Author Topic: Got rid of Facebook  (Read 4723 times)

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Got rid of Facebook
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
Love this thread and reading others' experiences.  I inactivated my FB last fall before the election because I was getting so sick of all the political posts.  I reactivated recently after we missed a couple of parties because friends invited my husband on FB and he forgot to tell me, haha.  I took this opportunity to de friend everyone who I hadn't communicated with since I deactivated.  It was so liberating!  I'm at 49 friends now, mostly family.  Of course I almost immediately received messages from people I used to know and had unfriended (not friends, just distant coworkers from years ago).  I never opened the messages.  I don't think I owe anyone an explanation for keeping my Facebook circle small.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
I waste too much time on facebook. I'm in a lot of groups and I found it very inspiring or helpful as I can communicate with other people that share the same values or hobbies. Since I stopped posting to stupids comments, I feel way better. I realised that I cannot change everyone minds even if what they think is so stupid. I stopped using facebook last winter and I slowly started once again to be too much on it. I think I'm going to delete the app from my phone and try to only have access to it one hour every week. Must do something constructive with my time !

gerardc

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
A better idea is to only use FB messenger on your phone or desktop, and not look at the feed. Some people prefer FB messages to SMS or WhatsApp, especially if when traveling.

Yes it's harder and requires self-control not to look at the feed, but nothing worthwhile in life comes easy ;)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
I delete it off my phone for periods of time, then reinstall it.  Right now I have it, but it is buried in a folder so I canít jump to it right away. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
Just deleted the Facebook app from my phone. Thanks for this topic.

I really only use it for the Marketplace, which is easy enough to do on a desktop. I post pictures every few months. I can just use the messenger app to contact someone if necessary.

Gauntlet has been thrown down!
I have no reddit, no instagram, no twitter, Facebook has been weaned down, and I use Snapchat sparingly. Here's to a future of more time spent with purpose, and greater fulfillment.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
I think filtering is the way to go. Here's the first five things in my news feed right now, excluding ads:

1. Photos from my dad's recent backpacking trip
2. Funny meme from a friend
3. Article from a Mustachian group about new cars being a ripoff
4. Cool hiking photos from a friend
5. Cool hiking photos from my uncle

I want to see all this stuff - so the system is working!
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

ozbeach

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
An interesting (rather long) book review on Facebook:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product
Late to FI; but better late than never!

Laserjet3051

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
I can really identify with this thread. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on this vile plague called Facebook. How many times a day does FB need to shove every one of my ex-girlfriends face in front of me asking me "Do you know this person?" lol

No, I don't need to see your breakfast slice of toast......AGAIN! Wasn't yesterday's enough?

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
I think filtering is the way to go. Here's the first five things in my news feed right now, excluding ads:

1. Photos from my dad's recent backpacking trip
2. Funny meme from a friend
3. Article from a Mustachian group about new cars being a ripoff
4. Cool hiking photos from a friend
5. Cool hiking photos from my uncle

I want to see all this stuff - so the system is working!

THIS , exactly.... it is so easy to hit the little button on posts and ads that you don't like to not seem them again. Facebook algorithm actually clues in and stops posting again garbage to your news feed at all.

I am shocked not one of you feels that Facebook ads value. It is an important part of my daily life as I use it constructively. It provides value to me and the onus is on the individual to not use it poorly and to not get sucked into stupid chats or comments..Remember the MMM article on Stephen Covey and Circle of Concern.

Here is how I use Facebook successfully
 - I run 3 businesses(retail stores) off FB, print media advertising is dead and everyone uses Facebook like google
 - Private Group page for my store employees and managers, amazing way to talk store topics and keep alignment
 - My post FIRE side hustle is from networking my photos and writing via a Facebook page
 - I run a closed group FB page for the local downtown businesses owners to network and help each other
 - I manage a facebook page for our local MTB society, we plan volunteer trail days and race events via FB
 - I am a member of several mountain climbing and hiking groups, great way to find partners for trips
 - I interact in a community group page for Business Association updates and Chamber of Commerce
 - Create and plan events for anything and keep track way easier than any crazy email chain

You get out of it what you put into it. I know you all value it differently but for me as long as you avoid the garbage and filter it like Zikoris, it is a worthy asset in your toolbox.
The Mindful Explorer : Explore-Adventure-Photograph https://www.ChrisIstace.com

MMM Forums Journal - Beyond The Usual

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
I can really identify with this thread. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on this vile plague called Facebook. How many times a day does FB need to shove every one of my ex-girlfriends face in front of me asking me "Do you know this person?" lol

No, I don't need to see your breakfast slice of toast......AGAIN! Wasn't yesterday's enough?

I blocked my ex when he popped up in my "do you know this person"

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
An interesting (rather long) book review on Facebook:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product

Just read this entire article and wow , what an eye opening essay. It summarizes much of what is being said here but with so much for fine grain detail. I still use facebook but then it digs into why I use it and outlines the points I listed above in my original comment. It also states a bit about being cautious with the bubble that filtering my feed creates.
The Mindful Explorer : Explore-Adventure-Photograph https://www.ChrisIstace.com

MMM Forums Journal - Beyond The Usual

GenXbiker

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

I'm in IT and have never had a real Facebook account, just fake ones for testing and as was needed for certain past promos.

meatface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 06:35:14 AM »
I think about deleting my account every so often. But I haven't so far because 1.) I go on it so rarely that I don't even think about it much (DON'T BOOKMARK IT!), 2.) I almost never post anything (maybe once/year) - I didn't even post about my kids' birth.

I guess I only have it to keep occasional tabs on old friends. For example, one of my friend's kids died. So sad. I never would have known to send him condolences.
Eventually I will ditch Facebook, and I already know that I won't miss it one bit.

dcamnc

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
I deleted mine last week. Most of the folks on there were from a previous version of my life, if that makes sense, so I pulled the plug. I don't use insta, snap, twitter or so on either.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »
First few days without Facebook on my phone. No problem.
I used Facebook messenger on my phone coordinate getting rid of a textbook, that's pretty much it so far.

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »
I got rid of Facebook 5 or so years ago, haven't looked back since.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
Facebook is a good thing, I would require each human being on this planet to get a FB, by law, it would be the online ID. No trolls from taht day, sure thing.
ignorance is bliss

FamilyGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *simplify*
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I signed out 3 years back. Here is what I think.

I lost touch with many of my friends & colleagues who are away from my city.
I do not call people just for the sake of staying in touch. So most of my friends are gone and I'm totally unaware of what's going on in their life. Vice versa.
The only friends I have is the friends staying near by.

The reason I signed out was peer pressure of needing to constantly update to the world on what you're up to and things were starting to make me jealous or under estimate my own life when comparing to the fancy things my friends put up on FB.

I've no plans to go back to FB. I'm happy even though I'm not in touch with my circle.

ptobeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
Facebook is a good thing, I would require each human being on this planet to get a FB, by law, it would be the online ID. No trolls from taht day, sure thing.

Considering how horrific the comments sections (using facebook as the commenting system) can get on online articles, I doubt the trolls would disappear. Plenty of people seem perfectly comfortable being nasty without the anonymous part.

Tass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Working on a PhD and saving what I can!
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »

Considering how horrific the comments sections (using facebook as the commenting system) can get on online articles, I doubt the trolls would disappear. Plenty of people seem perfectly comfortable being nasty without the anonymous part.

I'm starting to suspect iceberg8 has a bit of a trolling habit themselves.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 03:11:01 AM »
You did not understand - if some troll from his real FB ID would be active, FB would delete him, or ban him, and his online career would come to an end.
ignorance is bliss

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
You did not understand - if some troll from his real FB ID would be active, FB would delete him, or ban him, and his online career would come to an end.

So we should give people a lifetime ban from the internet for trolling? Seems a bit extreme to me.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »
I waste too much time on facebook. I'm in a lot of groups and I found it very inspiring or helpful as I can communicate with other people that share the same values or hobbies. Since I stopped posting to stupids comments, I feel way better. I realised that I cannot change everyone minds even if what they think is so stupid. I stopped using facebook last winter and I slowly started once again to be too much on it. I think I'm going to delete the app from my phone and try to only have access to it one hour every week. Must do something constructive with my time !

I think I deleted the app on my phone straight after posting this.

Didn't even felt the need to reinstall it or check the site on my laptop. I still go on it for messenger but that's all.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
I find I get sucked in also, and I want to work on limiting my time on it.

I tend to do more sharing of stuff than posting original stuff.  I did delete the app from my phone and also the messenger app a while ago.  I couldn't take my ex and acquaintances messaging me through Facebook and my phone going off like crazy and this interrupting photo bouncing all over the place on my phone for an ex or an acquaintance (my closer friends typically text which is much more considerate to my senses.)  I also tend to be a political poster (there is so much these days that outrages me and I guess sharing on FB is my way of speaking out against it).  I also tend to share or post cool/interesting/cute things I find, like new tech stuff, funny things, and yes, kittens.  Or I'll post/share stuff I want to read into more later when I have more time.

I have Tinfoil for Facebook on my phone now (it's supposed to be less invasive privacy-wise than FB) but I never did get the messenger app back on.

I started a freeCodeCamp FB group for my hometown so I feel like I have to check in somewhat regularly to add new members to that.  I want to give myself a time limit and otherwise make both checking Facebook and checking email an intentional thing in my life (not just because I have alerts).  Maybe limit FB to once every 2 weeks or so, check the group and messages, but stay away from the feed/ads/etc. so I don't get sucked in.

farmecologist

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »

I've found the facebook thing to be getting old and have been off of it for a couple years now.   I like to call it 'boast and bitch book + ads'.   It just doesn't do anything for me at all anymore...except frequently piss me off! 

My account is still active...nut absolutely no updates at all.    I'm seriously thinking about deactivating it but I have not done it yet.