Author Topic: Getting free stuff.  (Read 2885 times)

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
Getting free stuff.
« on: February 20, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
Deleted--it's for the best.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:04:51 PM by DeniseNJ »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting free stuff.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
Not a site, but if you show up well enough dressed at a number of hotel chains in the morning, many offer free, full breakfast. 

I'm a member of ebates and rakuten and honestly, I have not found a single thing that I would want to buy.  I don't shop for fun...I'm very pointed in my search.  If there's a 5 quart bottle of 0W 20 motor oil out there shipped for less than $18 using one of these, I'm all ears.  (that's what I just paid on Amazon....and no, neither of those portals worked for this).

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »
Not a site, but if you show up well enough dressed at a number of hotel chains in the morning, many offer free, full breakfast. 

I'm a member of ebates and rakuten and honestly, I have not found a single thing that I would want to buy.  I don't shop for fun...I'm very pointed in my search.  If there's a 5 quart bottle of 0W 20 motor oil out there shipped for less than $18 using one of these, I'm all ears.  (that's what I just paid on Amazon....and no, neither of those portals worked for this).

1. lol I believe that would fall under this thread https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/unethical-ways-to-save-money/

2. what you're looking for is SlickDeals, set up an alert. Is the bottle you bought full synthetic?
https://slickdeals.net/f/13789844-castrol-synthetic-motor-oil-0w-20-for-16-38-amazon-subscription-deal?src=SiteSearch

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 06:45:56 PM »
Getting discounted or free merchandise from a 3rd party site in exchange for reviews appears to be in violation of the Amazon TOS.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/new-amazons-customer-product-reviews-policies/421672

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:35 PM »
Getting discounted or free merchandise from a 3rd party site in exchange for reviews appears to be in violation of the Amazon TOS.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/new-amazons-customer-product-reviews-policies/421672
Interesting since Amazon sends out vine membership invites that is exactly that, they give you stuff to review.

Yep. Amazon is fine with it if you go through their process.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:40:33 AM »
DOC posts some deals to get free stuff after combining for example an Amex offer and an Ibotta. I have gotten free meal kits (very nice but something I wouldn't otherwise buy) and a free Sam's club membership this way.

Our local grocery chain sometimes has unadvertised items that are "free" after gas points. My husband is very good at spotting these, and there are always plenty left because people are bad at math (they may exist because the manager is bad at math, or because they just want to move the product before it expires??). For example this week they have brie cheese for 1.99 and you get back 10 cents per gallon on up to 20 gallons for each one you buy, which is $2 off your gas.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
Vine is an exception.  So are advanced review copies of books.  Those are the only exceptions to Amazon's policy prohibiting incentivized reviews.

Those freebie sites used to all give Amazon promo codes for the products, until Amazon changed its terms a few years ago to prohibit that.  Then they all switched to refunding payment offsite after the transaction and review, because that's more difficult for Amazon's systems to pick up on.  But Amazon sometimes catches on anyway, either based on individuals' reports (there's that whole culture of competing for highest reviewer rank on Amazon, and some take it very seriously, to the point of making a hobby of ratting out rebaters in order to get them purged from the reviewer ranks), or based on purchase patterns for certain items and frequency of reviews.   

When Amazon does catch on, they threaten to sue the rebate sites and then they demand names of all the site's users, and the sites usually turn over their member lists.  Usually all Amazon does is close the accounts of all those group members - there's a Reddit sub dedicated to a bot's tally of those accounts purged from the top 10,000 reviewers everyday - but fairly recently they did sue 1100 individual Amazon customers who accepted payments through Fiverr in exchange for reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=G8CXDFT9GLRRSV3G
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:12:08 PM by MyAlterEgoIsTaller »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!