Author Topic: Got rid of Facebook  (Read 35111 times)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
Re: Got rid of Facebook
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:44 PM »
I was on FB for a few years and it mostly just became a drain on some of my free time and the constant negativity started to bother me. The final straw was all the data breach issues they've had over the past couple of years. I finally deleted my account and keep up with a much smaller group of people via Instagram & Twitter. Much more relevant content as most FI/Frugal/RE personalities have a presence on one or the other. I don't miss FB at all and if there is anything going on that I need to know about, my wife will tell me.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »
I've gotten to hate facebook over the last few years. People revealed too much drama about themselves, and I got so disgusted with politics regardless of political parties. I still keep it ONLY to keep in touch with friends and relatives whenever we need to contact each other.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:03:46 AM by jojoguy »

CarolinaGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »
I deleted my account last September and haven’t missed it a bit!  I’ve worked in data management for most of my career and the data breaches were just too much for me.  That along with the daily negativity in the newsfeed made it quite easy to leave it all behind.  :)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
I removed Facebook from my phone and iPad. The constant negativity, bitching, cries for attention, and bickering just became too much for me. It's the last thing I need in my life right now. I kept my account because it provides me with a way to connect with farflung relatives and friends, but I don't check it very often anymore. Makes me feel much better.

CheezM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
I removed Facebook from my phone and iPad. The constant negativity, bitching, cries for attention, and bickering just became too much for me. It's the last thing I need in my life right now. I kept my account because it provides me with a way to connect with farflung relatives and friends, but I don't check it very often anymore. Makes me feel much better.

I did the same.  You get a lot more out of Facebook when you only periodically check it, too.  The information is fresher and newer.  No data overload.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2019, 06:23:45 AM »
Deactivated about 4 months ago? I cant remember so obviously it was not that big of a deal.

I do find it super interesting that we pretty much all feel the same way. It all the negativity/outrage/noise on FB started to make us less happy. We realized this and shut down our accounts.

So I guess I need to get over to the investment pages and short FB?

Zero007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2019, 12:48:03 AM »
It good to see others who share my same opinion of facebook. I've been on Facebook since the beginning in 2005 as a freshman in college. I felt that things have gotten worst over the years. Now I mostly see a bunch of nonsense. People posting about their food, going to sleep, what their kids ate, or how perfect their life is (even though it's not really the case). I also found myself being jealous of people who are more successful. I can't say I've been proud of usage either. I got too wrapped into wanting to impress people (or a particular girl to be more accurate) or get acknowledge by others.

Thankfully over the years my interest has wane. It took the lost of my grandfather about two months ago to make me come to a realization that I truly don't have any meaningful connections on facebook. I may get a few likes here and there but no one tries to connect with me or try to get to know me better. It just a sea of nonsense and narcissism that I no longer want to contribute to. So I decided to delete my phone app a few weeks ago. I felt a lot better doing it. I'm working towards limiting my exposure to the site once a week but I'm tempted to make it every 2 weeks or even every month. I haven't posting much anyway so this is just a natural progression.

I just got to work on my other bad vice of being hooked into youtube videos and reading comments just to see what other think.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2019, 05:42:35 AM »
I deactivated Facebook, which was my only social media platform, about 6 months ago. So much extra time & less drama.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!