Author Topic: Gave up coffee  (Read 6909 times)

beekeeper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Gave up coffee
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:28:26 AM »
I gave up drinking coffee a few weeks ago. I had been drinking lots of strong coffee every day for decades. I don't miss it now! I drink tap water instead.

My coffee drinking had been becoming expensive over the years as I developed a taste for freshly roasted beans and a few strong Aeropress cups every day. I was spending about $80/month at the end. That's on track for around $50K over the rest of my lifetime!

I found that my enjoyment of the coffee was offset by a guilty feeling every time I ordered new beans. I also didn't like the feeling of dependency and having to plan around access to coffee when travelling. So I cut it all out and now I'm feeling badass.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gave up coffee
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:48:33 AM »
Cool!

Personally, I maintain a small coffee habit, mostly for the health benefits (good for liver, gout prevention, etc., and the warm beverage helps me eat less early in the day). If I wanted to, I could get by just on the free coffee in my office, but I choose to have a cup or two at home.

I did give up on the expensive beans and Aeropress, though. I suggest that if you ever decide to resume drinking coffee, you should start back with cheaper coffee and brewing methods; now that you have a break in your consumption, you may find that your palate has reset to where you can enjoy "average joe" once again.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Wow, good for you!

I'm with ^. I enjoy a single cup of coffee in the morning and nothing the rest of the day. No fancy beans or presses. Just a $10 coffee maker that has lasted for years and some relatively cheap coffee from the supermarket. Pretty cheap habit compared to the benefits.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
Each morning, husband and I split a liter of coffee brewed in our pour-over drip carafe with reusable filter. We boil the water in an electric kettle and use beans that we buy in bulk at Costco ($15.60 for a 3-lb bag per month) and grind at home. So after the hardware (probably $100 total for drip carafe, kettle, and burr grinder, none of it purchased recently), we're paying less than $20/month for coffee for both of us. We pour big mugs and drink it while we talk or read the news at the kitchen table. It's a nice ritual.

One

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »

One recommendation I have is to try this herbal coffee. it's a nice substitute, tastes good and no caffeine.

https://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Chicory-Herbal-Alternative-Caffeine/dp/B00DPEE2IO?th=1           
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:56:16 AM by One »

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
I too gave up coffee for basically the same reasons, except I wasn't spending too much on it. I didn't like having to plan around it because I would get a headache and feel very sluggish in the morning if I skipped it. I really miss it though. It makes me feel good and is a nice ritual.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Great job @beekeeper!  I gave it up for three years once, and felt better.  Now I'm back on it, and my habit has grown to 4-5 cups per day.  I think I have a problem, and am unable to keep the coffee habit 'small.'  I think I have to give it up again, for good this time. 

Cool name.  Are you really a beekeeper?  I'm hoping to start next year.   

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
Kudos to anything you give up / quit that doesn't bring you enough satisfaction.

I drink 2 cups a day (usually free at work) and almost always split between decafe and caffeine.

I use creamer (real and fake) but no sugar.

I do like the flavor of coffee and the cost (even on the weekends) of it is pretty inconsequential.

Caffeine doesn't do much one way or another for me though.   Admittedly, I find decafe can sometimes not taste 'right'.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:12:14 AM by Slee_stack »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
Kudos to anything you give up / quit that doesn't bring you enough satisfaction.

I drink 2 cups a day (usually free at work) and almost always split between decafe and caffeine.

I do like the flavor of coffee and the cost (even on the weekends) of it is pretty inconsequential.

Caffeine doesn't do much one way or another for me though.   Admittedly, I find decafe can sometimes not taste 'right'.

If you have Kroger (or affiliated) stores in your area, their Simple Truth organic store brand is the best (i.e., closest to regular) decaf coffee I've found. I've tried a few other brands and they definitely don't taste "right".

ninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
I love coffee so much that a few years ago I got a drum to fit on my rotisserie gas grill - and started roasting my own. Now I own a coffee roasting business!
Instead of giving up something that I loved and spent money on I found a way to make it even better (awesome, in fact) but also make some money doing it. I rarely drink coffee that is more than 4 days from being roasted.

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
That is badass! Great work. I think this has been one of the hardest things for me to decrease dependency on. I didn't think it was that bad until I quit cold turkey a few months ago and I got super sick - crazy nausea and just couldn't function properly at all. I really want to decrease how much I drink throughout the day. From a financial standpoint, 80% of the coffee I drink is from work. But from a health standpoint I'm clearly dependent on this stuff.

Thanks for posting this. Giving me some good ideas to begin my journey on this. Which sounds crazy but I've been drinking black coffee for years, so it's pretty tough to just let it go.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:46:36 AM »
So not relying on caffeine is now badass? I rock, my husband sucks. XD

I find the mornings where I wake up an caffiene sounds even remotely tempting-- that I'm just dehydrated. I down a glass or two, and the urge for caffiene is gone.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »

I like the taste of coffee, but I need my cream and sweetener.   I don't need the caffeine, so I drink decaf most of the time with the occasional caffeinated when I feel like I really need the pick-me-up.  The taste difference isn't significant, at least not when mixed in with my cream and sweetener.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
Had my daily (2) cups.  Both decaf today.   I'm thankful that caffeine doesn't affect me.  I can't imagine getting headaches or nausea just by not drinking coffee....that would truly be awful.

I'll try to remember the Kroger Simple Truth decafe suggestion.

If I can find a great tasting decaf bean, I may never ingest caffeine again....outside of a little chocolate.

Is ZERO caffeine less healthy than a little?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
I have sequestered my coffee drinking to 5:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. only.  The rest of the day I have green tea and oolong tea.  I feel about 1,000% better.

I've piddled around with decaf at other times, but meh.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
That is badass! Great work. I think this has been one of the hardest things for me to decrease dependency on. I didn't think it was that bad until I quit cold turkey a few months ago and I got super sick - crazy nausea and just couldn't function properly at all. I really want to decrease how much I drink throughout the day. From a financial standpoint, 80% of the coffee I drink is from work. But from a health standpoint I'm clearly dependent on this stuff.

Thanks for posting this. Giving me some good ideas to begin my journey on this. Which sounds crazy but I've been drinking black coffee for years, so it's pretty tough to just let it go.

I decreased my intake over a period. I drank/drink about three cups per day. I changed first one cup to decaf, then the second one and then more than 24 hours. One day I accidentally forget to drink coffee and to my astonishment I didn’t get the headache that I thought I would get. Now I drink only decaf some days and somedays I drink regular coffee. The thought is to not make it a daily habit because I will do some longterm travel and I don’t want to spend my days chasing coffeine or paying ridiculous amount of money for a cup of coffee. Now I have the choice to enjoy coffee when I feel for it.

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »

I like the taste of coffee, but I need my cream and sweetener.   I don't need the caffeine, so I drink decaf most of the time with the occasional caffeinated when I feel like I really need the pick-me-up.  The taste difference isn't significant, at least not when mixed in with my cream and sweetener.

Nooo! You don't need creamer and sweetner. No one does.

I decreased my intake over a period. I drank/drink about three cups per day. I changed first one cup to decaf, then the second one and then more than 24 hours. One day I accidentally forget to drink coffee and to my astonishment I didn’t get the headache that I thought I would get. Now I drink only decaf some days and somedays I drink regular coffee. The thought is to not make it a daily habit because I will do some longterm travel and I don’t want to spend my days chasing coffeine or paying ridiculous amount of money for a cup of coffee. Now I have the choice to enjoy coffee when I feel for it.

Awesome, thanks for the insights.

iwanttobelive2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
I gave up a monster addiction and just started coffee, but maybe someday I'll be coffee free :) But for now its way cheaper than Monsters. I grind my own beans too.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 05:29:44 AM »
I always brewed a pot in the morning and drank that. About 2 years I cut down to one or two cups not to sound to graphic but to keep me regular. So i probably average a cup and a half a day. Probably could get away with a cup a day. I buy the cheap shit because to me its not even about the taste i just like a cup of something hot in the morning

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 05:40:51 AM »
Hey great job
I made the mistake of trying red bull/monster a few years ago and was blown away by how much of an energy jolt it gave me.  This was encouraging since I have three jobs... and then it got to the point where I was drinking two a day, and sometimes coffee too. :::Yikes::: 

I've now trimmed it down to only coffee and maybe an energy drink 1-2x week (the ones from Aldi).  I'm not proud, but I am hoping to be where you are soon.. JUST COFFEE.  *and then eventually less coffee, but one step at a time.. :)

I gave up a monster addiction and just started coffee, but maybe someday I'll be coffee free :) But for now its way cheaper than Monsters. I grind my own beans too.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »
My husband gave up coffee about 6 months ago as he had insomnia and finds it difficult to limit his coffee drinking.  Not very mustachian as he now drinks decaf instead though (or barley coffee in Italy).

CubicleWarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SixSigmaStudyGuide.com
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
I was all set to brag that  I ditched the subscription Keurig coffee and am now 100% on office coffee but giving up cold turkey is truly badass! Congratulations!

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »
Congrats! I gave up coffee a couple months ago and I feel great. I was drinking a ton especially after the birth of our kid because I needed the caffeine to survive work plus kid plus normal adult responsibilities.

It's tough some days and it's tempting to grab a cup after little sleep and a long day at work, but I think it helps my mental fortitude to not depend on an external stimulant.

The money savings is secondary, in my opinion.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.

I have calculated our coffee habit -- a good amount of the expense being the heavy cream we used as well.  It's around $60 per month for the both of us.  I talked to my boyfriend and him and I are going to work on quitting coffee altogether.  We figure it is like all other drug addictions.. we just keep drinking it to feel better to feed the addiction.  After we get through all the withdrawels I doubt we even miss it or have any less energy.

If we quit altogether we should have at least 60k or so more money in retirement by time we are 75.  We are 47-50 now.

tct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
You are a badass!

ninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
I can't support ANY of this [see my post 'first day in business' about my coffee roasting business]! You should ALL drink coffee.

Seriously though - I took my love of gourmet coffee and spending a sizeable amount of cash on beans and coffee and turned it into a business. Now instead me spending money on my habit - my habit is spending money on me! I of course had to spend a good amount of cash to get the business going - but it's already made up 44.4% of my expenses.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 10:10:54 PM »
I also quit coffee even though I only drank one cup a day. But I found I lacked a certain "umph" so I am back to one cup a day.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
I have a small coffee maker, it makes two cups.
 It is a joy to make and drink my coffee in the morning.
 I start the coffee maker add two ice cubes to my cup.
When the coffee is done, I shut of the maker, don't like it after it sets on the heat.
 I pour it into the cup the two ice cubes make it just the right temp to drink.
 This is also when I remember to take my meds.
By the time I'm done with the first cup the temp is right for the second.
 I have no interest in giving up my coffee!
It's a pleasurable ritual.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
I keep telling myself I am going to quit coffee lately.  I've crunched the numbers and here is about what my bf and I spend on coffee per month (sales tax included):

1) Silk Cashew Milk = $40
2) Great Value Instant Coffee = $15
3) Liquid Stevia Drops = $20

This comes to $75 per month.  Or about $75,000 in 25 years if invested instead.  My home is currently worth around $75k.. so if we just quit the coffee it'd belike we were getting a free home in 25 years..

Problem is I want a cup of coffee right now because I am greatly desiring one.. so I am gonna go make a cup now lol. Sigh.  (I need to kick this like I did cigs 10 years ago).  [My BF is interested in quitting as well.. he's so supportive.. pretty much eats and drink anything I eat/drink.  He eats keto diet now as well and has shed like 25 pounds in the process.  I've lost like 90 pounds so far.]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:16:10 PM by JenniferW »

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
Like all addictions, it can be a roller coaster. I've given up coffee a few times for weeks at a time but always seem to fall off the wagon after a sleepless night or other caffeine emergency.    My spouse is hell on all drugs, including alcohol and caffeine so this adds some drama to the equation.

luciep

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »
I've never had coffee ever in my life. Does that make me more badass?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »

Definitely! :)

zurberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
Good job! That will put a nice chunk of change in your pocket.

I like to have a coffee in the morning and a few at work. I don't fancy drinking pop so it is either coffee or tap water for me. I used to take 2 sugar since the taste was too bitter but eventually weaned myself to just the tip of a teaspoon in my morning brew and just a bit of milk for any others I have during the day. 

I was given a Keurig for Christmas one year and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but realized that even getting a deal on the k-cup, the price is around 50 cents a pop. Doing the math over time showed that wasn't a good idea. Plus there is the needless plastic.  Even if I separated the recyclable parts and threw the used grounds in the compost, it is still a nuisance. I invested in a stainless steel EcoBrew pod I got on Amazon and now I can just put in any ground coffee and it is about 1/2 the price. Plus, I feel better about not making an environmental impact.

ian055

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Redpoint Life
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
Congrats! That's a huge savings too.

I gave up coffee for a couple of months once. But I don't think it's something I would ever want to give up permanently. I just like the taste and having something hot to drink. I have switched to drinking more decaf though.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

It lacks that delicious caffeine "bite". You all go ahead and quit your coffee.....more for me. :D

I can go right to sleep on a cup of coffee. I have decided it's like giving the stimulant meds to someone with ADD/ADHD. In fact, I've just finished a cup and will turn in early.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
Well the day before yesterday I threw the jar of instant coffee in the trash.  Wasn't so bad yesterday, I could definitely feel a difference.  But today, oh my, first I woke from a terrifying nightmare where I was dreaming someone had electrodes on each side of my head sending electricity through my brain.   Woke up with headache and got up to walk around and felt off.  Sat down I and then I felt really dizzy in a weird way I can't describe.  Felt nothing like this before.  Checked my blood sugar and blood pressure and they were okay.  I then googled about caffeine withdrawal symptoms and one of them was "dizziness".  Maybe I shouldn't of gone cold turkey! lol. Gonna try and stick this out.  Coming from quite a bit of caffeine per day.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
Well the day before yesterday I threw the jar of instant coffee in the trash.  Wasn't so bad yesterday, I could definitely feel a difference.  But today, oh my, first I woke from a terrifying nightmare where I was dreaming someone had electrodes on each side of my head sending electricity through my brain.   Woke up with headache and got up to walk around and felt off.  Sat down I and then I felt really dizzy in a weird way I can't describe.  Felt nothing like this before.  Checked my blood sugar and blood pressure and they were okay.  I then googled about caffeine withdrawal symptoms and one of them was "dizziness".  Maybe I shouldn't of gone cold turkey! lol. Gonna try and stick this out.  Coming from quite a bit of caffeine per day.

I had less than a week of withdrawal symptoms from going cold turkey a couple months ago. It was as you described it. I took no medicine, and just did my best to hydrate, and now I'm able to make it through all my days with minimal fatigue and with no stimulants. It was worth the pain, in my opinion.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »
Glad to know you are doing well now without coffee.

I suppose coffee wouldn't be that bad if I could control myself to where I was just drinking it in the morning like I used to, but I was finding I ended up drinking it all day.  Between my boyfriend and I the cream and the stevia was the most expensive part of the habit.. costing us $75 per month total for our habit.  That's more than it costs to run the air conditioner at 73F year round here in my home.

ninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
Glad to know you are doing well now without coffee.

I suppose coffee wouldn't be that bad if I could control myself to where I was just drinking it in the morning like I used to, but I was finding I ended up drinking it all day.  Between my boyfriend and I the cream and the stevia was the most expensive part of the habit.. costing us $75 per month total for our habit.  That's more than it costs to run the air conditioner at 73F year round here in my home.

Maybe it's not the coffee habit you need to kick but the creamer and Stevia you need to target. Black coffee - if you make it yourself is a super-cheap way to get some caffeine in your system - and it turns out it's pretty damn good if you get the good stuff.  If you really want your coffee to taste creamy - try putting in a pat of butter - seriously. It adds a creamy richness to your coffee at a fraction of the cost.

I personally hate it how coffee is always a target of financial advise... prepared coffee (by a Barista or a K-Cup) and the things you put in your coffee are the things we should be targeting.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »
Hope so, as I've never wanted it either. And I lived in Europe for 3 years watching everyone down espressos every morning.  One time someone bought me one not asking me first.  Had 2 tiny sips and had to stop as I couldn't take it. Convinced me I was making the right choice regarding coffee.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
I personally hate it how coffee is always a target of financial advise... prepared coffee (by a Barista or a K-Cup) and the things you put in your coffee are the things we should be targeting.

I understand why you would hate it, being coffee is your business.  Anyways, it's the target of my personal finance, not saying it should be for anyone else.  We can't drink coffee without cream and sugar -- we don't really care for it black.   I put butter in coffee all the time, that and coconut oil.  I am on keto diet and know about bullet proof coffee.  I was drinking 5 cups per day so was my bf.  That's 10 pats of butter per day. Basically the same as the $40 per month we were paying for cashew milk.

One

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
I read this book several years ago. I recall the author saying the coffee plants have a neurotoxin "caffeine" in the leaves that is a natural herbicide pesticide.  The leaves fall to the ground and the ground becomes so toxic nothing will grow there. I think he said that eventually they have to move the coffee fields due to soil toxicity. He talked about all the bias towards drinking coffee, said your doctor is probably addicted too so won't give good advice.

https://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-Americas-ebook/dp/B001IZC3VK#customerReviews

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 04:37:54 AM »
It's been eight days since I quit 5 strong cups of coffee per day.  Instead been drinking 2 cups of black tea per day.   Probably about 1/10th the amount of total caffeine.

At first it was really bad, tired / lethargic.  Felt dizzy one day.  But now I actually feel really good, full of energy.  I'm going to cut the tea down to one cup per day now, then ultimately drop that.

yorkville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »
I mostly gave up coffee because it stains teeth. However, it is an effective appetite suppressant, especially in the morning. I occasionnaly do a cup at home, and drink it through a straw.

Emily2651

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
I gave up coffee about two weeks ago. Honestly I’m just now starting to feel human again. It’s been a rough ride.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
I drink water over 90% of the time.  Coffee and Beer are the balance... and I love the flavors of both.

I may have a soft drink or juice or something else about once a month.

Thankfully I don't NEED coffee.  Today I had one cup, yesterday I had none.  Caffeine doesn't do anything for me so I don't miss it.

I actively try to restrict myself to the best tasting of both.  On the negative side, that can mean serving cost can go up.  I tend to like very flavorful versions...and those typically cost more.

On the positive side, I consume a bit less because the cost of the beverage always lingers in the back of my mind.

More sipping, less drinking....

I am intrigued by the butter/oil in coffee to better sate appetite.  A friend told me he despised it at first...after accidentally using salted butter in it to start  XD

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
Recently switched from coffee to tea. Mostly matcha, but not exclusively. So far the results have been great. I've also cut way down on alcohol consumption in favor of a more productive evening / next day.