good of deals as the steals available in 2010/2011, but there are still deals out there.  I may be switching to long distance investing for awhile, though, to take advantage of other markets.  Vegas is having an inventory issue (everywhere is, but we're one of the worst due to a legislative issue - "AB 284" if you're interested and want to Google it).  I expect I'll be back investing in Vegas if and when our market loosens a little, but very shortly I expect to purchase some properties out of state (likely Houston).

I think I can comfortably hit our 46k cash flow goal continuing to do what we're doing (SFRs).  At some point I may consider doing some trade ups (ala 1031 exchanges, or otherwise), however no current plans to do so.  I keep an open mind though.  Will likely get a bit more into notes as well.

Do you plan on putting your day jobs on the back burner in the future? If not, where do we sign up to have you teach our 4th graders? :)

Not yet, we both love our jobs, but yes the point of FI for us is early retirement.  If we never had kids, I think we'd both keep teaching and travel in the summers (we'd probably stop teaching summer school to do so, but continue tutoring, Saturday schools, etc. just because we enjoy them).  But I want to spend my time raising my kids, so we plan to stop teaching shortly after that point to become full time parents, and then at that point we want to spend the time traveling.

As to the latter: come to Vegas!  :D

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »
Huge congratulations!  I'm so happy for you both.

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
Very, very impressive.  Congratulations! 

Always appreciate your insight and analysis on each of your forum posts.  Lots of great advice, especially about real estate.

Once you quit your job the MMM forum can look forward to even more posts from you, right?!?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
The secret of the FI community is that when you FIRE you have to start posting on forums and blogging full time. Don't tell the IRP.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
... but very shortly I expect to purchase some properties out of state (likely Houston).
Every time we visit there it looks like Hawaii real estate at one-third the price... particularly in the three-mile radius around the Rice U campus and Texas Medical Center. 

Of course there are a couple neighborhoods in that area that look like Kahala at twice the price, too.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
A bit late to the party, but big congrats to you sir!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
Once you quit your job the MMM forum can look forward to even more posts from you, right?!?

Absolutely.  My goal is to someday get the dryer sheet thing figured out.

It'll take lots of hard work and posting.

Thanks again everyone for indulging me, congratulating me, and celebrating with me. :)

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
Excellent job and thanks for sharing your story.

Do you have other investments besides real estate? I'm in NV also and ran into the same issue with rising prices so I've been buying stocks instead. I'm about 50/50 RE and stocks right now. I bought my properties with cash during 2010-2012, should have used leverage to buy more when the buying was good.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
man that is so freaking awesome!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!!

seanquixote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

Huge congrats!! 

And thanks for sharing that brief rundown of your 'stache history...

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

How do you manage this?  Is this one of the rare financial perks to being a teacher, or is there a way everyone can do this?

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »
Congrats!!! :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »

How do you manage this?  Is this one of the rare financial perks to being a teacher, or is there a way everyone can do this?

Yes, it's part of being a teacher in NV.  Whether or not teachers pay into SS varies state by state (and perhaps county by county?)

I don't mind at all, but the older teachers complain that they won't be getting Social Security when they retire.

So careful of to whom you call it a "perk."   :)

(They don't want to hear that they've had that extra money in their pocket for the last 20-30 years, and should have been investing it, instead they claim they'd have liked to have that money taken from them all along. Sure.)

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
Well holy everloving krap!  Congratulations!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to writing a similar post... in 10 years :)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
Congratulations! Very exciting!!

Nancy

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
Well done (especially your sweet trips)! Thanks for sharing the ups and downs. Congrats!