Author Topic: Have a sub-$200/month Grocery Budget  (Read 430094 times)

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Have a sub-$200/month Grocery Budget
« Reply #850 on: November 22, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
Success!

Turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes w/marshmallows, and salad.

Pie was okay. Somehow my custard didn't set. Not a flavour disaster, but messy. The crust was the right consistency, but it was too....I dunno, oatmeal-y. Which makes sense, given that I used oats as a base. I guess I still have some work to do.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: November 22, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »
Also, did a Walmart errand yesterday for a bunch of other stuff, but also picked up some cranberry sauce.

Cranberry sauce: $.99

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: November 24, 2018, 01:29:49 AM »
I spent $435 CDN last month on groceries, including paper, soap and a couple of minor presents for my nieces.
Normally I would be excited, but this is just a bit too low for our family of 4 adult sized eaters.  (and DH and I could stand to eat less, you know what I mean?).

This is $100 less than our trend rate of about $500.   (Which is $370 CDN for 4 people, or $92USD pp, pretty ok for our area and the fact that I keep "junk" and packaged food for the teens)

So - yesterday I found out why.  DS, who is 16 and has a part time job, pulled his budget for the past month.  We used it as a learning exercise in using excel and in budgeting.  What do I find?  He has spent $100 at the donut coffee shop last month and $100 at the school cafeteria, and another $40 at a vietnamese place that he goes to with friends / dates.   Plus he gets free food at his job every other week.  Plus he gets fed dinner at friends' homes.  (I feed his friends too, but we live a bit further out and they don't come here much)   Here is the mystery solved.  I am $100 lower on my budget because my son has been eating out and paying $200+ per month on food.

We talked, and hopefully he will start to take more food from home in future.   (It's not like he doesn't have 6 home made burritos in the freezer waiting for him right now, or anything)...

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: November 25, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
Grocery stop today at King Soopers:

Grapes (4lb): $1.74
Onions (10lb): $5.98

Total receipt = $7.72. I should have paid more for the grapes (they were 88¢/lb), but the store's register systems had gone down for probably an hour, and the cashier couldn't get the second bag of grapes to scan, so she comped them in order to facilitate moving the line along.

In other news...I had also stopped in a Safeway on the north (i.e., "rich" end of town) on my way home from a craigslist errand, and wow. It is weird shopping in a rich people's grocery store, lol! Maybe I just happened to hit it on a good day, but all the endcap/seasonal merchandise was perfectly arranged, the floors were pretty sparkling clean, I don't know what exactly it was, but the store atmosphere was, like, upper-middle-class, instead of the normal working-class Safeways I normally shop at.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: November 25, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »
I’ve also noticed fancier grocery stores in wealthier areas, and it even occurs with upscale chains like Whole Foods: the store in Burns Park, Ann Arbor is definitely fancier than the one in Midtown Detroit.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #855 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
Yum, @APowers!  Well done!  (Referencing your pie, cookies and pseudo smores, LOL.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:01:56 PM by MountainGal »

VCW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #856 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
I registered so I could follow this thread! So inspiring!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #857 on: November 30, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
@APowers , I assume that the King Sooper coupons are the same as the Kroger coupons. If so, there's a Johnsonville sausage coupon for $2.49/pack (up to 5 packs per coupon) and another for Ore-Ida potato products for $0.99/ bag (also up to 5 per coupon). It's only good through tomorrow.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: November 30, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »
@APowers , I assume that the King Sooper coupons are the same as the Kroger coupons. If so, there's a Johnsonville sausage coupon for $2.49/pack (up to 5 packs per coupon) and another for Ore-Ida potato products for $0.99/ bag (also up to 5 per coupon). It's only good through tomorrow.

I saw those coupons. I generally try for potatoes less than 50¢/lb (best case scenario for the Ore-Ida), and sausage at $2/lb or less...so while they're significantly cheaper than the regular price, they still don't quite hit my "must buy" price points. :(

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: November 30, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
I registered so I could follow this thread! So inspiring!

Thanks! I'm glad this has been a helpful journal!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: November 30, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
I've basically been doing mostly leftovers and eating through the fridge since Thanksgiving, so haven't been grocery shopping for a while. But I have a couple things:

Discount store:

Bread: $.99

------------------------------------------------------------

Sprouts:

Oranges: $3.98
Grapes: $1.45

Total receipt = $5.43

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: December 02, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »
I think you do what I do -- remove half the grapes before buying the bag?   Grapes are definitely a treat around here, even this time of year, and buying a full bag costs a lot at $1.98/lb (local sale price).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #862 on: December 02, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »
I think you do what I do -- remove half the grapes before buying the bag?   Grapes are definitely a treat around here, even this time of year, and buying a full bag costs a lot at $1.98/lb (local sale price).

I miss the open grape bags! I always feel guilty taking some out. Luckily my daughter loves frozen grapes, so I wash and freeze 1/2.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: December 02, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »

I miss the open grape bags! I always feel guilty taking some out. Luckily my daughter loves frozen grapes, so I wash and freeze 1/2.

I thought that was why they left them open - so you could just buy as much as you needed.  You mean I'm not supposed to be doing that?  Well, I'll probably keep doing it until the produce manager tells me to stop.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: December 02, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
I've been "away" from the forum for some months. This excellent thread reminds me of the great work you do and the great gems on this forum. I loved where you looked at DC sales flyers. I must admit I often think, "Oh, too bad, I'm in a HCOL," and blow off savings on food. Good kick in the tuchus, thanks!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #865 on: December 04, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »
Here's November. Even with Thanksgiving, I'm still only at $169! I feel like I may just end the year with more in my pantry than I started with, even. Only one more month for this series. I'm actually kind of surprised that I've kept this up as long as I have. I feel like I have a tendency to start a blog/writing series and just let it peter out instead of seeing it through to the finish.

$61.08 --- Safeway [3 visits]
$43.39 --- King Soopers [4 visits]
$31.17 --- Sprouts [4 visits]
$4.65 --- Discount Store [2 visits]
$27.82 --- Costco [2 visits]
$.99 --- Walmart [1 visit]

______

$169.10 --- Total Food Spending for November.

$124.70 = January
$210.46 = February ($201.28 if you don't count eating out)
$286.43 = March ($277.78 if you don't count eating out)
$185.53 = April ($172.57 if you don't count eating out)
$238.63 = May ($108.63 if you don't count eating out)
$303.50 = June ($194.48 if you don't count eating out)
$266.13 = July ($253.74 if you don't count eating out)
$264.58 = August ($255.93 if you don't count eating out)
$273.95 = September ($224.38 if you don't count eating out)
$160.27 = October ($144.96 if you don't count eating out)
$169.10 = November

YTD Averages:

$225.75 = Monthly average (including eating out)
$193.42 =  Monthly average (not counting eating out)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:24:48 AM by APowers »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
I have to say when I first started reading this thread I thought "no way I could do that, I'm in a VHCOL area, and eat a lot of organic food, etc , blah blah" but you've inspired me to give it a try! Of course I'm buying for just one person (me) but $200 is a stretch for me in my location/and with some food restrictions. But I really want to see if I can average $200/month for a year! I think I currently probably average about $350, so it will be a great savings if I can make it work.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #867 on: December 05, 2018, 04:24:00 AM »
Thank you for keeping this going all year @APowers!  Your consistency and accountability this year are what make it one of the best threads on the forum.  Totally badass.   

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #868 on: December 05, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »
Did a Safeway errand a couple days ago:

Lettuce: $1.76
Ice cream: $2.97

Total = $4.73. First grocery errand of December, and I'm buying ice cream. I'm okay with that, lol!

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #869 on: December 05, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »
Keeping food costs low is quite possible in London, especially on a vegetarian diet. I usually spend about 15 pouds ($20-25) per week for 3 meals a day, and I live alone. This includes fresh fruit/ veggies from the market, which are much cheaper than at the supermarket. Since I live in a less affluent area, I believe they ship surplus fresh produce from fancier locations to us, and then sell it cheaply.

Other reasonably priced foods I get at Sainsbury's, mostly own brand products:
Whole wheat toast with peanut butter, vegan 'fake' butter and jam
Whole wheat pasta, rice
Own brand versions of pasta sauce
Lettuce
Lentils or beans to go with my salads
Scottish rolled oats
Some little sweet treats.

I can find virtually all these things for a pound or less, so even if I buy many items, my grocery shop will be cheap. The most expensive food I get is soy yoghurt or almond milk, depending on the week.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: December 06, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Safeway stop on my way home this morning:

Milk: $1.99
Brown sugar: $3.96

Total receipt = $5.95. I normally buy brown sugar at Costco for ~65¢/lb, but this way, I get it for only 50¢ and I get to have the darker, more molasses-y iteration. Double win!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »

I thought that was why they left them open - so you could just buy as much as you needed.  You mean I'm not supposed to be doing that?  Well, I'll probably keep doing it until the produce manager tells me to stop.

I usually want enough grapes that I buy the whole bag without taking any out, but I also am able to get them for under $1/lb, so I'm not as concerned with trying to economize on quantity.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #872 on: December 07, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
Kroger and affiliates have some really nice loss leaders this weekend, with an emphasis on baking supplies. Today I bought:
  • 25 pounds of flour
  • 12 pounds of sugar
  • 2 pounds of brown sugar
  • 2 pounds of powdered sugar
  • 5 pounds of peanut butter
  • 7.5 quarts of cooking oil
  • 3.5 pounds of chocolate chips
  • 3 large brownie mix packages
  • 2 chocolate chip cookie mixes
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 5 pounds of cheese
  • 1.5 pounds of cream cheese
  • 1.5 pounds of granola
  • 1 carton of almond milk
  • 1 carton of orange juice
  • 1 carton of soy yogurt
  • 1 can of peaches
  • 1 quart of half-and-half
  • 2 jars of baby food
  • 12 oz fresh blackberries
  • 6 oz fresh blueberries
Grand total: $77.22. Even with a few more expensive things on there, it still comes out to over 2,000 calories per dollar. Not a bad trip!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: December 08, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »
Can you explain what a loss leader is and how do you know when you find one?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #874 on: December 08, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
A loss leader is an item a store offers below cost in order to lure people into the store to buy more profitable items. My rule of thumb for how to find one is to look at the weekly ad for things where they limit the number you can buy at the advertised price. If an item was even slightly profitable for them to sell at that price they would be happy for you to buy as many as you like.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #875 on: December 08, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Oh, will keep an eye out for loss leaders!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »

I keep track of what normal prices and "sale" prices and "do i have space for 100 in my pantry?" prices. When it's below the price it's normally on "sale" for, almost certainly you have a loss leader.

They're called "loss leaders" because they are offered for sale at a loss (no net profit for the store), in order to draw you into the store to buy the rest of your grocery list, plus whatever impulse items they can influence you to buy.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: December 11, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »

I keep track of what normal prices and "sale" prices and "do i have space for 100 in my pantry?" prices. When it's below the price it's normally on "sale" for, almost certainly you have a loss leader.

They're called "loss leaders" because they are offered for sale at a loss (no net profit for the store), in order to draw you into the store to buy the rest of your grocery list, plus whatever impulse items they can influence you to buy.

Also worth noting that this is why some of the best loss leaders can be found before holidays, particularly the ones where people tend to do a lot of home cooking. Even people who do very little cooking the rest of the year are out in droves and it's easiest to go to one store, fill up your cart, and be done with it.

Just checked one of my local ads and they have whole hams for $0.79/lb. That's well under the price to buy a whole unprocessed hog so they are almost certainly selling at a loss.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: December 11, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
I feel like I haven't bought hardly any groceries this month, and it's already the 11th! I did make a couple quick stops this morning, though:

King Soopers:

Aloe "juice": $0 (freebie)
Cream cheese: $4.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Safeway:

Lettuce: $.79
Eggs: $1.09

Total receipt = $1.88

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #879 on: December 12, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
I feel like this thread should be linked to some kind of award- really. $200 a month on groceries is amazing. I could do it-I’m just not that disciplined. I love reading about it though! You’ve given me a good lesson this year. Thank you.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #880 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:58 AM »
I feel like this thread should be linked to some kind of award- really. $200 a month on groceries is amazing. I could do it-I’m just not that disciplined. I love reading about it though! You’ve given me a good lesson this year. Thank you.

I agree @couponvan -- Thread started, and APowers' thread nominated.  :)  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-been-your-favorite-thread-on-the-forum-this-year-best-of-2018/

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #881 on: December 13, 2018, 06:39:51 AM »

I agree @couponvan -- Thread started, and APowers' thread nominated.  :)  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-been-your-favorite-thread-on-the-forum-this-year-best-of-2018/

Sweet!! I agree this was an awesome thread for 2018.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: December 13, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
Did a couple more grocery stops on my way home from work today:

Save-A-Lot

Oranges: $2.00

---------------------------------------------------------------

Safeway

Milk: $1.88
Cream cheese: $1.98

Total receipt = $3.86

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Discount store

Gluten-free tortillas: $1.29

Total receipt = $2.28

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: December 14, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
More food acquired!

King Soopers:

Concentrated coffee: $0 (freebie)
Cold brew coffee: $0 (freebie)
Cheese: $4.95

Total receipt = $4.95. I don't know what I'm going to do with the coffee drinks, as I don't even care for coffee...maybe I'll put them in the basement for a future Airbnb guest.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gifts!

My customer is in the process of moving, and asked if I wanted any of her surplus pantry items. I told her "I won't say no to free food *lol*". She gave me TWO turkeys, 4 cans of black beans, 2 cans of garbanzo beans, and 6 cans of chicken broth. I had even considered buying just one more turkey while they're on sale...but not now, lol! We'll be eating turkey for the rest of the month, at this rate.

-------------------------------------------------------

Costco:

Oil: $7.89
Almonds: $10.99
Tortillas: $3.95

Total receipt = 22.83

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #884 on: December 14, 2018, 10:50:13 PM »
Also, today, SO interviewed for a job she really wants...and she nailed it. They basically hired her on the spot. W00T! She is awesome, and I'm super happy and proud of her.

So we saved our leftovers for tomorrow's dinner, and went out for pizza. At Costco, of course. $14.31

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
Great thread! I read it start to finish yesterday and today. I just have a few random comments (and possibly-helpful tidbits?) on things I read along the way:

For those who say oatmeal doesn't fill them up... yeah, I'm with you there, at least if you're following the usual recommended serving size of 1/4 - 1/3 cup or using those little packets. That's not nearly enough food! Maybe that's meant for people who are eating a lot of other dishes with it? I use a full cup of rolled oats, plus an equal amount of water, plus at least an equal amount of fruit. When I use steel cut oats, I can get away with just over half a cup of oats because they seem to absorb more water (and maybe they're also more filling because they require more energy to break down?). And I still add a ton of fruit.

Protein combining is a myth from the 1950s. Even Wikipedia says so. The author who popularized this idea in the '70s retracted her assertion in the '80s. It's like saying the bricks and mortar for a new house have to be dropped off at exactly the same time in order to be able to build properly, but that's not the case for a human body any more than it is for a house. If you're eating a reasonably varied diet, your body will be able to put the amino acids it needs together even if it gets some at one time and some at another. That said, I do love beans and rice from all sorts of different international cuisines!

Someone mentioned how expensive berries are. Yes, in the grocery store the prices are eye-popping unless you happen to find a great sale. I like to go berry picking in the summer. I can get just about all the free blackberries I want, and for strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries I go to a pick-your-own berry farm and get about 10 pounds  in an hour or two of picking for $2.25/pound. (I do this 3-4 times per summer, so I end up with a massive amount of berries. Thank God for our huge freezer.) It's decent entertainment, too, on a nice day. I don't have kids, but the kids there seem to enjoy it, and I either listen to a podcast or have fun overhearing other people picking and talking to each other about what they're going to make with their haul. I put all of my hand-picked berries in our huge upright freezer and put berries on my oatmeal year-round.

Ethnic markets are another lifesaver in terms of keeping costs down. I love Indian and Asian (or should I say other Asian? I know some consider India part of Asia?) foods, and I can get spices and other things specific to those cuisines pretty cheap at their markets. Some produce is cheaper at those places, too, like Japanese sweet potatoes and bok choy.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, APowers! This must have taken an incredible amount of time in your already-busy life!

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #886 on: December 17, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Following for ideas!

I'm spending about $600 a month for two people right now, but that includes household items as well. I need inspiration for how to get cheaper "real" food (I have to cook everything for me from scratch due to allergies).

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:15 PM »
Hey all, I know it's been a bit since I checked in, but I'm here. And not spending anything. I am due to make a Sprouts run for fresh veggies in the next day or two.

Mostly just trying to keep up with work and running the household. Dinners have been pretty basic-- I've cooked up one of those turkeys, and we've done that for a couple dinners now, plus three more dinners' worth of meat in the freezer.

I'm glad that this thread has been helpful. Thanks for the comments, GreenSheep.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:46 AM »
Following for ideas!

I'm spending about $600 a month for two people right now, but that includes household items as well. I need inspiration for how to get cheaper "real" food (I have to cook everything for me from scratch due to allergies).

Cooking from scratch is a great way to save on the food budget. Tracking prices and buying *ingredients* on sale is where that savings actually materializes.

Almost always, you should buy ingredients, and not foods-- i.e., meat/potatoes/carrots/onions rather than stew in a can, or flour/salt/eggs/baking powder instead of pancake mix or Eggos.

Mostly, I just pay attention to the prices of the ingredients that I use, and buy when those prices are at a low. I also purposely try to use ingredients that are inexpensive rather than mid- or higher-priced. For instance, Kiddo is on a gluten-free diet; but instead of buying gluten-free bread ($7/two small loaves), I plan my meals around naturally gluten-free staples like rice, potatoes, corn, or beans ($.50-1.00/lb or less).

A lot of people keep a literal price book-- a record of what prices they pay for what items-- I do this too, but in my head. This helps immensely with realizing that *oh, olives sometimes go on sale for $.88/can. When they hit that price, I need to buy like 30 cans to last me until next time they go on sale like that. Then I won't have to buy them at $2.00/can.*

If you have any Mormon friends, ask them to show you their pantry/food storage system. Seriously. Almost certainly they have one, and it's probably more organized than mine. Maybe they go a bit overboard, but likely you can learn some things about rotation and how to keep/use bulk buys of staples.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:35:37 PM by APowers »

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #889 on: December 18, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
That's great advice APowers, thank you!

My grocery shopping does tend to be "what do we need" rather than "what's on sale". I like the idea of tracking the price of foods somewhere (though I'll be looking to my phone for that and not my memory lol).

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: December 18, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
If you have any Mormon friends, ask them to show you their pantry/food storage system. Seriously. Almost certainly they have one, and it's probably more organized than mine. Maybe they go a bit overboard, but likely you can learn some things about rotation and how to keep/use bulk buys of staples.
The teaching of The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints is that you should aim to have a year's supply, if possible. The year's supply goal hasn't been strongly emphasized church wide for quite a while - but a general emphasis persists on being prepared for short-term emergencies (72 hour kits) and storing some provisions as finances and other resources permit. I've seen a great variety of levels of preparedness among church members (from none at all to well organized systems for storing and rotating supplies). The bulk of my personal storage came from taking cases of #10 cans of wheat off the hands of someone preparing for an interstate move, but we also stock up on non-perishable items we use regularly when they are on sale just like you do. In some areas the church operates "Family Home Storage" centers that offer staples in #10 cans, mylar pouches, or bulk bags (for dry pack canning at home). Information on official church resources can be found at https://providentliving.lds.org/?lang=eng. Spendypants members of the church might make use of Thrive premium freeze dried foods and Shelf Reliance storage systems. If you know any organized (this is where you eliminate me), frugal members of the church, they might have thought of better ideas.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #891 on: December 19, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »
Great thread! I read it start to finish yesterday and today. I just have a few random comments (and possibly-helpful tidbits?) on things I read along the way:

For those who say oatmeal doesn't fill them up... yeah, I'm with you there, at least if you're following the usual recommended serving size of 1/4 - 1/3 cup or using those little packets. That's not nearly enough food! Maybe that's meant for people who are eating a lot of other dishes with it? I use a full cup of rolled oats, plus an equal amount of water, plus at least an equal amount of fruit. When I use steel cut oats, I can get away with just over half a cup of oats because they seem to absorb more water (and maybe they're also more filling because they require more energy to break down?). And I still add a ton of fruit.

Protein combining is a myth from the 1950s. Even Wikipedia says so. The author who popularized this idea in the '70s retracted her assertion in the '80s. It's like saying the bricks and mortar for a new house have to be dropped off at exactly the same time in order to be able to build properly, but that's not the case for a human body any more than it is for a house. If you're eating a reasonably varied diet, your body will be able to put the amino acids it needs together even if it gets some at one time and some at another. That said, I do love beans and rice from all sorts of different international cuisines!

Someone mentioned how expensive berries are. Yes, in the grocery store the prices are eye-popping unless you happen to find a great sale. I like to go berry picking in the summer. I can get just about all the free blackberries I want, and for strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries I go to a pick-your-own berry farm and get about 10 pounds  in an hour or two of picking for $2.25/pound. (I do this 3-4 times per summer, so I end up with a massive amount of berries. Thank God for our huge freezer.) It's decent entertainment, too, on a nice day. I don't have kids, but the kids there seem to enjoy it, and I either listen to a podcast or have fun overhearing other people picking and talking to each other about what they're going to make with their haul. I put all of my hand-picked berries in our huge upright freezer and put berries on my oatmeal year-round.

Ethnic markets are another lifesaver in terms of keeping costs down. I love Indian and Asian (or should I say other Asian? I know some consider India part of Asia?) foods, and I can get spices and other things specific to those cuisines pretty cheap at their markets. Some produce is cheaper at those places, too, like Japanese sweet potatoes and bok choy.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, APowers! This must have taken an incredible amount of time in your already-busy life!
I use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of rolled oats, then an equal amount of milk, and an equal amount of water.

Most of the time, I add in 1/2 a banana while cooking.  If no bananas, then a shredded apple or some raisins.

But the key to filling me up?  I big ass spoonful of peanut butter on top.  Or maybe an equal # of calories of toasted walnuts.  (We are talking a couple hundred calories of nuts here.  I don't skimp.)

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
Dinner last night: pasta with ham, brussels sprouts, and gravy. Can confirm, was delicious. Sorry for the potato quality photo.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: December 20, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
Stopped at Safeway on my way home this morning:

Grapes (2lb): $1.77

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: December 21, 2018, 06:05:36 AM »
Hey all, I know it's been a bit since I checked in, but I'm here. And not spending anything. I am due to make a Sprouts run for fresh veggies in the next day or two.

Mostly just trying to keep up with work and running the household. Dinners have been pretty basic-- I've cooked up one of those turkeys, and we've done that for a couple dinners now, plus three more dinners' worth of meat in the freezer.

I'm glad that this thread has been helpful. Thanks for the comments, GreenSheep.

I hope you made bone broth from the turkey bones. I made some from an oven roasters and it was awesome!

Do you ever buy steaks, rib roasts, pot roasts?

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #895 on: December 21, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »

I hope you made bone broth from the turkey bones. I made some from an oven roasters and it was awesome!

Do you ever buy steaks, rib roasts, pot roasts?

You bet I made broth. And gravy from the pan drippings. I actually just yesterday used the broth to cook up a batch of beans (some for tomorrow, some for the freezer). And I'll find somewhere to use all the fat I skimmed off the top, too.

Sometimes I buy roasts....*looks at year-long thread*... Well, I guess I don't, lol! I guess I just haven't seen them on sale at a good enough price compared to ground beef, and hamburger seems a lot more versatile, even when they're the same price.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: December 23, 2018, 07:03:35 PM »
Grocery shopping on friday:

Sprouts:

Cucumbers: $1.00
Green beans (1.2lb): $.95
Green peppers: $1.00
Avocados: $2.00
Lettuce: $1.49

Total receipt = $6.44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Soopers:

Vanilla: $1.39

Real vanilla is insane right now ($30 for 16oz? I don't think so.), so imitation vanilla it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safeway:

Soda: $1.42
Cheese: $2.99
Oranges: $3.99

Total receipt = $8.40. I wanted an actual chunk of cheese for my birthday celebration comestibles (fancypants home-baked bread with cheese and meat. Nom).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discount Store:

Gluten-free pasta (7 boxes): $8.33

Total receipt = $9.32. Gluten free pasta for almost $1/box? I literally bought all the boxes they had on the shelf. It's SO expensive to buy normally, and it's not like it will go bad.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #897 on: December 24, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
Cooked up the other turkey. made some crusty bread in my dutch oven this morning, and had some sauteed green beans. While turkey's not my favourite, bread with gravy is pretty solid.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: December 24, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
Cooked up the other turkey. made some crusty bread in my dutch oven this morning, and had some sauteed green beans. While turkey's not my favourite, bread with gravy is pretty solid.

Also, a meal with leftovers for about 85¢!

I mean, I did get the turkey for free, so that's a bit cheating, but still. Bread only costs 36¢, and about 48¢ for the green beans.

I'll pull all the leftover meat from the turkey tomorrow, and use some for dinner and then pack the rest for the freezer. I may even freeze a portion of the gravy for another day--I'm mostly the only one who will end up eating it though, so maybe I'll just use it for lunches until it's gone.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: December 25, 2018, 02:33:58 AM »
I need some help here. A while back I bought some boysenberries (canned) on line. I remembered as a kid we would get yogurt with boysenberries in it and it was so good. However, I have never seen that combo offered since I was a kid. I bought something like 8 15oz cans. I did use it in yogurt but OMG, the seeds are terrible! They get stuck in your teeth and it is nasty. The texture of the berries are pretty soft due to the canning process and they look like large blackberries. So now I have all these cans that I want to use up but the seeds are turning me off. I suppose I could push them thru a mesh strainer but would lose most of the  pulp and seeds and end up with juice. I am not so inclined to make jelly either.