Author Topic: Garden Badassity  (Read 1632 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Garden Badassity
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »
At Trader Joe's I saw a can of pasta sauce made from butternut squash. They were $4 each and a little light bulb popped on in my head because we have a huge amount of winter squash right now from our garden. So I took a quick picture of the label and was able to go home and make a huge batch of sauce from the squash, a bunch of tomatoes from our garden that really needed to be used, and some of our garden carrots. The only things I paid for were one onion and a half a container of vegetable broth that I bought for another recipe and didn't need all of. So I felt pretty good that I used a bunch of things that were on the edge of turning bad and I froze up 3 portions of pasta sauce.

After that I got to thinking what else could I do with this winter squash and I toyed around with a gnocchi recipe and ended up with some delicious squash gnocchi that I froze up as well.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
Re: Garden Badassity
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
I bake cubed butternut squash with one apple (peeled and diced) with a little butter  and brown sugar  (like a tablespoon of each -- for flavor).  It's a great side dish.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
I bake cubed butternut squash with one apple (peeled and diced) with a little butter  and brown sugar  (like a tablespoon of each -- for flavor).  It's a great side dish.
That's a great idea, especially since my kid has a tendency to take 2 bites out of an apple and abandon it. This would be a great way to use the apples.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
I'd love to know your squash gnocchi recipe!