Author Topic: Food in microwave mugs - share your recipes  (Read 3050 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Food in microwave mugs - share your recipes
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
First of all, I own a couple of these and they have changed my life.  Bought them at the Corningware outlet for only a few bucks and the tops are sturdy and the pop up tab prevents microwave explosions:

https://www.amazon.com/Corningware-20-Ounce-Vented-French-White/dp/B0002KZMCO

Now when I bring my thrifty homemade soups for lunch I don't end up with a mess all over my lunch bag.

I use them to make breakfast at work (after I work-out each morning I can't go home and still get to work on time.)  At the beginning of each week I mix up a few eggs in a mason jar and bring canadian bacon and other fixings (veg, cheese).  I layer it all in one of my mugs and microwave it for about a minute and a half.  It pops out in a "disc" and makes a perfect breakfast sandwich on an english muffin.  Now my favorite brekkie costs about 50 cents per serving and is pretty nutritional to boot.

Anyone else doing healthy foods in microwave mugs?  Do share.

Trede

• Stubble
Re: Food in microwave mugs - share your recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
I have plastic versions of this, similar size, set of four.  In addition to portioning leftovers directly into them throughout the week, sometimes I'll cook on Sunday and line up my four mugs to fill for the week.  One of my favorite go-to's is a made-up vegetarian succotash (I made it up after buying a pre-packaged convenience food in the organics aisle at the grocery and quickly realized I could make my own).  I think you could actually just throw the ingredients in the mug raw and use the microwave for cooking, but during the summer this also makes a nice room temperature or even cold salad if you've cooked the mix ahead of time.

Basically all I do is in a big pot, put a mix of diced fresh vegetables and beans (I use rinsed canned beans for convenience), robust flavor olive oil, and a spice mix (whatever I have on hand... I tend to have a lot of little Penzeys blends from gifts).  For example: fresh corn cut off the cob, diced red and green peppers, carrots, red onions, with white beans and kidney beans and a French spice blend.  Just cook until the veggies are desired texture and transfer to mugs.  You could make a Mexican version of this with spicier options and themed seasoning (e.g., poblano peppers, black and pinto beans, etc.).  Not vegetarian?  Add rotisserie chicken or cooked shrimp or such.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:41:01 AM »
That sounds very tasty!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
I make scrambled eggs in a standard coffee mug. Here's the recipe:

Two eggs
Slice of cheddar cheese (no need to grate it, it melts just fine)

Stir up the eggs.
Microwave for 30 seconds
Stir and break up chunks again
Microwave another 30 seconds and stir.

Then you may or may not need to microwave for another 10 seconds or so, depending on how soft you like your scrambled eggs.

This, and a slice of toast with some butter - an excellent and delicious start to the day!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Posting to follow for more fantastic recipe tips - the eggs/bacon in mason jar is a fantastic time-saver!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:21 PM »
Posting to follow.

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »
I make what I call "College Pad Thai"

Recipe:
5 oz cooked rice
1 egg
.5 oz peanuts
Thai sauce to taste

Whip the raw egg into the cooked rice, and microwave for 30 seconds. Take it out, stir it, and microwave it again for another 20-30 seconds. Add peanuts, thai sauce, and occasionally I'll have some left over carrots or broccoli and I'll toss those in there as well. Super easy light lunch or dinner.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 07:23:39 AM »
Had a bad sweets craving the other night with absolutely nothing in the house so I made this "cake":

4 Tbs biquick
4 Tbs water
4 tsp brown sugar (I KNOW)
2 tsp oil
a hefty douse of cinnamon

microwave for 1:45

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Milk and cookies:

1.5 cups milk
3-6 cookies (to taste)

1)  Add milk to mug
2)  Dip cookies.
3)  Enjoy!

Trede

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
My mug meal recipe this week is Greek-themed:
Mix of chick peas, artichoke hearts, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes and red pepper, topped with feta cheese, all tossed in a homemade Greek-style vinaigrette (juice of one lemon, 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp dried oregano, and salt and pepper to taste).