Author Topic: Fixed a broken zipper on my jacket  (Read 1735 times)

Gyosho

• Stubble
Fixed a broken zipper on my jacket
« on: September 27, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
For the past few weeks I noticed that the zipper on my favorite jacket wasn't working.

My default thought was, "I'll have to buy a new jacket, but I really like this one! Too bad I have to get rid of this jacket just because the zipper isn't working."

Then I realized, I could FIX the zipper! That is what thrifty Americans of the past would have done.

I Google'd instructions on how to fix broken zippers. (Not sure what thrifty Americans did before Google? I guess they used BOOKS like "The Tightwad's Gazette"). Found instructions. Zipper fixed in 10 minutes! My favorite jacket - saved!

I was alarmed when I realized how close I was to buying in to consumerism with the automatic thought that I should buy a new jacket just because the zipper was broken in my current jacket.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
Re: Fixed a broken zipper on my jacket
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
Awesome!  Good job!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
Great job. A couple of years ago I had the zipper in my winter coat replaced instead of buying a new coat. I thought I was being thrifty, but you did much better than I did. Way to go.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
Nice!

If you ever have to literally cut yourself out of a garment (in my case, a beloved dress) because the zipper broke halfway up and locked in place, cut right along the zipper itself and then just have the entire zipper pulled out at the seam and replaced. I'm useless with a sewing machine so I took my dress and a new matching zipper to a local tailor for replacement, but if you can sew you'd only be out the cost of a zipper.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
What exactly did you do to fix the zipper?  I have one not working on my favorite jacket.  Did you just crimp the zipper head?  Or did you have to replace the entire zipper and zipper pull?

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
I rubbed a bar of soap on all the zipper teeth.

Then I crimped the zipper head with some pliers. Pulled it up and down a few times - it worked! Soap disappeared from the zipper after I zipped up and down several times.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
thanks.  I have done the crimping thing before and it fixed it for a short time, then it stopped working again.  Hopefully yours keeps holding.  I will give it another try on my jacket. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
Cool! I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago. I have a motorcycle jacket (read: expensive and important for safety) and the "stopper" (???) came off of the zipper at the top, which enables the zipper pull to come right off the jacket. Damn...I really didn't want to have to replace that jacket. Did a little googling, bought a 10-cent part on Amazon (but I had to buy a bag of them for around $7 if I remember correctly), and fixed it in two minutes. Google and Amazon saved the day!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip about using google to find out how too repair a zipper. I try to prevent problems by applying solid lubricant to zippers on pants after washing. Solid lubricant is meant for car door strikers, and comes in a stick. Soap works too, but I think solid lubricant is better.

foobaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »
Great! Small win, but it all adds up.

VividPixels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this idea! I was just about to throw out my jacket because the zipper pull broke, but you've inspired me to buy zipper pulls and try to repair it instead.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!