Author Topic: Got rid of Facebook  (Read 35118 times)

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Got rid of Facebook
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
I waste too much time on facebook. I'm in a lot of groups and I found it very inspiring or helpful as I can communicate with other people that share the same values or hobbies. Since I stopped posting to stupids comments, I feel way better. I realised that I cannot change everyone minds even if what they think is so stupid. I stopped using facebook last winter and I slowly started once again to be too much on it. I think I'm going to delete the app from my phone and try to only have access to it one hour every week. Must do something constructive with my time !

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
A better idea is to only use FB messenger on your phone or desktop, and not look at the feed. Some people prefer FB messages to SMS or WhatsApp, especially if when traveling.

Yes it's harder and requires self-control not to look at the feed, but nothing worthwhile in life comes easy ;)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
I delete it off my phone for periods of time, then reinstall it.  Right now I have it, but it is buried in a folder so I can’t jump to it right away. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
Just deleted the Facebook app from my phone. Thanks for this topic.

I really only use it for the Marketplace, which is easy enough to do on a desktop. I post pictures every few months. I can just use the messenger app to contact someone if necessary.

Gauntlet has been thrown down!
I have no reddit, no instagram, no twitter, Facebook has been weaned down, and I use Snapchat sparingly. Here's to a future of more time spent with purpose, and greater fulfillment.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
I think filtering is the way to go. Here's the first five things in my news feed right now, excluding ads:

1. Photos from my dad's recent backpacking trip
2. Funny meme from a friend
3. Article from a Mustachian group about new cars being a ripoff
4. Cool hiking photos from a friend
5. Cool hiking photos from my uncle

I want to see all this stuff - so the system is working!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
I can really identify with this thread. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on this vile plague called Facebook. How many times a day does FB need to shove every one of my ex-girlfriends face in front of me asking me "Do you know this person?" lol

No, I don't need to see your breakfast slice of toast......AGAIN! Wasn't yesterday's enough?

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
I think filtering is the way to go. Here's the first five things in my news feed right now, excluding ads:

1. Photos from my dad's recent backpacking trip
2. Funny meme from a friend
3. Article from a Mustachian group about new cars being a ripoff
4. Cool hiking photos from a friend
5. Cool hiking photos from my uncle

I want to see all this stuff - so the system is working!

THIS , exactly.... it is so easy to hit the little button on posts and ads that you don't like to not seem them again. Facebook algorithm actually clues in and stops posting again garbage to your news feed at all.

I am shocked not one of you feels that Facebook ads value. It is an important part of my daily life as I use it constructively. It provides value to me and the onus is on the individual to not use it poorly and to not get sucked into stupid chats or comments..Remember the MMM article on Stephen Covey and Circle of Concern.

Here is how I use Facebook successfully
 - I run 3 businesses(retail stores) off FB, print media advertising is dead and everyone uses Facebook like google
 - Private Group page for my store employees and managers, amazing way to talk store topics and keep alignment
 - My post FIRE side hustle is from networking my photos and writing via a Facebook page
 - I run a closed group FB page for the local downtown businesses owners to network and help each other
 - I manage a facebook page for our local MTB society, we plan volunteer trail days and race events via FB
 - I am a member of several mountain climbing and hiking groups, great way to find partners for trips
 - I interact in a community group page for Business Association updates and Chamber of Commerce
 - Create and plan events for anything and keep track way easier than any crazy email chain

You get out of it what you put into it. I know you all value it differently but for me as long as you avoid the garbage and filter it like Zikoris, it is a worthy asset in your toolbox.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
I can really identify with this thread. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on this vile plague called Facebook. How many times a day does FB need to shove every one of my ex-girlfriends face in front of me asking me "Do you know this person?" lol

No, I don't need to see your breakfast slice of toast......AGAIN! Wasn't yesterday's enough?

I blocked my ex when he popped up in my "do you know this person"

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
An interesting (rather long) book review on Facebook:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product

Just read this entire article and wow , what an eye opening essay. It summarizes much of what is being said here but with so much for fine grain detail. I still use facebook but then it digs into why I use it and outlines the points I listed above in my original comment. It also states a bit about being cautious with the bubble that filtering my feed creates.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

I'm in IT and have never had a real Facebook account, just fake ones for testing and as was needed for certain past promos.

meatface

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 06:35:14 AM »
I think about deleting my account every so often. But I haven't so far because 1.) I go on it so rarely that I don't even think about it much (DON'T BOOKMARK IT!), 2.) I almost never post anything (maybe once/year) - I didn't even post about my kids' birth.

I guess I only have it to keep occasional tabs on old friends. For example, one of my friend's kids died. So sad. I never would have known to send him condolences.
Eventually I will ditch Facebook, and I already know that I won't miss it one bit.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
I deleted mine last week. Most of the folks on there were from a previous version of my life, if that makes sense, so I pulled the plug. I don't use insta, snap, twitter or so on either.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »
First few days without Facebook on my phone. No problem.
I used Facebook messenger on my phone coordinate getting rid of a textbook, that's pretty much it so far.

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »
I got rid of Facebook 5 or so years ago, haven't looked back since.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
Facebook is a good thing, I would require each human being on this planet to get a FB, by law, it would be the online ID. No trolls from taht day, sure thing.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I signed out 3 years back. Here is what I think.

I lost touch with many of my friends & colleagues who are away from my city.
I do not call people just for the sake of staying in touch. So most of my friends are gone and I'm totally unaware of what's going on in their life. Vice versa.
The only friends I have is the friends staying near by.

The reason I signed out was peer pressure of needing to constantly update to the world on what you're up to and things were starting to make me jealous or under estimate my own life when comparing to the fancy things my friends put up on FB.

I've no plans to go back to FB. I'm happy even though I'm not in touch with my circle.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
Facebook is a good thing, I would require each human being on this planet to get a FB, by law, it would be the online ID. No trolls from taht day, sure thing.

Considering how horrific the comments sections (using facebook as the commenting system) can get on online articles, I doubt the trolls would disappear. Plenty of people seem perfectly comfortable being nasty without the anonymous part.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »

Considering how horrific the comments sections (using facebook as the commenting system) can get on online articles, I doubt the trolls would disappear. Plenty of people seem perfectly comfortable being nasty without the anonymous part.

I'm starting to suspect iceberg8 has a bit of a trolling habit themselves.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 03:11:01 AM »
You did not understand - if some troll from his real FB ID would be active, FB would delete him, or ban him, and his online career would come to an end.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
You did not understand - if some troll from his real FB ID would be active, FB would delete him, or ban him, and his online career would come to an end.

So we should give people a lifetime ban from the internet for trolling? Seems a bit extreme to me.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »
I waste too much time on facebook. I'm in a lot of groups and I found it very inspiring or helpful as I can communicate with other people that share the same values or hobbies. Since I stopped posting to stupids comments, I feel way better. I realised that I cannot change everyone minds even if what they think is so stupid. I stopped using facebook last winter and I slowly started once again to be too much on it. I think I'm going to delete the app from my phone and try to only have access to it one hour every week. Must do something constructive with my time !

I think I deleted the app on my phone straight after posting this.

Didn't even felt the need to reinstall it or check the site on my laptop. I still go on it for messenger but that's all.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
I find I get sucked in also, and I want to work on limiting my time on it.

I tend to do more sharing of stuff than posting original stuff.  I did delete the app from my phone and also the messenger app a while ago.  I couldn't take my ex and acquaintances messaging me through Facebook and my phone going off like crazy and this interrupting photo bouncing all over the place on my phone for an ex or an acquaintance (my closer friends typically text which is much more considerate to my senses.)  I also tend to be a political poster (there is so much these days that outrages me and I guess sharing on FB is my way of speaking out against it).  I also tend to share or post cool/interesting/cute things I find, like new tech stuff, funny things, and yes, kittens.  Or I'll post/share stuff I want to read into more later when I have more time.

I have Tinfoil for Facebook on my phone now (it's supposed to be less invasive privacy-wise than FB) but I never did get the messenger app back on.

I started a freeCodeCamp FB group for my hometown so I feel like I have to check in somewhat regularly to add new members to that.  I want to give myself a time limit and otherwise make both checking Facebook and checking email an intentional thing in my life (not just because I have alerts).  Maybe limit FB to once every 2 weeks or so, check the group and messages, but stay away from the feed/ads/etc. so I don't get sucked in.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »

I've found the facebook thing to be getting old and have been off of it for a couple years now.   I like to call it 'boast and bitch book + ads'.   It just doesn't do anything for me at all anymore...except frequently piss me off! 

My account is still active...nut absolutely no updates at all.    I'm seriously thinking about deactivating it but I have not done it yet.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »
Never wanted it. Never signed up for it.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I just went in and did more cleanup, both in unfollowing (a few people that are acquaintances or haven't talked to in years, communities that I want to reference occasionally but don't need in my daily feed), and adjusting my plugin settings (hiding posts containing memes, shared twitter posts, shared youtube/vimeo videos). I'm slowly wittling it down to only include life updates from people I want to hear about.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
I just went in and did more cleanup, both in unfollowing (a few people that are acquaintances or haven't talked to in years, communities that I want to reference occasionally but don't need in my daily feed), and adjusting my plugin settings (hiding posts containing memes, shared twitter posts, shared youtube/vimeo videos). I'm slowly wittling it down to only include life updates from people I want to hear about.

Want to share your plugin recommendations? I'm desperate to see fewer facebook meme pages. Right now I just block every page that comes across my feed but that's a permanently losing battle.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
I'm such an introvert that I'm afraid I will lose all contact with humans if I didn't have fb. (I'm half joking) but there are too many groups I have to be in the loop on - both kids schools use facebook, neighborhood facebook group, political groups, old friend groups (we actually discuss things!), meal planning groups, quilt/hobby groups.
I've unfollowed or defriended the worst of my friends (stupid memes/share and say amen)  and I am getting better at not sending friend requests to acquaintances.
I'm guilty of sharing meal photos, but that's only because I cook them all myself and I'm bragging.  I also talk politics on my page and interact with my friends in good discussions.
But I still would love to get rid of it, because I used to not know how racist and/or stupid some of my family was, I could only guess.
I have noticed how awkward it is to run into someone at the grocery who I normally would know nothing about, but instead I know where they just went on vacation and saw a picture of them at various parties or something.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »

Want to share your plugin recommendations? I'm desperate to see fewer facebook meme pages. Right now I just block every page that comes across my feed but that's a permanently losing battle.

Facebook Purity Chrome extension: http://www.fbpurity.com/

Huge list of options, I've been using it for a couple of months now and it's made my Facebook experience so much better (and so much quicker to get through).

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
What is Facebook?

Chubbs55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
I dumped Facebook shortly after the election last year and I don't miss it one F*ck'n bit.  In part cause I turned into a junkie and secondly due to the political BS.  The funny part with the political crap is if you take away ones political affiliation, all the comments sound the same.  What republicans were criticizing before are justifying now and the same with the Democrats.  I do catch flak from a few family members on deleting the account and for not wanting to know what's going on with the family.  I simply tell them I'd rather see them in person and catch up that way.  Anyways, I have too much to do with starting my journey to early retirement to worry about who's doing or saying what at any particular time.

PS.  Don't mean to ridicule anyone for their political beliefs.  Being an independent I can honestly see some sense in a few of the parties beliefs.  Just wish the politicians would do some good and work together starting with things they can find common ground on and move onto more difficult tasks down the road. 

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
Yup, I ditched Facebook a few years back, not even sure when. It was a time suck with so little value. It did offer the ability to keep in touch with old friends in distant lands, but I have kids now and can't be bothered with other people's lives. I never had Facebook on my phone, because I didn't have a smart phone until after I left, so that was never a problem. Even now, I'm still only on the WiFi Republic plan so I can't be on my phone everywhere.

My wife just followed me into the world without Facebook last weekend. She still has Instagram.

I have these forums as my social media.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
Sometimes I get depressed on facebook, but I remind myself that peoples lives aren't like what they present it to be.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
I deleted Facebook and felt such freedom!

What bothered me most was the blurring of different parts of my life.  I developed a set of filters, but one wrong click and I'm sending silly posts to a potential future employer. It became stressful to manage.

Then, during the presidential campaign, my feed became an endless stream of in-fighting, bickering, snark, ranting, and contempt.  A lot of people became incredibly self-righteous (which is annoying even if you basically agree with them.)  Exposure to the feed bogged me down emotionally. 

I deleted FB, plus all my other social media profiles, and I turned off email notifications on my phone.  A full mental de-clutter! I hadn't realized how much of my brain was consumed with distractions and annoyances until I blocked these things. They're like vampires feeding on our attention.

Overall I'm trying to limit my internet usage, reverting to the way I used to use it back before wifi and smartphones.  The result so far is that I hang out in person with people more, and I read a lot more books. 

kapnfriday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Graying Saver
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
Getting rid of facebook was one of the top 10 mostly non-financial things I've done in the last 12 months to increase my overall happiness. 

I listened to the Mad Fientist's podcast with J. Money from Budgets are Sexy and J. made a comment about never leaving facebook feeling better than he had when he got on it.  That was my feeling exactly.

I haven't regretted letting it go for a minute and it fits nicely with my low-information diet. 

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
Getting rid of facebook was one of the top 10 mostly non-financial things I've done in the last 12 months to increase my overall happiness. 

I listened to the Mad Fientist's podcast with J. Money from Budgets are Sexy and J. made a comment about never leaving facebook feeling better than he had when he got on it.  That was my feeling exactly.

I haven't regretted letting it go for a minute and it fits nicely with my low-information diet.

Do you ever worry about a low information diet? Especially as a parent, sometimes I worry that will miss something that is truly important.

kapnfriday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Graying Saver
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
What would be an example of something truly important from a parent's perspective that I might miss as a result of a low-information diet?  I ask this with complete sincerity as I have a 12 year old in 7th grade. 

I worry more about getting him away from screens, teaching him the value of in-person interactions, and giving him examples of how to find enjoyment/fulfillment that does not involve a screen.

Here's a great, quick read from David Byrne on the potential downsides to our creating a world that relies less and less on human interaction: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608580/eliminating-the-human/amp/  Tim Ferriss sent this out today as part of his 5-bullet Friday email.

The essay includes a reference to a study that found the more people use Facebook the worse they feel about their lives. 

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
What would be an example of something truly important from a parent's perspective that I might miss as a result of a low-information diet?  I ask this with complete sincerity as I have a 12 year old in 7th grade. 

I worry more about getting him away from screens, teaching him the value of in-person interactions, and giving him examples of how to find enjoyment/fulfillment that does not involve a screen.

Here's a great, quick read from David Byrne on the potential downsides to our creating a world that relies less and less on human interaction: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608580/eliminating-the-human/amp/  Tim Ferriss sent this out today as part of his 5-bullet Friday email.

The essay includes a reference to a study that found the more people use Facebook the worse they feel about their lives.

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. lol I'm guessing there's not much. I was thinking of maybe something related to the medical or educational field that I would want to know. For example, the idea that kids in car seats shouldn't wear puffy jackets because they can condense in an accident and allow the child to fly out of the seat. I know this of course, but my sister in law did not appear to until recently. Also the recommendation of rear facing. I heard on Good Morning America years ago that it was now being recommended to rear face until 2. However newer reports are saying that the child should be rear facing as long as they meet the height/weight requirements of the seat. My son is three and still rear facing, with about 8 pounds left before he meets the rear facing limits of his seat.  My SIL has a 18 month old that is already forward facing. Which is technically fine of course, I just wouldn't do that for my child.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
It's easy to get information just by clicking on yahoo news.

The information on people's social profiles is often slanted towards what they want people to know, depending on their personal or political biases. Lots of people post fake news, too. Passing fake coupons around as well, like  "80 dollars off a 90 dollar purchase at Aldi's". Things that any discerning, rational person should be able to say "that's fake" but people fall for.

I've also noticed some people who live in big homes, will post pictures of their big house on their profile page. Like they're saying, "look at me, see my house? It's really big. See it?"

kapnfriday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Graying Saver
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. lol I'm guessing there's not much. I was thinking of maybe something related to the medical or educational field that I would want to know. For example, the idea that kids in car seats shouldn't wear puffy jackets because they can condense in an accident and allow the child to fly out of the seat. I know this of course, but my sister in law did not appear to until recently. Also the recommendation of rear facing. I heard on Good Morning America years ago that it was now being recommended to rear face until 2. However newer reports are saying that the child should be rear facing as long as they meet the height/weight requirements of the seat. My son is three and still rear facing, with about 8 pounds left before he meets the rear facing limits of his seat.  My SIL has a 18 month old that is already forward facing. Which is technically fine of course, I just wouldn't do that for my child.

For any medical or educational decisions that would impact our child we have always done our own research and asked lots of questions of the professionals (Dr.s, nurses, teachers, counselors, etc. ) directly involved with our son.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
Here's the perfect example: several months ago someone posted in a local moms group asking which hospital was best for an ER for pediatrics. Let's call them A and B. A is closest to my house and I've always gone there. But B has a pediatric unit, and they will send the pediatric doctors down when a child is in the ER. With my first son, I went to A and they were considering transferring him to B. Since he was only three days old, they ended up using their own NICU and admitting him there. If he had been older, they would have transferred him to B. There wer 85 comments on that post, and every single one said A is great but B is best for children. I mentioned it to my husband, saying that if we needed an ER again, we should probably choose B instead of A. Several weeks later, we did need an ER visit for our 5 month old. We went to B and they sent down their pediatric doctors and then admitted him. If we had gone to A, he would have either been transferred to B or just sent home. But if I hadn't seen that post, I would have just gone to A because that's what I've always done.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
I like asking for recommendations for service needs on facebook, and for info specific to our neighborhood  we have an active neighborhood group.
The hide/unfollow button makes the experience better, but I still don't like the time I waste. I can control that. If I have something else handy, like a good book, I can choose that instead.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »

Have you read The Circle by Dave Eggers? Your comment is literally a fictional plot where a technologically advanced society goes too far and ruins the concept of privacy. TrueU, they called it.

On Facebook: I've barely been on since the beginning of the year and it makes me much, much happier. I have pretty much no desire to go back. Real friends can keep in touch without also posting things to a bunch of people they aren't close with in real life. I do visit Twitter every few days, but only follow smart, balanced scientists, writers, and researchers, many of whom who look at things from a global perspective. I also follow presidents and leaders from all over the world. It's a really neat way to keep tabs on things outside of your immediate circle, and to get information straight from the primary source.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Sometimes I get depressed on facebook, but I remind myself that peoples lives aren't like what they present it to be.

If often hear this argument, but IME it mostly applies to instagram models, social media pros, etc. Most regular people of my feed have unimpressive pictures of their children, boring vacations, etc.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
My wife and I actively cultivate relationships with people who over-share and have very tumultuous lives. We refer to them as our "Train Wrecks". If being connected to people who only post pictures of the best stuff makes you feel worse, this should make us self-esteem rockstars!

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
I have mixed feelings about Facebook. On the one hand, it can be a huge timesuck, but on the other hand, I've reconnected with people from other times in my life which has been a positive experience, and I get value out of the groups that I'm in.

One thing that's made it significantly more tolerable is the Facebook Purity Chrome extension: http://www.fbpurity.com/

Along with unfollowing people who aren't relevant to me, I use the extension to hide videos, content from various sites, Facebook widgets I don't really care about, etc., which cleans the experience up significantly.

I'll have to try this out. My chief complaint about Facebook these days is that 75% of what I see is advertisements or what other people are "liking" which is really just another form of advertising. I hate having to hunt for the 3 or 4 items I want to read in a sea of other people's crap.

This is the reason I unfollowed most of my "friends".  I hated seeing all of their likes and shares.

atreechange

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
I deactivated my account at the start of the year after not having logged on for 12 months.

Since the rest of my family have their FB accounts any notable events/photos are shown to me from their phones.

While I lost the ability to see how my circle of friends living away from me are going, they can still contact me via email/linkedin/whatsapp and vice versa.

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »
Started banning people/mememills/apps/conspiracy heavily about a year ago.
Sometimes up to 20 a day, now down to maybe 1.
Checking FB is now fast and informative.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »
My two closest girlfriends have deleted the FB app from their phones. Its a bit challenging for me since I sometimes forget they don't have it and haven't seen whatever it is I posted. No big deal though - I just text them if it is something important. One is a schoolteacher and FB can be hard for them (I get it) and the other just found she wasn't getting enough from it - she just checks in every 1-2 weeks or whatever.

We basically catch up when we see each other every few weeks. Sometimes I don't get to see one or the other for a couple of months so I do miss having that FB connection. We don't text/call each other on any kind of regular basis.

Anyway, I like Fb well enough and don't have any of the negative things most of u seem to have experienced. I like seeing what's up in the lives of far-flung friends. My DH likes when I write him a mushy birthday message. And I don't get many political posts - and those I do I just skim past and mostly ignore them. And I don't really have too many annoying memes - those I get I just ignore.

I did unfollow a lot of acquaintances that are no longer a part of my life. Just didn't see the point.

Otherwise I have fun on FB. Maybe because I don't watch everything on my newsfeed. I actually "waste" far more time on the MMM forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
I do not have facebook (although I made some $ on their stock a few years back!) 

I know myself well enough to recognize that I have an addictive personality.  FB would consume more and more of my time until my marriage and relationship with my kids was all F___ed-up.  Who needs that?

As someone mentioned above, it's "boast and bitch".  I'm not interested in complaining electronically and boasting just makes you a target and an asshole.  If I had kids and grandkids slung across the country, I could see the value maybe but I'd rather facetime/skype with them anyway. 

I don't need an electronic stage to soothe my need for attention.

Double Yu

• Stubble
  • W is for Wanderbird
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Well, I did just use it to check on a number of folks I know from the Santa Rosa area - thankfully all alive and well and they even by-the-skin-of-their-teeth still have houses. One, thanks to standing out there with a hose while houses around him burned. I'd forgotten I still knew people there - so fb at least allowed me to vicariously figure that out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!