Author Topic: Got a $100 desk for free! Buy Nothing Facebook Group  (Read 1951 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Got a $100 desk for free! Buy Nothing Facebook Group
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
I really love this local Buy Nothing group!   I desperately needed a new desk to use for photography, electronics/general workbench and shipping items I sell on ebay.   Was looking at craigslist and facebook marketplace and saw a bunch of ugly ones for $100.

I got fed up looking and asked in the Buy Nothing facebook group, the next day I got the desk in the bedroom being put to use!   Gave my nephew $10 to borrow his gas guzzling big pickup truck.   Figure that was fair for the gas and wear and tear on it.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:08:14 PM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Got a $100 desk for free! Buy Nothing Facebook Group
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »
I also love donating stuff I'd normally throw away, to people in this group.

TRD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:58:51 AM »
I love my local Buy Nothing group. I haven’t gotten anything from them yet (no need) but I’ve happily passed on a bunch of stuff I don’t need that other people are thrilled to have.

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »
Awesome!  I just picked up a hamper from someone last night.  Not as big a win, but still something we needed that I don't need to buy now.

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:14:51 PM »
I've gotten a ton of baby items and clothes for my daughter through the buy nothing sites! I also re-gift when done and give away other items when doing cleaning purges. Great way to help each in our community! So happy I found our group.

Mellabella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 02:32:38 AM »
Me too! I got some free spices just by walking 2 blocks & gave away my glasses now I’ve had lasek.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »
I am new to Buy Nothing. I see some items offered and I see some people expressing interest and wanting certain items. How does the item owner determine who gets the item if there are multiple people wanting the item?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:49 AM »
I am new to Buy Nothing. I see some items offered and I see some people expressing interest and wanting certain items. How does the item owner determine who gets the item if there are multiple people wanting the item?

The gifter chooses how to gift =) Some people will do random number, some will donate to someone they know is close by, some will give to someone new to the group... *shrugs* it varies, and is 100% up to the one doing the gifting. The philosophy is 'no gifting is bad'.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
Like I said I am new to Buy Nothing. I typically give to Vietnam Veterans or Goodwill but I can see how gifting furniture and larger things might be beneficial. I have given truck loads of stuff to these organizations. I am a little freaked out by having strangers come to my house.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
Yeah I definitely wouldn't let them inside the house and I wouldn't let them know my work hours etc.   But I am here all day and have two dogs, along with others living here,  so I feel pretty safe.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »
Katy over at "The Non Consumer Advocate" is a huge fan of Buy Nothing and writes about it frequently. I don't do FB, so I use NextDoor. I like that it's less anonymous and it's very local. I'm currently flipping a house, so have given away tons of surplus building materials. I'm going to stage ot on a dime, so i've been getting free stuff and buying some stuff for super cheap.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Yeah I definitely wouldn't let them inside the house and I wouldn't let them know my work hours etc.   But I am here all day and have two dogs, along with others living here,  so I feel pretty safe.

one thing I like about buy nothing group is it's very local and everyone is on Facebook so you can see their picture and you can see who they know. I've let people into my house even if I don't know them if my husband is home my dogs are home and they have at least three mutual friends of mine. otherwise I usually say I'm in and out all day I'll leave it on the porch. quite honestly someone wanted to Rob our house it's not that hard to figure out that we live in a suburban neighborhood where nearly everyone is gone during the day. The vast majority of people on our buy nothing group used porch pick up though. You don't actually have to talk to them since no one exchanges money. Although even when I saw on Craigslist I tell them I'll put it on the porch put the money under the mat. If it's under 50 bucks I don't really care if they steal it they're not going to no one ever has. Most people prove to be trustworthy when you trust them.