Author Topic: From Food Stamps to $100K annual NET income- in THREE months!  (Read 12538 times)

mustachiogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
From Food Stamps to $100K annual NET income- in THREE months!
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
Ok... I am sharing this not only because I am DAMN proud of myself... but because I hope to inspire all my fellow Mustachians who are on this journey with me. I am a single mom to three kids ages 18, 12 and 9. I lost everything in the past year (materially speaking) including having my house foreclosed on, selling most of my posessions, and embezzling my little home business to try to pay bills. Then, I found out my daughter needed a spinal fusion surgery. Even though she had health insurance through her dad's job, the co-pays were in the thousands. Neither of us had the money, so I went to apply for Medicaid. When I was at the office, they told me that I qualified for Food Stamps... WHAT???? That was a serious low for me. I knew I needed to do something... and fast.

I began looking at my relationship to money. I grew up in a home that lived below the poverty line... and I realized that no matter how much or little money I have earned in my life, I have always kept myself at the poverty line through creation of debt, or quitting well-paying jobs. Something had to change. I was what needed to change.

After my daughter's surgery, I found a job through a temporary agency that is enough to cover our basic needs. With that covered, I was able to begin re-investing profits from my small business back into the biz. Within three months my profits have tripled!! I work hard at my temp job and yesterday they made me an offer for a permanent role. It is more money than I have ever been offered in my life. Combined, my net income from my business and my new job is over $100K annually!!

But here's the best part... because I have been devouring Mr. Money Mustache blog info, I have also changed how I am spending my money. I have paid off my car, and a small loan. I am postponing grad school until I finish paying off my undergrad degree. I have created a budget that is only 30% of my new annual income... that means that I will have about $70K per year to save/ invest etc. Since I have ZERO retirement savings, I am going to max out my 401K contribution at work. I will save the remainder...first for an emergency fund... then to buy a home. This time though, I won't be paying a mortgage. I will buy a home cash down, even if it means I have to wait a while. I never want to be in a position again where my home could be taken away.

And, in case you are thinking that $30k per year is too hard to live on... please know that my budget includes clothing, vacations, gifts, car repairs, cell phones for the teens, and money to dine out once a week!! That is not shabby living by any means!

Habits that took a lifetime to learn are not going to simply go away now that I've had a "financial rebirth". So, I have also enlisted the help of a therapist to keep me on-track toward my goals... yes, still within my budget :) Just this morning I told him that I wanted to quit my new job! SERIOUSLY!!! He mentioned that perhaps the mere thought of actually having "gobs" of money was terrifying to me, and so I was finding reasons to sabotage this good fortune. I thought about it, and I realized he is right. I am terrified. I have never known what it is like to have anything in savings. It feels foreign to me. Have you ever experienced something similar? It will take some time to undo my negative associations with money, and to build confidence that I can become a great money manager. I hope to share my experiences with those of you who can relate. And, I hope my sharing this story will also keep me accountable to reaching my goals, and perhaps inspire you to reach yours!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: From Food Stamps to $100K annual NET income- in THREE months!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Wow- well done!  This is awesome!

Something had to change. I was what needed to change.

Congratulations on the realization that most people will never, ever make in their life! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Badass.

As far as your final questions, my only advice is to read, read, read.  Get familiar and comfortable with the personal finance literature and with money.  You need to anchor your new mindset and remove fear, and knowledge is the best way to do that, IMO.

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
Congratulations!!  That's awesome.

Mustache Fatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
Logged in to just say WELL DONE!  Keep in mind that you deserve all of these good things and stay on your course.  Thanks for sharing your story--very inspirational.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
I have created a budget that is only 30% of my new annual income... that means that I will have about $70K per year to save/ invest etc.

Woot! Awesome job. You'll have less than $70K to invest/save since you'll pay taxes. You'll still have a good amount though! And living on $30K won't make people here bat an eyelash.

And, yes, I have felt that foreign feeling. Someone actually posted an article here about a woman who won the lottery and then spend MILLIONS. She lost/spent it all and is back at the poverty line again. She kept saying it was time to get back to "real life," and she is a prime example of someone who did not view having money as "real life."

I'm glad you have a therapist to keep you from self sabotaging. You seem quite self aware, which is a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:58:36 PM by oldtoyota »

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
I have created a budget that is only 30% of my new annual income... that means that I will have about $70K per year to save/ invest etc.

Woot! Awesome job. You'll have less than $70K to invest/save since you'll pay taxes. You'll still have a good amount though! And living on $30K won't make people here bat an eyelash.

$100K NET would be after taxes.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »
Congratulations. Keep checking back in here. It will keep you motivated and provide you with a support group.

I had a spinal fusion 13 months ago, so I understand how expensive and overwhelming that can be. Don't underestimate the toll that has likely paid on you as well. Even more badass given that.

Random

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »
Wow.   Just Wow.

Frugal_in_DC

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »
Amazing! You totally deserve a Gold Mustache award. :). As far as having gobs of money in savings, pretend it's not even there.  That's what I do.  Just keep building your 'stash.  Maybe check your balance no more frequently than 1x/month to keep building your confidence.  Instead of thinking of money as something that lets you buy stuff, think of it as your ticket down the road to a lifestyle where YOU get to decide how to spend the majority of your time.  Aside from emergency savings, put your money somewhere where it wouldn't be easy to get to, ie no online access.  Cheers!

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 06:45:45 AM »
How inspiring!

You have been very smart to enlist help with the emotional side of your journey.

You may already do it, but maybe donations or some form of help to people in need might help you adjust emotionally to your new lifestyle. Now that I've paid off all my debt and I'm starting to build a stash, I'm sometimes struck with a little guilt. I know it's irrational, traditional Catholic guilt that I grew up with. But it's still there. Somehow adding money to my gifts budget helped me feel a little better about it.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
Very badass.

I love reading stories like these. They really are truly inspiring.

Great job!

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
Great!  Please check in once a month or so and keep us updated on your experiences.  This is really fantastic.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it!

My daughter is getting fitted for a brace this week for pretty severe scoliosis, praying it doesn't need surgery at some point but it's very possible. I can only imagine what you have all gone through, very awesome that you reacted so well to all those stressors.

Wishing your daughter and you the very best!

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
Wow - thanks for sharing! You should be proud.

The only advice I can give so someone well on her way is to watch what you surround yourself by.  Limit any exposure to things/people/places that make you feel like you have to spend or you need things and surround yourself instead by things/people/places that make you feel self-reliant and secure even without spending.

Awesome.

mustachiogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
Hi Again,
Thank you all for replying with such enthusiasm and encouragement! Makes me feel even that much more excited to know that others feel inspired!!

"You may already do it, but maybe donations or some form of help to people in need might help you adjust emotionally to your new lifestyle."- Just wanted to add that I do make regular donations to a women's and children's shelter for those who have escaped domestic violence. It is a cause near and dear to my heart, and therefore deserves my time, and money.

I am really excited to see what I may be able to accomplish with the income I am now earning. It is inevitable that I will make some mistakes... this is completely new for me... but I also know that once I get moving in the right direction things will begin to feel more "natural". The only part that makes me a bit disheartened is that I cannot share my good news with the people who are currently in my life. Since no one in my extended family has ever mastered the art of money management, to tell them that I am now at this place in my life would cause all kinds of problems. It isn't that they don't earn great incomes themselves... but they also keep themselves in poverty by being in deep debt, and spending every penny they earn. So, sharing my good news on this forum has been a joyful experience for me. Thank you for allowing me to share my happiness and excitement!!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
Congratulations, mustachiogirl! I agree with the others about the realizations you posted about yourself. You are very wise and self-aware. I hope you make the best of your hard work and good fortune.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »
*High Five*

Now stay on track and don't quit that job! Embrace the success...don't run from it.

Some people need strife and drama in their life... don't bring that upon yourself, allow yourself to be happy and at peace with your success. Good luck.

mustachiogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it!

My daughter is getting fitted for a brace this week for pretty severe scoliosis, praying it doesn't need surgery at some point but it's very possible. I can only imagine what you have all gone through, very awesome that you reacted so well to all those stressors.

Wishing your daughter and you the very best!

I am very sorry your daughter and your family are going through this! I also hope she will not need surgery... and that she will not be too uncomfortable with her brace! I will keep your daughter in my prayers :)

mustachiogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

$100K NET would be after taxes.

Just to clarify... I DID say NET ... and I meant it :)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Wow, congrats!

little stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
Well done! Please keep posting your thoughts, trials, and successes. We will all learn through your examples. If I can only model your success a little bit, I will have made serious progress! Thanks for sharing. 

Soap box warning

My two cents....there is no shame in getting food stamps. That is what community and foundational support to help folks get through harder times is for. We collectively pay and give away huge sums of money to folks that have no right or need for it (see the loophole Congress gave the dialysis companies to get overpaid by $500 million a year http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/us/politics/health-lobby-tries-to-undo-dialysis-cuts.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
or the $53 billion a year cyber surveillance black box budget http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/black-budget/). When your family was in need, I am glad "we" could be there, in a way, to help just a little.

It is so easy for people to want to fixate on the needs and struggles of folks in need of just a little help, when folks at the top rip us off day in and day out without our culture imparting them with guilt and shame or the populace with outrage....

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
YOU GO GIRL!! Damn proud - you SHOULD be!!  Think of the example you are setting for your kids!!  TEACH them NOW about money management - saving and budgeting!!  All the best to you! 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »
With that covered, I was able to begin re-investing profits from my small business back into the biz. Within three months my profits have tripled!!
Since I have ZERO retirement savings, I am going to max out my 401K contribution at work.

Since you are self-employed, you can do better than maxing out your work's 401k. The retirement plans for self-employed people have higher contribution limits (25% of net earnings or $51,000, for example).

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
Awesome! Now stick with this job and keep your eyes on the prize: Putting that money away for your retirement and your children's futures.

YOU GO GIRL!! Damn proud - you SHOULD be!!  Think of the example you are setting for your kids!!  TEACH them NOW about money management - saving and budgeting!! All the best to you!

THIS! You can learn it together. They will probably see a very real difference in their lives! After we slashed our spending, I really have found more happiness in the things that we don't pay for. We have gone to the park, the library, and playground more; focusing on our family instead of our stuff.

mustachiogirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: UPDATE: From Food Stamps to $100K annual NET income- in THREE months!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
Ever hear the statement "when it rains it pours"? Well, my boss felt I was doing such a good job that he has already given me a raise!! Can you believe it? I haven't even gone to a permanent role yet, and he is signing me on for more money than intially offered!!!

I am astonished at my own life right now, lol.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
Ever hear the statement "when it rains it pours"? Well, my boss felt I was doing such a good job that he has already given me a raise!! Can you believe it? I haven't even gone to a permanent role yet, and he is signing me on for more money than intially offered!!!

AWESOME.  Congratulations!  Sounds like you have a boss who values you and your work-that's such a great thing to have.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
Wow you are doing great!

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
What kind of buiness are you running?  It sounds pretty good.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
Wow, congrats!  Will you share what your job and business are?  I'm curious...

blacktea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Totally awesome
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
Totally awesome. Stay on that track! Be a role model of your kids. They need you to show them how to live a normal live of not being under the poverty line. Whenever you feel the weakness in you, think again, for your kids.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
Wow- well done!  This is awesome!

Something had to change. I was what needed to change.

Congratulations on the realization that most people will never, ever make in their life!

x10!  And another heart-felt congratulations!!

FinancialIndependenceTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
I am PROUD of how you have turned your life around after going through so much. You are doing so well.

This is truly a blessing and finally has seen the great potential that you have

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!