Author Topic: Free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass  (Read 5911 times)

snakenbacon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass
« on: December 30, 2016, 07:45:04 AM »
For Canada's 150th birthday, they're giving away free admission passes to Canada's national parks. I know at least for USA and Canada, they ship them for free as well.

See link below:
http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
Cool! Anyone care to post some must visit parks? I feel like I'm pretty familiar with the major US based parks, but I'm woefully ill-informed about the options offered by our neighbors to the north (and maybe other posters on this forum are too).

*Edit: Here's a nice list of a few (with pictures): https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-canadian-national-parks-bannf-jasper-pacific-coast-trail -- I'd certainly be interested in hearing more from anyone with first hand experience though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:58:05 AM by terran »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
Wow, I bought one of these a few years back when we were travelling a bunch through CAN and it was NOT cheap! How amazing!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
Cool! Anyone care to post some must visit parks? I feel like I'm pretty familiar with the major US based parks, but I'm woefully ill-informed about the options offered by our neighbors to the north (and maybe other posters on this forum are too).

*Edit: Here's a nice list of a few (with pictures): https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-canadian-national-parks-bannf-jasper-pacific-coast-trail -- I'd certainly be interested in hearing more from anyone with first hand experience though.

We spent 2 weeks traveling around Banff, Jasper, Yoho, etc. It was beyond stunning. Someday I will make it up to Lake O'Hara. It's on my bucket list.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »

We spent 2 weeks traveling around Banff, Jasper, Yoho, etc. It was beyond stunning. Someday I will make it up to Lake O'Hara. It's on my bucket list.

I ordered this free pass a couple of weeks ago, and never received the e-mail they said they'd send to confirm the order.  Also never received the pass.  Tried again using a different e-mail address.  Fingers crossed.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »

I ordered this free pass a couple of weeks ago, and never received the e-mail they said they'd send to confirm the order.  Also never received the pass.  Tried again using a different e-mail address.  Fingers crossed.

Really? What a bummer. I wonder if they are just swamped with requests?

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
I ordered this free pass a couple of weeks ago, and never received the e-mail they said they'd send to confirm the order.  Also never received the pass. 

+1

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
I ordered this free pass a couple of weeks ago, and never received the e-mail they said they'd send to confirm the order.  Also never received the pass. 

+1

Perhaps a Mountie will be delivering it in person/horse?  ;-)

(With an apology, of course.)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I had heard about this, but hadn't acted on it until I saw this post.

Perhaps a Mountie will be delivering it in person/horse?  ;-)
(With an apology, of course.)

I have a close relative who's a Mountie (and looks fine in his Serge). He might deliver, but I doubt he'll apologize.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »

Kootenay Park (for Rockwall hike);  Banff and Jasper for anything.  Yoho for the emerald Lake / top road amazing views.  Pacific Rim National Park for the beaches, driftwood, grey wolves, storms, and surfing if you are into that  (with a short time in Tofino for fabulous restaurants).

Gros Morne Park for the incredible east coast ocean and rock scenery.

Those are the ones I have been to in the past couple of years, but there are more!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:07:53 PM »
I wish I'd written down when I tried to order mine. I'll give it a while as I'm sure they are swamped, then try again eventually.
I'm looking forward to doing the Banff/Jasper loop with the man on his motorcycle. Though I'm not sure if I can handle the speed. We've only done around 90 km/hr so far; 110 seems extreme and scary. I barely handle that in a car.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »
I wish I'd written down when I tried to order mine. I'll give it a while as I'm sure they are swamped, then try again eventually.
I'm looking forward to doing the Banff/Jasper loop with the man on his motorcycle. Though I'm not sure if I can handle the speed. We've only done around 90 km/hr so far; 110 seems extreme and scary. I barely handle that in a car.

Close your eyes, and go along for the ride. At 110kmh, you haven't even hit the speed limit on most interstates in the US. Those distances you'll be covering have 130kmh+ written all over them. Riding through Jasper National Park is epic. I made it through there last year.

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Free 2017 Parks Canada Discovery Pass
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
The demand for passes was far beyond what was expected. Awesome chance to visit national parks, just be aware that popular parks (especially the mountain parks including Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay) are going to be super crowded. I highly recommend visiting at off peak times and/or shoulder seasons, or visit some of the lesser-visited parks.

Might be a good time to check out the northern parks. Kluane and Nahanni are on my bucket list.

Edited to add: If you're going east, I highly recommend the Newfoundland parks, especially Gros Morne. Unique in North America and stunning. It's worth heading all the way north to L'Anse aux Meadows for the site of a Viking settlement. Other quieter parks to visit in the east are Kejimkujik, possibly Cape Breton Highlands (will be busy in the fall during the colour change). Fundy and Kouchibouguac during the winter. I'm in PEI and it's amazing in summer but it's going to be nuts in 2017 so I'd recommend planning a visit in 2018.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:36:47 AM by parkette »

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
. . . just be aware that popular parks (especially the mountain parks including Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay) are going to be super crowded. I highly recommend visiting at off peak times and/or shoulder seasons, or visit some of the lesser-visited parks.

. . . it's going to be nuts in 2017 so I'd recommend planning a visit in 2018.

I have to echo what parkette said.  By all means, come and check out our beautiful parks!  However, I would strongly suggest waiting until 2018 or later to maximize enjoyment. 

A family pass (covers the passengers in one vehicle) is only $168 CAD for the year, and it is essentially $20 for a day pass.  For me, the cost savings are NOT worth dealing with the crowds in these settings.  As an example, Banff NP had over 5 MILLION visitors last year - and it wasn't free!

That said, if you are willing to put on an overnight backpack, hiking boots and have someone drop you at a trailhead (good luck with parking) you will be able to get away from the "windshield tourists" and really have an exceptional experience (note: camping fees are NOT free, even in 2017.)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:21:12 PM by ToTheMoon »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
If you are comparing to USA, Yellowstone and Yosemite are 2x as busy as a peak season Banff / Jasper.   

It is quite easy to get away from the crowds by going for a backpack hike, camping away from HWY 1 / Banff corridor, etc.   We were able to get a camping spot at short notice at 6pm on a peak day in Banff, but we had to drive to 3 campsites and then ended up on the "cyclist overflow" spot in Yoho... which was still amazing.  Not even remotely possible at Yosemite.

For those fearing crowds, just plan the majority of your trip away from the lake louise to Banff townsite in peak summertime, and drive into the locations you want.   We were even able to get world premier backpack sites with 2 weeks notice, and same day availability for some...right next to Banff townsite..   other hikers we met commented on how uncrowded it was compared to john muir trail and appalachian trail, etc.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
If you are comparing to USA, Yellowstone and Yosemite are 2x as busy as a peak season Banff / Jasper.

. . . other hikers we met commented on how uncrowded it was compared to john muir trail and appalachian trail, etc.

Fair enough - I do forget that what people consider to be "crowded" is relative! :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
I just received mine yesterday - I live in Canada.  So anyone in the States waiting, don't give up hope.  I believe they only started mailing them out on the 14th of December, and Canada Post can be very slow, especially over the holidays.  They also include a brochure with all the places you can use it, which includes some national attractions like forts, etc. in addition to the parks.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 04:42:18 PM »
I'm going to echo the PEI, Nova Scotia, Cabot Trail and Bay of Fundy as great places to visit. Went to the UNESCO sites and camped at all of the parks. Camping fees were approx. $25 per night and totally worth it.
Stayed at Grand Manan island in Bay of Fundy and watched the whales breach and seals swimming from our campsite. At night I could hear the whales singing. It was amazing and memorable trip.
Would love to go back to PEI too.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
Waterton lakes, Banff, jasper (the icefield highway #93 is gorgeous). And I did a road trip across Canada trip a few years back, and I fell in love with gros morne, the Lanse aux meadows, and the bay of fundy.

The geology in gros  morne is spectacular, and inland fjords!e fundy tides are a force to be reckoned with!

And of course the Canadian Rockies are a beautiful backyard playground for us, I love backpacking in the shoulder seasons and staying in the huts, or even winter camping and snowshoeing. I tend to avoid the summer crowds, and definitely the long weekend/spring break crowds. I took my daughter to Yellowstone st 5 months and camped with her in September where overnight lows were around freezing... I prefer the cold to the people.

I seem to be woefully ignorant of middle Canada though... my ontarian parents would not be pleased...

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
We were doing a too short road trip through Western Canada last June (lots of daylight in Canada that time of year). I had never been anywhere near there. Amazing scenery

All the Alberta and BC national parks in the Rockies have a shared admission, even though some of them are cheaper.

We bought a one-day pass (actually 24 hours) for Waterton Lakes when we got there in the afternoon, then used it for the more expensive Banff admission where we stayed that night. Then we used it for three more parks the next day when we drove through Yoho, Glacier, and Revelstoke in BC the next day, taking short hikes in each of them. We never actually had to show our admission receipt to anyone to just drive around or park at trailheads but rangers theoretically check to make sure you are displaying the admission receipt on your windshield.

They are crowded in the summer but like someone said previously, no worse than American parks, and probably better

We even got an extra hour out of the 24 hour admission, because of the time change as we drove west to BC (we used that full extra hour).

Overall this would have been a stupid idea if we had more time because any of these parks I could/would have spent a full week or more at, but we didn't have the time. The Canadian Rockies are amazingly spectacular. I might try to get one of these passes if I can work out a schedule to make another trip next year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:02:46 PM by crimwell »

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
I only have experinece with a couple of parks in Nova Scotia and can say that they are usually only crowded on Canada Day.

I would recommend the Fortress of Louisbourg, great historic site, large, educational, but bring a sweater or parka, it's always cold. Its also just on the outskirts of a cute little village.

The Highlands park in the highlands of Cape Breton has great beaches and hiking trails, pretty drive.

And Kejimkujik Park is beautiful, lots of hiking.

I think we will spend more time this year going to some of the parks, yes they will be crowded, but here in the east likely not as much. I don't forsee me going to far west or north.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
We planned to go to Banff, Jasper, and Yoho last year but were unable to after my husband got hit by a car biking to work. 
I ordered a pass with a very rare hope that we may be able to go to Canada sometime this year instead; though we likely won't be able to go to Alberta/BC- just because there won't be enough vacation time next year.

Anyone have suggestions on a park that would have easy access from an airport, be enjoyable with a baby in a backpack, and make a good weekend trip?  The only place we've been in Canada is Montreal, so we have much left to explore!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I ordered my pass and hope to travel to Canada this year. Ive always wanted to do the trans Canada train ride so maybe I can combine the two.

Or rather, the three, if I combine it with attending CMC.

I'm hoping to learn about Canadian national parks on this thread.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 05:50:05 PM »
Daisy--did you receive a confirmation e-mail after you placed the order?  I did not, and I tried 3 times, with 2 different e-mail accounts (hotmail and yahoo).  So I'm not sure the order ever happened!  That's why I am hoping for the personal delivery by a Mountie.  :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
94, no I have not received an email confirmation. That mountie has a long way to go to make it to my home in South Florida. Ill keep an eye out for him or her. Maybe greet them with a Molson's?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
:)

If they get to my place first, I'll send them your way.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Just wanted to mention that mine finally arrived! Ordered in late December. Gearing up for travel season :)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
ours arrived last weekend !! we ordered right after I read the thread so on Dec 30

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
Our pass arrived this week. We also ordered as soon as we saw the post. Cheers!