Author Topic: Found a potentially useful idea using Vacation hours  (Read 3188 times)

jojoguy

• Bristles
Found a potentially useful idea using Vacation hours
« on: October 21, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »
  I just started doing this trick. I have worked for my employer for a long time. Long enough that I accumulate a little over a day`s worth of
vacation hours every 80 hours I work. I now get up to 250 hours(over 6 weeks) a year. Anyway, I have built up to
70 hours in the past couple of months, and because of wanting to make as much as I can, I want to take the 10 hours
I earn every two weeks and cash it out on each paycheck. It won`t count as overtime for me, but it will give me a few
hundreds dollars extra to put to work each month. The best part is I still earn vacation hours even while using vacation
hours! Not only that, but I am able to still have enough hours for when I actually do want to take a vacation if need be.
Doing the math it would give me an extra $3,000 - $3,500 a year take home money.

jojoguy

• Bristles
Re: Found a potentially useful idea using Vacation hours
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 06:30:05 AM »
I would just take more vacations...

Yeah, but I have always done that and end up spending a lot of money. If I follow this plan, I`ll always will have over at least a week
of vacation sitting there if I ever need it to take time off. On top of that, I`ve got over 7 weeks of sick hours if ever I need it in an emergency.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
Take 6 weeks off around holiday time.  Get a job in retail for the Christmas season.  Or if you want to get a better work out than you'd get at the gym, work for FedEx or UPS loading and unloading trucks.  At the end of your time off, you'll be glad to be back at work where you can relax.  :D

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 03:38:12 AM »
Take 6 weeks off around holiday time.  Get a job in retail for the Christmas season.  Or if you want to get a better work out than you'd get at the gym, work for FedEx or UPS loading and unloading trucks.  At the end of your time off, you'll be glad to be back at work where you can relax.  :D

I am only able to take vacation maybe within 8 months a year. Holidays are absolutely off of the table. At the same time, taking vacations are practically
penalizing to me. I manage certain areas in my work place, and if I take off a week, I come back to a hell storm. Honestly, I don`t mind my job. I especially
enjoy the overtime too.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »

I am only able to take vacation maybe within 8 months a year. Holidays are absolutely off of the table. At the same time, taking vacations are practically
penalizing to me. I manage certain areas in my work place, and if I take off a week, I come back to a hell storm. Honestly, I don`t mind my job. I especially
enjoy the overtime too.

Ahh, I had a job like that and never took more than a week off every year.
If taking your vacation time is stressful, then yeah, cashing it in finding a better job makes sense.
Fixed that for you!

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »
I do something kinda similar...we're allowed to cash out up to 80 hrs a year, so I've gotten into the habit of doing so in a lump every January.

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
I decided to do this as well to help speed up FIRE and increase my savings rate. My job very stress free and gives me WFH so I rarely feel the need to take a day off. $6300 extra a year in savings.