Author Topic: Getting paid to have a high end pc  (Read 3611 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Getting paid to have a high end pc
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:29:51 AM »
I've gotten into bitcoin mining and it actually pays more than the cards cost to have the highest end graphics cards you can get. The Nvidea 1080 I have now makes about 5-6 bucks a day and the TI will make about 8. I plan on having two of them in my computer, so my silly extravagance of 1500 for graphics and water coolers is actually about a $500 a month source of income and if the market goes belly up they're still worth money as gaming cards which is what they were meant for. I run it in the background and it makes me money even while I sleep. Gandolph the White is a money making full tower wizard ;)

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting paid to have a high end pc
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
Have you put a kill a watt on them so you can monitor electricity use?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:19:52 AM »
it's worth noting that BTC is at an all-time high right now. If it falls to $500/coin or $100/coin, your returns won't last.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
I just sold all my mining equipment for about 20% over what I paid for it. (and used it for a year).

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I sold my ASIC miner when LTC halved. Went from making $5/day to $5/week. I did mine enough to net 0.6 BTC. The miner was plugged in at work so I was lucky on that end.

Is BTC the best coin to mine keeping in mind difficulty and exchange rates between all other crypo currencies?

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Mining with GPU's can still be profitable depending on electricity costs. Not direct BTC mining though. That train passed years ago. Now people mine alt-coins such as Ethereum, Monero, etc and convert them to BTC. Note that technically you are supposed to be paying ordinary income tax on the value of the mined coins. Then capital gains when you sell them. IRS was going after Coinbase for a while trying to get information on the Coinbase users. Not sure where that ended up.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
I don't mine bitcoin directly, I run through nicehash and it runs the most profitable one at any given time. If the market tanks a gaming card is still a gaming card, that's why I avoid hyper inflated miners like the plague, get like 5% out of them when it goes belly up.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
That is awesome. I've got to get back in this. I have a PC sitting at home collecting dust as well as a 1KW power supply. So I need a 1080 GPU to get me up and running.

Can you help me out on what I need to complete my mining rig? I've been out of the PC building world for some time now (since 2013).

My Current Rig
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Quad-Core 3.6GHz
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970

Edit: What percent does Nicehash take from your earnings?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:55:34 AM by cantgrowone »

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 03:05:26 AM »
For only mining just the card, drivers, 64 bit OS and proper power and connections, no major use of ram. I would say water cooling for the graphics cards. I run the basement gpu fans wide open but that is less than ideal. EVGA all in one is like 120, 70 with premier rewards gold, 20 with gold business

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:07:34 AM »
Less than 5% iirc and that includes fees passed on to them